Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do the Redskins have a future guard in Flowers?

bakedtater1

4 hours ago, tibbidoe said:

@bakedtater1

A ) It's "my" team, same way it's "yours". Cap room and draft picks allow my team to try and get better. Silly argument.

B ) It's his 2nd consecutive 'down year', third if you wanna nitpick 2 missed games in 2017. RG is not a premium position, especially with the number of holes, and the lack of depth, we have. I really like him, same as Allen on D, BUT there's a reason the Patriots have built a dynasty and a reason OUR team has sucked almost exclusively since 1991.

It's a business. We need to approach it as such, the same way Trent is clearly looking at it right now. Scherff and Allen could lead us to starters at multiple other positions. It's absolutely worth exploring.

Think about it like this: would Bill Belichick at least CONSIDER moving Scherff or Allen, if he was in charge here, or would he sign them to monster deals and hope? Hell, Trent would've been gone quick fast LAST year, much less be here now.

Also, that's why I stopped buying jerseys of current players.

I'm a fan of the Redskins not the patriots... **** the Patriots...its none of our money..its as silly as playing fantasy football...this ain't madden

Two bottom lines for me.  1. We have to get better at stocking positions/developing guys before contract years for our starters.  2. Although I understand the business side of letting Scherff or Flowers walk, we need to place a premium on giving Haskins protection and the backs a good line to run behind.  We already have a major hole at LT, we should avoid creating more.  

7 hours ago, tibbidoe said:

Allen is a quality player, I just think he'll be wasted in the 4-3, with Payne and Ioannidis.

Well first you need a quality rotation at DT in a 4-3. It’s a tough position and you need to keep players fresh and have depth for injuries. Everyone is going yo get snaps.

Second I could not disagree with you more in terms of Allen’s fit as 3 or 5 tech I gapping in a 4-3 front. He was wasted 2 gapping in a 3-4 - but he’s going to do a lot of damage playing in a 1 gap scheme.

6 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'm a fan of the Redskins not the patriots... **** the Patriots...its none of our money..its as silly as playing fantasy football...this ain't madden

lol Point being, they make tough player decisions and they win. Ignore relevant points if you like, but I'm sure we'd both like to see sustained success for the Redskins.

5 hours ago, MartinC said:

Well first you need a quality rotation at DT in a 4-3. It’s a tough position and you need to keep players fresh and have depth for injuries. Everyone is going yo get snaps.

Second I could not disagree with you more in terms of Allen’s fit as 3 or 5 tech I gapping in a 4-3 front. He was wasted 2 gapping in a 3-4 - but he’s going to do a lot of damage playing in a 1 gap scheme.

2 starting spots and 3 players, plus Settle already there for the rotation. I just think Allen will get less playing time than a starter-quality player coming off the bench should. Great depth, but wasted in that way. That's why I'd look at flipping his value for another player/pick who could strengthen another area of the team. If he can lead to a good+ starter at FS/TE, I think it's at least worth looking into.

I don't expect the team to actually trade him/Scherff. But being closed to even considering moving either is a mistake.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I wouldn’t want to invest much past 5mil p/y to Flowers on a fairly short term deal. Not convinced he’s the long term solution at LG.

Good thing you don't own the team and never have to worry about the financial burden...I swear some of you folks are silly...all concerned like your money is being spent...all rubbish if ya ax me.

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’d give Flowers 7 mil a year in a heartbeat.

Can I borrow a 100 grand lol..and no not the candy bar Michael Scott lol

2 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Good thing you don't own the team and never have to worry about the financial burden...I swear some of you folks are silly...all concerned like your money is being spent...all rubbish if ya ax me.

Can I borrow a 100 grand lol..and no not the candy bar Michael Scott lol

Let me rephrase. 

I'd give Flowers 7 mil of Dan Snyder's money a year in a heartbeat.

11 hours ago, tibbidoe said:

2 starting spots and 3 players, plus Settle already there for the rotation. I just think Allen will get less playing time than a starter-quality player coming off the bench should. Great depth, but wasted in that way. That's why I'd look at flipping his value for another player/pick who could strengthen another area of the team. If he can lead to a good+ starter at FS/TE, I think it's at least worth looking into.

I don't expect the team to actually trade him/Scherff. But being closed to even considering moving either is a mistake.

So, I agree with your underlying premise - we shouldn’t be so married to guys and should be looking for opportunities to offload guys to either collect picks, reduce our cap, or in trade for other players.  

