TK

Coaching Wars Episode VII - The Shanny Strikes Back aka Skins vs 9ers Game Day Thread

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

 

I'm not a huge fan of the Shanahans, but Kyle's reaction is more a commentary on how pathetic Snyder and Allen are than his own "pettiness." I don't blame him one bit for sticking it to the little stooge. It's pretty easy to hold a grudge when someone messes with your family, and while I don't think Shanahan did a good job here as HC overall, Snyder and Allen without a doubt made things a lot more difficult for him than they should've been. 

 

Shanny was not done badly by the Redskins

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

 

I'm not a huge fan of the Shanahans, but Kyle's reaction is more a commentary on how pathetic Snyder and Allen are than his own "pettiness." I don't blame him one bit for sticking it to the little stooge. It's pretty easy to hold a grudge when someone messes with your family, and while I don't think Shanahan did a good job here as HC overall, Snyder and Allen without a doubt made things a lot more difficult for him than they should've been. 

 

Just saying, it was eons ago in NFL time frames.  None of the current players care about it, I seriously doubt his current FO cares either.  His dad got millions of dollars to dry his eyes.  He willingly traded his HOF bust for his ego, so I have no sympathy.  He knew what coming here could do to his legacy.  

 

I'm not sticking up for the FO...but it doesn't mean Kyle's right here either. 

 

He may have never developed into a good head coach had he stayed here.  So to act like a scorned lover, 6 years later is a bit extra.  And at this point, it feels like dancing on a grave.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone miss number 24 not playing today?  We can lose without him and that is what today's game proved convincingly.

Allen should not have paid Josh the huge salary because he has not produced.   He has not made his teammates better either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three former skins coaches that are now head coaches are a current combined 16-3.  Sad

 

 

2 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Did anyone miss number 24 not playing today?  We can lose without him and that is what today's game proved convincingly.

Allen should not have paid Josh the huge salary because he has not produced.   He has not made his teammates better either.

 

Local Post game show praised the secondary today

Edited by Fred Jones
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, megared said:

 

Just saying, it was eons ago in NFL time frames.  None of the current players care about it, I seriously doubt his current FO cares either.  His dad got millions of dollars to dry his eyes.  He willingly traded his HOF bust for his ego, so I have no sympathy.  He knew what coming here could do to his legacy.  

 

I'm not sticking up for the FO...but it doesn't mean Kyle's right here either. 

 

He may have never developed into a good head coach had he stayed here.  So to act like a scorned lover, 6 years later is a bit extra.  And at this point, it feels like dancing on a grave.  

 

you think two Super Bowls would get him in Canton when he went seven years without a playoff win after Elway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The definition of insanity is believing that the Shanahans are these evil pricks and Dan and Bruce who are notorious for being pricks did nothing to these guys.  Perhaps it was a ****tail for disaster, all of them together.  But not for a second do I buy that the evil Shanahan empire were here messing everything up while Dan and Bruce were just innocently standing by.  It takes flexibility and stamina that I am not capable of to perform the mental gymnastics it requires to believe that, after all we know in our own right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, carex said:

 

Shanny was not done badly by the Redskins

 

I think there was blame on both sides there when it comes to the elder Shanny. But it sounds like Kyle was pretty miserable here. During the game today one of the commentators said he was talking to Kyle before the game and asked him what he liked about being with the Redskins and Kyle said it was really great to be working with his dad. Then he asked what was bad about it and Kyle said "everything else". 

 

Not surprising. This place is a **** show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The definition of insanity is believing that the Shanahans are these evil pricks and Dan and Bruce who are notorious for being pricks did nothing to these guys.  Perhaps it was a ****tail for disaster, all of them together.  But not for a second do I buy that the evil Shanahan empire were here messing everything up while Dan and Bruce were just innocently standing by.  It takes flexibility and stamina that I am not capable of to perform the mental gymnastics it requires to believe that, after all we know in our own right.

 

you need to stop reading between the lines and just read the text

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, carex said:

you think two Super Bowls would get him in Canton when he went seven years without a playoff win after Elway

 

It would've been up to debate, for sure.  But I think he might've eventually gotten in, had it ended there. 

 

But then again Jimmy Johnson's still on the outside looking in, so what do I know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We get these debates every now and then about Dan versus Dan's hires.  Either way no matter where the debate turns IMO Dan is the loser in either argument.

 

A. Either Dan hires the biggest HC boobs in the NFL 

 

or

 

B.  Dan himself brings the worst out of his coaches.

 

No winning argument for Dan in any discussion like that.  His most important job is to hire good people.  So if the argument is he can't do hires well and the coaches all let him down -- then what can Dan do well if anything?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, megared said:

 

It would've been up to debate, for sure.  But I think he might've eventually gotten in, had it ended there. 

