Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

53 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

All these speculations and drama.  

All we heard was how hard Haskins was working.  Now he doesn't watch films?  

I don't believe any of that.

Stuff like this always comes out about the players when the staff makes a contentious decision to bench, cut, or trade them.  Passive aggressive attempts to smear them is the Washington Football Team way.  Our culture is poison.

1 minute ago, megared said:

They always give it to the starting QB.  It means nothing lol.    

Okay, he was still given the starting nod.  He went from starter to watching the practice squad guy take snaps yesterday.  That's not taking a step back, that's a  fall all the way down the staircase.  That doesn't happen for no reason.  That doesn't happen merely because he hasn't been so hot on Sundays.  I also don't expect Ron to let all of us know the truth for why that is for both Dwayne and the teams sake.

5 minutes ago, megared said:

I think it's important to be mindful of the narrative ya'll are repeating, hook, line, sink.  It's primarily reserved for guys of a certain hue implying a lack of intelligence, cooperation, and coachability.    DH doesn't need that, if you believe he played himself off the field.

But if it helps you sleep at night to justify benching a dude nobody has a read on, in a season that was supposed to be about assessing his talent level, that's you.  I reject the deficiencies as things Ron tolerated.  If he did, why can't you?   

Man... that's on you. Leaving open receivers, zero improvement in his mechanics, making his reads so slowly at times that the receivers lose whatever window you have at the NFL level... that's on him. Ron tolerated that stuff long enough and saw no improvement. If he saw Haskins actually making an attempt to improve in those areas, that would have given Haskins more time and tolerance.

Guys with a lighter hue can be just as clue-free, you know. Witness Jeff George. He got called out on it too. Haskins is so thin-skinned, he may as well be wax paper.

22 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Jason LaCanfora was just on ranting about this decision, saying they needed to stick with Haskins--like he has a personal stake in Dwayne Haskins. He's literally screaming about it. At no point does he recognize that Haskins is the worst QB in the league.

I have never been more in favor of this move. 

Dude's a clown.  He was the same one advocating extending JC saying he's in the same tier as Aaron Rodgers (when Rodgers got extended).  He's been super pro Haskins.  Never admits his glaring inaccuracy.   Like, his latest article, he said they should have tailored the offense to what Haskins did at Ohio State.  Mark Bullock just posted a detailed article explaining that's EXACTLY what Scott Turner did.  At some point, Haskins deserves major blame.  Why cannot he not hit swing passes?  Why is so inaccurate outside the hashes?  Why does he never scramble right?

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

22 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I believe we would have won against Cleveland with Alex Smith.  I also believe this team would not have come back from a 17 point deficit with Alex Smith under center against the Eagles.  

This is probably true.  Alex Smith does not throw interceptions.  Now, except for the Cleveland game, Haskins did not either.

The thing with Alex Smith is, without a good defense, he is not going to win you games.  Alex Smith was horrible in San Francisco for a long time until their D became good. 

In Kansas though, the head coach is a genius when it comes to offense.  He made Michael Vick elite for a year or two. He never played like that in Atlanta.  IMO, McNabb would be a bust anywhere else. So Alex Smith looked okay there, never elite. But they were looking to replace him.

Haskins, if not for the Cleveland game, is a game manager, just like Alex Smith.

So playing Alex Smith does what?  He had a big injury. He may struggle even more.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Stuff like this always comes out about the players when the staff makes a contentious decision to bench, cut, or trade them.  Passive aggressive attempts to smear them is the Washington Football Team way.  Our culture is poison.

I remember this happening to Chris Cooley too when he got cut.  

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Okay, he was still given the starting nod.  He went from starter to watching the practice squad guy take snaps yesterday.  That's not taking a step back, that's a  fall all the way down the staircase.  That doesn't happen for no reason.  That doesn't happen merely because he hasn't been so hot on Sundays.  I also don't expect Ron to let all of us know the truth for why that is for both Dwayne and the teams sake.

I agree.  I thought the most revealing quote from Ron during his presser yesterday was his statement that there are other guys on the team and he sees them on the sideline, etc.  To me, it sounds like a massive part of this decision was Ron's belief that Haskins had lost the team--that can happen for a number of reasons: lack of effort, attitude, maturity, etc.  My guess with Haskins is that it was a combo of all of it.  Ron and the staff really threw him into the fire to see if he could rise to the challenge, and it obviously didn't work.  I still think Haskins is salvageable.  But that will depend entirely on his attitude and commitment to his craft.  It's a tough lesson for a young guy, but now we will see if he's just a talk the talk guy or if he is really willing to put in the work.    

