Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Missing a Redskins' Game to Go to Paradise

Burgold

This morning I am off to discover a Viable Paradise and in doing so I am ninety percent sure I will not see Sunday's game on TV. It feels weird. Previously, on trips (even business trips) I always found a way to sneak off or locate a sports' bar, but I won't this time. Part of it is because VP is potentially so cool and has springboarded a few folks.

To the uninitiated, Viable Paradise is a one week writing retreat hosted and taught by the creme de la creme of the science fiction and fantasy creative community. Our den mother is going to be the acquiring editor of Tor Books. Instructors include Elizabeth Bear and Scott Lynch. It's a boot camp and you have to get juried in. Part of me wonders if it will be like that fantasy baseball camp where oldsters get to take part in hitting lessons from former All Stars, but I've heard nothing but great things about it and as I've said I know of a number of alumni who got their chance after/because of VP. Its reputation is one of hard work, exhausting work. Think a mental boot camp.

Still, I feel it's a betrayal to not watch a game. I probably will periodically check the score on my phone even though I know it's a lost season. Mostly though, I can't wait to get my work critiqued. I can't wait to meet my fellow twenty four guests. I can't wait to be in such an immersive creative experience of nerds like me.

Agreed, with above.  I'm in a business trip and going to miss the first Redskins game in years.  They arent giving me a good enough reason to constantly be checking the score or sneaking off to a bar, I've already recorded it, I'll watch when I get home.

Someone mentioned DVRing the games so they arent planning their sundays around watching them get their ass beat.  That's more then fair at this point.

I too find ways to watch Redskins games when in Paradise.  I've watched a game in Hawaii, then multiple times in the Keys, Aruba, and Grand Cayman.

The best was Hawaii on our honeymoon in 2008.  It was in September when we were starting the 6-2 run to start the season, and it was against the Cowboys.  It was a 1pm game here so it was 7am on Hawaii.  We got up and went to a bar and had eggs and beer.  I ran into some Dallas fans (shocker I know) who were really cool and we shot the ****.  They lived in Hawaii and their usual thing to do on Sundays was go to the bar, watch football, then go surfing.  Pretty damn awesome huh?

Anyways, the Redskins ended up winning the game so I got the last laugh.  Then at 10am we left and went to the beach.

The Redskins owe you absolutely nothing.  If something comes up in life that takes you away on a Sunday then go ahead and live your life.  Especially true if you’re pursuing a love of yours.

Spoilers or not you’ll probably know what’s going to happen anyhow. Watching the replay later will just put into pictures what you already know.

I've missed most games for the last couple seasons.  It would take paying for the ticket or going to the bar lately anyhow because we don't much national exposure.  I do watch when they're on broadcast tv (usually a monday or sunday night and both Cowboy games) but I long ago quit going out of my way.  I remember how hard core I was 20 years ago and I do miss it.  Every piece of news from every outlet I had to read every day.  They could get me back too, but I don't hold out much hope.

I hope the experience is a good one, Burgold.  Sounds very cool!

Looking at the schedule, if you're afraid of missing a potential win, I'd only be mildly interested in the 3 games in November. 

I'm tuning in out of spite.  I want every short term decision they make to fail in spectacular fashion and cause further embarrassment.    

The first real disappointing football moment I've had this season was at Miami, for not converting the 2 point attempt.  

Why sully paradise for this?  

Archived