Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2020 Draft Positioning Thread: We're #2!

GhostofSparta

23 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I see, more so then head to head? I thought that mattered, too...

The first tiebreaker is always SOS, then a coin flip if tied on SOS. Which by the way is just unbelievably stupid. Why on earth a coin flip. Just find another way of tiebreaking, like Point Differential or something. A coin flip is just beyond idiotic. 

On 12/1/2019 at 6:04 PM, Skin'emAlive said:

Jeudy has been locked in as the number 1 wr for two years, and has an elite ability very few others have. DJ Moore and Chris Godwin are very good, but are not game changers. Mike Evans, Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, DeAndre Hopkins, AJ Green... Those are elite players that change the game. The DJ Moore's of the league can be found in the 3rd round ( like McLaurin), but they rarely take over a game like the elite guys do.

Fantasy numbers mean nothing with regards to real success

With all due respect, Godwin is upper echelon this year....definitely a game changer. He is outstanding. I'd put him ahead of AJ Green for sure and even Julio Jones and Larry Fitz this year. Would love to get Godwin here to pair with Terry Mac.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

With all due respect, Godwin is upper echelon this year....definitely a game changer. He is outstanding. I'd put him ahead of AJ Green for sure and even Julio Jones and Larry Fitz this year. Would love to get Godwin here to pair with Terry Mac.

Mike Evans put up 3 200 yard games when single covered this year. He is as elite as it gets. When you have an elite wr, you get double coverage every down. Godwin isn’t at that level. Without guys like Julio Jones, guys like Calvin Ridley and Mohammed Sanu are average. 

23 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

The first tiebreaker is always SOS, then a coin flip if tied on SOS. Which by the way is just unbelievably stupid. Why on earth a coin flip. Just find another way of tiebreaking, like Point Differential or something. A coin flip is just beyond idiotic. 

...This is incorrect.  I hate using Wikipedia but the NFL website is blocked at work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#Rules_for_determining_draft_order

Notice how coin flip is number 4.  Well, each of the things that make up part 2 and part 3 are like 4-6 sub-tiebreakers, so a coin flip is something like tie-breaker #12.  It pretty much never happens.

@GhostofSparta if i have time, I may put something together for you to make use of, since we're down to the last 1/4 of the season.

3 hours ago, Forehead said:

Also, for what it is worth, we're never going to get SOS on the Giants...if your primary concern is a high pick, they need to beat us and win at least one more game while the Skins lose out.  I'll try to go into detail later.

I know I pointed this out earlier in the thread, but I'll repeat it here:

The Redskins and Giants have 14/16 games in common. The killer for SoS is that we played the 10-2 49ers and the Giants played the 3 win Cardinals. There's simply no way we make that up. 

I truly hate the fact that it's still possible to get swept by the Giants and STILL have them pick ahead of us.

No major shakeups after last night, but SoS has been updated, so we're ready to go for the next week.

51 minutes ago, GhostofSparta said:

I know I pointed this out earlier in the thread, but I'll repeat it here:

The Redskins and Giants have 14/16 games in common. The killer for SoS is that we played the 10-2 49ers and the Giants played the 3 win Cardinals. There's simply no way we make that up. 

I truly hate the fact that it's still possible to get swept by the Giants and STILL have them pick ahead of us.

No major shakeups after last night, but SoS has been updated, so we're ready to go for the next week.

Yeah, no worries, that was directed to a lot of the folks in general, not you.  The only teams that matter as far as the Giants are concerned are the Bucs-Panthers, a wash at 5-7, and the 49ers-Cards, which sucks for us.

To be honest, I started looking through but there are still too many "key" games right now.  We're lucky that a lot of the crappy teams we're competing with play each other the last four weeks, and someone has to win, as long as it isn't us.

14 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Mike Evans put up 3 200 yard games when single covered this year. He is as elite as it gets. When you have an elite wr, you get double coverage every down. Godwin isn’t at that level. Without guys like Julio Jones, guys like Calvin Ridley and Mohammed Sanu are average. 

Chris Godwin is just 23 years old, 2nd in the NFL in receiving yards to Michael Thomas and tied for first in TD's. I get it that he plays with Mike Evans but I'd argue that Godwin is one of the top 5 WR's in the NFL this year and moving forward. Upper echelon for sure....

On 12/2/2019 at 6:28 PM, GhostofSparta said:

I actually like the idea of a coin flip, I just think it's done wrong. I think the team that loses the coin flip should pick first, because they obviously have worse luck.

😄😄😄  I agree 100%.  So the draft order should be derived as follows:  (1) worst record, (2) worst SOS, and (3) worst luck via coin flip.

And everybody knows the Redskins would lose the coin flip!!!  🤗

I see a lot of positive stuff being written about the Dolphins concerning the draft picks they picked up but I wonder if they just cycled out good talent only to have to redraft it next year.

Tannehill is playing really well and before this week's games, Tunsil was rated the #2 LT for pass blocking in the NFL by PFF.

Atlanta winning was the only real good thing that happened so far as it gives us a cushion there.  New York winning tomorrow would make the whole week worth it.  Cincy losing today sucked as it basically put #1 out of reach.  New England will kill them next week and even though their last two games are MIami and Cleveland, it is hard to imagine them winning both.

Where is the OP getting the SOS numbers, they don't match up with ESPN.

Edit: So it looks like Tankathon uses all 16 opponents' current records as of today to calculate SOS or what they should call WOS but maybe NFL.com doesn't do that.  Even if the Giants beat us it looks like we will have a tough time catching them because they play 2 really bad teams and another who will be floating around .500 or so.  We play 1 really bad team and two .500 teams.

2128538741_Annotation2019-12-10085705.png.ae851d7b9687d8bd2acbd6df956c429b.png

On 12/1/2019 at 5:27 PM, Forehead said:

Back when I used to do the draft position thread (and earned my awesome title) this was what made me pull my hair out.  No matter how often I explained the steps that determined draft order (i even had it in the OP), multiple people kept asking this stuff over and over.

On 12/1/2019 at 5:43 PM, GhostofSparta said:

@Forehead, my God man, how the hell did you do this so many years? I almost feel like I need to edit the Title and put at the very beginning that SoS is the most important thing after record.

Anyway, updated after the 1 PM games. I'll update once more after the 4 PM games are done.

I was thinking we needed headers like a word doc, but a title edit would do just that. 

I also don't know how you guys do it.  I mean putting it all in the OP should make a difference.

Getting the second pick will be hard because it looks like we may lose the tiebreaker against both the Giants and Dolphins.   Thus we need the Giants to beat us and the Dolphins and for the Dolphins to pick up another win somewhere.  With only 3 games left that doesnt seem likely.  Plus our schedule of the struggling Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys gives us a chance in arguably all three games.  I doubt we would win all 3 but its definitely possible we win at least one of them.  At this point I am not expecting the number 2 pick.

Archived