Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

Got my doubts the Pats let Cam get away.  But if they do I'd be surprised if they don't chase and land Newton if they aren't in position to get one of the top QBs in the draft.

When I divved into Rivera when it came out he was a prospect to come here, I found a lot of mutual Rivera-Cam admiration stuff.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/05/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-scott-turner

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — Cam Newton and Panthers quarterbacks coach Scott Turner have been talking about this notebook for 10 minutes now, as if it’s a guide to the next phase of the 2015 NFL MVP’s career. When asked to describe it, they look at each other and all they can do is laugh.

“It’s just a normal big binder, with some tabs,” Turner says.

“What you get your kids for school,” Newton adds.

For over a year now, this notebook has been a work in progress. What started as a spiralbound notebook was eventually moved to a binder—that’s why Turner and Newton refer to it as his notebook still—with ripped out pages catalogued by the associated protections. The quarterback used to just tear out the pages from the notebook and snap them into the binder via the three hole punches. But in time, the holes would fray and rip, which led to another adjustment. Now, he slides the pages into plastic sleeves.

When he’s not on the practice field, the binder’s always with Newton, and it’s always growing, which has necessitated the aforementioned “operations” that he says he’s had to perform on it. He carries it at the facility with him and at home with him. Anytime, there’s something he’s wondering about, it’s the first place he looks for an answer—and most of the time he can find one in there.

If you wonder why Newton played so well at the start of last season, the metaphorical answer is in there too, as is the reason why he’s so confident now on what 2019 holds.

“I’m playing my best football of my career, because I know what I’m doing,” he says. “I’m not guessing. Coach [Ron Rivera] has created an environment where you’ve got a bunch of selfless, talented guys, and that’s key to winning. No matter how good you are, everybody’s working towards the greater good of the team. And for me, being the quarterback, obviously a lot more responsibility is thrust on what I’m supposed to be doing.

“But it’s not pressure, because I know what I’m supposed to be doing.”

...These talks would happen in meetings, of course. But there’d also be times where Newton would pop into Turner’s office, or Turner would go down and do it with Newton over dinner. Really, whenever Newton was ready to learn, they would talk. And over time a theme emerged from these lessons.

We’d just talk all the time in the quarterback room not just with Cam, but everybody, just about processing information,” Turner says. “And what he’s saying, getting the ball out of your hand and trusting your guys. if it doesn’t look good, get it out, you’re not taking hits, and you trust your guys to make plays. And in order to do that, you have to know where everybody is. Just building this process has gotten us there.”

So why was Newton playing his best ball early last year?... because Scott Turner and Newton were making the most of every minute they had together, by making sure Newton was absorbing everything.

Asked to affirm the self-assessment, that Newton is better than ever, Rivera responds, “Without a doubt. Without a doubt.”

Newton is 30 years old now. He’s going into his ninth NFL season. He had offseason shoulder surgery.

And this notebook tells the story of why he feels like he’s never been in a better spot.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
11 hours ago, ggarriso said:

Grant Paulsen posted some interesting stats on Twitter this afternoon - even with this somewhat uneven performance Allen outperformed 90% of Haskins games overall - and his drive sustainability was better than any Haskins led game.  Allen is the better QB by almost any measurable stat and obviously from the eye test.  

But see the Haskins guys can't admit this. I read @IrepDC say something like  "Allen has to play much better than yesterday to justify the Haskins benching".  Fans see what they want to see I guess because as you said it was clear that Allen was better than Dwayne in so many ways. He made plays that Haskins simply can't make, his throw on the run for a first down being just one of many examples.  You can't overlook the turnovers obviously but you also can't overlook how he took the team right down the field with a beautiful TD pass that could have tied the game at the end.  

I'm not white knighting for Allen as some good QB or anything. Just pointing out the difference between a legit NFL QB and a player who is not an NFL QB.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

But see the Haskins guys can't admit this. I read @IrepDC say something like  "Allen has to play much better than yesterday to justify the Haskins benching".  Fans see what they want to see I guess because as you said it was clear that Allen was better than Dwayne in so many ways. He made plays that Haskins simply can't make, his throw on the run for a first down being just one of many examples.  You can't overlook the turnovers obviously but you also can't overlook how he took the team right down the field with a beautiful TD pass that could have tied the game at the end.  

I'm not white knighting for Allen as some good QB or anything. Just pointing out the difference between a legit NFL QB and a player who is not an NFL QB.  

