Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disciplined, commitment to the run football back in DC and it works! Who knew?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

3rd down definitely an issue on both sides of the ball. 

Only thing IMO that saved this game and kept it close was the weather.  I've sat through bad weather games before but nothing like that.  It was pelting rain on the field in various levels of intensity from hours before the game through the game itself.  You could see that the field was literally a slip and slide mess and the ball was heavy and slippery as heck. 

I've seen nothing from Callahan that inspires squat in me  at least not yet-- thus far we got two inept offensive performances.  But I'll give him a break that its early in his tenure.  Small sample size.  And I don't think even Tom Brady would have been piling on points in the deluge today.   If there was a game of hey just run the ball and slog your way through to win -- it would be this game.  But SF was better at the slogging.  I think though the weather gave us a break.  

2 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

You aren’t going to see any good offensive performances, it doesn’t matter who the coach is. There’s not enough talent.

probably so.  But I agree with Les Carpenter here, this was a golden chance.  With all the slop-mud-rain on the field it was the perfect recipe for an upset.  I doubt they get that lucky again but you never know.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-lose-to-niners-9-0-in-a-sloppy-rain-soaked-game/2019/10/20/04a2a5f4-f36c-11e9-8cf0-4cc99f74d127_story.html

The most important name inside FedEx Field on Sunday was Nestor. This was a tropical storm that roared from the Gulf of Mexico, across the South and close enough to Landover, Md., to drop hours of steady rain onto the turf, turning it into a sloppy plain of puddles and mud, robbing the San Francisco 49ers of their speed and skill.

For the Washington Redskins, Nestor should have been a literal gift from the heavens, bequeathing them a brilliant opportunity to steal victory from one of the best teams in the NFL. Instead, they squandered several chances to score, never taking advantage of San Francisco’s inability to rumble through their defense the way it has through everyone else’s.

...The rain kept pouring down, swirling around the stadium’s half-filled tiers, and Washington struggled to take advantage.

How about this for a break not seized?

So last year we were 6-4 and Smith just got hurt and we were going to Dallas on Thur for the NFC east lead. Jay at the time said because it was a short week they would be off Mon and only get a walk in before the game. At the time I was screaming and we went on to lay an egg.

Fast forward, the team is 1-6, and Callaghan said the skins would practice Mon and Tue before leaving Wed.

Man Jay was such a clown, what were Bruce and Dan thinking hanging on to this guy.

18 minutes ago, Gibbs828791 said:

So last year we were 6-4 and Smith just got hurt and we were going to Dallas on Thur for the NFC east lead. Jay at the time said because it was a short week they would be off Mon and only get a walk in before the game. At the time I was screaming and we went on to lay an egg.

Fast forward, the team is 1-6, and Callaghan said the skins would practice Mon and Tue before leaving Wed.

Man Jay was such a clown, what were Bruce and Dan thinking hanging on to this guy.

Professionalism. 

Little, step-by-step, incremental changes that will eventually turn into big ones if they're adhered to day-in, day-out. 

Hail. 

41 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Who cares, this team maybe wins 3 games this year and the organization is run by morons. No minuscule improvements to anything on the field really matter at this point.

*I'm just running with your post as it's a common, recurring theme from many .....

Then what is the point of the players and staff playing the games and working hard through the week? What's the point in anyone paying to watch on Sunday's? 

If improvement, however big or small, in whatever form, is irrelevant, we may as well just forfeit the rest of the year and close everything down right now. That totally defeats the very essence of a football team. 

Really silly thing to say mate that's madly being repeated by many across many threads.

The owner is who he is and isn't going anywhere. Allen goes, they'll be some other lapdog through some other 'ism' to Snyder replacing him. That all just is what it is and is out of anyone's control. But if you take the view that you don't want to see improvement within all that on the playing side, which is what really matters, what is the point of even being a fan? 

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

*I'm just running with your post as it's a common, recurring theme from many .....

Then what is the point of the players and staff playing the games and working hard through the week? What's the point in anyone paying to watch on Sunday's? 

If improvement, however big or small, in whatever form, is irrelevant, we may as well just forfeit the rest of the year and close everything down right now. That totally defeats the very essence of a football team. 

Really silly thing to say mate that's madly being repeated by many across many threads.

The owner is who he is and isn't going anywhere. Allen goes, they'll be some other lapdog through some other 'ism' to Snyder replacing him. That all just is what it is and is out of anyone's control. But if you take the view that you don't want to see improvement within all that on the playing side, which is what really matters, what is the point of even being a fan? 

Hail. 

