Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

21 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

What are you watching that makes you think he's the next Manning or Brees? You don't think it's important to understand when to stop playing a qb or should all qbs get a couple years to figure out whether they are the next Brees?

That's for driving my point home. Knocked that one way over the wall.

23 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

What are you watching that makes you think he's the next Manning or Brees? You don't think it's important to understand when to stop playing a qb or should all qbs get a couple years to figure out whether they are the next Brees?

You and SoCal talk a lot when things adhere to what you think, and you probably believe it makes you guys look smart. But in reality, you both sound like fools actively rooting against any kind of success from him. You’re so dug into your opinions that nothing will ever sway you. It’s a shame.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

He has displayed the ability to not turn the ball over, don’t need to see that any longer. Can he limit turnovers while putting up 30 is what we need to see. He got a great game to reflect on and improve from. 

Who cares if a QB limits turnovers and scores 20-24 points a game. I mean, context is critical for each game, but saying overall.

Go for 40 points against the Ravens or get ran out the building anyways. 

Attack, attack... 3 pointers and lay ups! 

**Whatever it counts for, I have a feeling about this week. :) 

The Rivera-Finlay podcast brings it home for me.  They talked about Newton having some monster games in the mix of his up and down rookie season.

That's what am looking for Haskins, a big game.  Some really big throws, big numbers.  I don't care of he stinks it up the game after.  Just showcase what he can do at his best, flashes of serious talent.

This part isn't directed at you.  All the examples of Qb's that stunk early in their career and then they succeeded.  I don't think that's a great argument.  There have been studies that showed a strong correlation of stinking early and ultimately busting -- especially in the last decade.   We put the study if I recall on this very thread that showed many successful QBs have shown some early success (especially among the recent crop of QBs).

I am sort of in between the two theories.  I do think rookie QBs who struggle do present a red flag versus it being in a shrug it off who cares category.  But at the same time, I get a young QB not killing it and having some serious downs along with ups.  Cam is a great example, up and down roller coaster, rookie season.  I can take that with Haskins.  But am looking for some real peaks, not hey he didn't turn over the ball today stuff.  So hopefully that's coming soon. 

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's for driving my point home. Knocked that one way over the wall.

You really think I drove your point home by questioning you on whether Haskins will be the next Manning or Brees? Lol

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You and SoCal talk a lot when things adhere to what you think, and you probably believe it makes you guys look smart. But in reality, you both sound like fools actively rooting against any kind of success from him. You’re so dug into your opinions that nothing will ever sway you. It’s a shame.

Not at all. I've said it before. I'm indifferent to Haskins. I don't care if he fails or succeeds. I want Ron and Washington to succeed. And it's funny coming from you guys who basically say the rest of the offense could barely tie their shoes and that's why Haskins is struggling. It's a shame.

7 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

You really think I drove your point home by questioning you on whether Haskins will be the next Manning or Brees? Lol

Not at all. I've said it before. I'm indifferent to Haskins. I don't care if he fails or succeeds. I want Ron and Washington to succeed. And it's funny coming from you guys who basically say the rest of the offense could barely tie their shoes and that's why Haskins is struggling. It's a shame.

My position is he is 3 games into his first season as starter with no preseason, a terrible supporting cast and an inexperienced OC, no TE, no running game and 1 WR and some undrafted guys and an O line that is still finding themselves. I never compared him to Brees or Manning. I said their careers started poorly. You're making some insane leap to prove the annoying narrative that the book is not only completely written on Haskins, but should already be shut and thrown out too. 

It Has Been THREE GAMES. Relax. 

Via ESPN, Keim surprised the backs havn't been used more than they have.

"Through three games, running backs Antonio Gibson and J.D. McKissic have combined for 10 catches for 54 yards; the catch total is OK but the damage done hasn't been as expected, especially with their background as receivers. Some of that lack of production is circumstantial -- against Arizona, they needed to help more in protection. Other times they haven't taken advantage of matchups vs. linebackers, or quarterback Dwayne Haskins hasn't looked their way enough. Or they've been asked to run a lot of swing passes that haven't resulted in much. They do have 17 combined targets, which is good, but the effectiveness needs to improve. "

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29995194/week-4-nfl-power-rankings-1-32-poll-plus-2020-preseason-predictions-got-wrong#WSH

16 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Can I ask honestly how old you are?

52 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The only one who sounds like a fool is the one not willing to accept reality. The dude is a bust. I gave him props for the couple of games he played relatively decently last season. He has played almost as much as Heath Shuler ever played for us and we had far more invested in Shuler.

At this point it seems like you only care about not being wrong and not looking like a fool. If you cared about the future of the team you would want to cut bait on the sunk cost. It’s over for Haskins. He’s done. Whether you accept that today or a year from now is irrelevant. It’s a fact. 

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Ha, was that a coincidence, or did you post that right after reading my post ?

I was already thinking of typing my thought, and happened to read yours before doing so. Guess we’re kinda thinking the same thing :) 

1 minute ago, httr2020dynasty said:

It has been a rough 30 years. My favorite qb is still Gus Frerotte. But it would be strange to have a Brady, Rodgers, or Russell type qb where year after year you know he’s the guy. What would that feel like? 

I know some Seahawks and patriots fans, i can ask them what it feels like 😂 

20 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Are you really going to the age thing? Over an argument over whether or not Haskins should be our qb. It's not that deep. 

It was just curiosity in knowing how long you’ve endured as a fan and whether or not you were alive for the glory years. Calm down.

