Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So that's initially true...but, once it's been clarified to you (as Haskins) that Alex's level of commitment is needed and expected, and you don't change at all?

That one paragraph in the WaPo article is brutal.  What a gut punch.

Nah man, it's like asking him why doesn't he walk on water.  Grown men gush and blush like teenage girls when Alex Smith's work ethic is broached.

Criticize his attitude, social media, etc.  Don't think it's fair to expect him to compete with Alex Smith. 

Alex Smith's entire career became work ethic, after everyone realized he will never live up to his draft expectations.  Why else do you think he lasted so long?

these Haskins supporters responses seem straight out of he twilight zone :) No matter how much evidence is presented and regurgitated over and over, no matter how many press clips get attached or high end analytics data presented, or even Ron himself nicely given his reasons, they still don't seem to get it or want to accept the fact DH is not elite, not starter ready and would be a huge project. Getting your pants taken must be game over, right? I've never seen such a thing, but didn't time now with social media which had a lot to do with this to be sure.

I do not know if Kyle Allen is the guy but i know we will certainly see more pass concepts this Sunday versus the same 4-5 we've seen over and over the past 4 games.   

30 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Honestly, I sensed something amiss back at the beginning of Training Camp, and Thomas Davis tried to offer him some helpful veteran feedback in a friendly way, and Haskins responded "What if you're wrong ?"

I don't hear that. Maybe it's another clip ? I do hear him say " What crossing pattern ? "

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/watch-thomas-davis-warned-dwayne-haskins-about-staring-down-targets-camp?amp

1 minute ago, Spearfeather said:

I don't hear that. Maybe it's another clip ? I do hear him say " What crossing pattern ? "

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/watch-thomas-davis-warned-dwayne-haskins-about-staring-down-targets-camp?amp

That's just a 32 second clip that at the end, literally cut off right before he says "What if you're wrong ?"

I could probably find the rest of the clip

6 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

The first thing Haskins says to him is “what do you want?” Being dismissive of veterans is a good way to endear yourself to a locker room. 

“what crossing route?”

Jives with him saying he didn’t stare at receivers against Cleveland, too. 

2 minutes ago, megared said:

Nah man, it's like asking him why doesn't he walk on water.  Grown men gush and blush like teenage girls when Alex Smith's work ethic is broached.

Criticize his attitude, social media, etc.  Don't think it's fair to expect him to compete with Alex Smith. 

Alex Smith's entire career became work ethic, after everyone realized he will never live up to his draft expectations.  Why else do you think he lasted so long?

Let me rephrase the point.  So Haskins has just had his own work ethic questioned.

The complaint within the locker room (at least to one player), is not that Haskins couldn't match Smith's great work ethic.

It's that Haskins didn't try.  At all.  Haskins can find his own method to success through a different system of working than Smith.  But, according to WaPo, Haskins literally did not change his work ethic.

14 minutes ago, scstand said:

these Haskins supporters responses seem straight out of he twilight zone :) No matter how much evidence is presented and regurgitated over and over, no matter how many press clips get attached or high end analytics data presented, or even Ron himself nicely given his reasons, they still don't seem to get it or want to accept the fact DH is not elite, not starter ready and would be a huge project. Getting your pants taken must be game over, right? I've never seen such a thing, but didn't time now with social media which had a lot to do with this to be sure.

I do not know if Kyle Allen is the guy but i know we will certainly see more pass concepts this Sunday versus the same 4-5 we've seen over and over the past 4 games.   

I don't get it either. I just checked twitter for Haskins and it's like 90% haskins supporters saying the same nonsense. They're just repeating yards, tds, ints and comparing him to Daniel Jones and Darnold. Then occasionally you'll get Josh Allen and Peyton Manning brought up as comparisons, 🤣.  In the advanced age of analytics, he's the worst qb in the nfl. He's not giving Ron much of a choice. I'm sure Ron probably was fine riding with him and developing him this year if he showed some competence, but he's been so bad that it's come to this point this fast. He's simply not ready to be an NFL qb. 

6 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Let me rephrase the point.  So Haskins has just had his own work ethic questioned.

The complaint within the locker room (at least to one player), is not that Haskins couldn't match Smith's great work ethic.

It's that Haskins didn't try.  At all.  Haskins can find his own method to success through a different system of working than Smith.  But, according to WaPo, Haskins literally did not change his work ethic.

No, it used Smith's work ethic to advance a narrative...that probably no other QB in the league matches either. 

How could Haskins be that guy, on this team if Alex Smith is still on the roster?   

The implication, if any,  should be that he doesn't work as hard as a starting QB needs to.   Not that he should exceed what Smith is renowned for.   

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The first thing Haskins says to him is “what do you want?” Being dismissive of veterans is a good way to endear yourself to a locker room. 

Oh, I agree. I'm not defending his attitude. I just hadn't heard the part where he says " What if you're wrong ? ". I'd be interested to hear how Davis responded to that.