My analysis has been way more thorough than yall give me credit for, but okay. Keep over simplifying it as if I'm just covering for Haskins because that's easier to dismiss lol. I'm over it. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

That doesn’t take away from the fact that the Bears made the move they saw as necessary even with having their best start in years. Haskins has earned nothing.  Being a first rounder doesn’t give him a starting spot.  Any other QB with his numbers here would be dragged through the mud and everyone would be yelling g for a change except Griffin who got every benefit of the doubt. 

It nullifies your argument.  Matt Nagy coached Trubisky for two years before this season.  He did not pull him after two games.

Your argument that black QBs don't face racism and double standards, and that it's the white QBs that have it bad is laughably clueless and naive.

• Confused 1
4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It nullifies your argument.  Matt Nagy coached Trubisky for two years before this season.  He did not pull him after two games.

Your argument that black QBs don't face racism and double standards, and that it's the white QBs that have it bad is laughably clueless and naive.

Poster said nothing about race, it was you who introduced that to the discussion.  Thank you for proving a point made earlier, your feelings on Dwayne are based in part on his race and that is wrong.  If the roles were reversed and Dwayne was the undrafted FA who showed flashes and Allen was the first round pick who has been outright terrible with work ethic issues you would have a totally different take on the 2 players.  Again that is wrong.  

• Thanks 2
11 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Poster said nothing about race, it was you who introduced that to the discussion.  Thank you for proving a point made earlier, your feelings on Dwayne are based in part on his race and that is wrong.  If the roles were reversed and Dwayne was the undrafted FA who showed flashes and Allen was the first round pick who has been outright terrible with work ethic issues you would have a totally different take on the 2 players.  Again that is wrong.  

Ah yes.  "The people who point out the existence of racism are the real racists" schtick.  This thread has delivered all of the hits.  How about you go back and read @RichmondRedskin88's recent posts in this thread, specifically the ones whining about how toxic the fans are who talk about the racism of the NFL, and how it was really Kirk and not RGIII who had it bad?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Ah yes.  "The people who point out the existence of racism are the real racists" schtick.  This thread has delivered all of the hits.  How about you go back and read @RichmondRedskin88's recent posts in this thread, specifically the ones whining about how toxic the fans are who talk about the racism of the NFL, and how it was really Kirk and not RGIII who had it bad?

Feel free to reference them.  Because I’ve found out fan base to be one of the worst offenders making things about race lately.  Haskins being benched was about his poor play going back to last year.  Not two games as you tried to suggest a few posts ago.  This would be his senior year I believe if he was in college so you’d expect his mechanics to be on par with a QB getting ready to come out as would you expect with his decision making.  Neither are there.  His decision making in particular has been horrendous.  Allen’s fumble was just unfortunate.  His interception was just bad.  Haskins’s interceptions are balls that never should have been thrown.  His fumbles are because he’s not aware of his surroundings at all.  

Oh and yes Griffin got the benefit of doubt for 2 years because of 2012.  Every excuse from clearly it’s still the injury to he’s just trying to get his groove back.  Kirk came in and turned public enemy number 1 for taking Griffin’s spot. He got dissected like a frog at a excited lab class.  He took way more heat than Griffin ever did.   No different than Allen now.  Haskins was beloved by many and yes for quite a few it’s for other reasons than football as you easily can find on redskin groups.  Seeing him replaced by Allen is bringing a nasty side out of some people in the current climate.  The difference between back then with RG vs Kirk and Haskins vs Allen is the society temperature is at a high you haven’t seen in quite awhile.  If you had the RG3 Kirk situation now it would be very ugly. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Pats are not paying Cam. They didn’t pay Brady market value. Cam will be our QB next year and we’re winning the division. Calling it now.

Back to reality:

If the Football Team formerly known as the Washington Redskins signs Cam Newton next year he will have a season ending injury by week 3 and the "Football Team" will finish 6-10 or worse.

Calling it now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
On 10/19/2020 at 7:20 AM, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have been hesitant to post my thoughts here as it's an uncomfortable topic. But since you brought it up there is no question race is playing a part in the reaction from certain fans. All you have to do is listen to the callers on that show. Most all are African American and most all come with the same take, it's that Dwayne has been treated unfairly despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary,  many have said if he were white it would be different.  It's fair to say if the roles` were reversed and Kyle was the first round pick who was benched after 11 starts and Dwayne was the undrafted QB who showed flashes next year they would have a completely different take on the 2 players.

