Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Just now, heyholetsgogrant said:

😄

Zero lead changes with him under center in 2018.  No Adrian Peterson to bail him out.  Laugh all you want, but there was only one game thus far where we took a lead early and that was Cleveland.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wasn't in love with Alex the player, loved the person, when he was here.  I thought he was just OK at best.  But I do agree with the narrative that he's a real leader and he won't lose the game for you.  

Agreed.

What puzzles me is that Dwayne had the opportunity to watch Alex rehab and learn from him.  One would think that it should rub off.  To watch a guy in his mid 30's who almost lost his leg, grind and grind, to get back to where he could potentially play right now.  Just mind boggling to me that you can watch a guy who doesn't really 'need' to work that hard, that could just call it a career and walk off into the sunset, and not follow his lead is just odd to me.

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Zero lead changes with him under center in 2018.  No Adrian Peterson to bail him out.  Laugh all you want, but there was only one game thus far where we took a lead early and that was Cleveland.  

Cleveland was an eminently winnable game and Haskins puked it all over the field. Can't say Alex would have done any better, since he didn't play and it's impossible to prove a negative. All I do know is that game was there and Haskins crapped the bed so badly it had to be thrown out and burned by guys in hazmat suits.

1 minute ago, ntotoro said:

Cleveland was an eminently winnable game and Haskins puked it all over the field. Can't say Alex would have done any better, since he didn't play and it's impossible to prove a negative. All I do know is that game was there and Haskins crapped the bed so badly it had to be thrown out and burned by guys in hazmat suits.

I believe we would have won against Cleveland with Alex Smith.  I also believe this team would not have come back from a 17 point deficit with Alex Smith under center against the Eagles.  

I think Haskins may have cost up the Cleveland game.  The other two games were not going to be won by good game managing at QB.  Maybe a Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, or Russell Wilson would have won one of them for us (probably Arizona), but Alex Smith and Kyle Allen were not.   If we had 2018 Alex Smith before the injury we are probably 2-2 right now.

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You’re doing it again, just saying too much to excuse the simple fact that a teammate brought up his work habits and he did nothing to change it. It’s that simple. It doesn’t mean sleeping at the facility. He’s not a rookie anymore, this is year two with a new coaching staff, he should be trying to set a tone and impress people. It’s not hard to see why this is a problem, yet you are doing incredible mental gymnastics to explain it away. 

No mental gymnastics involved.  According to everyone here, he played bad enough to be benched.  End of story.   

Are old articles insinuating deficiencies in his work ethic relevant RIGHT NOW?  No, they aren't, because if Ron had that much of a problem with it, he could've easily found a viable vet and sent him to the bench, and never started him.  Did something about his work ethic change yesterday/last week?

These articles aim to absolve everyone else of any blame...which I just can't buy.  And I hope Ron had nothing to do with them.  For the last time, it's not about the player...it's about the lack of a discernable process.   If our process is going to be this fungible, it doesn't seem like Ron has a concrete path forward.        

Lastly what you're saying has certain undertones to it...I'll leave it at that.  Simply said, doesn't need to be a part of why DH failed, if that's what this is.  

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I believe we would have won against Cleveland with Alex Smith.  I also believe this team would not have come back from a 17 point deficit with Alex Smith under center against the Eagles.  

That's the problem with speaking in the subjunctive. If you're going to say the team couldn't have come back from 17 down with Alex Smith, there's also the possibility the team would have never been 17 down with Alex Smith.

4 minutes ago, megared said:

Did something about his work ethic change yesterday/last week?

We are not privy to the conversations going on at Redskins Park.  I gather by Dwayne being named a captain and giving the starting nod, they were giving him the opportunity to take it and run with it.  To go from captain to inactive, chances are they didn't see him seizing the opportunity he was provided.

Jason LaCanfora was just on ranting about this decision, saying they needed to stick with Haskins--like he has a personal stake in Dwayne Haskins. He's literally screaming about it. At no point does he recognize that Haskins is the worst QB in the league.

I have never been more in favor of this move. 

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Jason LaCanfora was just on ranting about this decision, saying they needed to stick with Haskins--like he has a personal stake in Dwayne Haskins. He's literally screaming about it. At no point does he recognize that Haskins is the worst QB in the league.

If he was on any other team but ours the media would be screaming that he should be benched.

So I see the honeymoon phase with the new marketing savior Head Coach is already over within the Snyder Cycletm. :ols: 

Rivera actually did decently, I guess. Let’s go down memory lane and compare! Weeeeeeeee

Jay’s was pretty much over as soon as Chris Russell leaked that he preferred Cousins over RG3 during the 2014 Preseason and then only magnified once he called Robert out in a presser later that season.

