Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

15 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

If Rivera doesn't keep this energy across the board, watch how fast he loses the locker room. Remember I said that.

This is generally what he’s known for being consistent with all players and his elite strength (IMO) as a coach is developing a strong culture built on strong relationships with players. 

I will say though, he’s been a bit more emotional and defensive than I thought a guy with his experience and pedigree would be. It has me slightly concerned about his ability to manage the ultimate power he now has. Difficult for any man, but hopeful he will grow into the role.

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

His word was he would give him a chance. He did. I’m the one reaching??? Dude this horse is dead and you keep beating it. Haskins is done here and probably in the NFL. It’s over. Done. Fin. 

You are in the minority believing that was a legitimate chance. There are many people in the football world who see this as same old Washington. Also, stop replying to me if I'm beating a dead horse lol I am going to share my thoughts as I please though. You are the one focused on Haskins when my thing is about this being loser culture and a bad football move. Haskins or any young QB qoll fail here and thats my point(the dead horse).

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Guess I need to be the anti-SIP.

LOL.  I don't see why it matters really what anyone thinks.   Anyone on this thread.  Name that columnist.  Name that talking head.

It's Ron Rivera.  Do we trust him to make the right call on this or not?

I said before the benching, I'd back Rivera in any decision he made here, bench him, keep Haskins, whatever.  You hire a HC to make those calls.   You don't think Kyle Smith's opinion on this matters but I do because he's the top personnel guy.  Either we trust these guys or we don't.

My thoughts on Haskins is I don't think Rivera's call is some outragerous out of left field call.   But even if I did, I'd take a ride on the trip and see where it goes.   I disagreed with his release of Peterson for example but also said look lets say how it works out.  

Finlay said on air today, Rivera doesn't care what others think of his decisions pro-con. That's good.  He's the HC, its his team, his vision.   If we are in 2022 and stinking then I'll start questioning him. 

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

This is generally what he’s known for being consistent with all players and his elite strength (IMO) as a coach is developing a strong culture built on strong relationships with players. 

I will say though, he’s been a bit more emotional and defensive than I thought a guy with his experience and pedigree would be. It has me slightly concerned about his ability to manage the ultimate power he now has. Difficult for any man, but hopeful he will grow into the roll. 

Right. He hasn't been acting like himself. Understandable but still concerning since he's our HC. Like Riverboat Ron doesn't even believe in burning timeouts at the end of the game? He's been weird.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's Ron Rivera.  Do we trust him to make the right call on this or not?

giphy.gif

LOL.  I don't see why it matters really what anyone thinks.   Anyone on this thread.  Name that columnist.  Name that talking head.

I was saying that tongue-in-cheek by the way.

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That said, I don't see this situation as similar to what transpired with prior regimes.  In this situation, the head coach made what should be a head coach's decision.  A decision based on the play we've all seen and the day-to-day that he sees and we aren't privy to.  

Rivera has been here less than a year.  He's coached 4 games.  Some are bemoaning poor Haskins only got 4 games.  The same principal though applies to Rivera.  Rivera has coached 4 games.  And Rivera ia a bigger deal than any player we have.  He's the General not the soldier.  I just can't seeing losing it about Rivera this fast.  It's his team.  It's his call.  He can bench and start whomever the heck he pleases.  If Haskins deserves a longer sample size that goes tenfold for the dude who was just hired to run this team and change a losing culture. 

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

giphy.gif

I was saying that tongue-in-cheek by the way.

OK, cool.  😀

But yeah if you don't trust Rivera then OK.  I am riding with the dude, at a minimum i am giving him more than 4 games.  When you hire a HC IMO you got to give him more than just 4 games.    Let the dude's vision play out, regardless if you love his take on favorite players.  Rivera got rid of two of my favorite players already.  Love Guice.  Love Peterson.  But Rivera IMO deserves a chance to play out his own script.  My emotions about players IMO should be a distant second.

9 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

You are in the minority believing that was a legitimate chance. There are many people in the football world who see this as same old Washington. Also, stop replying to me if I'm beating a dead horse lol I am going to share my thoughts as I please though. You are the one focused on Haskins when my thing is about this being loser culture and a bad football move. Haskins or any young QB qoll fail here and thats my point(the dead horse).

Name some qbs in the past 30 years of Washington history that we gave up on too soon that should have been given the franchise qb treatment.

10 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I just don't understand the disconnect here. It still is an "evaluation year". He's evaluating whether Haskins or Allen can be the placeholder qb while he finds his permanent qb. Nothing has changed for the process with Allen at qb. There is absolutely no reason to believe that Ron came in to this believing or needing Haskins to be the franchise qb. That's just you guys assuming that.

No he clearly stated that because the division is up for grabs he's reversing course and trying to win it.  That's a very different direction from letting the O-line deprecate further, throwing a fringe special teamer out at SS, and cutting a vet RB to give young guys a look. 

And really it only makes sense if you think Dallas is going to play this way for 16 games.  

Let's just say we do win the division, then what?  We still have to address a bunch of positions to be competitive in our conference.  

OK, cool.  😀

But yeah if you don't trust Rivera then OK.  I am riding with the dude, at a minimum i am giving him more than 4 games.  When you hire a HC IMO you got to give him more than just 4 games.    Let the dude's vision play out, regardless if you love his take on favorite players.  Rivera got rid of two of my favorite players already.  Love Guice.  Love Peterson.  But Rivera IMO deserves a chance to play out his own script.  My emotions about players IMO should be a distant second.

Rivera started his head coaching career 1-3 in Carolina.  Maybe he should have been benched too. 🤔

But on a serious note, I would be 100% in Rivera's corner if I thought this decision was made with the long-term success of the franchise as his top priority.  That's all I really care about.  Jeremiah and others see things from a GM perspective.  A lot of fans, players and coaches don't, which is fine, but it's just not how I view things.

Just now, ZarG3 said:

Kirk Cousins. But we had a bone head in our front office that couldn't get a deal done.

Yeah, I'm over it but the franchise really screwed up the first time around when they could have locked up Kirk for 5+ years on a really cheap contract.

It would have been a mistake to give him the huge contract later on, but there was a window where they could have been set at that position with a quality starter and spent the cap money elsewhere on fleshing out a very competitive roster.

4 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

Kirk Cousins. But we had a bone head in our front office that couldn't get a deal done.

I don't know, it feels like we gave Kirk plenty of rope and tried to build around him. Doesn't mean we succeeded, but we tried. And seeing how he is in Minnesota. Seems like he reached his ceiling with us. But he was good enough I wouldn't have cared if we gave him a long term deal just because of how bad our success with qbs in the past was. But seeing Kirk and watching Haskins... I'm more than fine with cutting this cord early. 

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Most of the 'woe is Haskins, Skins are trash' articles I've seen posted here just so happen to be guys that I can't stand, even if they are right some of the time in regards to Ashburn being dysfunction junction.

Has Sally Jenkins chipped in with a copy paste contribution yet?

Archived