Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why starting Haskins the rest of the way could ruin Skins future

BoycottEuphemisticFans

I don't even know how this is debateable, you have to play the kid and we have to grin and bear it as he makes mistakes but we cannot go into the offseason with the blind hope that he will magically develop into a solid starter come next season.

This morning on Sheehan's show he mentioned that many are calling this one of the best draft classes for QB's in years.  We have to be prepared if we have a shot at a pro-ready QB if necessary.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

This is insane, he had multiple first round grades and collectively understood that he had the talent but needed to be in the right situation to develop properly.

Oddly enough, he wasn't given a first round grade by the scouts on this team.  And this team is far from the right situation to develop him properly.  

And Cardale Jones was considered a first round talent by many teams...how'd that work out?

11 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Oddly enough, he wasn't given a first round grade by the scouts on this team.  And this team is far from the right situation to develop him properly.  

And Cardale Jones was considered a first round talent by many teams...how'd that work out?

At this point, it's too late to have this discussion about what our folks thought because hes here now.  I understood he was a prospect that needed to be in the right situation, so that conversation shouldn't be over after a couple games when we all knew that when he got drafted.

We are seeing the worst case scenario playing out before our eyes and talking about it being inevitable.  The problem wont change with replacing him, even if hes a cheap gap QB as a floor, that's better then another Alex Smith contract or taking a flyer on another prospect who might bust as well considering the conditions here. 

Tua would fail here at the rate we going.

Thinking about it this morning, last night's results give the Skins a good opportunity.

Case being in the concussion protocol allows them to have Haskins start the next game in relief with extra time to prepare and with no pressure to make it permanent. They could justifiably "be cautious” with Case and see what Haskins could do right now as a starter. My hunch is that it wouldn't be much better than last night, but it would valuable data they need ASAP.

5 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

We need to see what Haskins has. Is he worth developing or we draft a qb in 2020. Also, QB is going to impact who the next coach is. So, play the man after the bye.

I agree....I would come out of the bye with him and our starter.  It really stinks that our offense was looking very good with Keenum.  It really looked like O'connell was set free and given an opportunity to call the game as well.  

Haskins has incredible arm talent but I trust Callahan to be patient and develop him properly.  He has stated that Case will be the starter if healthy and I think that would be wise.

2 hours ago, Poindexter said:

I agree....I would come out of the bye with him and our starter.  It really stinks that our offense was looking very good with Keenum.  It really looked like O'connell was set free and given an opportunity to call the game as well.  

Haskins has incredible arm talent but I trust Callahan to be patient and develop him properly.  He has stated that Case will be the starter if healthy and I think that would be wise.

Keenum did not look good sacked twice two fumbles.  

2 hours ago, wtfskins said:

How do you figure that Case is a fumbling weenie.  He got sacked twice guess what two fumbles.  We have no future with Case we need to see what the rookie has! 

I'm not a case supporter..don't get me wrong...he played ok-well besides the fumbles and I feel he could have gotten the win

Haskins is going to take time to develop, it's only with time you'll find out if he's got the potential or not. Looking at the knee-jerk responses on the board most of these posters would have declared Elway a bust after his first season in Denver.  We can sit him and try to develop him, or throw him in behind this mediocre line and set of receivers and potentially have another Patrick Ramsey on our hands, a kid with potential whose confidence we ruined.

8 hours ago, Poindexter said:

I agree that O’Connell seemed to find a groove early in game with Case.   It was a nice mix of run and passing plays.

Now Callahan being patient is a different story.  He’s got 8 games to try and convince Snyder to hire him.  I would guess Colt would be in very quickly if Haskins struggles again.  In fact he might move Haskins to full back in order to hit our quota of 40 rush attempts per half.

12 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

I'm not seeing how starting Haskins would ruin the Redskins future.

It's like believing that you will ruin a turd sandwich by throwing in some grilled onions.

