Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why starting Haskins the rest of the way could ruin Skins future

BoycottEuphemisticFans

If Case can't go, play Haskins.  Give him at least 4 games to show that he can learn and lead an offense.  Remember, Kirk was pitiful for a couple of years until he matured and learned how to play in the NFL and Haskins is way younger, both in years and mentally.  He's still a kid.  If he has a couple of good starts, keep him in.

If he continues to struggle, re-evaluate during the off-season and decide better how to handle our #2 pick.

22 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

This is insane, he had multiple first round grades and collectively understood that he had the talent but needed to be in the right situation to develop properly.

Dont yall get it?  The way this franchise is currently operating it wouldnt matter who we drafted, we wont develop them properly. Calling this guy bust when we knew what we had to do and didnt so it is ridiculous and will not get solved by doing it again.

A rebuild will take some time, we should be focusing in the rest of the team and see how Haskins develops.  He doesnt need to be an all-pro, I'm so tired of this glimmer of hope giving Snyder glimmer of hope nonsense.  Hes dead wrong on what hes doing, he doesnt need a crack of light to convince himself hes right all the time.

How many rookie QBs do we have to fail to develop or outright ruin before we admit jus getting another one changes nothing and actually buys his ego more time to believe hes finally got it right this time?

We should be focusing on Haskins instead wasting another pick on a QB, we should not be calling him a bust after one season. Especially not this season, no one wants to work with him and he has nothing to work with, what did yall expect this to look like?

How many first round “grades” did jemarcus have?? Probably way more than Haskins they mean absolutely nothing, Daniel jones went before him for a reason, the guy has some of the poorest mechanics i have seen and if you are considered a pocket passer which he is thats almost unfixable at age 22, its like trying to get an adult to write with their left hand but they’ve been writing with their right their whole life. If Dwayne is gonba be good he wont even be ready next season he needs way more coaching and training then people think, which this organization simply will not do and no professional team should...mark this post we done messed up

3 hours ago, CowboyKillerz said:

Like when he coughed up a fumble? Or when he scored a bunch of tds in the first half and vs sf.. And vs anyone?

He was playing decent other than the fumble the first half kept us in the game I'm not talking about any other games I'm not putting him on a pedestal he isn't my choice of quarterback I'm just simply saying that I felt he somewhat kept us in the game and could have gave us a chance to win had Haskins not come in

At this point, I've actually changed my tune on Haskins due to where we are now as far as record, and due to how bad he looked on Thursday, and now I want him to start. I know that sounds backwards but my reasoning is this: this season is lost, we all know that. What I want to see is not necessarily whether Haskins will suddenly bust out and start balling (I don't see it happening...still too many mechanical issues, etc) but how well he improves for the rest of the season while having full first team reps and preparation for games as the starter. 

If something miraculous happens and Haskins quickly gets it, starts balling out, and shows that he's has the tools to be our QB of the future then awesome...in that case we may win a few more games and be out of the top 1-2 picks but we'll still likely be up there in the top 5 and be able to get a big time impact player...one of Young, Jeudy, and Okudah will be there and being out of pick 1-2 won't matter as we won't be looking for a QB (I've recently soured a bit on Andrew Thomas). If Haskins still struggles but at least shows pretty good improvement from game to game then I'd be inclined to keep him. We may still have a top 3 pick but at that point we'd still have our choice of multiple stud impact players and hope that DH's improvement continues with a full offseason of coaching and work.

If Haskins comes in and keeps bombing without improvement then we'll be pretty sure he isn't the QB of the future after having the second half of the season worth of tape on him (still admittedly not a whole lot, but at least a decent number of games). We'll lose out and likely end up with a top 2 pick and can potentially get one of the blue chip QB prospects...Tua and, IMO, likely Burrow. That STILL may be quite early to jettison our 1st round QB from last draft but I'd be ok with that if the Skins scouting department and new coaches (hopefully) have full decision making power and they truly believe that one of those guys will be a great NFL QB. 

We need to see if being the full time starter with full practice reps and game planning for him will improve DH's game play. Either way that shakes out, we'll have a good draft spot to either get a potentially elite QB prospect or a potentially elite game changing prospect at another position. But we have to have enough game tape on Haskins to make that decision. The season is done. Give Haskins first team reps, make him the full time starter, game plan for him, and see what we have. 

