Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

Just now, skinbuck said:

dude...

Mind actually explaining what it was you were, or were not, serious about, without the “dude....” bit? 

2 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

Im pretty sure OP was doing a bit, or exaggerating intentionally

Yes, which is why i asked in the first place if he’s joking, and even stated that i was pretty sure he is. So, i was correct then, yes? 

The more I think about this situation, the more I remember how clueless my hometown team is. I have been watching us mismanage this team and players' careers for nearly 30 years. My persistence in this instance is because I want us for ONCE to do things the right way, because I'm really not buying the Haskins scapegoat narrative. I watch us do this with a player every year becoming the negative energy dumpster. 

Let's keep it football. Haskins was the prospect EVERYONE knew would need time and experience with his limited college playing time. What do we do? We gave him 3 HCs, minimal help around him, and the shortest leash of the QBs in his draft class, while putting him under a microscope immediately as if he was supposed to be pro ready out the gate- literally the opposite of what any scout said his grooming process should look like. Very little accountability for the team though. We blame the rookie for not developing in and overcoming our dysfunction. 

Then I thought about this. He grew up in the area, but wasn't a Skins fan- likely because we have been a poorly run organization his entire life and he got a front row seat of the dysfunction growing up. He was already weary coming here when he was drafted and many could tell. Then the way the team gave up on him so quickly, as he watches other orgs stand behind the other QBs who are struggling from his draft class, of course he's upset. I know we expect athletes to be above emotions, but you have to be real about the situation.

I'm also not excusing his struggles, because I expected those, but I also get his perspective. This is something I never talked about on here, but when I had my brief stint of tryouts after college, I didn't even consider the hometown team(probably should have since it may have been my best shot lol). My family, also Washington fans, only wanted me to try Baltimore locally, and that's where I went. I'm a fan of this team, but I still knew this place isn't really about winning football, and that's my biggest thing as a player. So from an athletes perspective, unless you're getting paid, this place is not where you want to be. I really cannot stress this enough, because I see fans complain players only come here for a pay day, but we have to understand why.

We still expect to antagonize our players, put them in bad situations, throw them under the bus, and then act surprised when they aren't excited about coming in to work. Most of us would quit our jobs if it were run the way this team is. When you look at how many players leave this place disgruntled EVERY year, maybe we aren't being sincere about what the real problem is.

I am really hoping somehow Rivera can shift things. We really need to change this loser / self defeating culture. I dream of the day we make decisions based on football and winning games. For now I can only imagine us being run with integrity and consistency like a Pitt or Green Bay.

Whether Haskins turns out to be a good player or not, we certainly didn't give him the best chance to succeed, and we need to own up to that. We have to stop pretending like this 20 something kid came here and messed up a good thing, and have a real conversation about the 25+ years of the football team doing what the football team does.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
1 hour ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

True.

Haskins is Gen Z as he just missed the millennial cutoff having been born on May 3rd, 1997.

However, this is not an exact science. While cohorts display traits that are similar when looked at in aggregate this doesn’t mean that on the date randomly selected for the next cohort (Generation Z) that there is suddenly a magical transformation in personality traits. The differences occur gradually as the cohort ages. 

Haskins actual behavior seems very millennial regardless of his birth date.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/01/17/where-millennials-end-and-generation-z-begins/

Mahomes for example displays certain millennial traits but he's not an overgrown child. Not sure what happened with Haskins he seemed to have his come to Jesus at some point last season when the vets gave him a verbal smack upside the head. If it's just that he doesn't mesh with an old school head coach then that's that. I'll say it again NFL doesn't stand for national fair league. 

• Like 1

This generation thing is so dumb. The entire league is made up of Millennials except for 8 or so QBs and Kickers. Thomas Davis is a Millennial. It’s not a generational thing 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ron doesn’t owe Haskins anything. He gave him 4 games and doesn’t like what he saw. Only Haskins supporters have this strange belief that Haskins was supposed to be the starter all season and given the franchise qb treatment. I never once thought that was the case after watching Haskins last year.

edit: just realized they change my name. Thanks to whatever mod did that!

Edited by GOATFrerotte
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Dan must feel like an idiot seeing his son's chosen QB starting to inactive in just 5 weeks under a coach with a spine.

I'm not sure Dan is capable of feeling like an idiot. 

1 hour ago, skinbuck said:

Have you ever served in an infantry unit son? Had a man die in your arms?

You ever put your life in another mans hands, and in return, asked him to put his life in yours?

Great movie. I can never get enough references to that movie. So many great lines.

44 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

httr2020dynasty. It was too close to another user who’s a hardcore Haskins supporter

I wonder why I kept seeing conflicting views from you.  I guess, I didn't spot the difference and thought it was the same person. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Berggy9598 said:

Mahomes for example displays certain millennial traits but he's not an overgrown child. Not sure what happened with Haskins he seemed to have his come to Jesus at some point last season when the vets gave him a verbal smack upside the head. If it's just that he doesn't mesh with an old school head coach then that's that. I'll say it again NFL doesn't stand for national fair league. 

