Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

Inaccurate.  Not mobile.  Not a risk taker.  Stares down receivers.  Can't read a defense (which is why he wants to run the hurry up offense).  Terrible mechanics.  

How can anyone make the argument that this guy is the future?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Just now, DJHJR86 said:

Inaccurate.  Not mobile.  Not a risk taker.  Stares down receivers.  Can't read a defense (which is why he wants to run the hurry up offense).  Terrible mechanics.  

How can anyone make the argument that this guy is the future?  

No one has to. After this season the verdict will be in. But it’s going to require patience. 

Our trajectory is our trajectory. And Haskins is going to get his opportunity to prove it one way or the other.

We’ve said “patience” for years, but in this case there is no choice. And that’s probably a good thing here. No rushing to make a decision.

It will play itself out and the franchise will either have its guy or it won’t. I don’t think there will be fence sitters either way. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, KDawg said:

No one has to. After this season the verdict will be in. But it’s going to require patience. 

My fear is that this season isn't going to be the final verdict because of who owns the team.

• Sad 1
Just now, DJHJR86 said:

My fear is that this season isn't going to be the final verdict because of who owns the team.

Valid concern, but it’s still a next stage issue.

51 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I want to see Haskins begin to take some accountability and not pass off his mistakes as someone else’s. I still disagree with Steve, I think all three interceptions were from staring down his receiver (Steve has the arrow pointing to the flat in his still, but in the video it looks like his head is in the same place when he throws to Inman). Who knows. So let’s chalk that one up to us not having the info.

For me little doubt he was starring at receivers.  That's from Mark Bullock below who practically worshipped Haskins before the draft. 

I am with the refrain to give him the whole season.  Ditto that the dude has talent.  I don't think he's accurate especially with anything over 10 yards.  I don't think he throws with touch. I don't think he throws well when flushed out of the pocket.  But as for puttiing mustard on the ball and having a quick release -- that's his game.  He was ballsy in this game unlike the other 2 and if people want to be encouraged by that, I get that. He could have easily had 4 INTs, thankfully Isaiah Wright made a killer play to prevent it. 

do I want to see Kyle Allen?  Nope.  Do I think this team is shopping for a new QB in 2021.  Probably, yes.   But I hope the straggler optimists here about Haskins' development prove correct.  Will see. 😀  I haven't had a chance yet (and probably won't until Nov) rewatch these games with coaches tape.  But when I do, I'll see if I land on a different opinion than I do from watching the games. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 7.29.18 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Our trajectory is our trajectory. And Haskins is going to get his opportunity to prove it one way or the other.

We’ve said “patience” for years, but in this case there is no choice. And that’s probably a good thing here. No rushing to make a decision.

It will play itself out and the franchise will either have its guy or it won’t. I don’t think there will be fence sitters either way. 

Agree.  I don't get the angst from some about it.

If Haskins plays like he's been playing IMO, we are going to end up with a high pick and if we want to potentially replace him we could in a draft that will argubaly be stacked at QB.  So even if I bought that Kyle Allen would bring more wins.  I don't really buy that he does.  I still wouldn't want to see him.

And conversely, give Haskins a chance to work things out.  If we discarded Haskins prematurely and he was on the verge of killing it -- that wouldn't be good for us either.

To me it makes all the sense in the world, to let it play out.

Mike Silver who spent a lot of time with Rivera before he took the job hinted in some interviews that Rivera wasn't totally sold on Haskins.  Not unsold either.  So I gather he wants to see this season play out.  if he runs like this, will he give Haskins season 3?  Don't know.  But I'd be surprised if Haskins is automatically going to get a 3rd year no matter what -- I think it depends on context. 

• Like 1

On his first int, we gain 5 yards on first down, but holding call moves us back i think we then lose 5 yards making it 2nd and 25. Haskins is then pressing and blunders.  On 2nd int, we gain 9 on first down, but offensive PI makes it first and 20.  Again, our qb is pressing.  Haskins game would be very different if those 2 penalties don't occur.  He still needs to be better.

I will be looking to see improvement after the penalties that put us in very bad down/distance situations.

• Like 2

All I will say is that this is the best game that Turner called on offense. We looked good in the first quarter and we saw the team moving the ball. People are asking what Haskins does well, but but those drives we had yesterday all looked good. Heck even the third quarter when we went from down 17-7 to up 20-17 he looked good (ints and all). He needs to do more, but this is his second offense and he's learning with Turner. We will see how he grows. He is not Cousins nor is he Allen nor is he Manning, but he is a young QB who is smart and he has all the abilities (doesn't matter if you agree with me but he has shown the abilities in the past). Its more a matter of how he can put them together to do a complete game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is the right move. Ride or die with Haskins this year. Then either replace or protect Haskins in the draft.

I get the feeling that Rivera is willing to ride with Haskins, because his horrific play could lead to drafting very high next year where he could possibly get his franchise QB or some other great player(s).  In other words, he tanks the season without looking like he's tanking the season.  There are some enormous holes on this team and extremely high draft picks could help remedy that.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

The Dwayne pick will look brilliant after it lands us two franchise changing players in Chase Young and our next QB.  Got to love him for that.