I get what you're saying but this whole "little steps advancing to big steps" thing is hyperbole. They squeaked by a franchise trying to lose and rebuild, and would've lost in OT had they just kicked the extra point. It kept us from being the next 0-16 team, that's about it.

The rest of this season is just going through the motions, Callahan is not going to be head coach in 2020 and if Allen isn't fired, we'll lather, rinse, repeat and hope they don't ruin Haskins' career before it starts sadly.

So I disagree that there isn’t enough talent on offense to be a competent offense.  I’m not suggesting “greatest show on turf” or what the Patriots do, or anything.

But there are enough pieces that if you use them properly you can at least be competent.  

McLaurin is emerging as a legitimate 1.  AP can still run the ball, and credit to Callahan for running out of sets and formations which compliment APs style.

Richardson is a good enough 2 with enough speed to be efficient, and Quinn is somewhere between ok and good. 

The left side side of the OL has been ok.  Rouille is ok.  For some reason Scherff has been “meh” and Moses is and has been overrated for years.  But it’s not a catastrophic OL.

The big issue is QB. Keenum is physically limited. Colt is meh.  Haskins is ... nobody actually knows.

Given the right coaching and play calling, they could get more out of this personnel.  Callahan seems to be an improvement over Jay in some areas.  But overall, this is still a D+ coaching staff coaching C level talent.  

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

But if you take the view that you don't want to see improvement within all that on the playing side, which is what really matters, what is the point of even being a fan? 

Just because folks don't believe in this hub-bub you're preaching about this new beginning with Jay gone, doesn't mean they aren't fans.  Everyone has their reasons for liking or disliking parts of or all of this organization.  Some choose to just bail and not say anything at all, others choose to talk about it.  Obviously, you're free to continue trying to find stuff to be excited about just as everyone else is free to not see it the way you do.

The fans that are still here want something to believe in.  We convinced ourselves that Scot would work out, that's how badly we want something to believe in.  I think that's a testament to that very fact, that we do indeed want something to believe in.  We just believe differently than some and quite frankly, that's okay.

With the caveat that 1) it’s been just two games and 2) they were both far from ‘normal’ games (horrendous Fins team that switched to Fitz and got momentum, and a weather crazy game against the Niners)...

If Callahan is making a difference in the culture at Ashburn - less lackadaisical practices, practicing on short weeks, bringing in refs to help players avoid penalties, etc. - that is something that can carry over.  Doesn’t mean it will of course.  The next coach and/or the FO could undermine it.  However, I think it’s beneficial to the younger guys and other players that have only had Gruden as a coach to experience some of these differences.  

@Gibbs Hog Heaven I think you did a better job in your last post of highlighting that yes, there are major issues with the team, but that the little positive changes you talk about are simply a silver lining to a poor season (and the HC change).  

6 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

If we were to lose the rest of our games this season how would that change our look back at Gruden's years if you throw out this season?

Is Callahan going to make Gruden look bad or will Callahan show that given the talent on this team the Head Coach was not the major problem for this team?

Honestly, I'm not sure that does anything for or against Gruden.

Gruden had his own set of issues - that given what's come to light, it paints the FO in an even worse light that they let it continue. But given the short nature of Callahan's run as the HC, I don't see any way to really flesh out this thought.

I'm not sold on Callahan, but I will admit that I like some things he's doing and they are a welcome change.

Officials in practice, having the team practice on a short week, etc.

27 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

If we were to lose the rest of our games this season how would that change our look back at Gruden's years if you throw out this season?

Is Callahan going to make Gruden look bad or will Callahan show that given the talent on this team the Head Coach was not the major problem for this team?

I think both of their flaws get put on full display when coaching a team built by the likes of Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder.  

9 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just because folks don't believe in this hub-bub you're preaching about this new beginning with Jay gone, doesn't mean they aren't fans.  Everyone has their reasons for liking or disliking parts of or all of this organization.  Some choose to just bail and not say anything at all, others choose to talk about it.  Obviously, you're free to continue trying to find stuff to be excited about just as everyone else is free to not see it the way you do.

The fans that are still here want something to believe in.  We convinced ourselves that Scot would work out, that's how badly we want something to believe in.  I think that's a testament to that very fact, that we do indeed want something to believe in.  We just believe differently than some and quite frankly, that's okay.

Did I say he wasn’t a fan? 

I clearly asked him what the whole point of being a fan is if you don’t take improvement as a positive?

Hail.

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

As you may have noticed, a lot of people have seemingly decided there is no point in being a fan. Hence, the attendance, ratings, etc.

As for us, I was somewhat out of it the last two years. This year feels historic so I'm back to watch it all finally burn to the ground.

