Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

8 minutes ago, skinbuck said:

It sounds like all of this growth talk might not matter. Rivera woke up Monday, saw the division standings, had flashbacks to Carolina 2014, and the Haskins hot-seat all of a sudden got sizzling hot. Margin for error is minimal now. He could still come through it, but the odds are now stacked considerably worse for him IMO.

One potential acenario: He gets benched 1-3 games from now, Dallas goes on a mid-season tear like they’ve done the past 2-3 years, defense and the rest of the team craps the bed and he gets a second chance in the last 4 games..

I would not be shocked if you see Alex Smith Dressed this week.  

9 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I want to point out something on this note. Goff took off with SMV as head coach. And Cousins took off with SMV as offensive coordinator. Lets remember though that 2014 was SMV's first year as an offensive coordinator and it was also a year when we saw a regression from Cousins. People (many on this board) were saying he was nothing special and not a starting QB. And part of that was probably SMV growing as an OC and learning Kirk's style (as well as other QBs) and his own offensive philosophy. 

Why do I bring that up? because we have a similar situation with Scott Turner and Haskins. Turner isn't some QB Whisperer (maybe Zamp is though), and he's probably learning on the job. I really wonder how much contact he's having with his dad and if Haskins is talking to Norv. So for all we know Cousins took off when coaching was adequate and Haskins may also take off as soon as coaching is adequate. 

Goff was improved day one under McVay. Haskins doesn’t look any different except for he took more risks this week than previous ones. Which gives him more useable film to study and learn from.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just looked it up.  He was one of the least aggressive as to intended air yards in 2019, close to the bottom of the league, 30th,  meaning he didn't throw the ball down down the field much compared to the rest of the league but when he did so, he was the 12th best as for completes.

Frankly, I couldn’t remember what metric I was talking about... air yards?  Air yards/att?  Anyway, tried searching for it and I think maybe this is what I recalled seeing.  Seems like this graphic disagrees with you?  Or am I reading it wrong?

65EEC835-7F79-41DF-AF83-63D856C4B6CC.thumb.png.9c188985aede1fcfffcf868727cab14f.png

10 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Trubisky started most of CHIs games as a rookie and is currently in year 4. They gave that dude 3+ yrs

And as we can now see that was a mistake. The mistake is not just drafting the wrong guy, that's going to happen more times than not. No where teams get damaged is by sticking with the guy for too long.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are all of the first round quarterbacks drafted going back 15 years:

2005:
Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell

2006:

Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler

2007:

JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn

2008:
Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco

2009:

Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman

2010:

Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow

2011:

Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder

2012:

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden

2013:

EJ Manuel

2014:

Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater

2015:

Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota

2016:

Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch

2017:

Mitch Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson

2018:

Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson

2019:

Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins

2020:
Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Jordan Love

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Goff was improved day one under McVay. Haskins doesn’t look any different except for he took more risks this week than previous ones. Which gives him more useable film to study and learn from.

Yeah but after McVay had 2 years as an OC. Turner has whay 8 games as an OC? Now look at Cousins in his first 8 games under McVay. Some hot some really cold, especially end of 14 and start of 15. 

18 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Absolutely. Mitch was a project and got 2+ seasons and Haskins deserves that as well. 

Haskins doesn't deserve anything.  Rivera and company should be allowed to select the quarterback that they want going forward.

21 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Trubisky started most of CHIs games as a rookie and is currently in year 4. They gave that dude 3+ yrs

Except Haskins is the worse QB in the league and is a slowwww when in the pocket. This is not Ohio States when you have all day to throw. You can make the case Chicago waited on Trubisky too long. In fact, he's a guy who I would eye to bring in next season, a change of scenery may help. Like I've said previously in this thread, we need a QB who can make plays with their feet. That is where the NFL is going. 

Edited by heyholetsgogrant
20 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Absolutely. Mitch was a project and got 2+ seasons and Haskins deserves that as well. 

I can’t wait to see this board next week after we get torched by the ravens... who after last nights game need to make an example out of their next opponent. Lucky us.

Except Tribiski is a darn good athlete for the position who can run and scramble.  Haskins is a pure pocket passer who is below-average at best scrambling.

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

And as we can now see that was a mistake. The mistake is not just drafting the wrong guy, that's going to happen more times than not. No where teams get damaged is by sticking with the guy for too long.  

Seasons not over. QB pulls that happen this early tend to reverse themselves. via injury or play, I doubt Trubisky has started his last game for the bears,

Acknowledging the failures without accepting the success stories is tunnel vision. Sticking with a QB can lead to a Goff situation. They don't all end in failure.

26 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Frankly, I couldn’t remember what metric I was talking about... air yards?  Air yards/att?  Anyway, tried searching for it and I think maybe this is what I recalled seeing.  Seems like this graphic disagrees with you?  Or am I reading it wrong?

Don't see how it disagrees with me.  First of all, its not my own personal stat.  I am not charting it personally.  It's Next Generation Stats charts.  And also I said 2020, not 2019. 

You then in response said you were thinking 2019 and so then I looked up 2019 AND I said based on generation stats he was low on attempts per air yard but decent ( above average) on completes per air yard. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Sure, but we (SIP and I) were talking about Haskins.

The debate here hasn't been 2019 driven, weve been talking about 2020.  So I showed that in 2020 his air yard stats aren't hot.  then you said maybe you were thinking 2019.  So I then pulled 2019 and this is what i said to you below.

