Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2020 Draft Positioning Thread: We're #2!

GhostofSparta

40 minutes ago, dckey said:

How are we 4 when our SOS is the lower then Giants and Dolphins?

our win over the Dolphins should be the reason we're behind them, but the Giants beat us so they should be behind us

Giants and Dolphins still play each other so that should be good for one of them to get their third win which could take care of that situation for us

1 hour ago, carex said:

I don't watch college football, but drafting someone just to keep him from someone else is dumb

Also dumb is winning late season meaningless games and then trading 3 firsts to move back up to where you were going to end up to draft a bust.

Then 1/2 a decade later do the same exact moronic ****.

8 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Also dumb is winning late season meaningless games and then trading 3 firsts to move back up to where you were going to end up to draft a bust.

Then 1/2 a decade later do the same exact moronic ****.

may as well just forfeit then

oh, and we only won two games in the last 13 weeks of the 2011 NFL season.  We had more wins after the first month of 2011 than the Rams in the entire season

12 hours ago, dckey said:

How are we 4 when our SOS is the lower then Giants and Dolphins?

Here are the current SoS according to http://www.tankathon.com/nfl (I won't update the SoS again until tomorrow after all the week's games are done)

Giants: .466

Dolphins: .503
Redskins: .509

So as of right now, the Giants have the weakest/lowest SoS among the 3 2-win teams. According to the draft rules, the team with the weakest SoS is the worst, so they get to go first.

BTW, we really need to Giants to win. There is a massive SoS disparity despite only having 2 games be different. Those 2 games?

NFC South: Redskins play the Panthers (5-6), Giants played the Bucs (4-7)

-not too terrible, but...

NFC West: Redskins played the 49ers (10-1), Giants played the Cardinals (3-7-1)

-Ouch

12 hours ago, carex said:

our win over the Dolphins should be the reason we're behind them, but the Giants beat us so they should be behind us

Giants and Dolphins still play each other so that should be good for one of them to get their third win which could take care of that situation for us

10 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Giants should be behind us. They beat us and have two NFC conference wins. 

First tie breaker is Strength of Schedule (SoS), not head to head. You're thinking of playoff tiebreakers, which don't come into effect unless 2 teams have the exact some SoS.

12 hours ago, carex said:

SOS is the first tiebreaker - Even if the Giants were to beat us again but had a lower SOS they'd pick before us if we ended up with the same record.  The Redskins currently have a higher SOS over the Dolphins and Giants which is why we are #4 (Redskins .5085 > Dolphins .5029 > Giants .4659).

If the Panthers beat us, I think we'll be OK. I know, I hate saying that but the current situation is what it is. I hate the SOS when it comes to the draft, but I guess they have that so teams don't intentionally tank. It's just a number floating out there. Something like that, I don't know. If your tied with another team in your division, and they beat you twice, who's the better team? Sucks.

18 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Even if we end up at 4 I think getting OL's Andrew Thomas or Tristan Wirfs is OK with me. If we end up at 2 or 3 but ahead of the Giants, I'm sure it'll be Young.

I'm not sure either OT is worth it at 4.  Thomas is far from sure fire, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is a bust (flowers 2.0?), And wirfs seems to have a lower ceiling according to some: 

"He does not project with true swing ability and would struggle as a LT in the NFL. Can play RT but may struggle against athletic pass rushers in the NFL, but skill set is best suited as a OG. "

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/tristan-wirfs/nEYtBnayEh

i don't feel comfortable taking an OT high in this draft.

5 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Thanks for clearing that up @GhostofSparta

I think the Giants will beat the Dolphins and us to finish 4-12. We don't match up will with the Giants - or anyone for that matter but especially a talented RB like Saquon

I think our d line is going to handle their weak oline.  Saquon isn't 100%,and has looked average.  I think it's going to be a close game unfortunately.  I have a feeling we beat them and shoot ourselves in the foot.

18 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

I hear you. The mocks have us drafting either one around that spot. If we were to pick at 4 (w/Young, Burrows, and Herbert already gone) who would you pick? 

As we stand today, I'd hope we:

1.  If the medicals check out on tua, seriously consider taking him.  I don't feel he deserves the injury prone label, and his combo of accuracy, vision/reads, and mobility are why he is considered a franchise QB, and those players are worth taking the risk on.  Having Haskins in the fold is irrelevant, you don't pass on taking a franchise QB.

That being said, I can understand how a serious hip injury can scare teams away, and then that seed starts to lead to people questioning his arm strength, etc, and he is hard to take with such a premium pick.  If that's the case and we pass on tua, I'd hope plan B is:

1.  Trade back, if anyone offers equitable picks according to the trade chart, jump on it, especially a 2021 1st in the year of Lawrence.