2 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

He wasn’t drafted by us so greater than zero. Maybe .01% chance. If he’s our Todd Collins this year he’s served his purpose. We don’t need him to be a franchise QB

How many games did Todd end up starting that year?

I like the comparison, you’d think he’s made some mental improvements from last year. I do think right away his legs and play making will make the collective fan base think we have the next Mahomes for a quarter or half lol. Excited most about this part of his game. 

Just now, wit33 said:

How many games did Todd end up starting that year?

I like the comparison, you’d think he’s made some mental improvements from last year. I do think right away his legs and play making will make the collective fan base think we have the next Mahomes for a quarter or half lol. Excited most about this part of his game. 

Campbell was hurt early against the Bears. Todd came in and won that game improving us to 6-7. He won the next 3 and got us to 9-7 and a wild card. We were a Cooley drop away from winning in Seattle in the Wild Card. Joe Gibbs said there would be open competition the following year then retired. Zorn was hired as OC then promoted to head coach once no one else would take the job and that was that.

44 minutes ago, megared said:

The implication, if any,  should be that he doesn't work as hard as a starting QB needs to.   Not that he should exceed what Smith is renowned for.   

I feel like you are getting hung up on the Alex Smith thing. I have a feeling there are other things that were going on behind the scene also however I don't care if you are 19 years old or 40 years old, there is no excuse for Haskins to not be the first one in the building and last one to leave. 

If he doesn't/didn't comprehend that then he isn't a top level QB prospect. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I bet Burrow is in the office early. Herbert. Lamar. Mahomes. 

The successful quarterbacks are also usually some of the most dedicated. Of course, there are those super dedicated who stink, too. 

Herbert look like he is going to be really good... Chargers are hitting on what their 3rd in a row after a huge bust (Leaf)

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The WFT misses continuously.  Wondering when it's going to set in for the majority of the fanbase that the players aren't the problem here.  Dwayne was a good prospect, I'm not going to be gaslighted into forgetting his season at Ohio State because he failed to develop for an NFL team that set him up to fail.

I've watched a lot of QB prospects and one thing I eventually learned is that these kids are a lot closer to each other in ability than people believe.  Pretty much every year there are like three or four kids who are good enough to become good starting QBs at the next level.  There will be relatively minor differences in their skills, but in general almost all of them can make every NFL throw, operate a functional offense, make reads pretty well, and grow into the leadership role the job demands.  They're really good players and typically demonstrate that fact while playing for good college teams.

And their success or failure at the next level hinges almost entirely upon the situation they get drafted into.  That and staying healthy.  Most of the league is really bad with the quarterback position and isn't capable of developing the position.    The WFT is not unique in being totally incompetent at developing the position.  But it does damn us to noncompetitiveness.  We've been trying to do it our own way at QB since at least the 70's, and it just doesn't work in today's NFL.  For this team to successfully develop a QB, they're going to have to do it the tried and true way of hiring a good GM who then hires a good coach and immediately drafts a good QB prospect and the three of them are all married together.

This isn't true though, NFL coaches in our own organization didn't think he was a 1st round pick, in a weak QB class. You don't have to be a NFL scout either to see that his throwing motion is awful, and he stares receivers down.

It really isn't hard to understand why he was good in college for a year and why he can really only complete slants on a consistent basis in the NFL.

He was picked because the owner liked him and wanted him and oddly because he was from the area.

No excuses, Herbert is the real deal, and he doesn't look like that because he has any more help or any better of a coach around him. Its simply because he is better.

So Conclusion? Haskins is bad, never should have been a 1st round pick, and was picked at 15 because moron Snyder liked him. That simple

11 minutes ago, megared said:

No, it used Smith's work ethic to advance a narrative...that probably no other QB in the league matches either. 

What?  Brady?  Brees?  Let's not go crazy.  Brady just threw 5 TD's at 43 years old.  He's obliterating records in the 40+ year category.  That doesn't happen without ridiculous work ethic.

Alex Smith has numerous examples of a great work ethic, that's not in question.

11 minutes ago, megared said:

How could Haskins be that guy, on this team if Alex Smith is still on the roster?   

You're misinterpreting this.  It isn't about supplanting Alex Smith and overdoing what he does.  It's about teammates coming to Haskins, telling him he's not putting in the effort, and he does nothing to fix that.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's just a 32 second clip that at the end, literally cut off right before he says "What if you're wrong ?"

I could probably find the rest of the clip

Yeah they definitely showed the edited version.

The full uncut vid is even more revealing of how Haskins was manhandling folks behind the scenes:

Haskins says, “Listen old man you need glasses. Next time remember that YOU are just a washed up backup looking for one last paycheck before retiring while  I’m  Simba—— the captain of this team, the big boss man, the head honcho, the annointed one. I do what I do because I know what I know— chump! Next time you call out my name put some damn respect on it!” 🥳

Haskins sounds like a millennial. More interested in Instagram than film study. He seems like a good guy and will learn from this no doubt, but you could tell Ron and the players patience was wearing thin. I was shocked by how happy Dwayne seemed after the Ravens game. Like he was counting his stats not the lost. 

Archived