That is kind of where I am. If Haskins continues to play this way with a few good games or halves mixed in they will lose, they will be able to make a clear determination that he is not the guy and move on with that high pick. Smart teams cut their losses, stupid teams continue to trot out the likes of Blake Bortles after the evidence is in with the hopes that this is the year he turns it around. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Profound 🤔

The only environment you can create for a QB who can't hit open receivers is a dominant running game, so he doesn't have to throw the football.

Edited by cakmoney61
12 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

I get the feeling that Rivera is willing to ride with Haskins, because his horrific play could lead to drafting very high next year where he could possibly get his franchise QB or some other great player(s).  In other words, he tanks the season without looking like he's tanking the season.  There are some enormous holes on this team and extremely high draft picks could help remedy that.

Everything he has said points to this is nothing but an evaluation year and he gives 0 ****s about winning right now. Two games in a row he's pocketed all 3 TOs. People are crying about it about establishing a "winning culture," thinking he doesn't care, blaming his cancer treatment, yadda, yadda, yadda.

They're pissed because they aren't paying attention. He does not care about winning this year. He is finding out who the players on this roster are. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Everything he has said points to this is nothing but an evaluation year and he gives 0 ****s about winning right now. Two games in a row he's pocketed all 3 TOs. People are crying about it about establishing a "winning culture," thinking he doesn't care, blaming his cancer treatment, yadda, yadda, yadda.

They're pissed because they aren't paying attention. He does not care about winning this year. He is finding out who the players on this roster are. 

He also pointed out the unique situation this season presents, without a preseason and when the spike in injuries generally occurs in the NFL training camps & preseason and deciding to take it slowly to protect his players. Yes this is a young team and all but its not like he went and turned in his playchart and waived a white flag. He just wasn't as risky down two scores late in a game 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

All I will say is that this is the best game that Turner called on offense. We looked good in the first quarter and we saw the team moving the ball. People are asking what Haskins does well, but but those drives we had yesterday all looked good. Heck even the third quarter when we went from down 17-7 to up 20-17 he looked good (ints and all). He needs to do more, but this is his second offense and he's learning with Turner. We will see how he grows. He is not Cousins nor is he Allen nor is he Manning, but he is a young QB who is smart and he has all the abilities (doesn't matter if you agree with me but he has shown the abilities in the past). Its more a matter of how he can put them together to do a complete game. 

That was all scheme.  Scott Turner created open crossers that any QB could hit.  Colt McCoy would have led the exact same drives (and hit Terry in the end zone instead of missing him horribly like Haskins did).

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

They had no chance of winning the game when he didn't spend those timeouts. I believe every coach goes into every game trying to win, that's why they game plan so hard all week.  While I agree the final record is not the biggest priority now, and agree they have to stick with Haskins a bit longer, you will never convince me that Ron Rivera does not care if he wins or loses on Sunday.  That's not how he's wired. You can still try to win and still be evaluating the players, they are not mutually exclusive.    

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

That was all scheme.  Scott Turner created open crossers that any QB could hit.  Colt McCoy would have led the exact same drives (and hit Terry in the end zone instead of missing him horribly like Haskins did).

What offense isn't scheme. Scott Turner is a first year (and a half) offensive coordinator. Lets not act like he's this legendary guy with a resume of gold. Even his dad had his growing pains (I believe he was the OC with Troy Aikman early on). Scott finally went ahead and finally ran some jet sweeps and did the hurry up for Dwayne and put the ball in the hands of the playmakers. This all helps Dwayne and it is what we were told about in the offseason. We complained about it the first two weeks. I don't care about Haskins as a QB apart from any system, I want him to thrive in this system so if he can look good because of Turner then so what, that's what i want because I want this to be a marriage for a long time. 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

If the baseball prospect had a giant hole in his swing and has shown other flaws basic to the skill of hitting a baseball yes I would be quick to turn the page. That simply was not the case with Mike Trout. 

As I said I don't blame fans for being hopeful, it's all we have as Redskins fans. But surely even you can see the pattern here.  Just so many red flags around this guy, instead of seeing any form of progress he has regressed big time. It's really hard to see any way a guy who can't hit what he is throwing at and has absolutely no feel for the game ever being a good NFL QB.  You put that with the high bust rate of mid-first round QBs, the fact that he was a Snyder pick (which can't be emphasized enough as he overruled those who actually know what they are doing) and so many other issues we are seeing out of Dwayne and it's completely rational to believe he will never be the guy.  

Well by all accounts, Trout was overmatched during his first call-up.  Agree to disagree there.

I can see the patterns for sure, but I disagree that he's regressed.  He was awful when he first played last year and he's not as bad now as he was then.  That's not to say he's leaps and bounds better, he's just not as bad.

