Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The World is on Fire: Protests Happening All Over the Globe Thread

Bozo the kKklown

Something is happening around the world. People are rising against government corruption, income inequality, etc. I am sharing stories from around the world

From earlier this month:

Business Insider - World on fire: 13 major protests happening around the globe right now

South China Post: Hong Kong, Chile, Lebanon: protests erupt around the world

Nations that had major protests the last month:

Argentina

Hong Kong

Hati
Indonesia
Netherlands

Ethiopia

Spain

Bolivia
France
Russia
Peru
Egypt
Lebanon
Syria
Iraq
Jerusalem
South Korea

Chile

Ecuador

In Chile, they are protesting over income inequality

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50191746

18 civilians killed so far in Chile

Reuters: Catalonia's mayors call for self-determination before protest march

The Guardian: Protests against Ethiopia's Nobel peace prize PM turn deadly

67 killed in Ethiopia

24 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Not long before this kinda stuff is happening in America every day.

Depends on the election, as I've said before, our situation is different because we can wait for vote for systematic change in our government instead of having to die for it. For now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Depends on the election, as I've said before, our situation is different because we can wait for vote for systematic change in our government instead of having to die for it. For now.

Can we?  Can we vote for systemic change?  

Remember when the Party of W got voted out of office, after he became the worst President in at least modern history?  

What changed, for the GOP?  

They got more resentful about always being told that their evil racist policies were evil.  They didn't change the polices.  Just got resentful about always being told that.  And the evil simply became more systemic.  A bigger part of their brand.  The voter suppression got more universal, much more carefully orchestrated, and more obvious.  

They took the biggest shift of the House in modern history.  Have they even toned back their obstruction of justice?  Even made a token effort to conceal it?  

After every attempt to implement the prosperity which will surely come from the proven success of trickle down economics, the result has been an exploded deficit, and an actual reduction in the trickle down.  And they won't even admit that the previous versions didn't work.  They lose power, go back into a huddle, come back out with the same policy with a new label slapped over it, do the same thing again, and then act surprised when it produces the same result.  (Well, except for this last time.  This time, they simply pretend that the result doesn't even exist.  Until they calculate that it's time to notice it, and use their newly-discovered deficit to push a different evil part of their agenda.)

Yeah, I assume that if the GOP were to lose all power for a decade or two, then they might decide that they need to change their policies if they want back in.  But I don;t see the voters doing that.  They should.  But I see no sign that they will  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Larry the 2018 midterm is clear sign that present course will cost the GOP power.  I dont care if they change if they lose congress and the White House, but they will if we get blue wave after blue wave.  What was the response to Kansas becoming a case study in slashing taxes and funding as low as possible? They have a Democrat as governor.  Kansas.

Edited by Renegade7

53 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Not sure how much we can count on elections fixing our issues.  Those in power have rigged the system in their favor, and a lot of research has gone into how to manipulate the masses.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

The only time systemic change happened in this country is through violence (Civil War) or protest (Civil Rights movement).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Not sure how much we can count on elections fixing our issues.  Those in power have rigged the system in their favor, and a lot of research has gone into how to manipulate the masses.

The House passed a bill for election and campaign reform that the senate wont vote on, I recommend checking it out.  Elections alone wont do it, but you need people willing to attack the concept of citizens united, and we starting to get that.  I believe in people like Warren and Bernie not selling us out even if I dont agree with everything they want to do.

6 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The only time systemic change happened in this country is through violence (Civil War) or protest (Civil Rights movement).

The New Deal doesnt count?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Larry said:

And what "systemic change" do you see happening?  Can you see any slight hint that the GOP is even dialing the evil back a notch?  

Their present model is unsubstainable, we've already had this discussion in other their threads.  Their base is either leaving or slowly dying off.  You may see a party getting worse I see a party in its death throbes.  If we want to bump this thread after they lose the White House and congress, sure, but I'm choosing not to stress about this.  It took a while to get this point, it will take some time to see what I'm talking about, but it's happening in real time.

I could believe in the magical power of the ballot box to restore balance to the Force, if I could see signs that the voters are well and truly fed up with what's going on.  But I'm not seeing it.  (And it's blatantly obvious, neither is one single Republican on capitol hill.)  

law.jpg.4c228474cf7325022ba338d0b0d1566a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

I could believe in the magical power of the ballot box to restore balance to the Force, if I could see signs that the voters are well and truly fed up with what's going on.  But I'm not seeing it.  (And it's blatantly obvious, neither is one single Republican on capitol hill.)  

law.jpg.4c228474cf7325022ba338d0b0d1566a.jpg

Americans are comfortable and docile. We have some how become proud of that.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I've long felt like another black death is what may have to do it. Morbid, I know. I'll see myself out

I keep watching the watchmen trying to figure out how to become Dr. Manhattan myself, so I’m with you. 

(The movie version, that is)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

I feel like you jus ignored my points out of pessimism.  That's fine, I'm not here to change anyone's mind.  When I see majority of the country wants him impeached and removed from office and growing, I'll stay optimistic.

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

So I assume you are being supportive of the anti-vax movement?

A legit pandemic would outrun our ability to vax it.  Whatever blows past us, I doubt it will be something we already have vax for.  Not rooting for it, but plague ended the dark ages and ushered in the renaissance.

• Thanks 1