Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do the Redskins have a future guard in Flowers?

bakedtater1

55 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Did Moses leave the game yesterday? I thought I saw Christian playing most of the second half at RT.

I didnt know Moses was out until I was prepared to light him up for letting his man go right around him, only to see the replay and see "Christian Sr" on the back of the jersey.  lol

6 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Id like to keep Scherff for at least some continuity.

Roullier, Flowers, and Moses are your continuity.  If Martin takes Scherff's spot, he at least been on the roster this whole time.

But I think that's less an issue anyway from one year to the next.  You're gonna get a new HC, presumably a new OC and OL coach, the OL are all gonna be learning a scheme and asked to do different stuff than they've been doing.  

5 hours ago, Xameil said:

I will admit...I was wrong about Flowers...

I mean, literally all the evidence was that he was terrible.  There was really no good tape of him, the people at OTAs and camp said he was struggling, then he got forced back out to tackle because of Trent, it was a fair conclusion to draw from the information available.  

Once the real games started, he figured it out.  He's easily been our best OL this year.

44 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Once the real games started, he figured it out.  He's easily been our best OL this year.

No he hasn't. 

He just hasn't been as terrible as we all thought he would be.  There's a huge difference between the two.  

19 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What happens if Wes Martin turns into a monster next year, and we re-sign Scherff and Flowers ?

I guess that's a good depth problem to have.

Martin would still have 3 more years on a rookie contract.  Who knows what our guard situation will look like at that point.  

It would be more problematic if Martin was in year 3 this year, and up for an extension sooner.  

8 hours ago, justice98 said:

Roullier, Flowers, and Moses are your continuity. 

Please, Moses?  How many false starts did we see yesterday?  Not one, if any.  And do you know why?  Because Morgan Moses wasn’t out there to **** it up.  I want him gone next year.  So he’s not part of the continuity.

19 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Again Flowers was excellent.  Resign him, he has resurrected his career.  We’ve figured something out!!!!

I hope contract talks commence soon.  What do you feel his contract would look like?  4 years 28 mil?  12 guaranteed?   I'm totally guessing, and I know that might be a tad high, but he is young, has played well, and it's been such a position of need forever, I feel it could be an agreement both sides could be happy with.  

35 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Who's been better?  Not Penn, not Roullier, not Scherff, not Moses.

Not Scherff?  So you're expecting teams to be lining up to pay Flowers $15/M a year this offseason?  Scherff hasn't been consistent, or healthy, but PFF still has him ranked as the #3 G at run blocking. 

Roullier has quietly put a solid season together as well.  Doesn't commit penalties, and does his job well.  

Again, Flowers is playing waaaay better than anyone could've predicted. I put him in the same tier as Penn and Moses.  They all show flashes of great play, but lack consistency.

Scherff was a stud this game - walling off his man to create creases, stoning or pushing his rusher past the qb, pulling on runs - he did it all.  It’s a shame Hentges hasn’t been able to contribute in the pass game, because I love watching him run blocking.  Roullier looked solid as usual.  Our RT play was pretty bad I thought.  Not abysmal, but not good.  

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Please, Moses?  How many false starts did we see yesterday?  Not one, if any.  And do you know why?  Because Morgan Moses wasn’t out there to **** it up.  I want him gone next year.  So he’s not part of the continuity.

Dont take this the wrong way, but what you want isnt relevant.  I want Moses gone too, but the likelihood is he stays.  So for all intents and purposes, he IS part of the continuity.

It's a shame the Trent situation went down the way it did because while Penn is performing better than I could have predicted, what is missing on the left side right now is the athleticism that Trent brings on every play.  His movement and how he can get downfield and steamroll would-be tacklers is something a guy like Penn just can't do.  I would have been very interested to see the combo of Trent & Flowers playing side by side. 

As far as Flowers remaining a member of this team? I'd like to keep him around, but if his agent thinks his resurgence means he can go out and look for a big money contract? Sorry, our priority right now is keeping Scherff around. 

4 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Curious timing on that.  Last week (vs the Lions) Moses finished as the highest ranked player on both teams, per PFF.  He didn't have any penalties then, or Sunday before he injured his back.  

Best game he's had in over two seasons. 

Do you really trust this FO to competently replace 4 linemen in one offseason?  

All of our linemen have issues with penalties, outside of the guy snapping the ball.  The fact that it's happening less is probably due to Callahan abandoning Gruden's kitchen sink approach to run concepts.  

4 minutes ago, megared said:

Curious timing on that.  Last week (vs the Lions) Moses finished as the highest ranked player on both teams, per PFF.  He didn't have any penalties then, or Sunday before he injured his back.  

That’s a sample size.  I’m talking about his body of work.  Okay, maybe they’ll put him back in Sunday.  See how he finishes the season.  I’ll bump and say I’m wrong if he plays well.

5 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Christian did well at RT.

If we have trouble finding a decent LT, I'd at least try Moses at LT to see if he's better suited there.

Flowers HAS to re-sign, out of gratitude. The rest of the league pretty much, gave up on him, and Callahan sure as heck resurrected his career.

5 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I hope contract talks commence soon.  What do you feel his contract would look like?  4 years 28 mil?  12 guaranteed?   I'm totally guessing, and I know that might be a tad high, but he is young, has played well, and it's been such a position of need forever, I feel it could be an agreement both sides could be happy with.  

As long as it’s not ludicrous, I’d pay him.

Archived