Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

On 10/16/2020 at 3:39 PM, GothSkinsFan said:

What I don't get is all those pre- and post-draft videos where Haskins is giving master class on play dissection; what happened now?

Anyone who's advanced in football to a certain level should be able to break down tape and understand what's going on. 

I've said this before on this board, I'll say it again here.  There's a good chunk of football fans (me included, I'm not above this critique) that hear all this ****, like when Cooley was on the radio and giving a play breakdown and he goes something like "That's a triple zebra 3rd zone flank right peanut butter and jelly sandwich hybrid combo, no mayo which means Cousins is going to take a 5 step drop, the running back goes to the flat, the x receiver does a hi-lo **** squiggle in the middle of the field which allows the A receiver to clear the zone so the j receiver can get behind the defense and Cousins can get the ball to the back in the flat, but he should have hit the G receiver who was running a sluggo route in the corner."  

I mean, that's what it sounds like some of the time.  None of us can rightfully break down tape like that, but is sure sounds impressive and that's why everyone was all like "OMG COOLEY'S FILM BREAKDOWN IS REQUIRED LISTENING" because it makes you feel smarter for listening.  And that's all that Haskins ever did in those pre and post draft videos.  Meanwhile we're all supposed to be amazed because someone who knows more about football than 95% of us can speak it at a relatively high level.  I'm not amazed when my mechanic tells me what's wrong with my car, I expect him to be able to say a bunch of **** that I've never heard of before so he can tell me what needs fixing.  It was the same thing in those videos.

Here's the rub:  I might not know what the **** Cooley is talking about when he goes over my head with the football lingo, but it's clear as day when Haskins misses a wide open running back 4 yards away just as obvious as when my car has a flat tire.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

""Meyer made clear to show how much respect he has for Washington head coach Ron Rivera, but also said that Haskins would be helped if he played for a better team. Washington went 3-13 last year in Haskins' rookie season, and is off to a 1-4 start in 2020. 

"The key is you have to get off a bad team," Meyer said. 

The coach talked about another Washington quarterback in Alex Smith, who Meyer coached at the University of Utah back in the early 2000s. Smith was drafted No. 1 overall in 2005, and Meyer said he heard plenty of negatives about Smith after his rookie season. 

"Alex Smith was told that he was a mistake," Meyer said. "I remember some people telling me he was a bust. Obviously he ended up having a great career.""

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/urban-meyer-disappointed-benching-dwayne-haskins

I like that Meyer did the Smith and Haskins comparison, especially because he coached them both and remembers what was said about Smith early in his career. People keep asking for examples of this and that but Smith is a perfect example of somebody who started off their career on a certain trajectory and was able to turn it around. Its not like he suddenly became a HOF qb, but he started just playing smarter. There are certain things that just about any coach will appreciate, like moving the sticks and playing within your offense. And I think that if Haskins can continue to master these things like he did in 3 of the 4 games he played this year he has a good floor. If he still takes the occasional Rex / George / Favre deep shot then he has the opportunity for a much higher ceiling. 

But I'm so against this benching and even moreso because it was done after the Baltimore game instead of the Cleveland game. But i do hope he goes to an organization that can develop QBs like Pitt because we are too unstable of a franchise for this. 

Urban made those comments on the Buckeye Scoop. Kind of like the Ohio State version of Larry Michael doing an interview for Redskins TV last few years. He’s obviously only going to say the most positive things possible in that environment.

Even then, he pretty much says he’s done with Washington and hopes he’s not done forever. I’m sure he also hopes for world peace and winning the lottery. Those hopes have better odds than Haskins ever having an Alex Smith career.  Haskins personality and attitude suck. Urban has previously said Haskins leadership sucks. He will never be Alex Smith. It’s an insult to Alex to have an entitled brat compared to him. 

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 2

Kurt Warner on developing and playing with a young QB:

"The key to everything is being able to take the pressure off that young guy. When I got thrust into that situation, when Trent went down with his injury, I never felt like I had to carry the team. I never felt like I had to do everything. I was surrounded by a great cast of character guys and a great cast of talented guys that allowed me to just come into the game and just be me. It was never, "You gotta come out and do this for us, and do that for us...""

Now compare this with our team who thrusts it's hopes on every young QB we bring in. This again speaks to my annoyance with our coach publicly putting our young QB on notice(while the whole team looked bad) and eventually scapegoating a 23 year old QB who could still literally be playing in college(this would be his senior year). No winning team does that. Like I have said repeatedly, winning teams step their game up and cover for their young QBs while they grow. We anoint our QBs a savior or bust within their first few games. Habits of a loser culture.

This goes for Trevor Lawrence or any other QB we eventually bring in. The soil is bad. Until we fix that, don't be surprised when nothing grows here. 

Edited by IrepDC
  • Like 3
21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ok Kurt Warner had like four Hall of Famers surrounding him. Not the best comparison.

The mindset and sentiment... not the roster

50 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

We anoint our QBs a savior or bust within their first few games. Habits of a loser culture.

This goes for Trevor Lawrence or any other QB we eventually bring in. The soil is bad. Until we fix that, don't be surprised when nothing grows here. 