Just looked it up.  He was one of the least aggressive as to intended air yards in 2019, close to the bottom of the league, 30th,  meaning he didn't throw the ball down down the field much compared to the rest of the league but when he did so, he was the 12th best as for completes.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't see how it disagrees with me.  First of all, its not my own personal stat.  I am not charting it personally.  It's Next Generation Stats charts.  And also I said 2020, not 2019. 

You then in response said you were thinking 2019 and so then I looked up 2019 AND I said based on generation stats he was low on attempts per air yard but decent (slightly above average) on completes per air yard. 

Gotcha.  Yeah, I forgot you said “intended air yards”.  My bad.  

Thinking about it more, confidence (or, maybe more accurately, over confidence) would probably be a better term than aggressive...

25 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Haskins doesn't deserve anything.  Rivera and company should be allowed to select the quarterback that they want going forward.

Deserves was the wrong word. It would be a disservice to the team if we didn’t see what Haskins could truly do. Second season, new offense, shortened offseason... we all saw what he did late last season, there is something there. Throwing in the towel now is short sighted and lacking comprehension of the situation. 

Edited by CTskin
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Gotcha.  Yeah, I forgot you said “intended air yards”.  My bad.  

Thinking about it more, confidence (or, maybe more accurately, over confidence) would probably be a better term than aggressive...

Actually my bad on that too. I just looked it up again,

I got it reversed he was ranked highish on intended air yards in 2019 but low in terms of completed % air yards.  So I got the two stats reversed.  In other words, in 2019 he did have some gun slinger tendendies he just wasn't good at completing passes in those sceanrios. 

Edit;  lol let me correct myself again, he was decent on both fronts on 2019.  If you've ever been on the site the arrows up and down to pull the stats can throw you off.  I double checked his 2020 stats, he is really bad in both categories.  But in 2019 he was decent in both metrics. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The debate here hasn't been 2019 driven, weve been talking about 2020.  So I showed that in 2020 his air yard stats aren't hot.  then you said maybe you were thinking 2019.  So I then pulled 2019 and this is what i said to you below.

Haha, goodness SIP... I get it.  I was wrong.  The reason I kept qualifying my points with “I think”, “it seems to me”, “maybe”, “I have know idea” and question marks is because I really don’t know.  Sorry to question you, you are way more well versed on the subject.  😊

I’m not sure why you quoted my response to Kdawg though?  He was looking at the team on the chart I posted... while we were talking about Haskins specifically.  I was just clarifying.  

My point was about his aggressive (and again, I should have said confident) mentality being at odds with the way he should be playing.  I should have 1) left out the air yard comment, or 2) qualified that I might be remembering wrong, and 3) pointed out that this specific stat that I was trying to recall was from 2019.  I hate the internet sometimes, lol.  

10 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Deserves was the wrong word. It would be a disservice to the team if we didn’t see what Haskins could truly do. Second season, new offense, shortened offseason... we all saw what he did late last season, there is something there. Throwing in the towel now is short sighted and lacking comprehension of the situation. 

I am all for let Haskins play rest of the season. We are not going to the playoffs this year. Total eval year. Before drafting a QB next year you have to be sure. I don't think Haskins is going to improve though. 

9 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Haha, goodness SIP... I get it.  I was wrong.  The reason I kept qualifying my points with “I think”, “it seems to me”, “maybe”, “I have know idea” and question marks is because I really don’t know.  Sorry to question you, you are way more well versed on the subject.  😊

I’m not sure why you quoted my response to Kdawg though?  He was looking at the team on the chart I posted... while we were talking about Haskins specifically.  I was just clarifying.  

My point was about his aggressive (and again, I should have said confident) mentality being at odds with the way he should be playing.  I should have 1) left out the air yard comment, or 2) qualified that I might be remembering wrong, and 3) pointed out that this specific stat that I was trying to recall was from 2019.  I hate the internet sometimes, lol.  

You weren't wrong for 2019.  But it is wrong for 2020 if you judge by those metrics. 

9 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

You threw that graph at me to said it disagrees with me.  I just felt compelled to respond and say, I am just quoting a stat, its not my stat so it can't disagree with me.  Stats are stats.

But i rechecked the 2019, and i pulled them wrong. I rechecked the 2020 and I pulled them correctly.  

So lets call it a draw.  😀 Yes, Haskins was aggressive like in 2019, not off the charts aggressive though.  And conversely statistically speaking he's been one of the least aggressive QBs in 2020 both in terms of attempts and success with it.  I've been debating 2020 Haskins in general not 2019 where he did have 2 good games which i've acknowledged many times. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I was listening to Cooley this morning.  That was pretty much his point, he wanted to see him take more chances and learn from them.  He said he's likely going to give him a low grade but he applauds the aggressiveness.  He didn't love Haskins saying he wasn't starring because in Cooley's view he blatantly starred and he wants him to learn from it.  I can ride with that.  

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, CTskin said:

The Cardinals did this without even giving Rosen a shot with the new coaching staff.  They threw in the towel.  It worked out for them.  

10 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The Cardinals did this without even giving Rosen a shot with the new coaching staff.  They threw in the towel.  It worked out for them.  

Because Kingsbury runs a college offense that Kyler had been familiar with since basically 8th grade..