Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do the Redskins have a future guard in Flowers?

9 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Sherff is a RG, Martin played RG not LG when he started, Rivera wanting both starting OG back says Martin might not be ready to be a starter yet. 

HTTR 

You're correct. I meant Martin filled in at RG for Scherff. lol

But, Flowers back at LG, Martin at RG and trade Scherff. That's what I intended to put there.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, tibbidoe said:

You're correct. I meant Martin filled in at RG for Scherff. lol

But, Flowers back at LG, Martin at RG and trade Scherff. That's what I intended to put there.

Hail to the no should we trade scherff..boy have you lost your mind, cause I'll help you find it lol..Martin is not proven and flowers proved last year that LG is where he belongs..leave scherff at right guard..uggg moses at tackle and now we just need a left tackle.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Hail to the no should we trade scherff..boy have you lost your mind, cause I'll help you find it lol..Martin is not proven and flowers proved last year that LG is where he belongs..leave scherff at right guard..uggg moses at tackle and now we just need a left tackle.

$12M+ for a RG, who hasn't played 16 games in a season since 2016, who could get us good draft capital in trade, on a rebuilding team, with a possible replacement already on the roster?...

No.

No, you're wrong. We should DEFINITELY listen to trade offers, if anyone shows reasonable interest.

• Like 1

@tibbidoe unless we franchise him for trade we can’t just trade Scherff. And his value might be a 3rd rounder? Idk man. I think this fan base has gotten way too comfortable with shipping off our good players. Scherff is a beast. He had a down year but otherwise he’s been a very good RG. People have major recency bias ...

Also the market is being reset. $15m a year is not what it used to be. 15 is the new 10. Pay the man and invest in the OL.

cant wait for these conversations next year about Jon Allen being shipped off cause he’s not very good.

We are weak at OT. And people seem to think you can just plug in 4th round rookies and be fine. That’s not how it works. We are already gonna have to bite the bullet with LT I’d rather secure our2 OG spots and at least make the interior a strength. I like Martin but I’d rather him be rotational depth for now rather than step into an assumed starter role. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@tibbidoe unless we franchise him for trade we can’t just trade Scherff. And his value might be a 3rd rounder? Idk man. I think this fan base has gotten way too comfortable with shipping off our good players. Scherff is a beast. He had a down year but otherwise he’s been a very good RG. People have major recency bias ...

Also the market is being reset. $15m a year is not what it used to be. 15 is the new 10. Pay the man and invest in the OL.

cant wait for these conversations next year about Jon Allen being shipped off cause he’s not very good. 

I know.

Tag and trade has been my opinion on him. He's not our "untouchable Tom Brady". He's the RG on a 3-13 team with 3 consecutive years missing games. Quite expendable, IF a decent trade offer is made for him.

Also, I'm for trading Allen THIS year, but you've read/replied to my opinion on that before. lol

Why don't we just trade all of our top shelf players so we can build all of that draft capital and draft players who we have no idea if they will ever become legitimate starters in the NFL or not.  That seems like a great strategy.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
38 minutes ago, tibbidoe said:

Also, I'm for trading Allen THIS year, but you've read/replied to my opinion on that before. lol

I'm for extending Allen this year.  He is a leader, and can probably be inked for the long term for a reasonable price at the moment.  If he has a good 2020, with the salary cap increase and upcoming free agency for other d linemen, skins won't be able to retain him.

@KillBill26 we do have the 5th year Option to pick up that carries his contract through 2021. Fact is by then Ioniddis will be coming to the end of his deal which was a bargain and we may opt to move on from him as he’ll be going into his 3rd contract, likely command a lot on the open market, and get us a solid comp pick in return. Then we can solidify the interior  DL with Allen and Payne from 2021 onward 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I'm for extending Allen this year.  He is a leader, and can probably be inked for the long term for a reasonable price at the moment.  If he has a good 2020, with the salary cap increase and upcoming free agency for other d linemen, skins won't be able to retain him.

Allen is a quality player, I just think he'll be wasted in the 4-3, with Payne and Ioannidis.

I think he'll be wasted talent and Scherff will be wasted money.

That's why I'd trade them both, start Flowers/Martin at LG/RG, and use the likely day 2 picks we'd add to get FS/TE/OT starters/depth.

Edited by tibbidoe
5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@KillBill26 we do have the 5th year Option to pick up that carries his contract through 2021. Fact is by then Ioniddis will be coming to the end of his deal which was a bargain and we may opt to move on from him as he’ll be going into his 3rd contract, likely command a lot on the open market, and get us a solid comp pick in return. Then we can solidify the interior  DL with Allen and Payne from 2021 onward 

Like a professional football team.

