Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

21 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

What we just did is getting us the opposite of respect in the football world, but okay. Same old Washington, like I said. 

My expectations after this are that we continue to chase mediocrity, because we can't be patient or loyal enough to build a winning team. We'll see if the team proves me wrong, but I doubt it.

Since when has everything been dependent on the development of Haskins. I sure as heck don't think Ron was ever under the impression that he had to develop Haskins or he was a failure. And patience with building a winning culture and program was not dependent on Haskins either. That's just something people that developed an emotional attachment to Haskins believes. Those of us that didn't aren't phased by this at all. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

For fun I just went and looked up scouting reports... No cheating...

But let's guess who is who...

These are all from the Draft Network, by the way.

Player A

Player B

Did I miss the big reveal on this ?

1 hour ago, megared said:

You adopting the narrative and parroting on here is no better.  It's steeped in racial bias.  If you want to perpetuate that kinda thing...more power to you.  I'm just asking, why does DH being a 23 year old bother you so much?  He's doing fairly normal 23 year old **** and exhibiting behavior you'd expect, from a 23 year old.  23 year olds in the NFL tend to be entitled, selfish and immature.  Why is that a bigger story than the guy not passing mustard?    

You're judging him by a criteria you can't measure other than by conjecture.  That's not objective, nor empirical. 

I'm asking if you care whether a guy's on social media, or self-confident if he appeals to you.  Because it seems pretty apparent the way DH breathes triggers you in some way.  

There is no question that there has been and is a racial bias around the 'black QB' in the NFL and fans of the NFL. Some of that is couched in the language of 'work ethic' "attitude' and 'intelligence'.

I will point out those claims have also been attached to some notable white QBs as well - Jeff George, Ryan Leaf etc - so its not JUST a racial stereotype.  Conversely you don't see many claims that Russell Wilson (say) lacks intelligence or does not work hard.

There is zero doubt that work ethic and willingness to REALLY work at your game is a critical factor in a QBs chances of succeeding in the NFL.  Every QB is measured by the 'work ethic and attitude measure' - they don't have to be choir boys or have no life outside football, but they have to put the work in. And thats more than doing workout videos. Thats not conjecture, thats fact. It's almost impossible to succeed if you don't. So if there is evidence of lack of said work ethic its perfectly reasonable to call that out whatever the color of the QB's skin.

And there is evidence of issues with Haskins in that regards. We are not in the meeting rooms or locker room so its very very hard for us to know exactly whats going on or gone on - but there is so much smoke its hard to claim there is not at least some fire.

Right the above was general comment as a poster. This next bit is me as a MOD.

Accusing someone of racism without basis on here is NOT OK. I see nothing that @ConnSKINS26has posted which comes even close to being racist or even suggests at being racist.  If you go there again without justification to any poster you will get a ban.

DO NOT respond to this warning - and I want to be very clear its a warning - in this thread. If you do you will get a ban. Anything you want to discuss about this PM me and only me.

17 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Allen isn’t getting ditched after one game. Rivera is just keeping these guys on their toes.

Telling your QBs its 'game to game' is not the way I would manage the position. But it probably speaks to the reality the long term QB of this team is not on the roster right now.

21 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Then they should have signed Cam this offseason.  Especially since Rivera knew there was a chance he'd blow up his long-term strategy anyway to chase short term division-winning "glory".

Don't get why its so hard to believe that since Dan drafted Haskins he at least wanted Rivera to give it some go.  Standig wrote about it last night in an article I posted.  If you don't want to believe that.  That's cool.  But we are all guessing.  Signing Cam would mean Haskins is out from the jump.

So you're giving up on a raw, long-term project who could still wind up proving you wrong in the latter portion of the season for a more seasoned and polished guy you don't even believe in long-term.  Brilliant strategy by them.

I doubt they think they will be proven wrong.  And who the heck knows maybe they are trying to motivate Haskins.  You got me.  We are just speculating its over though I'll grant it likely is.  My point is we don't know the whole story.  We don't know the whole logic.  We can just guess.  So I am not going to condemn Rivera on speculation.  Granted if I was a big Haskins guy I'd probably be bothered by it some but I'd still trust it.  Using my Guice example.  I don't buy that Rivera has all of a sudden become dense.   He's a good coach.

