Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

You know what I'm more worried about...

I didn't hear the presser, but that quote that SIP posted alludes to him throwing his OL under the bus and then completely passing off all blame by denying that he stared receivers down...

But that's not even the part that gets me. 

It's that we all saw him stare the receivers down... clear as day. And I'm a tad nervous that he honestly doesn't even realize he was doing it. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I didn't hear the presser, but that quote that SIP posted alludes to him throwing his OL under the bus and then completely passing off all blame by denying that he stared receivers down...

Hes a frontrunning chump who will deflect blame every chance he gets.  Remember last year it was his mystery "wrist" injury - its honestly pathetic.  Hes certainly not going to lead any NFL teams to success in his lifetime;  he just does not have the physical or mental tools to do so.  Should take one or two more games of failure before he removes himself with a "ankle" injury and is "carted" off the field.

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Have at it :D unfortunately i cant, according to his logic, so do me a favor and talk twice the amount of trash for me 

I’ve talked plenty today but I’ll do it again just for you.

Haskins is a terrible QB. Drafting him in the 1st round reeks of Snyder. 

The only reason Rivera will be trotting him out every week is to leave no doubt in Snyder’s mind that his is not an NFL QB. 

With any luck he won’t even be on an NFL roster next year. 

All bark, no bite.

The gameday thread opened my eyes to the fact that there are many WFT fans that are not happy with Haskins at qb. I don't even dislike him to the level they do, I just want to see Kyle Allen play. I watched him in his first few starts last year and if we got that Kyle Allen, that would be fun this year. I don't think our team is nearly as bad as some people are saying. The line held up for the most part today, receivers got open, Logan Thomas made players, RBs made some plays. We just gave the game away with turnovers.

CLEVELAND — Sunday had become a disaster for Washington Football Team quarterback Dwayne Haskins, perhaps the worst day of an NFL career that has seen more bad Sundays than good. Three of his passes had been intercepted by Cleveland Browns defenders, and another Browns player had knocked the ball from his hand for a lost fumble. He walked slowly past his teammates, his shoulders slumped, his head shaking.

Behind him, on the field, the Browns were about to score again, turning a once-hopeful afternoon for Washington into a 34-20 defeat. Beside him stood a man in a gray T-shirt screaming in his ear.

“It doesn’t matter if we’re down 40, I’m going to be on the sideline rooting you on and saying, ‘Let’s go get seven,’” Haskins would later remember Chase Young yelling.

...Now that joyous return to Ohio had been ruined, with Young hobbling to the locker room in the second quarter with a groin injury and Haskins watching his passes fly into the arms of three different Browns. It was about as awful as either could have imagined. But those words shouted by Young kept rattling in Haskins’s head after they had left the field.

“For a guy like that, somebody that I admire [for] his work ethic and have love for and is like a brother to me, to have the utmost respect and trust for me to get the job done . . . ” Haskins said, not quite finishing his thought. He seemed touched.

...The coach said he loved how Young came out of the locker room early in the second half, wearing black shorts and that gray T-shirt, and hobbled along the sidelines clapping his hands and shouting to teammates. No one would have been upset if Young had stayed in the locker room or lounged on the bench. The sight of the star pass rusher resting his injured leg wouldn’t have stirred anger.

But the fact Young kept pushing the other players even when he couldn’t play himself seemed to be an example of the “culture” Rivera constantly says he is trying to create. Even when things fall apart, everyone must keep looking forward. 

13 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

This is where I'm at as well.  IMO, it starts with accuracy followed by arm strength.  Who cares if you can read and manipulate defenses if you can't hit open receivers consistently.  In fact, I don't know if a QB can manipulate a defense if he can't hit open receivers.🤔 

Accuracy and arm strength are tied together, IMO.  If he's accurate, he knows when he can squeeze in a throw or hit a deep ball because his arm strength is what it is.  I agree with your point, a QB should be able to keep defenses honest if they're accurate.  

By far my favorite game of his and love that he will have this game to reflect and work to improve. 

Im dying for the organization to let him reach his ceiling or flounder this season and today the staff put a good amount responsibility in his hands to decide the outcome. He needs these kind of micro losses to reach macro long term ceiling potential. Hoping the trend of giving him more on his plate continues. 

The game plan from Turner was good with a mix of aggressiveness, seeking favorable matchups, stretching the field horizontally and vertically, consistent pace changes, and getting  the call in hands of the play makers on the team.

Much more encouraged for Haskins development long term than say the Eagles game. 

How he manages adversity is on him. 