So true. And its why I get the homer label for sticking with our young QBs whether first rounders like Ramsey, Campbell RG3 or Haskins, or the lower round guys like Gus, Trent, Banks, Cousins, Nate, etc. People always want instant gratification and are always willing to say what a person's ceiling is and are already doing things like labeling Allen as a best case scenario backup. Let it play out and see what we can do to turn these guys into legit starters.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Kurt Warner on developing and playing with a young QB:

"The key to everything is being able to take the pressure off that young guy. When I got thrust into that situation, when Trent went down with his injury, I never felt like I had to carry the team. I never felt like I had to do everything. I was surrounded by a great cast of character guys and a great cast of talented guys that allowed me to just come into the game and just be me. It was never, "You gotta come out and do this for us, and do that for us...""

Now compare this with our team who thrusts it's hopes on every young QB we bring in. This again speaks to my annoyance with our coach publicly putting our young QB on notice(while the whole team looked bad) and eventually scapegoating a 23 year old QB who could still literally be playing in college(this would be his senior year). No winning team does that. Like I have said repeatedly, winning teams step their game up and cover for their young QBs while they grow. We anoint our QBs a savior or bust within their first few games. Habits of a loser culture.

Yeah another post that completely ignores the years of maturity and work ethic issues. I don't care how young he is, how talented he is, who he thinks he is, or what people think he's owed. He's not owed ****. He didn't earn it. The Poor Haskins crowd can cry all they like--he earned this demotion because he wasn't doing what was asked, he wasn't improving, and he wasn;t willing to do the work to get better. Cut bait with ANYONE who does that--I don't care who.

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yeah another post that completely ignores the years of maturity and work ethic issues. I don't care how young he is, how talented he is, who he thinks he is, or what people think he's owed. He's not owed ****. He didn't earn it. The Poor Haskins crowd can cry all they like--he earned this demotion because he wasn't doing what was asked, he wasn't improving, and he wasn;t willing to do the work to get better. Cut bait with ANYONE who does that--I don't care who.

You mean a post that looks at the bigger issue with this team developing a QB. You want the narrative to be poor Haskins, because that's easy to dismiss and defend, but thats not it. The loser culture here is the larger issue whether you want to ignore it or not.

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

You mean a post that looks at the bigger issue with this team developing a QB. You want the narrative to be poor Haskins, because that's easy to dismiss and defend, but thats not it. The loser culture here is the larger issue whether you want to ignore it or not.

Did you mention his lack of work ethic? Or his maturity issues?

Edited by Riggo#44
Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Did you mention his lack of work ethic?

Why would I when the same post applies to literally any QB we get. I even mentioned Trevor Lawrence at the end. You want to zoom in and talk about Haskins while ignoring the bigger picture.

It's like he spilled a cup of juice, and you're yelling at him for it, but the entire room is a mess and hasn't been cleaned in decades. Ignore that though. He spilled juice!

2 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Why would I when the same post applies to literally any QB we get. I even mentioned Trevor Lawrence at the end. You want to zoom in and talk about Haskins while ignoring the bigger picture.

It's like he spilled a cup of juice, and you're yelling at him for it, but the entire room is a mess and hasn't been cleaned in decades. Ignore that though. He spilled juice!

Did you not say "this organization scapegoating Haskins?" It's a yes or no question.

Edited by Riggo#44
17 hours ago, owa said:

Look at it this way, I sincerely think he's trying but when he's in the loop people complain and when he steps back they still complain and the Washington Post complains no matter what because they don't give a crap about the team, they just want to harass Synder.  They just don't like him.  Moving away would give them (Washington Post for example) lots of time to twiddle their thumbs which they're probably more qualified to do. :)  I keep hoping we start winning again so we get better writers/reporters covering the team.

This reads like an archived post from a decade ago. Did scientists just thaw you out of a giant block of ice? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Did you not say "this organization scapegoating Haskins?" It's a yes or no question.

After our entire team played bad, was the narrative not that we were benching Haskins because it was unfair to his teammates. The definition of a scapegoat bro. You don't give a team that's playing bad a player to point the finger at. You hand them all mirrors and tell them to do their jobs better.

Just now, IrepDC said:

After our entire team played bad, was the narrative not that we were benching Haskins because it was unfair to his teammates. The definition of a scapegoat bro. You don't give a team that's playing bad a player to point the finger at. You hand them all mirrors and tell them to do their jobs better.

Work ethic. Maturity. Go.

• Like 1
Just now, IrepDC said:

You're talking in circles in order to ignore my point lol have a good day

Na-ah, you are.

Lemme know when you want address the real issues with Haskins. Other wise, bury your head in the sand and wait for your prom.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

You're talking in circles in order to ignore my point lol have a good day

Allen sucks. Haskins sucks. Haskins is not doing the things the staff expects of him, whatever that is. That is the variable difference between them. Duane needs to get his **** together. We need him to grow up.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Allen sucks. Haskins sucks. Haskins is not doing the things the staff expects of him, whatever that is. That is the variable difference between them. Duane needs to get his **** together. We need him to grow up.

Cool, that's one piece of the situation. Haskins has work to do, agreed. But you still haven't responded to my point about the bigger problem. Lol 

19 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Na-ah, you are.

Lemme know when you want address the real issues with Haskins. Other wise, bury your head in the sand and wait for your prom.

When Haskins is gone, my point about the team stands. Before Haskins was here, my point about the team stood. You want it to just be about Haskins because that's easier to digest.