 

But then again Jimmy Johnson's still on the outside looking in, so what do I know?

I find it absolutely shocking Jimmy’s not in. 2 SBs with the Cowboys seems like automatic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hail to the Red... Hmmn oh yea- ROCK THE RED -the  Caps- Nats! Rock it with professionaslism, talent, cultural sensitivy and CHAMPIONSHIPS!

Bye Bye Skins - after 50 years I am outta here! FAIL did the Redskins!

Edited by celticsalmon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, carex said:

 

you need to stop reading between the lines and just read the text

You literally just said that Shanny wasn’t done badly by the Redskins.  Your words.

 

A. You really have no idea what transpired behind the scenes.

B. You know for certain that Dan chose a 22 year old QB and his dad over his own head coach.

C. Does the bowling video need to make another appearance?

 

My god.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I find it absolutely shocking Jimmy’s not in. 2 SBs with the Cowboys seems like automatic.

 

well Switzer did get another one with the same team while Jimmy did almost nothing with the Dolohins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You literally just said that Shanny wasn’t done badly by the Redskins.  Your words.

 

A. You really have no idea what transpired behind the scenes.

B. You know for certain that Dan chose a 22 year old QB and his dad over his own head coach.

C. Does the bowling video need to make another appearance?

 

My god.

 

I've never watched the bowling video.  I don't care what happens in people's off time.  And Shanahan was let go with one year left in a contract when he'd have control over roster decisions and he hadn't earned an extension

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, carex said:

 

 

well Switzer did get another one with the same team while Jimmy did almost nothing with the Dolohins

The Switzer team won in spite of him. Even the players said so. If you watch the NFL films America’s game series for that SB, it’s pretty hysterical how they just tagged on Switzer 

 

Johnson was the architect of all of those teams.  He probably was a better GM than coach.  But he had Norv and Dave as coordinators, and that worked out pretty well...

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched the touchdown montage on Redzone. And I cant remember the last time the Redskins werent on it. Either scoring themselves or their opponent. It was just weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was visiting family in NC but thankfully the game was shown there.  Messy game but fun watching them slide all over the place.  I really don't understand such a conservative game plan on offense though when we are (were) a 1-5 team.  That last drive (not the one with just a few seconds) I couldn't believe they ran it on 3rd down and then punted.  I pretty much knew that was the game since our defense isn't dependable enough to rely on.  Thought the defense played fairly well for the most part until the 49ers started throwing more in the 2nd half and had some success.  Kind of thought we might try that as well but maybe our pass blocking wasn't good enough to try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, owa said:

I was visiting family in NC but thankfully the game was shown there.  Messy game but fun watching them slide all over the place.  I really don't understand such a conservative game plan on offense though when we are (were) a 1-5 team.  That last drive (not the one with just a few seconds) I couldn't believe they ran it on 3rd down and then punted.  I pretty much knew that was the game since our defense isn't dependable enough to rely on.  Thought the defense played fairly well for the most part until the 49ers started throwing more in the 2nd half and had some success.  Kind of thought we might try that as well but maybe our pass blocking wasn't good enough to try it.

 

Mostly fair enough post but the D gave up 9 points the entire game to a very good 49er team. And yes they let a few things go late but honestly that was a hell of a performance by those guys today. They had to be tired by then. You keep any team to 9 pts you should win that game. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Johnson was the architect of all of those teams.  He probably was a better GM than coach.  But he had Norv and Dave as coordinators, and that worked out pretty well...

 

I'm thinking it's politics.  He was never going to get in before Jerry. 

 

And now he probably won't get in, until Jerry's okay with it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Did anyone miss number 24 not playing today?  We can lose without him and that is what today's game proved convincingly.

Allen should not have paid Josh the huge salary because he has not produced.   He has not made his teammates better either.

Nicholson can go too.

1 hour ago, carex said:

 

 

well Switzer did get another one with the same team while Jimmy did almost nothing with the Dolohins

He Callahaned his way to that SB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You literally just said that Shanny wasn’t done badly by the Redskins.  Your words.

 

A. You really have no idea what transpired behind the scenes.

B. You know for certain that Dan chose a 22 year old QB and his dad over his own head coach.

C. Does the bowling video need to make another appearance?

 

My god.

 

If he wasnt 24-40 you might have a point. I have a hard time finding sympathy for a head coach that doesnt win. Marty got screwed. Shanny not so much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

For a gameday thread? No way, I think they used to get much longer, there are way less people posting here on gameday in recent years than there used to be. 

 

 

I was saying in FOUR HOURS this thread grew to 55 pages in that amount of time. :)  Not the entire life of the thread.  If there are other that grew faster than 55 pages in 4 hours then I apologize.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.