Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Guardian: Google Made Large Contributions to Climate Change Deniers

Bozo the kKklown

Remember, “Don’t be evil...”

Google has made “substantial” contributions to some of the most notorious climate deniers in Washington despite its insistence that it supports political action on the climate crisis.  

Among hundreds of groups the company has listed on its website as beneficiaries of its political giving are more than a dozen organisations that have campaigned against climate legislation, questioned the need for action, or actively sought to roll back Obama-era environmental protections.  

The list includes the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI), a conservative policy group that was instrumental in convincing the Trump administration to abandon the Paris agreement and has criticised the White House for not dismantling more environmental rules.  

Google said it was disappointed by the US decision to abandon the global climate deal, but has continued to support CEI.  

Google is also listed as a sponsor for an upcoming annual meeting of the State Policy Network (SPN), an umbrella organisation that supports conservative groups including the Heartland Institute, a radical anti-science group that has chided the teenage activist Greta Thunberg for “climate delusion hysterics”.  

SPN members recently created a “climate pledge” website that falsely states “our natural environment is getting better” and “there is no climate crisis”.  

Google has defended its contributions, saying that its “collaboration” with organisations such as CEI “does not mean we endorse the organisations’ entire agenda”.  

It donates to such groups, people close to the company say, to try to influence conservative lawmakers, and – most importantly – to help finance the deregulatory agenda the groups espouse.

More in the link 

Seems like standard procedure for a nation that endorsed Citizen’s United.

Also, Google has so much money that they just throw it at literally EVERYTHING.  They’ve man so many failed products and it doesn’t matter cause they’re just printing money.

I think breaking up google doesn’t get down to the root of the problem (that corporations have entirely too much power).

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

I think breaking up google doesn’t get down to the root of the problem (that corporations have entirely too much power).

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Break Alphabet up. Amazon and Facebook, too.  Suprised you didnt bump the thread on that, I was reluctant to do this to Alphabet but I'm all in now.  Jus too much power and using it for all the wrong reasons.

I agree with both of these.

Archived