Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3-13 Finish, and #3 Draft Pick...Noooo...Please Tell Me The Gints Can Win More Games Than Us!

zCommander

I saw a stat that says we now own the #2 pick in the NFL draft if the season ended today.  While normally this would be a silver lining, my head went straight to thinking about how we traded away our 2nd round pick next year for Sweat.   That second rounder would basically be a late first!!!!!

I posted this a while back:

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:36 PM, hatchetwound said:

I think this sounds like the right way to do it.  Tear it all down, bottom out and get a great QB.

I was wondering, should we go EXTREME with the tear down?  I was doing some research on Wikipedia and over the draft website.  First, here are our comp picks, projected:

WAS 3 Kirk Cousins $28,000,000
WAS 5 Trent Murphy $7,400,000
WAS 6 Ryan Grant $5,000,000

and looking at Wikipedia, we have these picks as well:

That means we are looking at a nice haul for the upcomping draft

3 (Comp)

5 (Comp)

6 (Comp)

Here is what I am thinking... Trade our picks.   Trade all of our picks, if possible, for future picks.  Often a team will give up a better future pick for a current pick.  Lets say someone wanted our 5th rounder?  Its yours for a fourth!  Want our first rounder?  Great, we'll take your first and 2nd\third next year.  This goes for comp picks.  you can trade them now, lets take advantage of that rule.

Why do this?  For one, we need to bottom out.  No point risking new young talent during this.  Lets see what we have, shed the dead weight next year (for more comp picks) and determine who should stay for depth.  Two, we are in a world of hurt with the cap hit.  Pushing back the draft picks will save us money now AND make the future cap much more manageable.  And the draft is a shotgun approach.  There are busts, but the more picks you make, the more likely you'll hit on a gem.

So if Bruce can pull off a miracle and trade EVERY SINGLE PICK, this means our 2020 draft could look something like:

1  (Traded form 2019 - 1+3)

2 (Traded form 2019 - 3rd)

2 (Traded form 2019 - 3rd COMP)

2 (Traded form 2019 - 2+5)

3  (Traded form 2019 - 1+3)

4  (Traded form 2019 - 5th)

4  (Traded form 2019 - 5th COMP)

5  (Traded form 2019 - 6th)

5  (Traded form 2019 - 6th COMP)

5  (Traded form 2019 - 2+5)

6 (Traded form 2019 - 7th)

I went conservative.  I made it so a we only got a 1st and third for our 2019 first and a 2nd and 5th for our 2019 2nd.  In reality the haul could be even greater.  But even if we pull this off at conservative evidence, can you imagine what a killer young corps we can field with all of those 2020 picks.  Maybe even sell a few of our pieces that we have now but have a contract expiring in 2020 or later.  For example: We are going to cut Brown anyway, so lets take a 6th for him.  Then in a year or two, we will have a ton of cap space, and get the few extra pieces we need for a champiohship run!!!

Edit: Oh, and if we don't like a player in a round in 2020, sell the pick for a better 2021 picks!!!  We can push more picks into the future and own not one but several drafts.

I didn't even take comp picks into account.  What if we didn't trade that 2nd round pick.  What if we traded Trent like I was SCREAMING for the second the news hit (and got mocked for it)?  What if we had a dolphin's-esqe fire sale?  If we had the above haul PLUS comp picks PLUS picks trading trent\other vets... we would have owned the draft.

Instead we are accidently tanking and don't even have a full compliment of picks to benefit from it :angry:

1 minute ago, hatchetwound said:

I saw a stat that says we now own the #2 pick in the NFL draft if the season ended today.  While normally this would be a silver lining, my head went straight to thinking about how we traded away our 2nd round pick next year for Sweat.   That second rounder would basically be a late first!!!!!

I posted this a while back:

I didn't even take comp picks into account.  What if we didn't trade that 2nd round pick.  What if we traded Trent like I was SCREAMING for the second the news hit (and got mocked for it)?  What if we had a dolphin's-esqe fire sale?  If we had the above haul PLUS comp picks PLUS picks trading trent\other vets... we would have owned the draft.

Instead we are accidently tanking and don't even have a full compliment of picks to benefit from it :angry:

Sweat is starting to come into his own, though...slower than expected and wanted, but there are indeed signs. if he pans out, that lost 2nd won't feel like a lost 2nd anymore.

5 hours ago, zskins said:

Let's just keep Amazon out of this thread. Dan grew up as a Redskins fan. He is not going to sell the team no matter what, so it really is moot point anyways. 

Go JETS!!!! :D

Itll be interesting with crowder returning...2 hund 3 scores?..lol wouldnt surprise me

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Sweat is starting to come into his own, though...slower than expected and wanted, but there are indeed signs. if he pans out, that lost 2nd won't feel like a lost 2nd anymore.

And if ifs and butts were candy and nutts then Califan might be right every now and then 😉.  But we arent holding our breath, are we.

The Redskins matchup this week can go a long way in determining how the draft order eventually plays out. Going up against the Jets, Sunday's game could be one of the last games this season in which a win by Washington wouldn't be all that surprising. After an abysmal showing two weeks ago against the Dolphins, the Jets looked much better in a win over the Giants. Still, New York's inconsistency over the season puts them on the same level of the Redskins.

