Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

11 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

While I am in the camp that believes that he should have gotten more time as a QB, Turner's press conference was a lot better than Ron's in terms of the consistency of his statements. Marrying that press conference with Cooley's statements about improper line calls and my own thoughts about my son learning bad mechanics as he learns to read, sometimes I do take a step back and say lets do this when you've got a clear head. So if Haskins wasn't improving in things like his footwork, or his reads, or going through his progressions too quickly (something that Ron has consistently spoken about after almost every game and something that clearly was a problem on the infamous 4th and 13 play), then I can understand not "rewarding" him with another start. 

Rivera was plenty classy about Haskins IMO.  He gets hanged here no matter what angle he takes.   The whole we want to win now stuff was accompanied with Rivera telling everyone how unfair its been for Haskins with a short off season, he hasn't given up on him, his has an NFL arm, etc.   That was on the nice side, nice spin.  He didn't obliterate him the way Jay did with RG3.  And, if you buy the "internal reports" what Rivera said publicly was probably not Rivera's real angle but that's him being nice publicly.

But for some they take Rivera literally that he's all about win now since that's what he said and how he can sacrifice a QB supposedly brimming with talent for a few cheap wins?  So his nicer spin where he gives Haskins an out was trashed by some.  Then when stories about supposedly the real reasons why it happened -- how can people be so cruel to the kid?   I don't think some people would be happy with Rivera on Haskins benching regardless of what his declared reason for it was. 

10 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm not trying to say Haskins is the Holy Grail of QBs or even that he's off to a good start, or even that he deserves more time (that ship has sailed). Wednesday (onward) frustrated me because Ron dragged his name through the mud to the point where I had to take a break because I felt like somebody was attacking my younger brother who can't defend himself. Ron is in his mid 50s and Dwayne is 23. The Lombardi story is different because while I hate to hear it and hope that it is some confusion, at the end of the day its between Lombardi and Haskins and Haskins did him wrong and he'll have to settle up one day. But these leaks and everything coming out is just dirty. Lets say that Haskins is the worse QB in the history of the league. What benefit does it give to say the locker room hates him? What benefit does it give to say he's dyslexic (last year)? What benefit does it give to say he doesn't/can't watch film (last year)? What benefit does it give to say he doesn't practice hard enough? Do we just want to turn fans against players? 

I've said too much and I'm too into this situation. I pray that he does recover from this not because of anything to do with Washington Football, but because I like to see people succeed and overcome things - whether that's Kyle Allen, Alex Smith or Dwayne Haskins. 

Great post, man.  Here's the thing--there's a VERY specific reason I've been rejecting some of the conjecture, to a certain degree.  If this was how the lockerroom felt and he's been this grand diva since he got named the starter...who listens to his half time speech versus the Eagles? 

You know, the one where it was attributed as a rallying cry to the only W we have this season?  When there was no voice in the lockerroom, because Ron was getting administered IVs. 

I think the problem's deeper than DH...it's a lack of lockerroom leadership.  If you had voices in the lockerroom, you wouldn't be relying on his.  

When team president Jason Wright first heard about Haskins' speech, he immediately thought of one instance during training camp where Rivera challenged his squad to step up.

"I remembered a moment during training camp when the offense had a particularly poor Saturday practice, resulting in coach Rivera giving the team, ahem… a talking to. But more than this, coach let the team know that he expected them to provide the visible and vocal leadership when it is was most needed," Wright wrote in his weekly president's brief on the team's website.

"And the next time there was a need, down 17-7 against a division rival, a leader rose to that expectation," Wright said. "No doubt Dwayne had all the intrinsic qualities to inspire men in that moment, but I have to think the expectations set out by coach helped the captain deliver what was needed in the moment."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/dwayne-haskins-halftime-speech-attributed-moment-training-camp

Three weeks later, I should write this guy off?  Conclude there's no goodness/potential in him?  Be happy the team couldn't find the best way to utilize and/or develop him?  

21 hours ago, redskins59 said:

I think everybody expects him to be out of the league in a couple of years.  His career has been destroyed.

His career has been destroyed. LOL    Again people want to blame everyone but the person who is responsible for this situation and that would be the lazy, entitled diva QB who thinks he's the next Aaron Rodgers yet behaves like Jamarcus Russell.  So yeah let's blame others for that.  