Mahommes is likable and not a fraud. You don’t necessarily have to be likable to succeed but it helps.  I don’t think it’s a generational thing . Jay Schroeder was not likable and had a couple of amazing seasons for us. Elway was  a jerk and was a HOF player same with Brady.  Jay Cutler less success but a more recent jerk. 

But if you are going to go with the jerk personality you have to be the most committed  guy in the building and know more than everyone else and not just pretend that you do. You also need to produce. Haskins wants all the glory without doing any of the grind. Being an NFL QB is simply not for him. It’s not for most people who come into the league. 

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

lol  In that video above I just now noticed what he said when Thomas Davis came over to him...

Thomas Davis: "Hey..."

Dwayne Haskins: "What you want?"

Man, when I first saw that video it irked the hell out of me. Haskins was being so dismissive and borderline disrespectful to Thomas Davis. Now with the "What you want?" it's even worse. 

in a different era Haskins might have gotten a slightly more direct response from a seasoned vet. Like a right hook.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So you were in fact not at all serious, which is what i asked in the first place..... wouldn’t it have been easier to just say “you’re correct, I’m not serious” instead of going through all that ****? 

You're probably the same guy who criticizes Shakespeare's soliloquys for being wordy.

7 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Whether Haskins turns out to be a good player or not, we certainly didn't give him the best chance to succeed, and we need to own up to that. We have to stop pretending like this 20 something kid came here and messed up a good thing, and have a real conversation about the 25+ years of the football team doing what the football team does.

Did you just start posting here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Did you just start posting here?

Ive seen every one of those points said time after time. Most of us realize this stuff. There’s a few people around here that have their heads buried in the sand... 

The franchise screwed this whole thing. I’ve been trying to get people to see that this isn’t Gruden or Rivera’s fault, but Snyder’s. Many agree. Some have apparently skipped those posts.

Haskins was put in a horrendous position. But, the key is, he didn’t help himself with the way he carried himself (at least so far). 

But this franchise was a dysfunctional mess well before he arrived. It’s not his fault he walked in to literally the worst situation he could have walked into unless that team was called “the Jets”

• Like 1
18 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Ryan Tannehill: 58% completion rate his rookie year; 60% completion rate his second year

Josh Allen: 53% completion rate his rookie year; 59% completion rate his second year

Derek Carr: 58% completion rate his rookie year; 61% completion rate his second year

And now:

Dwayne Haskins: 59% completion rate his rookie year; 61% completion rate his second year

Now compare work ethic and maturity...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Ron was on that great 85 Bears team that won the Superbowl. I think Ron knows what it takes and feels Dwayne isn't one those players. Maybe in time he could be but Ron's not going to waste time on player he doesn't believe in.

The funny thing about that 85 Bears team is that they are the epitome of what I think you can get with an average QB. 

McMahon wasn't a great QB by any means. In fact he wasn't even that mature or that much of a hard worker, but that was never part of my discussion. Its just that we can win in this league without our QB being Mahomes or Favre or Manning. I know this is a weighted pool but if you look at it, you see that most of those great QBs have at most 1 SB with the exception of Brady who took em all. But guys who are mediocre were also able to take their teams to the SB and playoffs. 

My argument is never about Dwayne's ceiling because I think scouts and coaches and definitely fans have no real idea of what this is. They (we) may think they do but they can be wrong. Its something we see everyday in life when we label somebody a hater. But I think Dwayne today is a middle of the pack QB who can win us some games and keep us competitive. Right now it'd be more 2018 Alex Smith type winning instead of 2019 Mahomes, but as I tell my wife all the time perfection is the enemy of good. 

9 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Dan must feel like an idiot seeing his son's chosen QB starting to inactive in just 5 weeks under a coach with a spine.

You're assuming he has that in him. Everything we've seen of Danny, he thinks he's a misunderstood genius.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

in a different era Haskins might have gotten a slightly more direct response from a seasoned vet. Like a right hook.

That whole conversation had me feeling not so good. But I will say this. People got on him after the Cleveland game but I really think this is a misunderstanding between him and Davis or him and the media or him and Rivera. Point being, he really thinks he's not staring guys down. Not to get too much into making him into a victim here, the Dan Orlovsky stuff on Twitter about guys not getting spacing and having 4 guys in the same region comes into play. He may think he's going from read to read to read, but because they're all in the same area or because he's not moving his head (just his eyes) enough means that its still easy to read him. 

That said, the way he went about it is not good. I don't know if it was just the frustration of a hot day or him being exhausted, or even him not knowing how he sounds and needing to make more of an effort to not seem like he's being dismissive. I know that (especially in work environments or when I'm having a discussion with my wife) I often have to take extra efforts to make sure that I don't seem angry because I'm talking fast, or that I'm not interrupting, or that I'm not too loud or too dismissive - especially when I recognize my mistake but don't want to be lectured on it. 

But at minimum its a learning experience. I wonder what Davis's relationship was like with him before this. It seems like he received info from Smith and from Peterson ok. Was it how they approached him? Their status with the team? Something else? And I wonder where Shaun Springs comes into all of this? Dude is like a big brother to Haskins. Doesn't he ever just smack him upside the head when he hears a story like this?

• Like 1