Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

Typical sensationalism.. Haskins out the league in 2 years? I'll take that bet. 

I'd take the bet but you may be right.  Blaine Gabbert is still getting an NFL paycheck which shows how desperate teams are for QBs with any experience. But you will never convince me that Dwayne Haskins will ever be a viable NFL QB and I'd be happy to suggest an avi bet if we can agree on terms.  

59 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Completely different mindsets in those fanbases and organizations. Our priority isn't developing or even getting value for Haskins. We are so petty, we are burying Haskins if we do trade him. We like to tank our guys value so other teams can take them from us for pennies. 

Well the Bears fans pretty much hate Trubisky and they wasted years trying to develop him. If anything what the Bears did with Trubisky is what I don't want to do with Haskins. 

3 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Guess i have to remind people we're paying Alex Smith $20+ million a year.

But his guaranteed money is up at the end of this season. He can be cut this coming offseason with an $8M and change dead cap and save us $14.7M against the 2021 cap number (and we are already about $60M UNDER the projected 2021 cap. 

5 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Guess i have to remind people we're paying Alex Smith $20+ million a year.

Well, yes, that's a problem no doubt, but I don't think Smith will win you games without a good defense.  

Our D stinks.

Furthermore, our offensive coordinator is not a genius like Andy Reed.

IMO, he will struggle.  

He should try coaching.  Due to his personality, he could become a damn good HC some day.  Everybody respects him. That is important.

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

But his guaranteed money is up at the end of this season. He can be cut this coming offseason with an $8M and change dead cap and save us $14.7M against the 2021 cap number (and we are already about $60M UNDER the projected 2021 cap. 

Woot, woot! Come the offseason it's the time we usually win anyways, so let's fire up Redskins O....er, I mean... The Washington Football Team That Plays In Maryland One!! 

Championship!!! 

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Classic.  We should all ignore the best objective metric out there that measures pass rush success because... you said so?

Does that really measure pass rush or just one on one defensive line. Like does it account for blitzes and stunts that generate pressure? Because Rams were coming in hot yesterday. That pocket was collapsing faster than I've seen all year. 

12 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'd take the bet but you may be right.  Blaine Gabbert is still getting an NFL paycheck which shows how desperate teams are for QBs with any experience. But you will never convince me that Dwayne Haskins will ever be a viable NFL QB and I'd be happy to suggest an avi bet if we can agree on terms.  

Cool we can do the avi bet. Sounds like you are coming back to reality from your out of the league statement. What are the terms?

1 minute ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Does that really measure pass rush or just one on one defensive line. Like does it account for blitzes and stunts that generate pressure?

Yes, it does.  Which is why the Ravens rank so high every year, even though they don't have any top tier pass rushers.  For example, EVERY member of the Ravens secondary got at least one sack on Burrow yesterday.

2 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Woot, woot! Come the offseason it's the time we usually win anyways, so let's fire up Redskins O....er, I mean... The Washington Football Team That Plays In Maryland One!! 

Championship!!! 

We’ve not been big players in free agency for quite a while though. Collins was the last big money guy we brought in (not that he’s earning the money we spent). We did offer a big deal to Cooper as well.

But with the lack of talent we have on offense in particular we pretty much have to be big players next offseason. 

9 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Well the Bears fans pretty much hate Trubisky and they wasted years trying to develop him. If anything what the Bears did with Trubisky is what I don't want to do with Haskins. 

The Bears did it the right way with Mitch. We have been terrible for so long, I don't know why it's such a scary idea to stick with a QB for 2 or 3 seasons- while actually giving them pieces to help them develop. Bears have a good team now because they built around Mitch. Now they already have much of the foundation needed to plug in a new prospect. 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Some fans clearly don’t know what they’re watching. He never faced this type of pressure because he got rid of the ball AT THE FASTEST RATE IN THE LEAGUE. He made the OL look better than they really were. 

Haskins has faced multiple teams with a higher pass rush win rate than the Rams. 

EDIT: In fact, every team Dwayne has played so far this season has a higher pass rush win rate than the Rams.  Including the 4th ranked Eagles, 7th ranked Ravens, 10th ranked Cardinals and 13th ranked Browns.

Rams rank 21st.

But without knowing the stats on this specific game, it's hard to make an assessment. I dont think Allen and Smith were standing back there holding on to the ball all game.  Regardless of rankings, none of the teams we faced were murdering the OL like that yesterday. 