Washington coach Ron Rivera spoke last week about quarterback Dwayne Haskins having a future in the organization despite being benched just four games into this coaching regime, but few executives around the NFL are buying it. The situation between the quarterback, who was drafted 15th overall just 16 months ago, and Rivera's staff is already fairly toxic, and multiple sources within the organization believe a trade by the end of the month is the most likely outcome.

....Several sources close to Haskins have advised him that a trade would be far and away the best outcome possible, ideally to a solid franchise with an experienced veteran QB the 23-year-old could learn from. Haskins was not drafted by this regime, which was not high on him coming out of college. He is not a fit in their system, and his personality has rubbed them the wrong way since early on. Sources say with almost no practice time now and likely to be a healthy scratch many weeks, it's difficult for Haskins to envision a future for himself in Washington, where his development has never felt like a priority dating back to last season, when soon-to-be-fired coach Jay Gruden threw him into regular season games before many believed he was ready. 

Numerous sources who have been in contact with Washington staff members told me that there was a strong perception that Haskins was not a good fit early on, and that he was only a starter because he was a favorite of owner Daniel Snyder, whose children went to school with Haskins.

"What they'll tell you in that building is that he is a project who was drafted by the owner and his son," said one league source who has talked to numerous Washington staff members. "That's the bottom line there. Allen is their guy. They think he fits their system. They didn't really want anything to do with Haskins from the beginning."

The Cardinals traded quarterback Josh Rosen for a second-round pick in 2019 just one year after selecting him 10th overall, and numerous Washington team sources believe a change of scenery is in order here as well, although you won't hear that sentiment expressed publicly. Getting solid trade compensation will be difficult given how the team has handled this situation, but keeping him around past the trade deadline and allowing this to fester is far from ideal. 

If this was posted my apologies. But this, and his poor work habits stated from the same article and bizarre decision making tells the tale. He's no starter in the NFL. He just isn't.  Danny stay out of the war room on draft day. Unless it's about some money issue then get back out.

According to a report by Doug Gottlieb in February, Haskins' understanding of the then-Redskins' offense was allegedly so poor that the team's old coaching staff thought he had dyslexia (Which Haskins does not). There were also reports that Washington's old coaching staff preferred Duke quarterback Daniel Jones in the NFL Draft, but their preferences were overruled by team owner Dan Snyder.

https://247sports.com/Article/Dwayne-Haskins-benched-reason-bad-work-habits-study-practice-Ron-Rivera-Washington-Football-Team-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-152624133/

3 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

"Don't be so hard on the sources telling it like it is". Got that from another source.

Or not of course at this point anything is believable soooooo, there’s also people throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks and gets them clicks.

1 minute ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

I’m willing to bet that Haskins doesn’t get traded and he starts again before the season is over. I don’t believe all these reports of him possibly being traded. Just **** that comes out when things are going poorly.

Probably right about that.

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

...Several sources close to Haskins have advised him that a trade would be far and away the best outcome possible, ideally to a solid franchise with an experienced veteran QB the 23-year-old could learn from. 

Man, why didn't we pair him with one of the most dedicated, hardest working veterans we could find? One that, say, worked his ass off to come back from a debilitating injury. Or maybe one that was widely praised for helping one of the top QBs in the game to prepare. That's just poor roster building...

Another pointless article that fails to point out one thing: it doesn't help if he is unwilling to listen or match that work ethic.

As I read more tales of Haskins woe an inescapable conclusion comes to mind:

I tend to believe and enjoy stories which confirm my viewpoint and am much more likely to distrust and be critical of articles that don’t. 

Not offered as wisdom— just evidence of the elusiveness of objectivity amidst the inescapable presence of human frailty.

36 minutes ago, megared said:

Great post, man.  Here's the thing--there's a VERY specific reason I've been rejecting some of the conjecture, to a certain degree.  If this was how the lockerroom felt and he's been this grand diva since he got named the starter...who listens to his half time speech versus the Eagles? 

You know, the one where it was attributed as a rallying cry to the only W we have this season?  When there was no voice in the lockerroom, because Ron was getting administered IVs. 

I think the problem's deeper than DH...it's a lack of lockerroom leadership.  If you had voices in the lockerroom, you wouldn't be relying on his.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/dwayne-haskins-halftime-speech-attributed-moment-training-camp

Three weeks later, I should write this guy off?  Conclude there's no goodness/potential in him?  Be happy the team couldn't find the best way to utilize and/or develop him?  