Just now, httr2020dynasty said:

It has been a rough 30 years. My favorite qb is still Gus Frerotte. But it would be strange to have a Brady, Rodgers, or Russell type qb where year after year you know he’s the guy. What would that feel like? 

Gus? Really??? Brad Johnson got the rawest deal. Trent Green was unable to be re-signed due to the ownership change. Brad won the NFC East for us. We had 2 extra first round picks from the Sean Gilbert leaving on the Franchise tag. Our cap situation was pristine. We were set for a decade of domination but Dan ruined it all.

We could have easily had Aaron Rodgers but we took Carlos Rogers instead because Vinny was in love with Jason Campbell along with Gibbs. That one cost Gibbs another couple of Lombardis.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

It was just curiosity in knowing how long you’ve endured as a fan and whether or not you were alive for the glory years. Calm down.

well in that case, I’m old enough to have seen Gus Frerotte and Michael Westbrook and collect their football cards as a kid but too young to remember Mark Rypien and Art monk. So no, I do not remember the glory years. Just misery

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Gus? Really??? Brad Johnson got the rawest deal. Trent Green was unable to be re-signed due to the ownership change. Brad won the NFC East for us. We had 2 extra first round picks from the Sean Gilbert leaving on the Franchise tag. Our cap situation was pristine. We were set for a decade of domination but Dan ruined it all.

The most special and significant thing about Gus, is he was probably overall the best QB that we drafted ourselves, going all the way back to Gibbs 1.0 and Rypien.

7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

We could have easily had Aaron Rodgers but we took Carlos Rogers instead because Vinny was in love with Jason Campbell along with Gibbs. That one cost Gibbs another couple of Lombardis.

Trent Green and Brad Johnson, haha, haven’t heard those names in a while. Man the level of bad qbs we’ve had is staggering. Gus is more sentimental value than anything else. He’s the first qb that really got my hopes up. Thought he was the one!!

24 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The most special and significant thing about Gus, is he was probably overall the best QB that we drafted ourselves, going all the way back to Gibbs 1.0 and Rypien.

Gus was the original Kirk Cousins. An afterthought draft pick the year we took a QB in the top 3 of the draft. No one was that happy with him. His 7-1 start in 1996 to end 9-7 and out of the playoffs turned most fans off. Then he followed it up with the headbutt game the following year. 

I still don’t understand why we have to throw out how bad he looked in his starts last year. 

like I hate being that guy but it just weird. I know that he’s our guy and some feel the need to “protect” him but you can’t just ignore reality. He hasn’t been an average young QB. He’s been exceptionally bad. Worst in the league bad. If he was middle of the pack in terms of young QBs, I could understand. But he’s eye poppingly bad. With very few highs. 

The book isn’t written but man, fans ARE NOT wrong for having gigantic concerns about if he can turn that around. You guys keep bringing up comparisons but most of these guys weren’t nearly as bad in terms of stats or W-L records. 

Yes, the weapons aren’t great. But he has one of the best WRs in the game at his disposal. Yes, he is learning a new system. But so is Joe Burrow. So is Minshew. So is Daniel Jones. Yes, he had to deal with covid. So is every other player. Yes, he barely played in college. Same can be said for Kyler Murray. 

None of the excuses can justify being TIM TEBOW level bad at throwing the damn ball. I’m sorry. That just isn’t good enough. That isn’t “rookie ups and downs”. That isn’t “growing pains”. That is awful. You damn right I’m going to call it out as a fan and demand better than the absolute worst. I’m sorry. 

I like Dwayne. I don’t know him but I’m sure we’re pretty similar. Same demographics, same taste in terms of culture. He seems like a good dude. A guy that wants to be better. Wants to be “the guy”. He’s exactly what I’d want a WFT QB to be. But that’s not gonna blind me from the fact that he’s been the worst QB I’ve see play here since Jon Beck. And he’s looked like that since he became the starter last season. You guys swear you’ve seen improvement, I struggle to find much to get excited about other than that he has a big arm. Other than that, i don’t understand the hype. Chris Cooley called all of this way back before he was even linked to us in the draft in 2019. I don’t think I want him benched but I HAVE to see some big games from him ASAP if I’m gonna keep telling myself that Kyle Allen can’t be THAT much of an improvement. 

1 hour ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Trent Green and Brad Johnson, haha, haven’t heard those names in a while. Man the level of bad qbs we’ve had is staggering. Gus is more sentimental value than anything else. He’s the first qb that really got my hopes up. Thought he was the one!!

I dunno. I thought Trent and brad were good QBs

29 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I don’t think I want him benched but I HAVE to see some big games from him ASAP if I’m gonna keep telling myself that Kyle Allen can’t be THAT much of an improvement. 

Well, there is a guy on the active roster making an avg of 23.5M this year.  So, if he wasn't smart enough to retire than put a helmet on him and send him out there. 

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Gus was the original Kirk Cousins. An afterthought draft pick the year we took a QB in the top 3 of the draft. No one was that happy with him. His 7-1 start in 1996 to end 9-7 and out of the playoffs turned most fans off. Then he followed it up with the headbutt game the following year. 

Gus ended up having a long, decent career, beyond the Skins, despite earning somewhat of  journeyman label.

He led the Broncos to the playoffs. Threw for over 20,000 yards. And so on.

Compare him to any QB we drafted since the 1st Gibbs team, and he's arguably as successful or more-so. That's actually a sad thing, and says a lot bout our QB drafts.

With a decent supporting cast, he probably would have done even better. To a degree, he elevated the teams around him. He just didn't have the skills to take it to the top level.

Archived