2.  Jerry jeudy wr bama - scouts salivate over his route running and speed.  A pure game changer.  I would love to see him and Terry terrorizing defenses for a decade.  Would lessen the pressure on whomever is our future QB.  Not many weaknesses in his game.  

3.  Jeffrey okudah cb Ohio St - great prospect at a premium position.   Good size and speed.  Scouts feel like he will improve as well.  

I feel after a healthy tua, young, and burrows (who may still come back down to earth by April), there is a drop-off to the next tier, and after jeudy and okudah, there is a drop-off to the next tier as well.  I think we may see jeudy in that top tier after the draft process rolls out as well.  I love jeudy as a prospect, the only thing I don't like about him is the position he plays.  I feel at a time we are this bad with this type of season, we need to come out of it with a franchise QB or game changing pass rusher.  I feel that's our only hope of turning it around.  But you could make a case that it's not a bad time to get a stud wr, generally regarded as an elite prospect, a "safe" top pick, who we can line up across from another stud wr and help our QBs development.  As of now, if franchise QB / Chase young isn't an option, and we can't find a trade partner, I run up to the podium to get jeudy.  Taking one of the OTs over him due to Trent's void would be short sighted and foolish.

21 minutes ago, GhostofSparta said:

Updated with the new SoS's. We are SO close to jumping Miami, but not quite there yet.

I haven't done the math but the Dolphins got the Giants, Jets and Bengals coming up.  I am somehow doubting that the tie break win percentage breaks our way in the last 5 games.   We have the Giants but I don't think any other losing team.    Dolphins do have the Pats but I figure the Bengals balance that out nicely for them. 

I still think we're in decent shape to end up #2.... MIA still gets to play both Cincy and the Giants, I'm counting on them winning one of those to get to 3 wins...

Giants play Miami and us, I'm counting on them winning one of those to get to 3 wins...

We still have Carolina, Giants, Philly, Green Bay, and Dallas ... NOT counting on us winning any of them 

Very doubtful that CIN will win two games (actually quite possible that they don't win any), so #1 is most likely out, but #2 is still a decent possibility.

Even though I know that losing the Detroit game on Sunday would have been a better long-term outcome, I actually went to the game and took my 13-year old son, it's the only game we'll make in person this year, so I'm still glad we won...  

I posted this in the 2020 discussion thread:

Miami: 2-9 (.488)

Vs Philly

@NYJ

@NYG

Vs Bengals

@ Pats

NYG: 2-9 (.463)

Vs Packers

@ Eagles

Vs Dolphins

@ Redskins

Vs Eagles

Was: 2-9 (.525)

@Panthers

@Packers

vs Eagles

vs Giants

at Cowboys

Denver: 3-8 (.542)

vs Chargers

@Texans

@Chiefs

vs Lions

vs Raiders

Atlanta 3-8 (.570)

vs Saints

vs Panthers

@49ers

vs Jaguars

@Bucs

13 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

I hear you. The mocks have us drafting either one around that spot. If we were to pick at 4 (w/Young, Burrows, and Herbert already gone) who would you pick? 

They need to trade down far enough to regain a second-round pick.

Added:  No matter how the game ends between the Giants and Dolphins, the Redskins will pick higher than one or both (if they play each other to a tie) and the Redskins lose out.  All bets are off, however, if the Redskins manage to beat the Giants.  They could end up as low as seven.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't done the math but the Dolphins got the Giants, Jets and Bengals coming up.  I am somehow doubting that the tie break win percentage breaks our way in the last 5 games.   We have the Giants but I don't think any other losing team.    Dolphins do have the Pats but I figure the Bengals balance that out nicely for them. 

Sense I've gotten is that in order to move up, we need to lose out, and hope for some breaks to get to #2, while we have some buffer protection if we win 1 game, possibly 2 in that we win tiebreakers w/most of the teams w/3 wins save for 1. Just praying we lose out. 

Is everyone here rooting for Miami to beat the Giants in week 15?

If they do, then all we have to do is lose to the Giants the following week.

Of course we have to lose the other games too.

Cincy starting Andy Dalton again does give us hope that they win a few games too.

7 hours ago, nonniey said:

BPA - Jeudy

You don't take WR's that high, especially when you are working with multiple deep WR drafts, and that's what we have in '19-'20-'21. It's just not a sufficient return on the investment. Grab your QB, DT, Edge, OT, or shut down corner, sure, but it doesn't make sense to be taking a WR that high, especially in such a deep draft at the position, again. Lots of options at WR, plenty will be available in round 2 (if we acquire a 2nd) and in the 3rd as well as in 2021. 

Archived