2 hours ago, sempre_victrix said:

If Case can't go, play Haskins.  Give him at least 4 games to show that he can learn and lead an offense.  Remember, Kirk was pitiful for a couple of years until he matured and learned how to play in the NFL and Haskins is way younger, both in years and mentally.  He's still a kid.  If he has a couple of good starts, keep him in.

If he continues to struggle, re-evaluate during the off-season and decide better how to handle our #2 pick.

I agree.  This is the only way to do this.  I have watched some abysmal rookie QB play this year. We all have.  We have hardly had Haskins in enough to determine anything with 100% validity - i.e. they have not prepared him all week to start, but rather have shoved him in the middle of a Giants game to try to give a spark, because the Skins were losing, with no mental preparation.  And the other day because your other QB is sitting in street clothes you have to bring him in. 

Mental preparation is IMO absolutely key.  And of course you have to have the physical skill set.  But they are both important. 

Cousins IMO has always had the skill set physically but had to develop more consistently in terms of his mental skill set.  That is what I saw when he was in D.C. and last year with Minnesota.  There is a mental skill involved in terms of being able to let the last play go,  regardless of the outcome, while still being open to learning and improving win or lose.  Learning to rely upon and trust the guys around you to make plays, and I think that is where Cousin's needed to mature.  I think he used to let the last play, linger in his mind, and it affected how he approached the next game.  If the next game or even the next plays is always new you can overcome that.  I think Cousins would try to overcompensate and do more.  He is just not doing that anymore.  And he is super focused.  You can see the difference.  

My main position on Haskins is that they have to develop a game plan during the week with him, give him all the 1st team reps, and do this for at least 6 weeks.  Because yeah, if he is abysmal on every single level, with no improvement you have to reconsider and be thinking QB with the 2nd- 3rd pick in the draft.  It sure looks like a great class of QB's coming up.   But is Snyder going to be willing to admit he made a mistake and ante up again?  That is my biggest concern if Haskins isn't the guy.

Drafting Haskins was another Blunder by the organization. They drafted a developmental QB in a win now year with a coach that wanted to try and help himself win now to keep his job by drafting someone else. And now we will have the chance to draft a top three QB in this upcoming draft (Burrows or such) and will have Haskins on the roster and have to decide whether or not to move on from him without ever playing him. Good Job Snyder and Bruce. It's become obvious that these guys are playing checkers while other organizations are playing three dimensional chess. 

15 minutes ago, posse87 said:

Drafting Haskins was another Blunder by the organization. They drafted a developmental QB in a win now year with a coach that wanted to try and help himself win now to keep his job by drafting someone else. And now we will have the chance to draft a top three QB in this upcoming draft (Burrows or such) and will have Haskins on the roster and have to decide whether or not to move on from him without ever playing him. Good Job Snyder and Bruce. It's become obvious that these guys are playing checkers while other organizations are playing three dimensional chess. 

Checkers still requires some degree of vision and foresight, so I think that's a bit of an insult to Checkers. Dan and Bruce are the two guys at the end of this clip. 

23 minutes ago, TommyWilson said:

Can we give the kid like one freaking week of first team reps and game planning before we call him a buST? SMH

This keeps coming up...

He has been getting first team reps with Keenum banged up. Not all of them, which every rep counts so I understand that to a degree.

But when people say gameplan, do they mean him being prepared to play or a gameplay totally tailored to him? I’d argue the coaches call the plays catered to him every time he’s come in... so I don’t think it’s the latter. If the former, why the **** is the backup QB not prepared with the gameplan? 

3 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Any bad games are evidence that he's a bust, and any good games are anomalies. Got it. 

What good games?

And I’d ignore anyone saying he’s a bust or a definitive franchise QB. They’re both way too far off the ledge. 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What good games?

And I’d ignore anyone saying he’s a bust or a definitive franchise QB. They’re both way too far off the ledge. 

