Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

"Simba" has the maturity of a Pop Warner QB.

Smfh @ wasting a first round pick on this guy. I refuse to even entertain the idea that he is some victim in all of this. For his sake, I hope he gains that maturity quickly or he'll be back at Ohio State finishing his degree before too long.

In reaction to Thinking Skins' post (about 10 hours ago) where he felt Ron Rivera was dragging Haskins name through the mud...I went back and listened carefully to that Oct. 9 press conference.  I didn't get that feeling at all.  This is what I came out with from Rivera's answers to the questions the media raised on the matter of switching starting QB.

1.  Ron repeatedly mentioned that Dwayne had NFL-level talent (an NFL arm) and never said anything I felt was demeaning.  He also mentioned how Haskins had a good  competitor's mindset, and a drive to be QB-1.

2.  Rivera's plan at the beginning of the season was to have Haskins step into the starting QB role (and the leadership responsibilities that go with it) to give Haskins a chance to (a) gets the live-game reps he needed to develop deeper knowledge into the new play-schemes and how to handle things under NFL game speed conditions; and (b) to demonstrate that Dwayne had enough familiarity in the system to at least game-manage the offense with good results, but also to show decent improvement in his development from game to game.

3.  Rivera's expectations for developing Haskins was tempered by the fact that COVID deprived Dwayne of the vitally needed reps that normally came from OTAs and pre-season games, and is the main reason Haskins has been struggling during the first four games. Ron pointed out several times how Haskins had been deprived of the needed reps, to no fault of anyone, especially Dwayne's.

4.  While Rivera was committed to helping Haskins develop, he is trying to develop/evaluate many other young players on his team. To build a team with a winning mindset, some prize --like the playoffs -- has to be somewhat in reach.  That means keeping an eye out on what's happening for Washington's standings in the NFC-East.  (To subordinate everything to the development of Haskins and settling for, say, a 4-12 record, doesn't instill much of a winner's mindset in the other teammates breaking into the NFL.)I

5.  Ron was extremely mindful of keeping Washington within striking distance for the playoff spot allocated to the winner of the NFC-East.  He'd hoped to at least split the first 4 games, but saw the next 4+ games as the best opportunity to have Washington in competition for a playoff spot.  Being a 1/2 game behind Philly, Washington is still not out of it and Ron felt he owes it to the team and fan base to at least try for whatever might bring in more wins during an important part of the schedule.

6.  Coach Rivera made it clear that he'd like to try to win with more experience at the helm of this offense -- and especially experience in all the nuances of Turner's play-schemes.  (Even to just be an effective game-manager, the QB needs an instinctual knowledge of the playbook and the muscle-memory to execute quickly.).  Haskins is way below the minimum number of reps in Turner's system in practice conditions, much less under the heat of fire of NFL game-time.  Whereas Allen and Smith have greater familiarity and seem the better option to maximizing what Washington can achieve in Turner's offense with the current roster -- during this critical stretch of games.

7.  Haskins is still getting the opportunity for reps (media just didn't catch that) and depending of how things play out...Dwayne might see the field again.  (I was left with the clear impression if Dallas was 4-0, and Washington 1-3... Ron probably would have kept going with the development/evaluation of Haskins, because playoffs wouldn't have been a realistic possibility.)

That was my take of Ron's Oct. 9 presser. Nowhere did I get the sense Rivera was disrespectful of Haskins.  I didn't catch him bringing up any of the "immaturity" issues -- the closest  Rivera came to that was when he focussed on Haskins lack of opportunity for reps in Turner's system,  his lack of seasoning as the QB running his or Gruden's offenses with NFL games,  and having a shorter time at the NCAA level to prepare for the NFL game.

Actually, I thought most of Rivera's comments were made to defend the thinking that went into his decision to attempt changes that might help the team's chances -- while the media was trying to make it all about Ron not liking Haskins as a QB and how there'd be no further development of Dwayne because Allen was now installed at QB.  My guess is that the QB position, like others, depends on performance/results and where things are in the context of the season.  And it's very possible that should Washington be eliminated from playoff contention, you'd see Haskins back in the starting role along with other players Ron wants to develop/evaluate.

2 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Yea.. this was the exact quote "It's Dwayne's game going into this week and we’ll see how things unfold," 

Dude they are still making excuses for him even after quitting on his team and not showing up. It’s an illness at this point. Only cult deprogramming therapy  is a possible remedy. 

just cut this pile of garbage already and be done with it.  As i said, "simba" (haha) is a running joke, on and off the field.  At this point, his baby tantrum is now national news - no team is going to give up anything worth the hassle.  Good riddance "SIMBA"

1 minute ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Far from a definitive affirmation. Rivera left serious wiggle room with that statement.