I personally believe that is the wrong way to look at the situation. Dwayne has been given every chance to take this job, he has failed every way imaginable and his skin color has nothing to do with any of this.  

LOL I just found this post by you, in response to a post where @RichmondRedskin88 was making a whiny post about how people only defend Haskins because he's black.  You knew he did it because you responded to him and still made that disingenuous little post.  Now I also understand why you felt personally attacked when I said it was laughably clueless and naive to think black QBs don't have to deal with racism and double standards.

Those who have decided to bring race into this discussion - please take it to the tailgate. This is not the place for it. Many of us come here to get away from this type of discussion. The sad part is the ones doing so know the rules here very well and should know better. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Got my doubts the Pats let Cam get away.  But if they do I'd be surprised if they don't chase and land Newton if they aren't in position to get one of the top QBs in the draft.

When I divved into Rivera when it came out he was a prospect to come here, I found a lot of mutual Rivera-Cam admiration stuff.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/05/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-scott-turner

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — Cam Newton and Panthers quarterbacks coach Scott Turner have been talking about this notebook for 10 minutes now, as if it’s a guide to the next phase of the 2015 NFL MVP’s career. When asked to describe it, they look at each other and all they can do is laugh.

“It’s just a normal big binder, with some tabs,” Turner says.

“What you get your kids for school,” Newton adds.

For over a year now, this notebook has been a work in progress. What started as a spiralbound notebook was eventually moved to a binder—that’s why Turner and Newton refer to it as his notebook still—with ripped out pages catalogued by the associated protections. The quarterback used to just tear out the pages from the notebook and snap them into the binder via the three hole punches. But in time, the holes would fray and rip, which led to another adjustment. Now, he slides the pages into plastic sleeves.

When he’s not on the practice field, the binder’s always with Newton, and it’s always growing, which has necessitated the aforementioned “operations” that he says he’s had to perform on it. He carries it at the facility with him and at home with him. Anytime, there’s something he’s wondering about, it’s the first place he looks for an answer—and most of the time he can find one in there.

If you wonder why Newton played so well at the start of last season, the metaphorical answer is in there too, as is the reason why he’s so confident now on what 2019 holds.

“I’m playing my best football of my career, because I know what I’m doing,” he says. “I’m not guessing. Coach [Ron Rivera] has created an environment where you’ve got a bunch of selfless, talented guys, and that’s key to winning. No matter how good you are, everybody’s working towards the greater good of the team. And for me, being the quarterback, obviously a lot more responsibility is thrust on what I’m supposed to be doing.

“But it’s not pressure, because I know what I’m supposed to be doing.”

...These talks would happen in meetings, of course. But there’d also be times where Newton would pop into Turner’s office, or Turner would go down and do it with Newton over dinner. Really, whenever Newton was ready to learn, they would talk. And over time a theme emerged from these lessons.

We’d just talk all the time in the quarterback room not just with Cam, but everybody, just about processing information,” Turner says. “And what he’s saying, getting the ball out of your hand and trusting your guys. if it doesn’t look good, get it out, you’re not taking hits, and you trust your guys to make plays. And in order to do that, you have to know where everybody is. Just building this process has gotten us there.”

So why was Newton playing his best ball early last year?... because Scott Turner and Newton were making the most of every minute they had together, by making sure Newton was absorbing everything.

Asked to affirm the self-assessment, that Newton is better than ever, Rivera responds, “Without a doubt. Without a doubt.”

Newton is 30 years old now. He’s going into his ninth NFL season. He had offseason shoulder surgery.

And this notebook tells the story of why he feels like he’s never been in a better spot.

Typically I am with you. But not here. As far as the love fest - I lived in Carolina just abotu the entire time Cam was there. Ron R attitude towards Cam could most be described as tolerated. At first it was a bit fatherly as Cam, not unlike Haskins BTW, came into the league immature. The difference is he had a much better set of skills - not many of them passing, but skills none the less. So they settled into a coexistence. 

But let's for a minute make the assumption that their relationship was perfect. They both admired each other and loved working together. It would be insanely stupid to bring Cam here. I said it from day one. That's the one thing that will make me turn on Ron R right away. Cam is a POS and at this point not a very good QB. I posted the numbers a few pages back where Cam and Haskins numbers in their respective 4 starts are very similar with Cam have the edge on comp % but Haskin is ahead on TD/Int ration and yards. Bill B is clearly protecting Cam with running - he has only averaged 29 atts/gm to Haskins 37 att/gm.  

