Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disciplined, commitment to the run football back in DC and it works! Who knew?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

9 points once again smells like discipline and just tiny improvements that will lead these men for the greater good in years to come.  

Hail.

🤣

We ran for over 100 yards in one half though! Disciplined commitment to the run works!

This thread is such a joke lolol. Too bad we're not in 1975 anymore. Maybe we'd go .500.

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We ran for over 100 yards in one half though! Disciplined commitment to the run works!

This thread is such a joke lolol. Too bad we're not in 1975 anymore. Maybe we'd go .500.

It's 2019 and the 49ers are undefeated!!!  They are averaging 38 rushing attempts per game, your post is a joke.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They also showed the ability to toss it all over the yard on Thursday, and when they need to in prior games.  The Redskins cannot do that.

I'm not sure how your response is relevant to my post.  Disciplined commitment to the run was compared to a 1975 offense and going .500.  I disagreed and provided one example.  Running the ball 25 times per game is not the reason we are losing, may actually be keeping the games closer.  We have the poorest organizational culture in the NFL and it's not going to be fixed by passing or running the ball more.  No coach can fix this disaster, it has to come from the top and I have doubts. 

3 minutes ago, emoore0222 said:

I'm not sure how your response is relevant to my post.  Disciplined commitment to the run was compared to a 1975 offense and going .500.  I disagreed and provided one example.  Running the ball 25 times per game is not the reason we are losing, may actually be keeping the games closer.  We have the poorest organizational culture in the NFL and it's not going to be fixed by passing or running the ball more.  No coach can fix this disaster, it has to come from the top and I have doubts. 

Correct

This thread was ridiculous when it was posted and it continues to get dumber by the week.

And no, citing the 49ers does not count.  They use a lot of exotic looks to elicit high level production.  In no way is that a 1975 offense.  It is writing a script on how to run the ball in the evolving nfl.

Callahan's run scheme is borderline peewee football.

Context.

The only “incremental improvement” is AP improving his ability to move up the all-time rushing list.

This team has both been bad overall and at QB for a very long time.  Yet it’s taken Bill Callahans disciplined commitment to the run 4 weeks to break an 88 year drought of not scoring a TD for 3 straight games.  Going by your ‘logic’ that it’s all about the lack of QB, the combo of Keenum and Haskins is worse than Heath Shuler, Tony Banks, John Beck, Shane Matthews and insert any number of scrubs here.

Context.  

Hurl.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Context.

The only “incremental improvement” is AP improving his ability to move up the all-time rushing list.

This team has both been bad overall and at QB for a very long time.  Yet it’s taken Bill Callahans disciplined commitment to the run 4 weeks to break an 88 year drought of not scoring a TD for 3 straight games.  Going by your ‘logic’ that it’s all about the lack of QB, the combo of Keenum and Haskins is worse than Heath Shuler, Tony Banks, John Beck, Shane Matthews and insert any number of scrubs here.

Context.  

Hurl.

That's the only incremental improvement in this team over the past 4 weeks? 

That's the only weakness/ injury on the offensive side of the ball that's negating the passing attack off the run game?

This isn't related to yourself, but that was a pretty solid gameplan yesterday all told given the conditions. Both personnel-wise and weather-wise. There's a salient criticism about the lack of adjustments to what the Bills did HT to negate the run game. And not having more PA off what we were getting the first half. But reading around this AM the narking about the overall game plan and lack of shots taken from many is beyond ridiculous. But then you don't need any context to anything to play to the masses when the overall state of the franchise has been as bad as this for as long as it has now. 

That's why anything is a futile discussion because people will only throw up the cold hold stats of the current scoring struggles from a team that was at rock bottom 4 weeks back, to begin with. And when the organisation has been this bad for so long, that's all people want to hear and why totally unfunny repeated lines like 'We're close' or 'The culture is damn good' et al continue to have legs as the protagonist that said it is the main crux of everyone's anger. 

Hail. 

48 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

That's the only weakness/ injury on the offensive side of the ball that's negating the passing attack off the run game?

This isn't related to yourself, but that was a pretty solid gameplan yesterday all told given the conditions. Both personnel-wise and weather-wise. There's a salient criticism about the lack of adjustments to what the Bills did HT to negate the run game. And not having more PA off what we were getting the first half. But reading around this AM the narking about the overall game plan and lack of shots taken from many is beyond ridiculous. But then you don't need any context to anything to play to the masses when the overall state of the franchise has been as bad as this for as long as it has now. 

That's why anything is a futile discussion because people will only throw up the cold hold stats of the current scoring struggles from a team that was at rock bottom 4 weeks back, to begin with. And when the organisation has been this bad for so long, that's all people want to hear and why totally unfunny repeated lines like 'We're close' continue to have legs as the protagonist that said it is the main crux of everyone's anger. 