But, in the end, it's not the commitment to the run game that matters. Rather, it's the friends we've made along the way.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So I disagree that there isn’t enough talent on offense to be a competent offense.  I’m not suggesting “greatest show on turf” or what the Patriots do, or anything.

But there are enough pieces that if you use them properly you can at least be competent.  

McLaurin is emerging as a legitimate 1.  AP can still run the ball, and credit to Callahan for running out of sets and formations which compliment APs style.

Richardson is a good enough 2 with enough speed to be efficient, and Quinn is somewhere between ok and good. 

The left side side of the OL has been ok.  Rouille is ok.  For some reason Scherff has been “meh” and Moses is and has been overrated for years.  But it’s not a catastrophic OL.

The big issue is QB. Keenum is physically limited. Colt is meh.  Haskins is ... nobody actually knows.

Given the right coaching and play calling, they could get more out of this personnel.  Callahan seems to be an improvement over Jay in some areas.  But overall, this is still a D+ coaching staff coaching C level talent.  

We have truly horrific QB play, a washed 34 year old RB, no backup RB, a mediocre O-line, no TE, and I really good rookie wide receiver.

How are we not 6-1?

18 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

You aren’t going to see any good offensive performances, it doesn’t matter who the coach is. There’s not enough talent.

Hmmmm. Not sure I fully buy this.

The left side of the O'Line was the big worry coming into the season. In fact I would argue the left side has been possibly better than the right. Flowers has been a success at LG and Penn has played at least league average as a starter. Injuries to centre and RG disrupted the interior a bit and Moses has been (again) a dissapointment. But overall the line as been at least average - an offense can function with this line.

We do need to replace both tackles (IMO) for next season assuming Penn retires and Williams is not coming back - and I really think we need to upgrade Moses.

Running backs. AP still has gas in his tank and CT is one of the better 3rd down backs in the league (when healthy - which I accept is a significant caveat). It will interesting to see what Guice offers when he is back after the bye week. Then we have Love on ice for next year as well. There is a lot of talent in that backfield - at a minimum the potential is very good with Guice and Love.

TE is a mash unit. We need a new quality starter here and possibly some veteran depth behind that starter.

WR. Terry McLaurin is for real. He's a #1 receiver. We got lucky. We just have to keep feeding him the ball. Richardson and Quinn are both averaging under 10 yards a reception opposite him, they are just not getting it done. Harmon and Simms need to be getting long looks at their slots. So WR opposite Terry is absolutely a need right now but we have a real talent in Terry and some potential in Harmon and Simms. Quinn is at least reliable on option routes even if he will do very little after the catch.

Then we come to QB. Keenum has put up back to back 3500+ passing yard seasons. He's won 17 games over the last two seasons before coming to Washington. He's not a good starter but he is at least functional. A good coach should be able to design an offense around him that is respectable. Then again a good coach should also be able to get a first round rookie QB ready to play by now as well.

So ... a lot of words to say that while we dont have the talent to be say the 91 Redskins offense we should at least be able to function at respectable level with the talent available. I would totally agree that the offense is the side of the ball that needs the most attention in the offseason and a lot is going to depend on the development of Haskins - but I would also argue we have enough talent in house right now to be doing a lot better than we have seen the last three or four weeks.

39 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

As you may have noticed, a lot of people have seemingly decided there is no point in being a fan. Hence, the attendance, ratings, etc.

As for us, I was somewhat out of it the last two years. This year feels historic so I'm back to watch it all finally burn to the ground.

But, in the end, it's not the commitment to the run game that matters. Rather, it's the friends we've made along the way.

We have truly horrific QB play, a washed 34 year old RB, no backup RB, a mediocre O-line, no TE, and I really good rookie wide receiver.

How are we not 6-1?

AP isn't washed up, and the QB is not horrific.  It might not be shining but it's not horrific.  Because when you have terrible QB play no receiver truly looks good like McLauren does

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Honestly, I'm not sure that does anything for or against Gruden.

Gruden had his own set of issues - that given what's come to light, it paints the FO in an even worse light that they let it continue. But given the short nature of Callahan's run as the HC, I don't see any way to really flesh out this thought.

I'm not sold on Callahan, but I will admit that I like some things he's doing and they are a welcome change.

Officials in practice, having the team practice on a short week, etc.

Don't forget the fact that Callahan - Thank God - doesn't spend eternity going through the injury report rt after the game & on Mon morning.  I always thought that was Gruden's thinly veiled way of using injuries as an excuse for losses & poor play without actually saying it.  One of his many flaws.

Archived