Why not give it a shot? It can't possibly be worse.

then I have to say you have learned nothing over 20 years.  The "why not give it a shot, It cant possibly be worse" line is iconic at this polnt and belongs on the tombstones of thousands of Skins fans.  as it turns out, making terrible decisions and sticking with those decisions too long, is the very reason why the redskins are what they are under Snyder.  Your response literally could have been written BY Snyder, and the fact it had so many "likes" is the most visible sign that there still remains a contigent of fans who have never woken up and learned a thing in 20 yrs.  Bruce and Dan desperately need you and this contingent to keep hangin' on with your "it cant possibly be worse" mantras. you're all they've got.

1 hour ago, ShoutyBearHead said:

Haskins is going to take time to develop, it's only with time you'll find out if he's got the potential or not. Looking at the knee-jerk responses on the board most of these posters would have declared Elway a bust after his first season in Denver.

Wrong!  As I pointed out dozens of times, when someone actually puts some sort of work in to review his college games, one learns that Haskins was TRASH in college.  Throwing 5 yard slants that go for 80 wont work in the NFL for him.  So, NO, nothing ive said about haskins has much to do with his garbage performance so far as a pro, my eval of him goes back to his entire season last year in college - which, when you peel his stats back a layer and really look into, you see how BAD he actually was.

Until we get adults making decisions it doesn't matter, but it just seems to me you really need to see what you got before the next years draft.  I thought everybody understood he was a work in progress coming out of college and it was going to be a minute or two before he was ready.  Playing him now is about the future, not the present.  That's what pisses me of even more is that they kept Gruden and set our rebuilding back another year.  Nothing changes until Bruce is gone, we get a real GM and a new coaches; then the rebuilding can actual begin (hopefully with a strategy).

10 minutes ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

.  The "why not give it a shot, It cant possibly be worse" line is iconic at this polnt and belongs on the tombstones of thousands of Skins fans. 

Bro you are the one who doesn't get it.

This team will never win anything with Doofus Dan involved with anything. 20 years of marketing garbage should make it clear.

He is the proud manufacturer of the turd sandwich. He could add some cheese, a scoop of coleslaw, a couple pickles, and a  fried egg. Bruce might be the one toasting the bun and applying the mayo but they are Dan's ingredients.

It's still going to be Dan Snyder's World Famous Turd Sandwich.

It's not even a real sandwich because he uses leftover hot dog buns from Tampa but I heard that it's close enough to call it a sandwich for those who don't really know the difference.

Its a tough call, but I think the season is lost { mild sarcasm } so why not give the keys to Haskins the rest of the year.

Its not like a switch is going to 'flip on' in his head and he suddenly starts playing lights out football.

But one thing I saw last night made me re-think this idea.

The pocket collapsed, maybe it was a blitz, but he began scrambling all over the backfield, trying to get away from would-be tacklers, and either he's gonna get hurt or he's gonna get a lineman hurt; badly. With 6-8 guys all scrambling in different directions, at some point someone is going to end up taking an awkward hit, off-balanced, and they end up tearing a ligament or worse.

I get he was trying to avoid a tackle but he looked like he'd never played a down of QB in his life.

11 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Where did you find that he wasn't a 1st Rd grade from the Redskins Scouts?

Haskins can win a superbowl with a good team around him.  But he wont, and it doesnt have to do with his talent or lack thereof.

A QB is what a great organization obsesses about correctly, and what is a waste of time for a bad organization to even think about.  As long as the rest of the team is trash it doesnt matter who the QB is.

The last 4 QBs to win a super bowl not named Tom Brady are: Nick Foles, Russel Wilson, Eli Manning and Joe Flacco.

4 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Yep he's won 1 of 7 before that. 

Before he got the concussion he was playing a hell of alot better then/than haskins did.case wouldnt have over thrown mclaurin like that..he had been hooking up with him all night..I dont get what's so confusing..

9 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Before he got the concussion he was playing a hell of alot better then/than haskins did.case wouldnt have over thrown mclaurin like that..he had been hooking up with him all night..I dont get what's so confusing..

Like when he coughed up a fumble? Or when he scored a bunch of tds in the first half and vs sf.. And vs anyone?

Archived