The halftime speech was nice, I think we all viewed that as a sign that he had matured and was ready to step up and be a leader.

But that's just one example of goodness surrounded by many other anecdotes that don't paint that picture.  It's apparent that he's an immature guy and that he has issues that extend past not being able to hit a running back in the flat that's about 5 yards away.

I know everyone here hates Grant Paulsen, but the stat bragging thing is obnoxious, and the hate for Grant Paulsen doesn't invalidate this, if true.  Grant is a lot of things, I don't think he's a guy that'd just make stuff up.  I've been around Grant, he's haughty but he's also diligent.

https://sports.yahoo.com/dwayne-haskins-reported-stat-bragging-222145241.html

Unfollowing the team on twitter was dumb.  It's an ultimately an insignificant move, the tap of a finger on a iPhone screen but it should tell you eeeeeeeverything about this guy and what his mentality is towards the team, because if he's going to do something as insignificant as to unfollow the team to passively aggressive broadcast to everyone what he's thinking...what does he REALLY think?  

It's easy to give a halftime speech after the first half of the first game of the year when people are still relatively feeling good and upbeat.  It's different to be 1-3 and be benched and be a whiny **** about everything.  Similar to RG3, all the little things start to add up, the comments, the social media games, the petulance and pouts when things are down.  

I agree in theory that he should be given more time but when you add up these little incidents, it's obvious why he's not liked and not looked at as a guy who's a leader.  So while I'll agree he didn't get enough time, it's easy to see why.

1 minute ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I tend to believe and enjoy stories which confirm my viewpoint and am much more likely to distrust and be critical of articles that don’t. 

That's human nature really (its even worse in religious or political realms). I tend to consider the source. Im more likely to dismiss information from someone I dislike than someone I respect. 

JLC for example...

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Man, why didn't we pair him with one of the most dedicated, hardest working veterans we could find? One that, say, worked his ass off to come back from a debilitating injury. Or maybe one that was widely praised for helping one of the top QBs in the game to prepare. That's just poor roster building...

Another pointless article that fails to point out one thing: it doesn't help if he is unwilling to listen or match that work ethic.

I commented on this last year when those stories first crept up.  I've worked with some people in my businesses for almost 20 years.  And I can't think of one person in the mix whose work habits changed that much.  Some work incredibly hard, some are medium, some just don't have it in them.  I've seen temporary changes in their work ethic but it typically doesn't hold.  

Some are treating Rivera as some misguided borderllne loon on this decision.  But that's not been his rep.   He's all about integrity and is a smart guy.

Going back to my analogy I used earlier in the week when you break up with someone and try to soft peddle it by saying its not you its me.   Don't take that excuse that literally.  Cooley explained this well. 

We got some people who basically took that soft peddle literally -- if its not you, its me, the break up makes no sense in the world, its short sighted, etc.  Then when some of the real reasons for the breakup comes out -- then its how can you be so cruel, is it even true?, how can you even leak this stuff?.  😀   

Like I said with some people on the issue Rivera can't win.  I like Haskins as a person. I hope his next endeavor works out.  I agree with @KDawg's sentiment about not rooting against anyone when they leave.  I can't think of a WFT player I rooted against when they left.  And I won't with Haskins when I think he inevitably leaves.   Having said that I am not losing sleep on him possibly being the first young Qb we dump who actually kills it elsewhere in Dan's era.  I truly don't think he's a franchise QB.  I can see him being a game manager-Keenum type at best but nothing special.     My fear is that's how other NFL teams see him too, and we get a ham sandwhich for him.  Too bad Louis Reddick can't seem to get a GM job -- that would have been our best bet by a mile to unload Haskins if he did. 

While I expect no one in a current association with Haskins to attach their name to anything negative, if we are getting reports about last year, likely from someone who is no longer with the squad, and they are not putting their name on anything, I'm inclined not to buy it. We see player/player and coach/player take shots at each other all the time once divorced.

Nobodies gonna risk their neck about reports from this year tho, so that much is understandable.

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's human nature really (its even worse in religious or political realms). I tend to consider the source. Im more likely to dismiss information from someone I dislike than someone I respect. 

JLC for example...

Who knows about the trade stuff.  But JLC broke two key stories ironically about this team.  From what i recall ironically he was the dude that got the Dan loves Haskins narrative first before that draft.  And he broke the Trent stuff but he did get wrong that we'd trade him before that season.