When looking at the matchup from a draft perspective, it would actually be better for the Redskins to lose. A loss would keep them close to the Bengals, and even allow them to jump if the Bengals were to pick up a win. Additionally, beating the Jets would then give New York the advantage over Washington if the two finished the season with the same amount of wins.

However, it is understandably difficult to root for your team to lose a football game, no matter how poorly the season is going. A win for Washington has its benefits as well, particularly because it would potentially mean rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins showed signs of improvement and development as he prepares to start the rest of the year. Win or lose, there will be something good to come out of Sunday's game.

As for the rest of the action around the league, here's what could help the Redskins get closer to the first pick.

Bengals beat Raiders

Switching to rookie quarterback Ryan Finley didn't seem to help the Bengals at all as a 49-13 loss to the Ravens dropped them to 0-9. On both sides of the football, the Bengals just don't look like they have enough to match or compete with anyone.

Week 11 won't be any easier, as the Raiders are a team that is finding its footing as the season continues. At this point, the Bengals winning seems far-fetched even after all the upsets that just took place, but Redskins fans should be pulling for that far fetched results to happen anyway.

Dolphins stay hot and defeat the Bills

Miami, somehow, is on a two-game winning streak. That seems like a sentence that doesn't belong in 2019. Yes, the latest victory was against a Brian Hoyer-led Colts team, but Ryan Fitzpatrick and company are playing decently and have some confidence heading into a battle with Buffalo. 

Though the Bills are the superior team, Buffalo's offense has not clicked much in recent weeks. In the Miami heat, crazier things have happened.

Falcons build off shocking upset to take down Panthers

No game may have been more surprising than the one in which the 1-7 Falcons went into New Orleans and totally outmatched the 7-1 Saints. If that same team somehow shows up against the Panthers this weekend, there's no reason to think Atlanta won't extend its winning streak to two.

Other things to monitor

The Giants jumped from sixth to third in the draft order after losing to the Jets and are now in serious consideration for the first pick. However, a bye this week means New York can't really do much to benefit anyone else.

As for three-win teams like the Browns, Buccaneers, Broncos, Cardinals and Lions, the Redskins still hold two-game leads over all of them. So wins or losses by those squads won't immediately impact Washington's standing, though wins would make things easier for the Redskins down the stretch.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

........ Additionally, beating the Jets would then give New York the advantage over Washington if the two finished the season with the same amount of wins.

This is the second time this week that I've read a report that mentioned head to head as a tie breaker for draft order. Unless it's been changed  (pretty sure it hasn't) strength of schedule always was the first tie breaker and it's very rare (and exceedingly unlikely) that teams from different conferences end up with the same strength of schedule. 

Do we really need the number 1 pick, if the Bengals pick 1st it almost certainly will be a QB, likewise with the Dolphins. The Jets could be a dark house for Young but could also go for Tua, I'm personally OK with going with Haskins in 2020, I believe that Young will be available at 3rd or 4th pick. Can't see the Giants drafting a QB neither and the Falcons will still go with Ryan. 

Just my thoughts. 

HTTR 

41 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Do we really need the number 1 pick, if the Bengals pick 1st it almost certainly will be a QB, likewise with the Dolphins. The Jets could be a dark house for Young but could also go for Tua, I'm personally OK with going with Haskins in 2020, I believe that Young will be available at 3rd or 4th pick. Can't see the Giants drafting a QB neither and the Falcons will still go with Ryan. 

Just my thoughts. 

HTTR 

My dream scenario:

Top 3 draft order:

1. Redskins

2. Bengals

3. Dolphins

The Bengals and Dolphins both need QBs. The Dolphins have plenty of ammo to jump the Bengals to make sure they get the QB they want, and not just the leftover. Maybe they won't give up another 1st this year, but maybe a high 2nd this year and throw in a 2nd next year. Not a bad recoup for moving down 2 spots.

In this scenario the Redskins can recoup some draft ammo, and still pick Chase Young at 3. I know there's no chance in hell of that scenario happening, but as long as we're dreaming, might as well dream big.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The Bengals still have the Fins and Jets to play so I wonder how that tiebreaker would work.

I think we're firmly in that 2nd spot at minimum, I can't see us winning another game so it just comes down to Cincy winning one of those 2 games.

And they play the Browns twice without Garrett. 

26 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The Bengals still have the Fins and Jets to play so I wonder how that tiebreaker would work.

Head to head would only come into play if they all finish finish with the same record and exact same SoS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#Rules_for_determining_draft_order

The selection order is based on each team's win-loss record in the previous season and whether the team reached the playoffs. Teams that did not reach the playoffs the previous season are ranked in reverse order of their records (thus the team with the fewest wins is awarded the first selection). Ties between teams with identical records are determined by the following tiebreakers (in order):

1. Strength of schedule, which is the combined win-loss record for all 16 of the team's opponents in the previous season (ties count as a half win and half loss). The team with the lower strength of schedule (i.e. their opponents compiled fewer wins) is granted the earlier pick in round one.
  2. If the teams are in the same division, the other playoff tiebreakers will be applied in the specified order.
  3. If the teams are in the same conference, the other playoff tiebreakers will be applied in the specified order.
  4. Coin flip(s), which occur(s) at the pre-draft NFL Combine.

I'm still concerned over the Giants game, and hopefully none of the other teams lay an egg against us.  Panthers were horrible today, but I assume Mccaffery (sp) should be more than enough for us to drop that.  Lions is a possible W.  Fingers crossed we can tank it bros!! 

Archived