Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Racist costume?

gbear

4 hours ago, Vilandil Tasardur said:

As a Mexican American, I certainly don't appreciate the costume and think it's in poor taste. I don't appreciate being turned into a cartoon or a mascot for a white person's amusement at a party.

But I won't pretend it's comparable to black face either.

I'm glad i waited to say anything, my initial reaction was "no", but now I realize I jus wasnt personally offended.  I wouldnt wear it simply because its attempting to be a stereotypical Mexican, but I wouldnt say anything if I saw an actual mexican wearing that costume or white person trying a redneck cosplay. 

The more I think about what Northam did, I think about people doing blackface to play characters in a script that actual black people would feel too demaning to do themselves.  Northam was jus going to a party, he wasnt doing that because he felt he was superior to black people.  Racially insensitive, absolutely.  Racist? I would see it in his policies or it doesnt matter, he was talking about taking down Confederate statues when he was running for governor.

When it happened I wanted him gone because how insensitive he seemed about it, not because I thought he was a racist.

I doubt Mexicans (the ones in Mexico, or at least grew up there) would be offended by that.  Not saying it isn't offensive, it is, just that this level of offensive is tame by Latin American standards of humor.  Latino-Americans, I mean the ones born in the US, would almost certainly find the costume offensive.  

I don't think it's as bad as black face because it lacks the history.  

6 minutes ago, -JB- said:

You would only show up to a Halloween party wearing that if you knew it was an all white party.  Let’s be honest.  Same with black face.

I could see it at some hispanic parties, I've seen worse 

I might be contrary, here.  

The question I'm hearing being asked is "If I saw somebody wearing this costume, would I conclude that he's racist?"  

And I think the answer is "no".  

(Now, if the question is "Is this a racial stereotype?"  The answer is "No ****, Sherlock."  But to me, it's such an exageration of the stereotype, that I have to conclude that it's intentional.)

Again, maybe I'm overthinking this.  But if I see that costume, what I see is someone who's making fun of Trump voters for whom the scariest thing in the world are scary Mexicans who are coming here to rape and murder the white women.  

Someone who's not making fun of Hispanics, but making fun of a lot of people's prejudices towards Hispanics.  

But then, it's well known that I'm weird.  

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya, if we can all agree racism, prejudice, and stereotyping arent the same thing, thatd go along way in this whole melting pot thing

Well, while different, there is often a lot of overlap between those circles.  

4 minutes ago, China said:

Why does Morgan Freeman sound like he's been inhaling helium in that video?

Because it's a ripped copy, likely someone recorded it using a computer and reposted it, why the resolution is off.  

I have the science channel, so I can watch these on their website now, but before I had to watch a lot of the documentaries I found interesting on YouTube.  Some of them look like a mirror image with everything backwards.

This is my favorite show, asks questions some arent sure how to ask and puts into perspective that science doesnt know everything and isnt saying it does.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:12 PM, Renegade7 said:

Check this out when you have a chance and let me know what you think

It's an hour long! I got the drift from the first few minutes but anything over 5-10 requires a big screen and a couch for me. 🙂

Archived