A good aggressive reporter would have forced him to clarify.

I do agree. The whole "Going into" just means as of that moment he was the starter but we'll see how things unfold.

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

"stomach ache", really? That's the excuse we use as kids to stay home from school. When we're like 8.

Come on man.

So he’s supposed to just show up at the game even though he’s throwing up? Seriously? a stomach virus could spread to the others, i doubt rivera wants any of the other players to catch it. 

8 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

5.  Ron was extremely mindful of keeping Washington within striking distance for the playoff spot allocated to the winner of the NFC-East.

This sentence is bordering on Pittman4Two territory lol...just needed to say "NFC-Eastern division"

4 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Dude they are still making excuses for him even after quitting on his team and not showing up. It’s an illness at this point. Only cult deprogramming therapy  is a possible remedy. 

Who is?

19 minutes ago, megared said:

He's entitled to be 23 because he is 23.  Expecting him to be anything beyond 23 would be pretending. 

Now knowing he's 23, you plan around the fact that he's 23, and not allow the immature behavior of a 23 year old to affect an entire football operation.

Usually this is done by not enabling 23 year old behavior in the first place, not by acting surprised when a 23 year old acts like, a 23 year old.  

Yeah, too bad he couldn't be like Terry (who just turned 25), Johnathan Allen, or Payne.  From all accounts, consummate professionals.  

5 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

5.  Ron was extremely mindful of keeping Washington within striking distance for the playoff spot allocated to the winner of the NFC-East.  He'd hoped to at least split the first 4 games, but say the next 4+ games as the best opportunity to have Washington in competition for a playoff spot.  Being a 1/2 game behind Philly, Washington is still not out of it and Ron felt he owes it to the team and fan base to at least try for whatever might bring in more wins during an important part of the schedule.

But that's inconsistent with Ron doing things in ALL three of our losses, to not give the team the best chance to win.  The only win we had, came out of that week 1 comeback DH had a part in (and by some accounts sparked). 

To act like HE's the issue, when Ron's not managing the clock, and conducting in game 'trust tests', is disingenuous. 

When everyone was bewildered at Ron not trying to win the game, he assured us it was because we weren't ready to compete.  So why are we competing, not a few weeks later? 

How are those decisions Ron made then, and leading up to this point, nonreviewable?

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, too bad he couldn't be like Terry (who just turned 25), Johnathan Allen, or Payne.  From all accounts, consummate professionals.  

Who all...are older than him.  See the correlation?

I see some Steelers fans wanting him. They're a little sour on Rudolph and Duck. That might be a good match for them if they want to take a chance at a couple year project while Big Ben's career ends. Anything 4th or better I'd take, but I highly doubt any team is going to do that. 

1 minute ago, megared said:

But that's inconsistent with Ron doing things in ALL three of our losses, to not give the team the best chance to win.  The only win we had, came out of that week 1 comeback DH had a part in (and by some accounts sparked). 

To act like HE's the issue, when Ron's not managing the clock, and conducting in game 'trust tests', is disingenuous. 

When everyone was bewildered at Ron not trying to win the game, he assured us it was because we weren't ready to compete.  So why are we competing, not a few weeks later? 

How are those decisions Ron made then, and leading up to this point, nonreviewable?

Red, I think that Haskins was likely so toxic to the esprit de corp of the team behind the scenes that he forced Ron’s hand.

3 minutes ago, megared said:

Haskins is actually older than Payne.  Terry is also a rookie, went to the same school, and yet is a true professional.  Haskins is a bum plain and simple. Did Paxton Lynch (who got benched in his second year) wine and pout?  He was also 23 at the time. 

16 minutes ago, megared said:

That’s a silly retort. Allen got here at 22 and Payne got here at 21. Both guys at that younger age have shown eons more professionalism than Dwayne at 23...see what I did there

2 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Red, I think that Haskins was likely so toxic to the esprit de corp of the team behind the scenes that he forced Ron’s hand.

I think if it was that bad, it would've had to have been bubbling under the surface for some time.  And I doubt teammates would've given glowing reviews of his leadership, a few weeks ago.   

5 minutes ago, Hooper said:

This guy hasn’t watched a game this season and would have written the same thing about Kyle Shanahan — like so many others did.

Deadspin is absolute trash. I thought they went out of business when all their garbage writers walked out but I guess not unfortunately 

Archived