Hail. 

You were laugh out loud wrong and continuing to dig that hole is an embarrassing look.

There are zero incremental improvements.  None.  All they've done is strip a junky car down to the base frame.  They haven't begun to rebuild jack****.

All we are is a simpleton head coach that wont be here next year, a way overdrafted quarterback who's presence will prevent drafting a legit franchise qb with our top 3 pick, and the most unlikable, dimwitted, tone deaf, no-place-in-the-league GM with the self awareness of a walnut.

The Redskins are Johnny Depp at the end of Blow.

If you consider this incremental improvement, your either a homer to the enth degree or you have absolutely no clue what you are looking at.  The latter is actually preffered because we've had 20 years to weed out the former.  Just know that you're wearing it whether you realize it or not.

37 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

That's why anything is a futile discussion because people will only throw up the cold hold stats of the current scoring struggles from a team that was at rock bottom 4 weeks back, to begin with. 

If 4 weeks ago they were at rock bottom, the powers that be are doing their best to plummet to the earth's core.  At no point ever, barring the squeaker of all squeakers against Miami - which if Fitz starts, we easily lose, has the offense threatened to make a ballgame.  

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

There is literally nothing of note to suggest the arrow is going up.  The offense is going backwards, on the backs of a 34 year old of whom I really like to watch play, but backwards none the less.  The incremental improvement I see is running out the clock on the season as fast as physically possible.

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

The offense has been plagued with weaknesses and injuries for years, well before Callahan took the reigns.  They still found a way to score points in some capacity the majority of the time.

The fact of the matter is the arrow is not pointing up due to a change at head coach.  If anything, it's going to cause further disdain that they don't play to win ball games.  Paul Richardson spoke out about it yesterday, that this 'we're close' crap is for the birds.  I'm certain he's not the only one that feels that way.  There's a different philosophy at play here, but when it ultimately leads to not even threatening to win a ball game - it only further creates animosity, disdain, and displeasure every week.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The fact of the matter is the arrow is not pointing up due to a change at head coach.  If anything, it's going to cause further disdain that they don't play to win ball games.  Paul Richardson spoke out about it yesterday, that this 'we're close' crap is for the birds.  I'm certain he's not the only one that feels that way.  There's a different philosophy at play here, but when it ultimately leads to not even threatening to win a ball game - it only further creates animosity, disdain, and displeasure every week.

As I talk about in the Next Day thread, I agree in a way. I'm fine with the game plan that they had for Haskins in particular for keeping it simple. I'm not fine with the fact that they didn't work on things with Haskins to include in the game plan to give the offense a chance to score. Minimizing Haskins workload while easing him in and making sure he gets the management stuff down = Great plan, not gameplanning to give the team a fighting chance = Not good gameplan. And that's where KOC and Callahan failed yesterday.

But they succeeded (for the most part) with the HASKINS part of it. Fine line to walk. I just think they could have planned things out a touch better to satisfy guys that they weren't throwing in the towel.

28 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Another prime example of why any discussion on anything not remotely negative with this team right now is a futile exercise. 

But kudos to you inferring I'm a 'homer' man. That is novel and will give a lot of long term posters on th boards a good chuckle. 

Hail. 

I gave another option too, which is where I believe you fall- dont know what you're looking at.

Just now, KDawg said:

As I talk about in the Next Day thread, I agree in a way. I'm fine with the game plan that they had for Haskins in particular for keeping it simple. I'm not fine with the fact that they didn't work on things with Haskins to include in the game plan to give the offense a chance to score. Minimizing Haskins workload while easing him in and making sure he gets the management stuff down = Great plan, not gameplanning to give the team a fighting chance = Not good gameplan. And that's where KOC and Callahan failed yesterday.

But they succeeded (for the most part) with the HASKINS part of it. Fine line to walk. I just think they could have planned things out a touch better to satisfy guys that they weren't throwing in the towel.

I don't disagree, really.  I wasn't appalled by the game plan for Haskins, like some appeared to be.  My comments are more to do with the sum of the parts since Callahan took over.  That I don't sense an uptick in any capacity across the entire team.  I don't believe this new way to lose faster is doing anything to foster anything positive going into the next season with what most likely will be a new head coach.  I expect the displeasure to eventually reach a fever pitch in the locker room.  it's one thing for the wheels to fall off in November, but to roll into November already hitch hiking is never good.

7 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Only problem with the "gameplan for Haskins" narrative, which I could get behind, is Callahan ran the same thing for Case.  

