Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be the next GM?

skins2victory

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

I should be the next GM...when it came to decision making time I write them down on pieces of paper and put them in a hat than come here to es and have members draw from the hat and go with what they select..excellent pr move too!!

I’m pretty sure that’s how Bruce Allen operated as GM:  All Tampa-connected individuals’ names in a hat, and then he just picked one.

(bakedtater1, I just sent you a PM)

5 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

OK so now we're going from Tampa connection to Carolina connection???

Rivera and Del Rio are both from the 85 Bears tree if that makes you feel any better.

Everyone in every industry, hires people they're familiar with, instead of random people with no history. It's how it goes of course.

I just did a google search on the "new Redskins GM" just to see if there had been any new developments in the FO and almost fell out of my chair when this came up on a Redskins web page that was undated but with Ron Rivera's picture on the top:

https://www.redskins.com/video/redskins-introduce-scot-mccloughan-as-new-gm-14754852

>>Redskins Introduce Scot McCloughan As New GM

Watch Redskins new General Manager Scot McCloughan's introductory press conference.<<

It wasn't until it dawned on me that it was Bruce standing next to him that I realized what had happened.

Interesting. Casserly was on Sheehan this morning saying that he talked with Rivera during the season and Rivera said that he likes the nucleus here (Casserly said he liked Haskins, but no word on whether Rivera likes Haskins). But Casserly said that because of this its a good chance that the people who put together that nucleus should stay (he also mentioned Bruce Allen getting some credit). 

Casserly also mentioned Joe Gibbs has a role here (and has) so Rivera needs to get along with him. Said Dan gets advice from Joe Gibbs in terms of "if Dan Snyder needs some advice, he goes to Joe Gibbs". Thats quite different from the relationship we've heard about with Dan and Bruce. Interesting. 

I'll say this, Lionel Vital is a strong candidate for GM, personally speaking. I've been highly impressed with his style for several years.

--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWjjROHMzVM

And the proof of the college talent he's been apart of acquiring in Dallas has been impressive.

McClay is really more of a politician who manages through interpersonal relationship, tries to appease management by getting coaches the guys they want, by getting Jerry what he wants. From my perspective Vital is a grinder and tape driven. Both are excellent people and worthy candidates.

Listed earlier this october:

https://es.redskins.com/topic/430312-jerry-reese-for-gm/?do=findComment&amp;comment=11597668

GM candidates

Will McClay - vp of player personnel - Cowboys (Exec)

Lionel Vital - director of college scouting - Cowboys (true scout) *college based

Eliot Wolf - assistant general manager - Browns (Exec - Suit) 

Dan Colbert - college/pro scout - Steelers (regional scout) *college based

Scott Fitterer - co-director of player personnel - Seahawks (true scout) *college based

Dru Grigson - assistant director of player personel - Cardinals (true scout) *college based

TJ McCreight - senior exec of player personnel - Eagles

Reggie McKenzie - senior personel exec - Dolphins (true scout)

Martin Mayhew - vp of player personnel - 49ers

Phil Kreidler - college scouting coordinator - Steelers 

In-House candidate:

Kyle Smith - director of college scouting - Team

...............................................................................................................................................................

Two other names that others have thrown out there which I find to be wildcards of interest: 

Ed Dodds - assistant general manager - Colts

Dan Morgan - director player personnel - Bills

To be clear this is my own personal list of candidates that I like, whittled down using my own proprietary method.

A name that keeps coming up for various reasons, is Don Gregory.

Happens to be available and obviously has past connections not only to carolina but to washinton and san diego. Uhm, I'm not supercharged by his personality. Not readily apparent when and where he made a definitive mark in Carolina, personnel acquisition wise. Obviously I don't have a portfolio of his work to shift through to see any of the victories and misses. 

He always been a part of a chorus in the front offices. Could be an added voice to the personnel dept. It's hard to see head boy GM screaming from the overview. 

19 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

So, based on Rivera's press conference, are we even going to get a GM?

Yes and no I would.

From the presser, I would say that @KDawg nailed the right process. We're going with a HC and everybody will evolve around him:

I took this job for one simple reason, because Dan Snyder came to me with a very interesting perspective. For weeks, he’s explored the reasons why some teams win and some teams don’t. He told me the common factor in that transitional success — of teams like the Patriots, the Seahawks and the Chiefs and some of the other ones — was the decision to take it and make it a coach-centered approach. Not an owner-centered approach, or a team president, or a GM, but a coach-centered approach. I told Mr. Snyder that I appreciate the fact that he believes the head coach matters. I told him I would be honored, but under one condition: It had to be a player-centered culture, something I truly do believe in.