Mobile QBs tend to do better than pocket QBs in that stat on average because they're extending the play.  But we won't know how they compared to Haskins because neither QB yesterday had enough attempts to qualify.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yes, it does.  Which is why the Ravens rank so high every year, even though they don't have any top tier pass rushers.  For example, EVERY member of the Ravens secondary got at least one sack on Burrow yesterday.

That doesn't necessarily answer the question. Seems from just passing over the stat it measures one on one performance of the d line, not blitzes or stunts. Hard for me to imagine the team 2nd in the league in sacks, 4th in yards allowed, and Aaron Donald, that they are 18th in the NFL on generating pressure on the quarterback. Or that the Colts are 14th. 

3 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

The Bears did it the right way with Mitch. We have been terrible for so long, I don't know why it's such a scary idea to stick with a QB for 2 or 3 seasons- while actually giving them pieces to help them develop. Bears have a good team now because they built around Mitch. Now they already have much of the foundation needed to plug in a new prospect. 

Well we are miles apart in what we want from a franchise if you think sticking with Trubisky was the right way. It only lost the entire offensive staff their jobs.

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

We’ve not been big players in free agency for quite a while though. Collins was the last big money guy we brought in (not that he’s earning the money we spent). We did offer a big deal to Cooper as well.

But with the lack of talent we have on offense in particular we pretty much have to be big players next offseason. 

Lol, I know and you're right, it's actually been refreshing how we've recently treated FA for the MOST part. 

Given the multiple holes in the roster though, I'm looking forward to the impending shopping spree. 

2 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

That doesn't necessarily answer the question. Seems from just passing over the stat it measures one on one performance of the d line, not blitzes or stunts. Hard for me to imagine the team 2nd in the league in sacks, 4th in yards allowed, and Aaron Donald, that they are 18th in the NFL on generating pressure on the quarterback. Or that the Colts are 14th. 

I did answer the question, but I'll be more explicit:  Yes, it does in fact measure win rates from blitzes and stunts.

You seem to be conflating this stat with pressure rate.  They are two different stats.  Pressure rate is much more reliant on the QB holding the ball longer than he should.  For example, our pressure rate was high on Wentz week 1 because he held the ball for over 4 seconds on most of his sacks, but our pass rush win rate (winning in 2.5 seconds or less) was low.

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I did answer the question, but I'll be more explicit:  Yes, it does in fact measure win rates from blitzes and stunts.

You seem to be conflating this stat with pressure rate.  They are two different stats.  Pressure rate is much more reliant on the QB holding the ball longer than he should.  For example, our pressure rate was high on Wentz week 1 because he held the ball for over 4 seconds on most of his sacks, but our pass rush win rate (winning in 2.5 seconds or less) was low.

I'd have to see documentation of how they calculate that stat. How do you measure one on one pass rush if they are stunting or blitzing. Regardless of qbs holding on to the ball, it still doesn't make any realistic sense to me that the Colts and Rams are 14th and 18th in the NFL in generating fast pressure on the qb. 

Especially since Alex Smith was not holding on to the ball that long at all and the pass rush was on him before he could do anything.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

How so?  The stat is the same whether the QB is mobile or not.  Perhaps you're thinking of sacks.

Because the play is extended before the pass.  If you're running around avoiding the rush keeping the play alive before throwing it, you'll get credit as having more time to throw.  A pocket QB with a bad OL doesn't have that luxury so they're gonna get it out of their hand out of necessity.  A mobile QB might buy an extra second.  But unloading it can't automatically be read as they're making the OL look good.

I guess it depends on whether you think a high number or low number is good. I probably should have said "higher" rather than "better", since taking more time to throw it isn't automatically a good thing. 

2 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I'd have to see documentation of how they calculate that stat. How do you measure one on one pass rush if they are stunting or blitzing. Regardless of qbs holding on to the ball, it still doesn't make any realistic sense to me that the Colts and Rams are 14th and 18th in the NFL in generating fast pressure on the qb. 

They still count it as a "win" even if you don't meet any resistance on the way to the QB.  They just assume you beat the nearest blocker who should have been assigned to you.

If you work better with pictures, here's a clear positive correlation between blitz rate and pass rush win rate.

Archived