Except he didn't. He tried to run a much more involved game plan as far as the actual passing game is concerned.

The similarity was that it was very run centric still. That part has been a constant.

But he ran more screens, outs, arrows, hitches and drags with Haskins than he did with Keenum. He was trying to push the ball down field much more with Keenum. Yesterday's weather wouldn't have allowed for that, really, but the big thing was I think the gameplan was already set and the weather was a convenient get out of jail free card for the coaching staff. 

I don't understand the lack of playaction for a heavy run team for any of the quarterbacks, though. Just hasn't utilized it well, or at all. 

Like I've said, and I hope I am getting across clearly: I am okay with the game plan to ease Haskins in. I am not okay that they didn't game plan to try to win the game while easing Haskins in. But from a purely HASKINS point of view: I liked what they did. From a total complete picture POV I think the plan left a lot to be desired where Haskins still could have had an easier load but they still could have challenged the end zone.

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It's all relative though to the stage he's at in his development isn't it?

One begets the other. With just a week to work him in with the starting group and try get him as comfortable as possible, theres only so much you can focus on to not overload him. There's a salient argument as to why there wasn't more PA off the run game but again it's relative as to what he's comfortable with in a short space of prep time. 

I'd say they formulated as good a chance to win as was possible under the circumstances that kept it, with better execution, within reach into the 4th quarter. 

Fine line to walk indeed but that's where we're at with the limited personal and raw inexperience (and complete mediocrity from the veterans prior to that) under centre. 

That will only expand the more he's allowed to learn on the job and get more comfortable at this level. Hopefully, we have some TE help after the bye to give him more options to utilize. 

Hail. 

Just now, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

It's all relative though to the stage he's at in his development isn't it?

One begets the other. With just a week to work him in with the starting group and try get him as comfortable as possible, theres only so much you can focus on to not overload him. There's a salient argument as to why there wasn't more PA off the run game but again it's relative as to what he's comfortable with in a short space of prep time. 

I'd say they formulated as good a chance to win as was possible under the circumstances that kept it, with better execution, within reach into the 4th quarter. 

Fine line to walk indeed but that's where we're at with the limited personal and raw inexperience (and complete mediocrity from the veterans prior to that) under centre. 

That will only expand the more he's allowed to learn on the job and get more comfortable at this level. Hopefully, we have some TE help after the bye to give him more options to utilize. 

Hail. 

This is where you and I diverge here. I don't think including play action concepts on a heavy run team is too much to add in. Maybe not PA boot series, but simple PA with quick and easy reads in the way of arrows, outs, hitches, bubbles, etc. is more than enough. That should have been a priority over anything else. He still struggles with five step drops, and I'd argue those are less important to a heavy run scheme than play action is. I know where I would have put my resources and its not in line with where they did.

13 hours ago, emoore0222 said:

It's 2019 and the 49ers are undefeated!!!  They are averaging 38 rushing attempts per game, your post is a joke.

LOL once again people confuse causation with correlation.

The 9ers average that many rushing attempts because they have leads late and are running out the clock.

Also, their run game is very exotic and creative like someone else said. They aren't running 50 gut up the middle every 1st down.

They also have arguably the best TE in the league, two dynamic WRs in Goodwin and Sanders, and a good(albeit erratic at times)QB in Jimmy Garrapolo.

But yeah, lets just keep running the ball 30 times a game and scoring under 10 points LMAO.

55 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Another prime example of why any discussion on anything not remotely negative with this team right now is a futile exercise. 

But kudos to you inferring I'm a 'homer' man. That is novel and will give a lot of long term posters on th boards a good chuckle. 

Hail. 

You had a terrible take and are getting ridiculed for it. Just take the punishment man.

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is where you and I diverge here. I don't think including play action concepts on a heavy run team is too much to add in. Maybe not PA boot series, but simple PA with quick and easy reads in the way of arrows, outs, hitches, bubbles, etc. is more than enough. That should have been a priority over anything else. He still struggles with five step drops, and I'd argue those are less important to a heavy run scheme than play action is. I know where I would have put my resources and its not in line with where they did.

Which is fair Coach and I wouldn't say I'm necessarily disagreeing with you per se as I fully take that on board. 

I'd just be interested to know where he was at through this week and what he felt comfortable with? The one thing ever since we drafted him that gets lost on many, present company excepted, is this is a one-year college guy (starting), from an unfriendly QB/ run-heavy situation to begin with. The potential ceiling is proper high IMHO with him but the rawness, down to the inexperience as much as anything, is stark as you noted elsewhere and it's going to take a heck of a lot of patience and time before that comes to fruition.

Very fine line indeed to marry up all the parts to suit everyone. 

Hail. 

Archived