Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2020 Draft Positioning Thread: We're #2!

GhostofSparta

22 minutes ago, zskins said:

What if Chase doesn't declare? Maybe another team wants that spot? Plus you will be picking 2nd on every round and I think people forget about that. The whole draft matters not just the 1st round.

True, except for no 2nd rounder.  No one thinks the Redskins are one player away from the promised land -- that's not the point about Young.  And as for other picks, yeah agree we got a full draft, its part of the reason why IMO you go BPA and not worry about need too much. 

The pick has to be Chase Young if we keep the #2 pick.

Alternative scenario that I support: Trading back from 2, getting a couple of firsts, and snagging Isiah Simmons and a LT (If Trent doesn't come back). If Trent comes back there is more leeway with what you do with the second #1.

If we don't wind up with multiple picks + Simmons OR Chase Young and the Skins draft at #2, we've failed.

For those clamoring for Offensive Line, it's not like there is a stud in this year's draft such as a Trent Williams, Joe Thomas, Tony Boselli. Even high picks don't work out like Jake Mathews, Robert Gallery. (He did have a decent career at guard). I think most would agree Andrew Thomas is this year's top lineman. Some like Wirfs better. Neither are worthy of the #2 selection. I also understand those in the OL corner would say we should trade back.

When a talent such as  Chase Young comes along, you don't hesitate to run to the podium. 

Guys, you’re overthinking this. If we get #2 and Chase is there, we take him. He’s going to be what Sean Taylor was for us but at the most important position on the defense. Daniel Jones & Carson Wentz are shaking at the thought of Chase coming in here and blasting their pasty white asses for the next decade+.

40 minutes ago, Bobby Peppers said:

For those clamoring for Offensive Line, it's not like there is a stud in this year's draft such as a Trent Williams, Joe Thomas, Tony Boselli. Even high picks don't work out like Jake Mathews, Robert Gallery. (He did have a decent career at guard). I think most would agree Andrew Thomas is this year's top lineman. Some like Wirfs better. Neither are worthy of the #2 selection. I also understand those in the OL corner would say we should trade back.

When a talent such as  Chase Young comes along, you don't hesitate to run to the podium.  

i am probably one of the most pro-OL guys when it comes to the first round pick in this draft and even i wouldn't consider picking Thomas, Wills, or Wift over Young.  They all seem to be clearly a tier below him.

“We’re competitive guys. It’s our job to go out there and win.” Redskins running back Chris Thompson said. “I know the fans and stuff. If we win more games then that means - as I’ve seen some people say - no Chase Young, which is funny. But we go out there to win games and as fans you should expect nothing less than for us to go out there and give it our all and try to win. That’s what we get paid to do is to go out there and perform, win games, have good games. Well, at least try to each and every week.”

Twitter told a different story as fans of the Redskins, Giants, Dolphins and Bengals all freaked out that their teams might actually win a game and hurt their draft status. LSU quarterback Joe Burrow, the Heisman Trophy winner, is the consensus No. 1 pick for now and Cincinnati desperately needs a young quarterback. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/wild-two-hours-where-fans-nfls-four-worst-teams-couldnt-decide-if-they-wanted-their-team

^ I can appreciate what Thompson said - I would expect nothing else from players or coaches.  Having said that - getting a potentially dominant player makes Fans Giddy and I would assume players could understand that as well - especially when the 2019 season is lost.

I am excited about the prospects of Young (or a boat load of picks in a trade scenario).  

Sounds like there is little doubt that Young is coming out.

https://thespun.com/college-football/chase-young-nfl-draft-after-playoff

1 hour ago, Bobby Peppers said:

Agree.  It's not like its first round or bust with the O line.  Contanzo in FA?  They get a 2nd for Trent and use it for someone like Josh Jones?  

This team IMO lacks game breakers.  Guice might be that dude but hopefully he can still healthy. Ditto McLaurin.   But there is no killer player on defense.  We got some good players on defense but no game wreckers.  Not that PFF is the be all and end all but I don't think they are wildly off the mark either.  Our best guys on defense our in the low 70s.  Other teams have dudes in the high 80s, early 80s. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 11.31.57 AM.png

31 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If we beat Dallas, then #5 is the farthest we can fall...correct?

Cause I really want to beat Dallas.

