Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Thompson where do I begin?

joeken24

The military vet not having any time for another man's emotional response to losing a teammate/coach. 

giphy.gif

In honestly, thank you for your service. I know there's a chance that you've seen and done things that many of us couldn't do and it was all done for our shared freedom. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You just expended more time and emotion than he did in that interview...and he at least had a reason to be upset. Grow up. Nobody cares what you think about this.

And your reason for replying is....? Looks like you care a lot.

3 minutes ago, Unbias said:

The military vet not having any time for another man's emotional response to losing a teammate/coach. 

giphy.gif

😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, joeken24 said:

Nah. Just trying to get a temperature. Rest assured, I know my audience. 

But I remember another player crying about his QB and it becoming a national punchline and a favorite .gif. Remember this?

giphy.gif.31007319f8f31d2837dc573f39df9c6c.gif

So be honest. Did you laugh at this and/or make fun of it when it happened? Here's another guy that plays with heart and emotion (all be it with cowgirls). No need to answer, just make sure you're being honest with yourself. Regardless of how he was perceived, in this case his pain was over being concerned for someone besides himself. Same thing with Chris. Fine.

I started out by saying its better for a man to release stress and frustrations than to walk around with a health problem waiting to happen. My point was that Chris cries on just about every interview I've seen him in lately. Heart or no heart, there's a time and place IMO. Further, for those that walk sheepishly and silently through life worrying about getting their ass whooped, that's your choice. Been through too much to worry about that ****. 

To me, I could give a damn about Chris crying over his coach getting fired. It does nothing. I like Chris as a player and maybe even as a guy if we knew each other. But if I knew him, I would say bro, why the **** are you always crying? You cried during the interview with Guice and that **** got national attention. Through all the **** this team has been through, never seen you crying before (?). Are you crying for publicity? WTF bro (now that's a joke for some of you (i really should say all of you) sensitive ones).

And admittedly so, this was meant to be a bit. Cause frankly I'm not losing any sleep over Chris crying. I mean really..... ????

But of course the sensitive ones here are sure to come out the wood works. Just align me with Patrice O'Neal. That'll keep things in perspective if/when you find yourself bothered by something your read. 

I think the TO situation was somewhat of a unique situation. TO has always been a "Love me some me" type guy his entire career leading up to that, so that's what made his comments catch people off guard. I'd add that happened over 10 years ago, so society's views on male emotion have changed quite a bit. Actual the psychological community have made some meaningful breakthroughs in that time, so our overall understanding of processing loss/failure has changed as well. 

Ya'll are too damn serious. Go to a thread where people are talking about world hunger and injustice. Sheesh. 

The season is ****ing over for all intents and purposes. Normally its over around mid season for college football so folks can start talking about who to take in the draft. But its over damn near before it began. 

19 minutes ago, Unbias said:

giphy.gif

You really went there, huh?  CT's emotional response to his coach getting fired somehow doesnt seem remotely analogous.  lol

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

You really went there, huh?  CT's emotional response to his coach getting fired somehow doesnt seem remotely analogous.  lol

I can assume that's his perspective. It's like all emotionally charged issues. I only have an emotional response that aligns with my past experiences. 

The guy said he's a vet, so I'm assuming he's seen some stuff that's heavier than a coach being fired. Granted, many of our great military warriors have complications re-adjusting back to the society they were protecting. I'm assuming it's that they can't 'un-see' some things, but overall it's rare for the same person who was a successful soldier is also an open emotional book. 

I don't begrudge Chris Thompson for getting emotional.  Lost in this thread about "toxic masculinity" is the backstory that Gruden was the one that believed in Chris Thompson and kept him around.  I'm sure the way CT sees it, he's got a career in the NFL because of Gruden, IIRC he said something on social media about how Gruden brought him along from the practice squad.

I've been around Chris Thompson.  He's a bright, soft spoken guy.  At training camp he's always signing autographs for kids.  Media loves him because no matter how bad the loss is, he'll talk.  I really like him...he's the type of guy that if you don't like him, well, you probably don't like people in general.

That all said, my issue here with him is that CT isn't separating the idea of "a players coach" from one that can instill discipline and win.  We've all heard how lax it was around Gruden and I think there's a fine line between "keeping it loose and fun" and not holding players to standards.  McVay, for example, doesn't strike me as a hardass but he's a guy who the players seem to respect and play well for.  He gets his team prepared and ready to go.  He makes halftime adjustments.  He knew how to recruit a good defensive coordinator...

Of course, there's going to be the posters like the OP who say "He's crying, he's a ****" and I guess when you're a hammer everything is a nail.   For some there's no room for nuance and gray areas in anything.

5 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Showing emotion is not weakness. Crying is not weakness.

Hating on or being afraid to show emotion or cry, because you are pressed by what others might think about you or because you think it's not "manly" is a weakness. It's also a symptom of hyper or sometimes toxic masculinity.

Being vulnerable, but still getting **** done and having life handled is the sign of a mature man.

This was a great post. Thanks man.

13 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Well let me ask you this... can he whoop MY ass?

oh, he can? 

But his name’s Chris Thompson... I mean, he’s a white guy right?

I took an ambien last night. What’s the record for highest number of confused emojis ever garnered by one post?

There is a difference between what Owens did and Chris did. 

Owens crying was fake and everyone knew it and that's why it became a meme. Not to mention Owens  was in the media all of the time, because he liked the attention. Chris isn't trying to get attention. He is actually upset that his coach of 5 years got fire and probably blames himself for it some what. 

Big damn difference between Owens and Chris. 

2 hours ago, ddub52 said:

Guys don’t get all worked up, he’s just joeken

BOOM!!! Holy ****. Maybe I should replace the n with a r. 

16 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

There is a difference between what Owens did and Chris did. 

Owens crying was fake and everyone knew it and that's why it became a meme. Not to mention Owens  was in the media all of the time, because he liked the attention. Chris isn't trying to get attention. He is actually upset that his coach of 5 years got fire and probably blames himself for it some what. 

Big damn difference between Owens and Chris. 

Now this is shenanigans!!

This has to be one of the more toxic posts I've seen, joking or not.  There are so many things about this post that are ignorant and dumb, and clearly based off resentment from the team's 0-5 record, that I don't even know where to start.

Team just finished a game that put them at 0-5,  emotions are naturally going to run high.  He clearly knows his coach is going to be fired, the coach that helped him make a name for himself, and probably feels like he failed his coach/colleague/friend, contributing to his firing.  He has every right to be this emotional, as he should be.  Doesn't make him "a ****ing [childish insult] ", it makes him a damn human being.  But yeah, let's mock and resent him for it.

Go somewhere in private, let your emotions out and stand there like a ****ing man and give the damn interview. You look like a ****ing (fill in the blank but you know what I want to say)

Yeah, he should mask his emotions based upon how it makes you feel.  Totally healthy way to deal with your emotions is to keep them bottled up, as to not annoy others.

WTF bro (now that's a joke for some of you (i really should say all of you) sensitive ones).

But of course the sensitive ones here are sure to come out the wood works.

The condescension is strong with this one.

And admittedly so, this was meant to be a bit.

Yeah,? Not a thinly veiled, resentful rant?  If so, it's not a funny one.  But I suppose it's easier to backtrack on a "bit" regarding a clearly upset player, as opposed to a hard stance.

Everything about this post is pointless.

Archived