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Apples to oranges.  Entirely different regime and circumstances.  

Something I think being missed in all this is just how huge it is.  The guy went from both captain and starting QB to sweatpants in 4 weeks.  That's not a decision that is made lightly.  I guess I just don't understand what folks think Ron's motive in all this is.  Do you really think if Dwayne was working as hard as expected, coming to work everyday with a great attitude, that it wouldn't both show up on gameday and in the meeting rooms in Ashburn?  If that was happening, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  

You can't change all of the things he needed fixing in a few months of restricted work, while you're installing an offense, and bringing other guys along.  Thinking he was going to magically make that jump this early, or that his equally green OC would be able to scheme away his deficiencies, was a fool's exercise.  

The on the field stuff needed ALOT of work...no arguments there.  But holding attendance against him, in a year where no one can be present in the same manner (pandemic) isn't why he isn't playing. 

And to be honest, the entitled, lazy athlete narrative, on the way out, just seems excessive.  Ron doesn't have to justify his decision to anyone if Dan accepted it.  

29 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm not shocked that you'd think all of this information is false, despite the fact this stuff has been talked about with Haskins since he was drafted. I just don't get why you are so against the idea that maybe Haskins just isn't as good as we had hoped he'd be.

27 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Man... that's on you. Leaving open receivers, zero improvement in his mechanics, making his reads so slowly at times that the receivers lose whatever window you have at the NFL level... that's on him. Ron tolerated that stuff long enough and saw no improvement. If he saw Haskins actually making an attempt to improve in those areas, that would have given Haskins more time and tolerance.

Guys with a lighter hue can be just as clue-free, you know. Witness Jeff George. He got called out on it too. Haskins is so thin-skinned, he may as well be wax paper.

You can't say that, because we aren't hearing anything except the same chatter we've always heard.  He wasn't on the precipice of greatness...there wasn't any one tangible thing you could now say that you KNOW would've worked.  He needed A LOT of work, and there was a LOW chance it was all ever going to come together.  You're throwing the blame on his work ethic, when I'm asking why this was ever the PLAN in the first place?  If he wasn't ready...he didn't need to be on the field.  Did waiting 4 games to make that decision help or hurt the team?  

The guy just might not be very good.  The mechanics criticism, decision making, are tangible and objective.  Whispers around attitude aren't.  

3 minutes ago, megared said:

You can't say that, because we aren't hearing anything except the same chatter we've always heard.  He wasn't on the precipice of greatness...there wasn't any one tangible thing you could now say that you KNOW would've worked.  He needed A LOT of work, and there was a LOW chance it was all ever going to come together.  You're throwing the blame on his work ethic, when I'm asking why this was ever the PLAN in the first place?  If he wasn't ready...he didn't need to be on the field.  Did waiting 4 games to make that decision help or hurt the team?  

The guy just might not be very good.  The mechanics criticism, decision making, are tangible and objective.  Whispers around attitude aren't.  

Except, they are.

Draft night. You saw his body language. That isn't tangible?

Yesterday, after they took that man's pants, you saw his attitude. That isn't tangible?

The video with him talking to Thomas Davis and Davis explaining why, in camp, Haskins can't stare down receivers. That's not tangible?

Haskins flat out saying he didn't stare down receivers post game against Cleveland, that's not tangible?

Him liking pictures on Instagram about Gruden being fired, that's not tangible?

The way he sulks on the sidelines, that's not tangible?

Show me one quarterback in this league who has become successful while doing all of that. Now, show me one who did all that and had poor on-field mechanics.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Show me one quarterback in this league who has become successful while doing all of that. Now, show me one who did all that and had poor on-field mechanics.

There was one: Donovan McNabb. But McNabb also had Andy Reid.

4 minutes ago, megared said:

My honest thought? The main reasons he was on the field were he was picked by Snyder and no one else really stood out. Four games is essentially a preseason. He came into the league with zero preparation for the NFL game. I think that much is obvious. The biggest problem? He was drafted way higher than he should have been. That’s on Danny Boy. All Haskins and his agent can thing is he was drafted halfway through the first round, not that he should have never been drafted there.

Never, ever, ever, ever again let Danny have a say in personnel. Ever.

You don’t need whispers to show any shortcomings in his attitude or work ethic. His body language yesterday spoke of that. It wasn’t a guy fighting to get better, it was a guy who said “Screw it, I’m taking my toys and going off in this corner.”