As I said, I believe it would be monumentally stupid to bring Cam Newton here. I will be very disappointed in Ron R on several levels if they make that move.  

Edited by goskins10
  • Thanks 3

Setting aside football entirely, Cam Newton is the furthest thing from “a POS” and people have to stop posting stuff like that. He’s a good dude and a great teammate no matter how much he rubs people the wrong way because he made mistakes in college and...likes fashion? 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Those who have decided to bring race into this discussion - please take it to the tailgate. This is not the place for it. Many of us come here to get away from this type of discussion. The sad part is the ones doing so know the rules here very well and should know better. 

Despite @Darrell Green Fan's lie to the contrary, I'm not the one who brought the topic up.  But race is absolutely germane to this topic, and trying to make this forum a safe space where we ignore the existence of racism in the NFL and racial double standards that black NFL players face is not going to serve this forum well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

LOL I just found this post by you, in response to a post where @RichmondRedskin88 was making a whiny post about how people only defend Haskins because he's black.  You knew he did it because you responded to him and still made that disingenuous little post.  Now I also understand why you felt personally attacked when I said it was laughably clueless and naive to think black QBs don't have to deal with racism and double standards.

I’m not gonna keep on this as people are asking to stop but you are the one who refuses to accept the current climate.  I checked a few redskin groups this more including the main one and shocker race arguments.  If you really don’t think their racial stuff in this QB controversy you are putting your head in the sand.   There’s been countless articles from sports sites making it about race. And there’s absolutely fans doing it too.  That’s the current temperature of society.  From the vibe I’m getting from you seems to be suggesting Haskins got wronged here because of a double standard.  His play got him bench.  And rightfully so. 

16 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

But let's for a minute make the assumption that their relationship was perfect. They both admired each other and loved working together. It would be insanely stupid to bring Cam here. I said it from day one. That's the one thing that will make me turn on Ron R right away. Cam is a POS and at this point not a very good QB. I posted the numbers a few pages back where Cam and haskins numbers in their respective 4 starts are very similar with Cam have the edge on comp % but Haskin is ahead on TD/Int ration and yards. Bill B is clearly protesting Cam with running - he has only averaged 29 atts/gm to Haskins 37 att/gm.  

I believe it would be monumentally stupid to bring Cam Newton here. I will be very disappointed in Ron R on several levels if they make that move.  

I don't have a strong opinion about Cam one way or another.   But I would certainly take him over our current crop of QBs.  My hard take is Haskins isn't a franchise QB, I felt that way before the draft, i feel even stronger about it now.   Kyle Allen to me is fine as a backup but i don't think he's the future.  Cam isn't my #1 desire by a long shot.  I want one of the top QBs in the upcoming draft.

Going off on my own tangent now, not directed at your point below.

I want a QB in the draft everything being equal.  I find the discussion about how the coaching staff will screw up the next QB -- the premise of that point is if you can screw up Haskins, who can't you screw up?  That to me is beyond comical.  As Joe Banner, ex-executive of an NFL team said, he had colleagues rate Haskins as a third rounder, the WFT didn't ruin him, he was overdrafted.  Haskins IMO and the opinion of many others is a project and apparently without the right intangibles where you have faith that he overcomes his project status.   

Maybe this benching shocks the intangibles into Haskins, will see.  I do think he's a nice kid and smart but if you don't have that obsessive drive to be the best then that goal I think will allude him.  And frankly even if he had that drive I am not sure I'd bet on him because his weakness is one of the worst one to have as a QB, ball placement.   Yeah if he had a rocket of an arm (he has a very good one but not elite) like Josh Allen and can run like Josh Allen, then maybe I'd be patient.  But IMO he doesn't have through the roof talent where it warranted a ton of patience especially if he has questionable intangibles.

Haskins to me isn't a verdict on the coacing staff.  And if it were, I'd give them an A.  It's not the coaching and FO's job to subjugate their opinion for the most lousy wannabe scout on the WFT, Dan Snyder.    The fact that they are benching Dan's dude is a healthy sign for changing the culture especially factoring the context around the story. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Setting aside football entirely, Cam Newton is the furthest thing from “a POS” and people have to stop posting stuff like that. He’s a good dude and a great teammate no matter how much he rubs people the wrong way because he made mistakes in college and...likes fashion? 