So on that note, I trust his notion that Haskins and Rivera and his staff don't have a lovefest cooking but not sure I trust the trade part.  It's hard to predict a trade because two have to tango.  If i am a team I'd wait the WFT out and to that end why bother during the season considering Haskins arguably isn't going to help any team win now?

15 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The halftime speech was nice, I think we all viewed that as a sign that he had matured and was ready to step up and be a leader.

Not at all.  Thought it was a nice story, but questioned why Ron didn't have someone ready to step up in his absence.  They empowered the guy in the wrong way.  He's still 23.  And not good enough at his job to be a consistent voice.

15 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Unfollowing the team on twitter was dumb.  It's an ultimately an insignificant move, the tap of a finger on a iPhone screen but it should tell you eeeeeeeverything about this guy and what his mentality is towards the team, because if he's going to do something as insignificant as to unfollow the team to passively aggressive broadcast to everyone what he's thinking...what does he REALLY think?  

Hurt people do silly stuff, especially when they're immature.  But it doesn't sum him up, and simplifying it to that degree ignores a lot of other stuff, that isn't easy to resolve.  

Rivera sees how Haskins takes his responsibility seriously any time something goes awry during a drill in practice. Haskins tries to address what went wrong whenever there’s a missed pass, whether it means owning up to a bad throw or correcting a receiver’s route-running.

“You see him pulling guys aside and doing those things, and that’s part of it, I think, in terms of his growth,” Rivera said. “I think it’s important that he’s willing to show the guys that he’s going to take responsibility, he’s going to try and get things corrected, he’s going to try and make things work.”

Rivera and offensive coordinator Scott Turner praised Haskins’ confidence, mobility and decision-making against the Eagles, while acknowledging he didn’t make every throw he could have.

Haskins finished 17 of 31 for 178 yards and one touchdown pass, a 6-yarder to tight end Logan Thomas just before halftime. He led four scoring drives in the second half while the defense tormented Carson Wentz and held Philadelphia scoreless.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nfl/washingtons-haskins-shows-signs-of-growth-as-a-leader/2020/09/18/bdd5e1a0-f9ef-11ea-85f7-5941188a98cd_story.html

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some are treating Rivera as some misguided borderllne loon on this decision.  But that's not been his rep.   He's all about integrity and is a smart guy.

I thought so too...that's why this confounds me.  I can't deconstruct what occurred to see how this process embodies either of those things.  

He could've avoided it, or fixed it.  "Ron's team", "In Ron We Trust", no?

18 minutes ago, megared said:

I thought so too...that's why this confounds me.  I can't deconstruct what occurred to see how this process embodies either of those things.  

He could've avoided it, or fixed it.  "Ron's team", "In Ron We Trust", no?

To me its simple.  

If you think Haskins is very unlikely to be a franchise QB and the kicker is you don't think he has the intangibles to make it happen.  It's not loony at all not even a whit.  Why waste more time? 

But even if I loved Haskins and thought he was a stud, I trust a dude who was HC of the year for two years running and made a SB and is liked around the league and known for his integrity. -- I trust he knows what he's doing on him or any player.

One of the people here who was upset about this just recently said he trusts Rivera to make the right call.  But then when this happened that seems to have gone away.  If you go back and read this thread from the start, there is a strong correlation between people who really loved the pick then and who also hate this move now.  So i don't think its a wild coincidence. 

My point is I think with some their feelings about Haskins is effecting their feelings about Rivera.  And my response to that is for me there is no player above the team.  I posted and posted and posted about loving Guice before the draft and defended his character.  Yet Rivera cut him. I trusted he knows miles more about Guice the dude then I did.   I moved on.  I have a huge signed picture of Peterson on my wall, didn't love that move, a whined a little about it but quickly moved on.  He's the HC, its more important IMO that what we feel about a player. 

This morning, CBS Sports Jason La Canfora has reported that there is a, "strong expectation Dwayne Haskins traded before deadline..."

This comes as a surprise to some as there was talk this offseason by the coaching staff that they anticipated to go with Haskins the entire season to see if he could be their franchise quarterback.

I can confirm, per a source earlier this week, that Haskins agent has stated that, "they [Washington Football Team] are ready to move on and will likely trade him in the offseason."

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/breaking-source-confirms-jason-la-canfora-report-expectation-is-haskins-to-be-traded

Archived