You sometimes need to fail in order to succeed. What he does with that is up to him. He has made too many of the same mistakes, even when stuff around him is working. Whatever is happening on-field in Sundays is probably the least of what he’s doing wrong. No one else is gonna’ tell him that other than the coaches. We don’t know what they’ve tried to drill into him the last several months. All we do know is it isn’t working. Maybe sitting and watching will help. If Allen does well, he can learn from that. If Allen stinks it up just as badly, then sometimes having a different visual perspective will help.

32 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's always something.  Lazy and/or uppity is an old favorite.

But this isn't Dan or Bruce Allen saying this, it's a guy who has been to the Superbowl as a coach, coordinator, and player and was part of one of the greatest defenses of all time.

Are you saying he is lying?  What would be his reason to lie?  Does he have a vendetta against Dwayne?  Why have two coaching staffs back to back wanted nothing to do with Dwayne?  At what point does Dwayne hold himself accountable?

Just now, KDawg said:

Except, they are.

Yesterday, after they took that man's pants, you saw his attitude. That isn't tangible?

The video with him talking to Thomas Davis and Davis explaining why, in camp, Haskins can't stare down receivers. That's not tangible?

Haskins flat out saying he didn't stare down receivers post game against Cleveland, that's not tangible?

Ron could've stopped all of that...or made it clear it's not tolerable.  Same for Gruden.  The consistency I see is dudes really not investing in his growth, then being upset that growth isn't occurring to their liking. 

I can't argue with any of the on field criticisms you've made of his play.  All of that other stuff is a function of immaturity, and something he'd either outgrow or not.  Just because he's not playing well doesn't mean it will accelerate some growth process in his maturity.     

In fact, there's a snowball's chance in hell of that occurring, compared to how that usually plays out...  

Does it really warrant further conversation, that 23 year olds like social media?  Or pro athletes act entitled?   

53 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This stuff was out though last year, its not a new narrative about Haskins. 

41 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's always something.  Lazy and/or uppity is an old favorite.

As beloved as he was by the fanbase (for whatever reason), Cooley really was a clown. His constant one-way beef and whatever it was with Jason Witten was just bizarre. Nevermind the stuff with the playbook/toilet pic that got out on to social media. 

Seems like a lot of discussion over something that just doesn't seem that important. 

No other team wanted to draft Haskins where he was drafted...multiple reports that it was a Snyder pick...none of the football people wanted him etc

He did not perform well. He looked ok in some games late in the year. Has looked really bad this year. Football guys finally get to make decisions, they bench him. Uproar. 

Personally, i see zero upside with Dwayne. I don't see someone brimming with talent. He has a big arm, but can't use it because he is extremely inaccurate. He misses on balls that every QB in the league makes. He's one of the least athletic QBs in the league. Zero pocket awareness. Zero touch. Very questionable decision making. I just don't see one thing you can point to and say, he can build off that. 

If there are any rumblings of anything that he is doing that isn't meshing with the staff and/or team why not bench him. It would look like two offensive staffs, and two head coaches have now deemed him to not be the future. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This stuff was out though last year, its not a new narrative about Haskins. 

To be fair, it wasn't as descriptive as it is now.  There were subtle hints, but the "abnormally low" amount of film study was a new one to me.  

40 minutes ago, megared said:

And to be honest, the entitled, lazy athlete narrative, on the way out, just seems excessive.  Ron doesn't have to justify his decision to anyone if Dan accepted it.  

The entitled, lazy athlete narrative isn't new.  There is also nothing to suggest that Ron is pushing that narrative.  It could be anyone, or even several people, that have passed that information along.  Given what we've seen on the field from him, and subsequently what he's had to say afterwards, it certainly aligns with a guy that seems like he could be doing more yet doesn't believe he needs to.

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

To be fair, it wasn't as descriptive as it is now.  There were subtle hints, but the "abnormally low" amount of film study was a new one to me.  

Story after story that the dude didn't work as hard as they'd like was out there.  It was a main subplot about Haskins last year.  Beat guy after beat guy mentioned it in different ways in different stories.   Maybe later, I'll pull some of it if you'd like but it was discussed on this very thread a lot.  It's not some new discussion that was started yesterday.  The positive narrative was Haskins supposedly turned on a corner on this front in the last off season. 

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Except, they are.

He also argued with Thomas Davis about what he brought up. Didnt take the criticism/attempt to help. I mentioned it awhile back as something that stuck out to me and maybe that attitude continued with coaches too.

For me when they traded a draft pick to get Allen on this team they knew the previous coaching staff had lost faith in Haskins and they needed an insurance policy.

When Smith recovered from his injury then they got a second insurance policy.  If Allen bombs then we will see Smith.  Now that the defense is better Rivera may

think he can make the playoffs so he needs a veteran quarterback running the show.

Archived