Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

What was the tweet because from what I remember it said that we have a young team and a first year coordinator and the QB is the one whose job is on the line. There's nothing wrong with that tweet from my point of view. But was there more than that?

He said in a snide way he needs to play better and not the his teammates. He also undermined the coach for suggesting that to the player. The agent can saying a word without the player’s consent. That tweet was not deleted. It’s tantamount to Haskins posting it himself. It’s basically a trade or release demand. 

This isn’t a fan making that tweet. It’s the player’s agent. A pretty well known agent at that. Protocol dictates you don’t do that. It was an egregious move.

Just now, MartinC said:

Agreed. I was responding to a post though that speculated that Ron always had serious doubts over Haskins.- maybe really doubted he could be developed. In that situation with Newton available it seems strange he would not bring him in and have Haskins sit and watch and learn the system. His draft pick is a sunk cost and he's a cheapish backup on his rookie deal in that scenario.

All water under the bridge now anyway. It is what it is.

Agreed with all of this. But I’m betting Snyder said to Rivera, “I ask you give Dwayne a chance.”

So he did. 

I can’t confirm that and we’ll likely never know. But that’s my thought.

22 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

How do you know the thinking of other coaches around the league before the draft?

Its called common sense.. you should try it. Obviously nobody knows things for sure.. but its a likely scenario based on everything that came out after the draft.

1. Its widely known that Skins coaches did not want Haskins in the first rd. 

2. Beyond Skins and Denver nobody else needed a high rd QB

3. After Haskins.. the next QB was Luck in the 2nd rd.. which was also widely expected since Denver loved him and would draft him

4. After Luck no team needed a qb.. so its likely that Haskins would be available in the 2nd or even 3rd rd

I can also help you with stock pics and love life advice.. just let me know how I can help you buddy.

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Are you guys intentionally missing the point about the tweet and how that damages a locker room? 

this

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Agree. Coach is supposed to have the freedom to play his guys. This proves he does and proves coach is trying to win. I cant be upset with that no matter how much a rooted for the kid. 

And this.

I get some of the ones with high hopes for Haskins are upset.  But disagree that this shows that the process is a problem.  To me this shows the process is working well. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Saw a tweet that said Allen, Smith and Montez were getting reps.

Not there so not sure.

Seems like that was in individual drills not the team portion. So warm up really. If he's not even taking snaps in that part ... yeah stick a fork in this.

Just now, SkinFanInMinn said:

Not sure I agree.  I think it depends on how he answers the bell here.  Maybe this is another "test" to see how he responds to his benching?  Lots of unknowns here.

Long long way to come back from this. Long way.

28 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Why am I down on Rivera? He is sending mixed messages. If we're all about win now and not developing players, why didn't we sign a FS like Reid or Thomas instead of playing Apke? Why did we cut Peterson instead of keeping Barber? Why did we not keep Trent? Why did we not keep Reed? Why did we not keep Dunbar? Why did we not keep Flowers? 

I could get behind all these moves because I was all about developing our players. We are a young team and a young team is going to make mistakes. I understood that and I had patience. 

But all of a sudden we are hearing all these 'rumors' going into the Baltimore game. Immediately after Cleveland he's adament that's my QB. Then he's like clock's ticking. Then he wonders why Haskins plays cautious against Baltimore - cautious and still manages to get 300+ yards. Then Rivera comes out and publicly - in a press conference, not in a private meeting, not in a discussion with coaches, but publicly - comes out and says that Haskins failed the test. He doesn't call out JMC for fumbling on the second drive. He doesn't call out special teams for giving up the fake punt. He doesn't call out Collins or Anderson for giving up that long run. No, he singles out one player and benches him as if its all that guy's fault. 

So heck yeah I'm frustrated. At least when Gibbs benched Ramsey it was done with class. Not a bad word was said about Ramsey. At least when Shanny traded Campbell he didn't say bad things about him. But we can't say the same things about how Rivera did Haskins. And that's frustrating. 

Trent doesn’t want to be here, Reed is too injury prone, and no one wants Thomas. Apke needs to be benched. 