I believe it's 5.  If they drop though past #2, I don't care where they'd fall in the top 10.  Once you get past the 2nd pick, I think you got a bunch of very good albeit distinctly inferior IMO players to Young, all in a similar range of ability. I wouldn't care much if I had Thomas versus Wirfs or Jeudy versus Thomas or Simmons, etc.  But that's me. 😀

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Well, srew that tweeter ****er..throw your ass out the window and find a new team to root for..YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. I'll stand on this podium year in year out arguing till I'm blue in the face!!..should have beat the eagles giants and should beat the cowboys. 

Try this on for size..I would want chase young to go to the giants. That way i could enjoy watching him terrorize the skins qb for the next ten years and see him in a successful organization being used properly as opposed to here where hes not used properly has a different coach every other year and it's another pissed away talented high draft pick..but that's ok we'll suck just as bad the following year for that high draft pick..and so forth and so on...

5 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Try this on for size..I would want chase young to go to the giants. That way i could enjoy watching him terrorize the skins qb for the next ten years and see him in a successful organization being used properly as opposed to here where hes not used properly has a different coach every other year and it's another pissed away talented high draft pick..but that's ok we'll suck just as bad the following year for that high draft pick..and so forth and so on...

then you're a fan of players and not a team, alsdo a good player on another team makes it HARDER for the Skins to improve AND they're generally condemned for hanging onto bad coaches to long not changing them to often

How many years have we watched this team win meaningless games at the end of the season, end up with a mediocre pick, and then complain at how other franchises have better talent? For the love of god, lose this game. There is nothing to play for. 

If I’m Snyder, I’m going up to case and laying a contract Extension out on the table. He’s got one job sunday: secure number two without getting anyone injured. 

Josh Norman should start. 

7 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

How many years have we watched this team win meaningless games at the end of the season, end up with a mediocre pick, and then complain at how other franchises have better talent? For the love of god, lose this game. There is nothing to play for. 

If I’m Snyder, I’m going up to case and laying a contract Extension out on the table. He’s got one job sunday: secure number two without getting anyone injured. 

Josh Norman should start. 

Yep. 2011 still haunts us to this day. We won a couple meaningless games late to go 5-11 instead of 3-13. If we had went 3-13 we could have had RG3 without having to give up all those picks(sure he might still have busted but at least we'd have 1sts in 2013 and 2014 to still stock up the roster).

We need to do everything in our power to not win this game while maintaining the illusion of fair play. Onside kick everytime. Fake punt or go for every reasonable 4th down. All out blitz as often as possible. Make super risky play calls. Try to jump the snap count everytime. I'd even pull a Dak and say "kick" if we win the opening coin toss.

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep. 2011 still haunts us to this day. We won a couple meaningless games late to go 5-11 instead of 3-13. If we had went 3-13 we could have had RG3 without having to give up all those picks(sure he might still have busted but at least we'd have 1sts in 2013 and 2014 to still stock up the roster).

We need to do everything in our power to not win this game while maintaining the illusion of fair play. Onside kick everytime. Fake punt or go for every reasonable 4th down. All out blitz as often as possible. Make super risky play calls. Try to jump the snap count everytime. I'd even pull a Dak and say "kick" if we win the opening coin toss.

Were talking about the Redskins.  All they have to do to lose is show up.  

merry Christmas 

28 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Were talking about the Redskins.  All they have to do to lose is show up.  

merry Christmas 

If I know DC, Callahan will be “ coaching for his job” and try to win the damn thing. If there is anything that I would expect in this situation, it is for the skins to win this game, and then have to listen to players who are the way out ( Chris Thompson) about how you play to win the game. 

On 12/23/2019 at 11:33 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  It's not like its first round or bust with the O line.  Contanzo in FA?  They get a 2nd for Trent and use it for someone like Josh Jones?  

This team IMO lacks game breakers.  Guice might be that dude but hopefully he can still healthy. Ditto McLaurin.   But there is no killer player on defense.  We got some good players on defense but no game wreckers.  Not that PFF is the be all and end all but I don't think they are wildly off the mark either.  Our best guys on defense our in the low 70s.  Other teams have dudes in the high 80s, early 80s. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 11.31.57 AM.png

What is this source, I find it interesting?  I was about to post how fans have overrated Jonathan Allen, he has been pretty good but certainly not the difference maker we expected on draft day. While I think this is pretty accurate overall having Allen below Sweat is a bit of a head scratcher. 

Archived