If Cam is a good teammate and not a boat rocker then we have little choice but to pursue him. Could Cam help DH develop? Maybe, maybe not. However, the team needs to know that they have a QB they can win with. Terry Mac needs to know that when he runs routes right the ball will come to him. Guys on the offensive line need to know Cam will help them out...The defense needs hope at the QB position. If Cam can bring these things and can still play at a high level then bring him in....we got nothin better.

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

I will post my opinion all I want. I lived in Carolina and watched all of his games and heard all the more inside stuff. OK, he does some charity stuff and eventually became as less self-centered team-mate. But I still believe him to be a POS. I am very much entitled to my opinion and will post it every time. He is whiney, self centered, and childish. It's not just rubbing me the wrong way. He is not who I would want on this team. 

You are free to feel differently and state your position as much as you want. But I could care less what you think I should post. I will post my opinion all I want to. Not up to you lust like it's not up to me what you post.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
36 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Despite @Darrell Green Fan's lie to the contrary, I'm not the one who brought the topic up.  But race is absolutely germane to this topic, and trying to make this forum a safe space where we ignore the existence of racism in the NFL and racial double standards that black NFL players face is not going to serve this forum well. 

To honor the board rules I will walk away from this but believe me I had plenty more to say to you.

But not before bringing up Paxton Lynch, a topic you are avoiding for obvious reasons. Did the Denver fans rally around Paxton and claim he was treated terribly unfairly after only 4 starts?  No they did not. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I will post my opinion all I want. I lived in Carolina and watched all of his games and heard all the more inside stuff. OK, he does some charity stuff and eventually became as less self-centered team-mate. But I still believe him to be a POS. I am very much entitled to my opinion and will post it every time. He is whiney, self centered, and childish. It's not just rubbing me the wrong way. He is not who I would want on this team. 

You are free to feel differently and state your position as much as you want. But I could care less what you think I should post. I will post my opinion all I want to. Not up to you lust like it's not up to me what you post.  

To your point about Cam being a "POS", are you saying you wouldn't want him even if it upgraded the QB position to the point where we are division and NFC contenders the next 3-5 years? Kirk Cousins was the nicest teammate ever but where did that get us? If RR brings Cam in I would suspect and trust that he's doing so because he thinks Cam will help the culture and help put W's on the board.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

To your point about Cam being a "POS", are you saying you wouldn't want him even if it upgraded the QB position to the point where we are division and NFC contenders the next 3-5 years? Kirk Cousins was the nicest teammate ever but where did that get us? If RR brings Cam in I would suspect and trust that he's doing so because he thinks Cam will help the culture and help put W's on the board.

If it turned out that he upgraded our team I would gladly admit being wrong - and have done so before. It wouldn't change my mind about him and I still would not want him on the team. Same as I felt about Jeff George who was the worst POS there was. 

Having said that, I am confident that he is not the missing piece to the puzzle. Again, he is on par with Haskins numbers (not good) and on a much better football team. How is he going to help here? We have a lot of holes that need to be filled - QB is just one. Allen is back-up, no more. But he could hold the reigns well enough until they find the long term solution. Especially with Alex behind him.  

I have invited yall to make a topic about race and politics as it pertains to sports and QBs and Haskins in particular and you still choose to have the conversation in the place its not wanted or allowed. I have to assume that's intentional **** you to the mods and everyone else not trying to have that discussion. 

And some of yall don't even add anything else to the discussion. I hate you guys in particular. 

• Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Cam is one of my least favorite players. But you have a point, if he can help us at a position of near desperation I'd be OK taking a chance with him.  But I still think he signs with NE.  

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I have invited yall to make a topic about race and politics as it pertains to sports and QBs and Haskins in particular and you still choose to have the conversation in the place its not wanted or allowed. I have to assume that's intentional **** you to the mods and everyone else not trying to have that discussion. 

And some of yall don't even add anything else to the discussion. I hate you guys in particular. 

I apologize and was wondering if this type of discussion violated the rules, which is why I didn't post my thoughts until the topic was brought up.  I edited my last post and will avoid the topic here for sure. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Because he was committed to giving Dwayne a real chance, something some fans here can't acknowledge.  

Exactly. Ron had to eviscerate any hope in Haskins. That part of the plan is now complete. He has a clean slate and full control now.

I don’t get the Cam hate. His teammates love him. Maybe not Josh Norman, but most do. He seems legitimately healthy and a top 10 QB again. He will be 32 start of next year. Probably 3 good years left. Instantly becomes the best QB in the division. 

• Like 1