There's no reason to think he's lying here, and, thus he's given full power within the organisation, or close to it. It's his team, from top to bottom.

Dan Snyder even doubled down on it saying that culture change "starts and end with the coach":

(which also feels like a hit to Bruce and his damn good culture).

So are we gonna have a new GM? Maybe, but since Rivera also started to inquire about the personnel in place and thinks highly of their late work, I wouldn't be much surprised to see someone rise in the organisation. And with Schaffer leaving in May (after the draft and FA then), my bet would go with Kyle Smith being elevated to "GM" and in charge of feeding Rivera to find the best players for this team. And after today, I'm fine with it really. Wasn't a big fan of it after the Shanny/Bruce experiment, but Rivera's not the type of guy that would put a politician as GM. And Rivera/Kyle Smith could very well be working fine.

18 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

106.7 was getting depressed over the line where Rivera said Snyder would be ultimate decision maker, if Rivera and the personnel team couldn't decide.

So they’re running like every NFL franchise? Gee. Some nerve.

Any new news on the organization of the front office?  Especially the medical staff?  That seemed to me to be a big issue along with the training staff (who I understand has already been shown the door).  Also, any word on Doug Williams and what role he will have, if any?  Or the scouting staff?

I guess, in general, any updated news on wtf is going on outside of coaching staff?

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Any new news on the organization of the front office?  Especially the medical staff?  That seemed to me to be a big issue along with the training staff (who I understand has already been shown the door).  Also, any word on Doug Williams and what role he will have, if any?  Or the scouting staff?

I guess, in general, any updated news on wtf is going on outside of coaching staff?

I haven't seen anything.  

I am guessing things will start to trickle out next week on the coaching staff.  I personally don't think we're going to hear anything about a GM until after the draft.  I think Ron is going to evaluate the current staff and see what he wants to do.  

21 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

So, based on Rivera's press conference, are we even going to get a GM?

During the glory years, Gibbs was the coach with all the power and Casserly was the GM who worked to try to fulfill the coach's vision. I suspect that's the model that Rivera is thinking about.

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

During the glory years, Gibbs was the coach with all the power and Casserly was the GM who worked to try to fulfill the coach's vision. I suspect that's the model that Rivera is thinking about.

I am starting to agree with this.....what sense does it make for a GM to pick and place people in a system without using the coaches philosophy as a baseline tool. 

Redskins to wait for new GM, eyeing Colts' Brown

As reported last week, the Skins won't get around to overhauling their front office until after the draft, and the name I continue to hear the most chatter about in a general manager role is Colts executive Morocco Brown.

Brown is very well regarded in Indianapolis, where he helped Chris Ballard quickly upgrade one of the worst rosters in the NFL, and Brown was a favorite of Skins owner Dan Snyder during his lengthy stint in Washington's personnel department. He also is well regarded by Ron Rivera from their time together in Chicago, and by Joe Gibbs, a close confidant of Snyder's and someone who Rivera has reached out to for counsel.

Brown already worked with much of the staff in Washington, should they end up retaining scouts and lower-tiered executives. It appears for now as if longtime Skins contract negotiator/cap guru Eric Schaffer will be out after the draft -- he's done tremendous work for that organization under extreme duress for a long time and should be considered by other organization for a multitude of roles -- and at the very least a handful of football operations employees will be reshuffled or let go by May.

If Snyder does hire someone as a team resident to replace Bruce Allen, who he recently fired after 10 years, there is talk within the Skins organization about him tabbing longtime Vikings GM Rick Spielman for that role. The Vikings could be headed for a shakeup if they lose to the Saints this weekend, and with Rivera getting more control in personnel for the first time in his career, having someone with significant experience as an evaluator/GM in the building is something Snyder is mulling, I'm told.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-coaching-carousel-its-giants-or-stay-put-for-matt-rhule-vikings-loss-could-topple-mike-zimmer-and-more/

12 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Agree with that.  I guess my question is if the new position is primarily for supporting the coach's vision, is that person really a GM and should they be given that title?  Maybe that's nit-picking but it seems like that would be a Director of Personnel type of title and not a true GM.

Archived