Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

Rivera blatantly contradicting himself should be a bigger concern losing the locker room. His recent speeches all sound like he's blowing hot air now. 

Are you guys intentionally missing the point about the tweet and how that damages a locker room? 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This move to me isn't just Haskins centric but very Rivera centric. 

Agree. Coach is supposed to have the freedom to play his guys. This proves he does and proves coach is trying to win. I cant be upset with that no matter how much a rooted for the kid. 

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

An UDFA who started three years in college and looked terrible last year in his second season is not the answer.  If you think he is, then you're only fooling yourself.

As opposed to a guy who was drafted but played one year in college and has looked terrible his second season? Whats the difference? Drafted vs not? I was really excited for Haskins this year but he has looked poor.

3 minutes ago, max21 said:

I wonder why he isn’t even throwing at practice 

Backs up the thought that something beyond his play happened.

Just now, KDawg said:

This is a problem with him being drafted in the first place. Which means not this regime’s problem.

This regime could fail. Absolutely. But Haskins isn’t on them. This is on Snyder/Allen. And they have to live with the idea that THEY set a young man up for failure.

The frustration here is misplaced. It’s on the wrong man.

I am not upset with one man. I have said that accountability across needs to be a pillar of the culture. This move just continues the dysfunction. The new coaches didn't have the guts to just name "their guy" the starter. We were fed lip service. More loser energy and culture.

2 minutes ago, max21 said:

I wonder why he isn’t even throwing at practice 

Because the third string QB almost never gets snaps with the O in practice in the season. He runs the scout team for the D typically.

Focus is always around getting the starter ready with maybe a couple of reps for the backup.

6 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

That's what we don't understand. Joe Montana or bust at QB is a part of the dysfunctional culture. It's already been shown Haskins is on track or better than recent QBs that have developed. We aren't patient.

Already been shown?  Even his biggest fans have to grasp at straws to come up with reasons why he's not that bad.  Buddy has been dreadful.  But add to that, there has to be more than just his play on the field that led to this.  Ron named the guy captain a little over a month ago and he'll be wearing a hoodie this coming Sunday.  I think you guys are giving way too much credit to a kid and completely dismissing the thoughts of a league vet as both a player and coach.

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

An UDFA who started three years in college and looked terrible last year in his second season is not the answer.  If you think he is, then you're only fooling yourself.

Allen is developmental and he has some skills that can be developed and we as fans shouldn't turn on him or think he can't make it because of where he was drafted. I also have high hopes for Montez. I would actually hope that if Haskins is inactive that we have Montez active as our third guy Sunday just in case because I don't want to go with Smith as the only backup on Sunday. 

I look at what SF did with Beathard and Mullens and neither is a gamechanger (right now) but I think either one could go into a situation and grow into a game manager QB. I thought the same about AJ McCarren and a bunch of other QBs who have been low round guys or backups who got shots. I thought that about Allen last year so I'm kinda happy we traded for him and got him to play. But a part of me is comparing this to when Gus got hurt in 98 and Green came in, it was the end of one era and I was hoping that Green could be better than Gus.

Lets see what we have in Allen. 

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I don't know what your question is

You’re on the team and Haskins (via his agent) tweets that tweet. How you feeling? 

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Then he should have signed Cam Newton.

I believe the intent was to give Haskins a chance. There are outliers here we don’t know. Signing Newton benches Haskins on day one.

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

I am not upset with one man. I have said that accountability across needs to be a pillar of the culture. This move just continues the dysfunction. The new coaches didn't have the guts to just name "their guy" the starter. We were fed lip service. More loser energy and culture.

Or it ends it.

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Because the third string QB almost never gets snaps with the O in practice in the season. He runs the scout team for the D typically.

Focus is always around getting the starter ready with maybe a couple of reps for the backup.

He’s not even throwing in individual drills. The practice squad QB is. He must have upset someone pretty bad.

I think we have to wait and see how this works out.  

Ron Rivera is the coach and if a coach is going to succeed they have to be empowered to make decisions.   This is not the decision I would have made, but it was Rivera's decision.  Haskins sample size was small and mixed.  Most of us had not made any conclusions, but we are not at practices and don't have as much information as the coaching staff. 

Rivera hasn't earned the respect of the Washington fans, but he deserves to be given a clean slate and an opportunity to earn that respect.   If we go 4-12 this year and 3-13 next year, I will one of the fans on the message board calling for Rivera to be fired.  But while he is the coach, I am going to support his decision and give him a fair chance!