Regarding Scherff, if we had brought a replacement in earlier, I would be more open to a tag and trade situation.  If we do franchise him and draft a highly regarded guard, I would consider trade offers for sure.  Especially if Martin shows significant progress.  Right now though, our priority has to be giving Haskins, our backs, and our young OC the tools to work with and support they need.  

Allen is trickier IMO.  His rookie contract is attractive to other teams, he’s shown a lot of potential (and decent production), and we have some depth at the spot already.  However...

1) he’s establishing himself as a leader

2) it’s an area crucial for depth - you need a 4 deep rotation 

3) interior dline is arguably the backbone of the D

4) considering our lack of blue chip players, I’m hesitant to trade away potential ones.  

He, Io, Payne and Settle have sort of overlapping contract years, and the 5th year option likely changes, so it’s going to be interesting to see what happens.  

7 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Give flowers 7mil and Morgan Moses will be wanting a new deal.

**** that, he’s average too.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Give flowers 7mil and Morgan Moses will be wanting a new deal.

**** that, he’s average too.

I'd give Flowers his 7 mil and Moses should be thankful he's still making as much as he is. His dead cap hit is very low so if he's smart he'd keep his mouth shut and take whatever he can get. 

JP Finlay is questioning why it’s taking so long for the Redskins to get Flowers deal done.  And so am I.  I know they said they are evaluating all the players from top to bottom.  But Flowers was probably come back player of the year, with respect to Tannehill.

19 hours ago, tibbidoe said:

lol Point being, they make tough player decisions and they win. Ignore relevant points if you like, but I'm sure we'd both like to see sustained success for the Redskins.

I like this line of thinking for several reasons:

- We have depth at DT and can lose one of them without sweating it at all

- How would we sign all of these 1st round defensive linemen when the times come?

- If we're keeping Kerrigan and drafting Young, then we should move one of the tackles...especially if Settle is good. 

- Not saying it should be Allen, he seems like he is pissed off and wants to win....but one of them should be dangled for need at another spot.

- What if Allen, Payne, or one of the other tackles can get us a solid playmaking LB? Have any of them shown enough that they are untradeable just cause they were high draft picks?

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

JP Finlay is questioning why it’s taking so long for the Redskins to get Flowers deal done.  And so am I.  I know they said they are evaluating all the players from top to bottom.  But Flowers was probably come back player of the year, with respect to Tannehill.

I agree. It’s a week before legal tampering begins. Ron has had enough time to evaluate the players and at a certain point we have to commit to a direction. Otherwise other FA won’t be so intrigued to play here unless the money is stupid.

18 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Disagree one can't be a comeback if he was a never was. What is he coming back to? No he was the late bloomer of the year.

8 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Disagree one can't be a comeback if he was a never was. What is he coming back to? No he was the late bloomer of the year.

Haha. He just finally showed up.

I think Flowers deserves 7 per as well, but we may have to wait until FA begins. His agent should already have a good idea of his value after talking to other teams at the draft, but that doesn't mean he's not going to stretch it as far as he can.

We also don't know what pace Rob Rogers works at. We will have to wait and see how the organization will operate under the new leadership. 

On 8/8/2019 at 10:15 PM, volsmet said:

Flowers looked better than I expected, I was encouraged by him this evening.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:33 PM, volsmet said:

Flowers was a bright spot, imo. He wasn’t particularly good, but he showed signs of being far better than what we’ve had. He showed the talent that made him a prospect that went in round 1.

Of course, there were negatives, namely the fact that you could tell if we were going to run or pass based on his stance. If you watch the replay, you’ll not struggle to predict what the offense is going to do if you just look at big TF pre-snap.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:12 PM, volsmet said:

It appears Flowers will be the best lg we have had in quite some time. Callahan deserves to have a Taco Bell in his office.

On 9/8/2019 at 3:37 PM, volsmet said:

Flowers is our best OL, things are looking up.

Most likely to be correct award:

@volsmet

897AB350-90E0-4778-B07A-24FFA0784D80.gif

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Or both at 11 mil per year average. Boom... mind blown ;) 

1A6D9527-436D-4FC6-B674-10EBEDD4C688.png.0219310fab04f881b3f57068b13762f9.png

math.  It does the body good. 

On 3/9/2020 at 1:06 PM, Califan007 said:

I never thought about it that way...

And now I’ll never know what you never thought about.  My life will never be complete 

Archived