It does not need to be based on that premise.  It could easily be based on the premise that no one knows what Haskins will be yet, but it makes a lot more sense to use your evaluation season on a former 1st round pick who was very raw coming out 

No one knows about any player but that shouldn't paralyze the decision making.  You make an educated guess.  The complete wildcard theory comes off as an optimistic take.  The idea that you got in your building a potential franchise QB, and its 50-50, etc -- I'd be surprised if that's the mindset there based on what's gone down.

I was just listening to Russell who said asking around people he knows in the NFL, people he talked to see Haskins at best as a streaky QB, up and down, nothing special.  And nope that's not because Russell didn't like the dude and was just hearing what he wanted to hear.  Russell was one of the guys who banged the drum for Haskins before the draft, said he was the best QB in the draft at the time.  But he's OK with being potentially wrong about it. 

Haskins has his critcs.  Not everyone sees him like Louis Reddick.   The guys in the building might not think much of Haskins' ceiling.  Rivera's comments about if Haskins wants to be a QB in this league doesn't scream that he sees a high ceiling for the dude.  So if you think the payoff isn't high to play out the Haskins card, then why bother?  

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Telling your QBs its 'game to game' is not the way I would manage the position. But it probably speaks to the reality the long term QB of this team is not on the roster right now.

Probably.  Also Julie Donaldson's tweet yesterday suggested this might be to set up Alex.  I wonder why they wouldn't just start Alex then though?  Needs practice reps?

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I personally don’t believe that narrative from Rivera. He, and Turner, know more than enough about Allen. I mean, hell, if we end up with Smith under centre before the bye I will start to question what Rivera is playing at.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Probably.  Also Julie Donaldson's tweet yesterday suggested this might be to set up Alex.  I wonder why they wouldn't just start Alex then though?  Needs practice reps?

If Smith is not ready to play now I don't know what a couple more weeks does. Putting Smith out there would worry the hell out of me just out of concern for the person not even thinking about him as a player.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I personally don’t believe that narrative from Rivera. He, and Turner, know more than enough about Allen. I mean, hell, if we end up with Smith under centre before the bye I will start to question what Rivera is playing at.

Then why say it - what does it achieve?

6 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I have a feeling theres gonna be no qb controversy after sunday. Allens got this

It will be cool if you are right, my guess is Alex is starting after the bye week.   I listened this morning to a dude who covered Allen in Carolina, I will just say it sounded brutal. 

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Ha! We live for QB controversies. Maybe there won’t be one after Sunday but one is coming. Winter is coming! It always is...

I can dream but you're probably right. Even if we go 10-6 and make the playoffs, if we don't win the super bowl there will be those claiming "what's the point now we can't draft our franchise qb". So Allen is pretty much in a lose lose situation. I retract my statement. There will be controversy, ha. 

17 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Looks like Ron took a page from the Ol’ Ball coach school of starting quarterbacks. I wonder if Allen is closer to Shane Matthews or Danny Wuerffel or somewhere in between? 

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

Looks like Ron took a page from the Ol’ Ball coach school of starting quarterbacks. I wonder if Allen is closer to Shane Matthews or Danny Wuerffel or somewhere in between? 

Did you have to bring those names up. Hey - look on the bright side at least we have hot reads now and more than 2 protection calls!

15 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I have a feeling theres gonna be no qb controversy after sunday. Allens got this

As long as he doesn't throw 16 ints in 8 games like he did last year its possible we could do some things.

He was sloppy, also 7 fumbles and that's with starting the year off with no ints in his first 4 games.

But Ron knows this, he said in his presser that Kyle "wasn't great" last year and the tonality he used when saying it made it clear he doesn't believe Kyle is some sort of franchise savior.

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Did you have to bring those names up. Hey - look on the bright side at least we have hot reads now and more than 2 protection calls!

Back in those days I was still drinking the kool-aid. I absolutely loved the Spurrier hire at first. Here’s a clip of me cheering on MNF when we were down big while almost no other fan cares. It’s also the Spurrier duck lips game. 😂 

Archived