Just now, KDawg said:

You’re on the team and Haskins (via his agent) tweets that tweet. How you feeling? 

What was the tweet because from what I remember it said that we have a young team and a first year coordinator and the QB is the one whose job is on the line. There's nothing wrong with that tweet from my point of view. But was there more than that?

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Saw a tweet that said Allen, Smith and Montez were getting reps.

Not there so not sure.

Just now, MartinC said:

The players voted the captains I thought?

I'm not sure of what the exact process is here, but from little bits I've heard across the league - players do vote, but ultimately the results go to the coach and then captains are named.  Meaning ultimately the coach has the final say on that.

It might even be worse if the players named him captain and Ron felt the need to pull the plug that fast.  That's one hell of a way to alienate your football team.

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

What was the tweet because from what I remember it said that we have a young team and a first year coordinator and the QB is the one whose job is on the line. There's nothing wrong with that tweet from my point of view. But was there more than that?

“limited weapons on offense”

While it’s true, it’s not something you throw into the twittersphere 

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

See, this is why I always put "lol" in my posts lol...

I always assumed it was because you are insane and posting from a mental institution...

Or you were one of those people that laughs at funerals seeing as tho funeral and Redskins....sorry WTF...I mean WFT fan are pretty much the same....

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I believe the intent was to give Haskins a chance. There are outliers here we don’t know. Signing Newton benches Haskins on day one.

Agreed. I was responding to a post though that speculated that Ron always had serious doubts over Haskins.- maybe really doubted he could be developed. In that situation with Newton available it seems strange he would not bring him in and have Haskins sit and watch and learn the system. His draft pick is a sunk cost and he's a cheapish backup on his rookie deal in that scenario.

All water under the bridge now anyway. It is what it is.

Just now, stoshuaj said:

Since this is a Haskins thread, any thoughts/projection/crystal ball as to how he responds to this?

Any way this can become a positive for him?

I wonder if the him not practicing is his call or Rivera's. I hope he can go back in and work hard and just try to be prepared for next time

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If this wasn't so inconsistent with so many of his other moves since becoming HC, I would be a lot more okay with it.  But the real idiocy here is that Rivera doesn't seem to know what he wants - to win now or to rebuild.  This lack of vision is going to severely hurt our franchise moving forward.

IMO the problem some have with Haskins is what they felt about Haskins before we drafted him or when we took him.  I reread some of that this week because I was curious to reread what I wrote back then.  And some really really really liked Haskins.  I saw quotes including that he was a "stud"  "a rare prospect," "amazing accuracy", etc.  There was some outside criticism of Haskins brought forward by some but it was mostly dismissed   And I am not minimizing those takes.  Opinions are opinions.  It's cool to have them and its what makes the board fun that we don't all see it the same way.

My point is for those who weren't sold on Haskins from the jump, Haskins being on a short leash doesn't faze us at all.  To those who didn't see it that way, it comes off absurd and short sighted.  But lets say Rivera saw things closer to what Haskins' critics saw?  What if he doubted (like I do and some others here) Haskins has what it takes to be a franchise QB?  You mentioned Apke but he according to some had a big camp (hence maybe more patience?), Haskins on the other hand according to most didn't have that hot of a camp.  And as Shanny said today -- camp and practices loom large typically in decisions about players especially if it plays out. 

If skepticism about Haskins was guiding him, he wouldn't feel that compelled to be that patient with Haskins.  I am not a Kyle Allen guy either.  But according to some, Scott Turner really likes Allen.  So if Turner told me as the HC (where I am already prerdisposed to not think Haskins is the guy) I don't think Haskins has it, lets try it with Kyle.  If it were me then what the heck?  If Kyle doesn't have it, then move on in the off season from both.  I don't think it has to be Haskins or Kyle.  The answer could be none of the above. 

My point is if Rivera's predisposition is that Haskins is unlikely going to be the dude, then his patience is likely more limited.  And for those that really loved Haskins before the draft, that might feel crazy.     But it doesn't feel that crazy to me and some others here that Rivera was predisposed to think Haskins isn't the long term answer.

And I am not even saying my thought process here is on the money.  I am just guessing that the thought process was guided by a predisposition that Haskins was unlikely franchise QB material.  I really doubt Zampese for example is telling Rivera behind the scenes, man I've been around so many QBs, and this dude Haskins has it, just stay patient. 

Archived