Just now, MartinC said:

Seems like that was in individual drills not the team portion. So warm up really. If he's not even taking snaps in that part ... yeah stick a fork in this.

Wonder if they are going to shop him... and if they do what kind of compensation they’re looking at.

First round pick a year ago. Showed he needs a lot of work. 3ish years left on his rookie deal. I’m not sure who, but someone would probably give something up... 4th? 5th? 6th? 7th?

4 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Its called common sense.. you should try it. Obviously nobody knows things for sure.. but its a likely scenario based on everything that came out after the draft.

1. Its widely known that Skins coaches did not want Haskins in the first rd. 

2. Beyond Skins and Denver nobody else needed a high rd QB

3. After Haskins.. the next QB was Luck in the 2nd rd.. which was also widely expected since Denver loved him and would draft him

4. After Luck no team needed a qb.. so its likely that Haskins would be available in the 2nd or even 3rd rd

I can also help you with stock pics and love life advice.. just let me know how I can help you buddy.

So in other words you didn't know, you just speculated and you were passing off that speculation as fact. Got it.

And nobody needed a high round QB "beyond the Skins and Denver" lol...

And it's Lock, not Luck.

I think I'll pass on the love life advice...you'd probably point me to a woman's elbow as an erogenous zone.

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

That hes not taking any snaps is a really good sign that his time in washington is done. 

Ron said he wants players who want to be here. As much as I think Haskins is a bust he’s doing a disservice to himself. How he handles a benching will determine if he gets a shot elsewhere. No one is going to bring him in to be the de facto starter. His agent isn’t doing him any favors either.

2 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Just another player spited as the scapegoat for 20+ years of dysfunctional loser culture. We aren't even smart enough to do this in a way that doesn't crush his confidence. Hopefully Allen can do better.

I don’t think there is a way that doesn’t crush his confidence. But this whole thing is certainly not his problem. And anyone blaming Haskins for any of this is wrong...

Haskins hasn’t played well. That much I agree with. But the mess were in is due to Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen. The gift who keeps on giving. Let’s put responsibility at the feet of who it belongs to.

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

Just another player spited as the scapegoat for 20+ years of dysfunctional loser culture. We aren't even smart enough to do this in a way that doesn't crush his confidence. Hopefully Allen can do better.

If we arnt going to play him them im not sure we care about his confidence. And if his confidence is crushed by this then he was all bravado from the start. 

And i think you are taking this too seriously. He wasnt preforming well, the coaches gave him a shot, the coaches even SAID they would bench his ass if he didnt get better. He didnt get better he got worse. It is what it is at this point. The team has to move on and try to win. They DONT have to do it with him. (again, I say this as a guy that was rooting for him) 

Just heard that At practice today three quarterbacks took part. Haskins stood alone on the sideline presumably staring darts in the direction of the coaches.

Was Dwayne  demoted from 1st string to 4th? Was he taking the day off to “get his head back in the game”? Who knows but dropping your starter behind the practice squad qb is unheard of absent injury or a real unreconcilable rift between player and coach.

I suspect that there is a lot more going on behind the scene here folks. Did Dwayne and Ron/Scott have a “falling out” or major confrontation? Did the agent’s involvement cross the line for Rivera? 

At this point I wouldn’t be shocked if a “get him out of town at any cost” trade is next on the agenda.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Wonder if they are going to shop him... and if they do what kind of compensation they’re looking at.

First round pick a year ago. Showed he needs a lot of work. 3ish years left on his rookie deal. I’m not sure who, but someone would probably give something up... 4th? 5th? 6th? 7th?

Josh Rosen is on a practice squad. Do you actually think Haskins has more value than Josh right now? I’m honestly curious because I don’t.

Well..   I really thought they would give him to the bye. Honestly has to be more than his play. He has been not good but could easily see giving him until the bye. So attitude had to factor in. I saw real signs of promise at the end of last year and was hoping he would build off of that. It's clear that did not happen. 

Either way, in Ron I trust. Next man up! 

Oh, and as I said a few pages ago before we knew - this IS the end of MR. Haskins. He will be off the team after this year. Traded, released something. 

Archived