Settle or someone not on the roster eventually replaces Iaon, so he can go get paid big for what might be his last contract.

Allen in a 4-3 with Young, Payne and Sweat is most likely going to be a 10 sack guy from the interior and he's a leader of the defense. If he's not looking to set the market as a DT, he'll be a skin for a long time, but you absolutely look at keeping that line as together as you can.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We are weak at OT. And people seem to think you can just plug in 4th round rookies and be fine. That’s not how it works. We are already gonna have to bite the bullet with LT I’d rather secure our2 OG spots and at least make the interior a strength. I like Martin but I’d rather him be rotational depth for now rather than step into an assumed starter role. 

Totally agree....I think Scherff is a beast and he can't be easily replaced.  I would lock him down for another 5 years and bring Flowers back as well.

I would bring back Penn and give him a chance to compete with Geron Christian, hopefully a draft pick, and hopefully a free agent acquisition in Seantrel Henderson.

But you are right, we let a lot of good ones walk right out the door.

18 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I wonder how much of Flowers’ success has to do with transitioning to guard vs just general improvement. I’d be curious to see Martin and Scherff at guard and Flowers at RT. 

Transitioning to guard. Many thought he’d be much more successful at guard than tackle. Giants just gave up on the experiment 

37 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I wonder how much of Flowers’ success has to do with transitioning to guard vs just general improvement. I’d be curious to see Martin and Scherff at guard and Flowers at RT. 

He was a massive bust and we were the team to take the risk and find what he's good at and now you want to send him back to bustville (after we pay him like a player who is no longer a bust). That would be classic Washington football and we're growing beyond that hopefully. OL aren't interchangeable like in Madden. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tibbidoe said:

$12M+ for a RG, who hasn't played 16 games in a season since 2016, who could get us good draft capital in trade, on a rebuilding team, with a possible replacement already on the roster?...

No.

No, you're wrong. We should DEFINITELY listen to trade offers, if anyone shows reasonable interest.

A...its not your money...

B. Ya don't just give up on a 5th overall pick. Every one has down years...absolutely scherff should not be traded... besides he's the only offensive line player I have a jersey of that's currently on the team

1 hour ago, method man said:

Think of Martin as the future Roullier replacement. As good a pass blocker as ge us, he is a bad run blocker and should not be given a big contract

Agree, I think Martin could work his way into the OC starters roll.

@bakedtater1

A ) It's "my" team, same way it's "yours". Cap room and draft picks allow my team to try and get better. Silly argument.

B ) It's his 2nd consecutive 'down year', third if you wanna nitpick 2 missed games in 2017. RG is not a premium position, especially with the number of holes, and the lack of depth, we have. I really like him, same as Allen on D, BUT there's a reason the Patriots have built a dynasty and a reason OUR team has sucked almost exclusively since 1991.

It's a business. We need to approach it as such, the same way Trent is clearly looking at it right now. Scherff and Allen could lead us to starters at multiple other positions. It's absolutely worth exploring.

Think about it like this: would Bill Belichick at least CONSIDER moving Scherff or Allen, if he was in charge here, or would he sign them to monster deals and hope? Hell, Trent would've been gone quick fast LAST year, much less be here now.

Also, that's why I stopped buying jerseys of current players.

Edited by tibbidoe

I wonder how much the play of Moses affected Scherff. If the guy beside you isn't playing well it's bound to throw you off in some way. Now to be fair, maybe Scherff did the same thing to Moses, but I'm more inclined to believe Scherff is the better player. Regardless, I think we need to keep the interior of the OL together next year. It's going to be hard enough to find two decent tackles.

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

I wonder how much the play of Moses affected Scherff. If the guy beside you isn't playing well it's bound to throw you off in some way. Now to be fair, maybe Scherff did the same thing to Moses, but I'm more inclined to believe Scherff is the better player. Regardless, I think we need to keep the interior of the OL together next year. It's going to be hard enough to find two decent tackles.

I believe Moses is the weak link.  We shall see if we go with another player at RT via FA or draft and who we sign in FA to fill TWs spot.

What you do with Flowers depends on how well you think Martin developed.  If you think he developed well, you let Flowers go, get a comp-draft pick and save $7 mill per. 

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Julie Donaldson said Flowers told her, that someone finally coached him, and that made a big difference.  I think that’s probably a more natural position for him anyway, at guard.  He was our best lineman last year.  Even the film supports it.  I saw clips where he was blocking his man, and the tackles man, when the tackle missed his block.

• TK locked this topic