Trust me, I get why people are down on him.  I just don't think it's prudent to throw the towel in on him just yet.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

3 more games to go until people can no longer use the "WE KNOW WHAT WE HAVE IN KYLE ALLEN" argument.  Because that's how many more games that Allen has started over Haskins.  

In a few games we are likely to have an injured QB and we'll see Kyle Allen (and probably Alex Smith) and this will be another season like 2014. Not all QBs make it through the season and I have a feeling that Haskins will miss a few plays here or there for some reason (hopefully not serious) and we'll see what we have in Allen. 

When you let outside noise into your head," Haskins said, "you start thinking or believing whatever the hell you read or see. It's really letting all of that go. It's Week 3 and we start over Monday. ... You can't worry about what someone is thinking about you. ... Find the positive and ignore the noise and whoever has something to say that's not in this building."

It has been a bumpy road in Washington for Haskins, who graduated from high school in the area. There was controversy over his pick, with numerous sources saying owner Dan Snyder was the one who wanted him most, overriding the desire of his football staff. Haskins made seven starts in 2019, with his best games coming in his final two starts.

He had a strong offseason by all accounts, but he's also learning a new offense and, entering Sunday, he was one of seven starters on Washington's offense that has a combined 50 starts.

"That's just life and that's adversity," he said. "You have to learn to deal with it and get better from it. I feel I l earned from adversity this week. I felt a lot more confident in-game and before the game and just trying to figure out ways to carry the good stuff from this game and learn from the stuff that was bad."

Late in the game, Haskins' former Ohio State teammate Chase Young talked to him on the bench. At times last year, the organization felt Haskins sulked too much. He wasn't sulking Sunday, but Young, who had to leave the game with a groin injury, wanted to provide his support. He told Haskins he believed in him and would root for him even if the team trailed by 40.

Haskins said others echoed Young's sentiments.

"Teammates did a great job trying to keep my head up," Haskins said. "We all make mistakes and I'll take the blame for what I did and get better for it."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29988689/washington-football-team-ron-rivera-sticking-dwayne-haskins-3-picks

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well by all accounts, Trout was overmatched during his first call-up.  Agree to disagree there.

I can see the patterns for sure, but I disagree that he's regressed.  He was awful when he first played last year and he's not as bad now as he was then.  That's not to say he's leaps and bounds better, he's just not as bad.

Trust me, I get why people are down on him.  I just don't think it's prudent to throw the towel in on him just yet.

As others have pointed out your Trout example just doesn't work here, agree to let that go.

As for his regression I was talking about the good play at the end of last year that gave fans hope. When we compare that level of play to this well that's a regression at a time when we should be seeing some sort of improvement.  

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me little doubt he was starring at receivers.  That's from Mark Bullock below who practically worshipped Haskins before the draft.

Except Bullock is wrong there, and you can see in that picture that Haskins is not looking where he drew that little cone of vision.  He's looking at the flat.  And I think folks are building a false narrative about Dwayne based on an incorrect assumption.

Perhaps the head movement is hard to see. 

1 - Here are his eyes on the first step of his drop:

7Ul0WRT.png

2 - On step two of his drop, he moves his eyes to the flat to read Thomas:

OfjLFwd.png

3 - At the bottom of his drop, he's still looking at the flat:

YdNqxo8.png

4 - During his hitch steps and as he steps into the throw, he's still looking at the flat:

87FUrxt.png

5 - Finally, as he's releasing he brings his head back around to the curl:

7HDkBzY.png

Dwayne intentionally looked off the curl the whole way to try and sell the throw to the flat, in order to get Inman's defender to peel off and cover the flat and open up the curl.  Which did happen BTW

I was half-wrong before, there is no way Dwayne didn't know it was zone coverage.  The motion revealed that they were in zone across the board.  Dwayne just guessed wrong about whether Sims's defender would carry him up field or peel off to help with Inman, and he couldn't see what that linebacker was doing because he was looking off the throw until the release point.  I think it's pretty clear that he would have seen that LBer if he'd actually been staring Inman down, and the reason he didn't see him is because he wasn't.

Going back to the presnap motion that Logan Thomas ran tells us what the design and sequence of the play was.  Third and seven against cover 3, you obviously want the throw to go to the sticks.  The object is for Inman to drive to the sticks and then sit down and for the rest of the sequence of the play to get him uncovered.  Sims runs a post that will hopefully carry that LBer until he's in the safety's zone, and Thomas runs to the flat to get that OLB into the flat.  Dwayne's job is to sell the throw to the flat.  The problem is, the defense knows the down and distance situation too, they know we want to go to the sticks, so they just sit on that throw.  The play design didn't work.  You can tell Dwayne sensed that it wasn't working either, because he hitched before he threw it.  But he forced the issue anyway.

Dwayne's mistake was forcing a blind throw into zone coverage, not staring a receiver down.  That's a situation where you just have to say **** it, the play didn't work, and then take what the defense gives you.  He was pressing, and it's the kind of mistake that a young QB who hasn't seen a lot of football makes.

• Like 5