OP said any "good games " should be considered anomalies. I personally want to see the kid succeed, and this message board was ecstatic in general when we drafted him. The entire NFL community laughed at the idiocy of the Giants for passing over Haskins. Truthfully, we have no freaking idea as to what we have in DH. There's been some bad passes, calls, and reads. No doubt. But any "bust" or "all-pro" labels are premature at best. And there's only one way for us to find out, and it sure as hell ain't gonna be by seeing Case light up our opponents with his 0.6 TD/game

I'm on record stating that the Haskins pick was the worst decision this organization could make.

By shifting attention to the QB, Snyder and Co played a nifty bait and switch with the fans. But the dream lasted all but three games.

After the first three games of the season it became pretty clear that the team lacked any considerable depth 

at any position, no talent whatsoever at mosts positions, frankly, and had a huge leadership deficit in the lame-duck Gruden.

The Scary Terry pick was the way to go. Trade your 1st rounder for multiple lower picks and some of them

will be good picks. Law of numbers. No secrets, just a simple fact. New England has done this for years.

Maybe you'll get another 3rd round gem like Terry.

But Snyder and friends went for the glamour pick and now we're stuck with no depth at ANY position

and the burden of playing a rookie QB who should have had at least a year to learn the basics of his position.

1-15 here we go. This a real probability this season.  

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Checkers still requires some degree of vision and foresight, so I think that's a bit of an insult to Checkers. Dan and Bruce are the two guys at the end of this clip. 

Brilliant! Need to check that movie out

Just gonna echo many people by saying we need to see what we have in Haskins.  Let him play and develop (hopefully).  It does absolutely nothing for him by sitting on the bench.  He isn't even involved in the game, he just stands on the sidelines far away from the QBs and coaches, at least from the few shots they have shown on TV, I hope he talks to the quarterbacks and coaches during the game.

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

At this point, I've actually changed my tune on Haskins due to where we are now as far as record, and due to how bad he looked on Thursday, and now I want him to start. I know that sounds backwards but my reasoning is this: this season is lost, we all know that. What I want to see is not necessarily whether Haskins will suddenly bust out and start balling (I don't see it happening...still too many mechanical issues, etc) but how well he improves for the rest of the season while having full first team reps and preparation for games as the starter. 

If something miraculous happens and Haskins quickly gets it, starts balling out, and shows that he's has the tools to be our QB of the future then awesome...in that case we may win a few more games and be out of the top 1-2 picks but we'll still likely be up there in the top 5 and be able to get a big time impact player...one of Young, Jeudy, and Okudah will be there and being out of pick 1-2 won't matter as we won't be looking for a QB (I've recently soured a bit on Andrew Thomas). If Haskins still struggles but at least shows pretty good improvement from game to game then I'd be inclined to keep him. We may still have a top 3 pick but at that point we'd still have our choice of multiple stud impact players and hope that DH's improvement continues with a full offseason of coaching and work.

If Haskins comes in and keeps bombing without improvement then we'll be pretty sure he isn't the QB of the future after having the second half of the season worth of tape on him (still admittedly not a whole lot, but at least a decent number of games). We'll lose out and likely end up with a top 2 pick and can potentially get one of the blue chip QB prospects...Tua and, IMO, likely Burrow. That STILL may be quite early to jettison our 1st round QB from last draft but I'd be ok with that if the Skins scouting department and new coaches (hopefully) have full decision making power and they truly believe that one of those guys will be a great NFL QB. 

We need to see if being the full time starter with full practice reps and game planning for him will improve DH's game play. Either way that shakes out, we'll have a good draft spot to either get a potentially elite QB prospect or a potentially elite game changing prospect at another position. But we have to have enough game tape on Haskins to make that decision. The season is done. Give Haskins first team reps, make him the full time starter, game plan for him, and see what we have. 

I agree, start him now with a simple package and give him a chance to get some experience and hopefully display some growth and potential.   Cut the field in half and give him simple reads to make.  Find ways to roll him out and throw deep, that seems to be a strength.  All he needs to accomplish is to look like he belongs and understands the field, that would be progress enough for him this year.

In recent years we have seen examples of what rookies like Cousins and Griffin looked like the first year.  Cousins understood things from the getgo and Griffin couldn't grasp it.  The Skins need to verify that Haskins can get his footing and start to develop.  If he fails they are going to be able to draft another one in 2020.  If it is unclear give him another season since his college experience was so limited and if he starts to succeed they can invest in other positions.

Archived