Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do the Redskins have a future guard in Flowers?

bakedtater1

I went back a few pages to look for an Ereck Flowers thread and didn't see one, or even a welcome to the Redskins Ereck Flowers.

So I wanted to start this thread to speak specifically of flowers.

I googled his name in YouTube to make sure I was spelling it right lol and there was some video of him in the bears game and he was just absolutely man handling guys..he looked amazing I thought..so let's break down his playing here and discuss rather he's a future guard for the Redskins.

3 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Wow I know it was the phins but flowers playing like a man there 

He just turned 25 on draft day, he’s got a lot of promise, he’s looked good pulling on several occasions which is a credit to how hard he must be working; he’s a big dude to be learning a new position & showing all he has already.

It was my hopes that if anyone could turn his career around itd be Calli... He got abused at T early in camp (damn i hate this TDub fiasco!) But I held out hope that hed shine at G. He and Penn have been a pleasent surprise with the other side of the line owning all the suck. 

Young and strong- things that cant be taught! If we can get some semblence of Probowl play from the other side (I know the Sherrif has it in him) and add a bookend through the draft- we can have a formidable line to protect our young qb... Whomever that turns out to be

I was expecting the worst from Flowers, but he's turned out to be surprisingly good. It's starting to look like a smart move to start him at guard.  Penn had some big shoes to fill and he's doing well so far.

There's still something wrong with our run-blocking.  It looked better against the inept Dolphins, but it was far from a convincing display.

It is possible that Flowers is the rare case a player signs with the Redskins and they actually find a way to make him a better player instead of the opposite.  If Flowers continues the strong play it could be a pretty good story.

I wonder too if sometimes when a team drafts a player, they get a bit stubborn about trying them out at different positions to "find a place for them" because in theory they would have drafted and/or signed other players for the other positions so there simply isn't the time to give them a chance elsewhere.  

Who knows, but for now Flowers has been a good signing that came out of nowhere. 

7 hours ago, CowboyKillerz said:

It was my hopes that if anyone could turn his career around itd be Calli... He got abused at T early in camp (damn i hate this TDub fiasco!) But I held out hope that hed shine at G. He and Penn have been a pleasent surprise with the other side of the line owning all the suck. 

Young and strong- things that cant be taught! If we can get some semblence of Probowl play from the other side (I know the Sherrif has it in him) and add a bookend through the draft- we can have a formidable line to protect our young qb... Whomever that turns out to be

It's kind of funny that the two highest rated tackles of their respective draft years (Scherrf and Flowers) would both wind up at guard.

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

He has been a pleasant surprise.

He only signed a one year deal right?

And a big part of why is in DC is he wanted to play with TW?

Wonder if he will have interest in returning next year

I don't remember it being said that TW was a big reason he signed here. I remember it being said that he wanted to play under coach Callahan:

"On Monday, Les Carpenter of The Washington Post revealed why Flowers wanted to play for his former rival. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said that Flowers picked the Redskins over other teams, "because of the opportunity he'd have to start at guard and work with line coach Bill Callahan."

He hasn't stood out to me so far, which guards normally don't, unless it's for bad reasons.  Definitely better than expected in that he's starting and playing without being gif'd and meme'd for playing poorly and we're going into week 7.  I'm curious of what his PFF looks like - I'd guess somewhere near the middle of the pack.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He hasn't stood out to me so far, which guards normally don't, unless it's for bad reasons.  Definitely better than expected in that he's starting and playing without being gif'd and meme'd for playing poorly and we're going into week 7.  I'm curious of what his PFF looks like - I'd guess somewhere near the middle of the pack.

I thought someone posted it?...like 59.6 or something. Could be wrong...

EDIT: yeah, it's several posts above yours....overall grade 56.6.

2 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I saw him wiff on a block so bad that he threw him self to the ground without anyone touching him. I laughed and thought about taking a video of it to post here, but decided that it wouldn't be fair, given his overall play.  So far so good.

You should..I want a good laugh

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I thought someone posted it?...like 59.6 or something. Could be wrong...

EDIT: yeah, it's several posts above yours....overall grade 56.6.

That ain't that high of a grade..hmmm

Archived