The Shanahan’s was over once reports came out about Mcnabb not being who they really wanted at QB, culminating with him signing that faux big contract right before the Monday Night Massacre against the Eagles and Vick. 

Surprisingly, Zorn’s honeymoon phase lasted longer than both (and Ron’s) with his 6-2 start in 2008. Go figure. :ols: 

Gibbs is Gibbs so he had a ton of leeway with fans, who (outside of a few exceptions who were saying the game passed him by right away and a little more when he benched Ramsey for Brunell early in 2005) only truly soured on him on a large scale during the 2006 season, two years into his tenure.

Spurrier’s was over pretty quickly once everyone saw Ramsey get pummeled over and over and over (and over) again against the Eagles during the second game of his tenure.

Schotty’s was over pretty much immediately with vets like Darrell Green complaining about his style of Training Camp and then starting 0-5. 

Anyone notice the other pattern there? We go from more “traditional” structure with personnel executive/TP and head coach (traditional in quotes because the executive is totally unqualified and more or less a Snyder lackey, and there are other nuances to it that make it difficult to call it traditional, really) to Head Coach with ultimate power.

That’s the switch every time. It’s uncanny.  

Gotta love the patented Snyder Cycletm. :) 

But yeah, Ron’s honeymoon lasted into week 5 of the season. That’s longer than Jay’s, Spurrier’s, and Schotty’s did, about the same as Shanny’s, and less than Zorn’s and of course Gibbs’s. Not too shabby! 

10 minutes ago, megared said:

Lastly what you're saying has certain undertones to it...I'll leave it at that.  Simply said, doesn't need to be a part of why DH failed, if that's what this is.  

What are you getting at... ? Dwayne's a grownup. Seems more than a little thin-skinned, but a grownup. All we heard about in the offseason was him being a workout warrior, nothing about him putting his nose to the books, which was also a criticism prior. He didn't really have to do that in college.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

We are not privy to the conversations going on at Redskins Park.  I gather by Dwayne being named a captain and giving the starting nod, they were giving him the opportunity to take it and run with it.  To go from captain to inactive, chances are they didn't see him seizing the opportunity he was provided.

Was that the thought process when they gave it to Case Keenum last year?  Or when they gave it Mason Foster (who they then unceremoniously cut the eve of TC the next season)?

53 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The fact that Haskins film watching time was "abnormally low" is quite telling, can't make excuses for laziness.

It's not like our Coaching staff is the Other Gruden and his buddies anymore. RR, Turner and Zampese are all extremely well respected throughout this league. If they're not getting the feeling that Haskins is putting in the work, then don't let the door hit ya.

3 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

If he was on any other team but ours the media would be screaming that he should be benched.

Now, we deserve no benefits of the doubt--but JLC is almost Feinstein-ian in his "Redskins do bad!" in every decision they make. He's one of the people I pay attention to the least when it comes to this team.

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Curiously, he wasn't that upset when the same thing happened to Rosen.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/1167912386881212416?s=20

Just now, megared said:

Was that the thought process when they gave it to Case Keenum last year?  Or when they gave it Mason Foster (who they then unceremoniously cut the eve of TC the next season)?

Apples to oranges.  Entirely different regime and circumstances.  

Something I think being missed in all this is just how huge it is.  The guy went from both captain and starting QB to sweatpants in 4 weeks.  That's not a decision that is made lightly.  I guess I just don't understand what folks think Ron's motive in all this is.  Do you really think if Dwayne was working as hard as expected, coming to work everyday with a great attitude, that it wouldn't both show up on gameday and in the meeting rooms in Ashburn?  If that was happening, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  

1 minute ago, ntotoro said:

What are you getting at... ? Dwayne's a grownup. Seems more than a little thin-skinned, but a grownup. All we heard about in the offseason was him being a workout warrior, nothing about him putting his nose to the books, which he was also a criticism prior. He didn't really have to do that in college.

I think it's important to be mindful of the narrative ya'll are repeating, hook, line, sink.  It's primarily reserved for guys of a certain hue implying a lack of intelligence, cooperation, and coachability.    DH doesn't need that, if you believe he played himself off the field.

But if it helps you sleep at night to justify benching a dude nobody has a read on, in a season that was supposed to be about assessing his talent level, that's you.  I reject the deficiencies as things Ron tolerated.  If he did, why can't you?   

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Apples to oranges.  Entirely different regime and circumstances.  

Something I think being missed in all this is just how huge it is.  The guy went from both captain and starting QB to sweatpants in 4 weeks.  That's not a decision that is made lightly.  I guess I just don't understand what folks think Ron's motive in all this is.  Do you really think if Dwayne was working as hard as expected, coming to work everyday with a great attitude, that it wouldn't both show up on gameday and in the meeting rooms in Ashburn?  If that was happening, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  

They always give it to the starting QB.  It means nothing lol.    

Archived