Side note: Love the Thomas throw by the way, just floated it. Spielman saying he stared it down had nothing to do with the INT. Those passes are needed in today’s game, especially with the receiver not being able to be targeted. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

It's that we all saw him stare the receivers down... clear as day. And I'm a tad nervous that he honestly doesn't even realize he was doing it. 

Actually I think Dwayne is right, and that Jason Campbell should know better than to give takes without looking at film first.  On the first pick, you can clearly see that he read Logan Thomas in the flat before he went to Inman.  IMO the problem wasn't staring down Inman, it was that he read the coverage wrong.  I think he thought it was man coverage and that the LBer who made the play on the ball was man covering Sims, but that LBer was actually in zone and he handed off Sims.  If he'd actually been staring down Inman, he would have seen that linebacker breaking on the hook. 

On the second INT, the problem looked like a misread that led to a poor throw.  Looked like Logan Thomas read that coverage better and he adjusted his route to keep the post pattern skinny in order to avoid getting his head taken off by that safety who was lurking in that deep zone.  I think Dwayne didn't read the safety right and he assumed Thomas was going to flatten out his post like normal and he led him too much on the throw.  It was an issue of not being on the same page with their reads, not an issue of staring Thomas down.  This will be tough for people to take, but stuff like this is going to happen a lot with the offense this year, no matter the receivers or the QB who are playing.  It's going to be ugly, and it's a result of there being no mind-meld between the players yet.

On the third throw, it's pretty clear that the issue was he dropped his eyes to look at the rush.  He lost track of the field and he panicked and just floated the ball into that zone.  This was the most troubling mistake for me because it shows the rush is bothering him and he's lost some confidence in his protection and his sequencing.

That article pinned the sack-fumble on Dwayne too, but that was pretty clearly Geron Christian's fault.  That was a really bad set and he ended up Oleing Garrett straight to Dwayne.

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Actually I think Dwayne is right, and that Jason Campbell should know better than to give takes without looking at film first.  On the first pick, you can clearly see that he read Logan Thomas in the flat before he went to Inman.  IMO the problem wasn't staring down Inman, it was that he read the coverage wrong.  I think he thought it was man coverage and that the LBer who made the play on the ball was man covering Sims, but that LBer was actually in zone and he handed off Sims.  If he'd actually been staring down Inman, he would have seen that linebacker breaking on the hook. 

Disagree.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/malcolm-smith-picks-off-dwayne-haskins-to-put-the-browns-in-the-red-zone

If Thomas in the flats was his read, he should have thrown it. If he was looking at Thomas but decided to force the ball down field that's even more damning. To me, in that video, it looks as if Haskins is completely locked on, though. But either way there's not a good argument to be made that whatever Haskins did was a good decision. 

On the second INT, the problem looked like a misread that led to a poor throw.  Looked like Logan Thomas read that coverage better and he adjusted his route to keep the post pattern skinny in order to avoid getting his head taken off by that safety who was lurking in that deep zone.  I think Dwayne didn't read the safety right and he assumed Thomas was going to flatten out his post like normal and he led him too much on the throw.  It was an issue of not being on the same page with their reads, not an issue of staring Thomas down.  This will be tough for people to take, but stuff like this is going to happen a lot with the offense this year, no matter the receivers or the QB who are playing.  It's going to be ugly, and it's a result of there being no mind-meld between the players yet.

This is actually the first interception. 

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/can-t-miss-play-karl-joseph-punctuates-first-browns-int-with-wild-return

I agree that Thomas read the coverage and decided to keep it skinny. And actually upon watching it again, I think Haskins made the same read. The ball isn't far enough off to be a true post route. He led him too much, but it was both high and outside of him, but not enough for it to be read differently (unless he's that inaccurate...). He is locked on to Thomas the entire play. There are four Browns there and one WFT receiver. It was a bad read as well as a lock on. He threw that into four Browns. He has entirely too much confidence in his arm. That's a throw top QBs don't make there. And not necessarily because they don't trust their arm, but they don't want their tight end decapitated.

On the third throw, it's pretty clear that the issue was he dropped his eyes to look at the rush.  He lost track of the field and he panicked and just floated the ball into that zone.  This was the most troubling mistake for me because it shows the rush is bothering him and he's lost some confidence in his protection and his sequencing.

He locked on and underthrew it. He rushed his throw and he had protection. That is pretty bad. Agreed.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/b-j-goodson-intercepts-dwayne-haskins-pass-vs-washington-football-team

That article pinned the sack-fumble on Dwayne too, but that was pretty clearly Geron Christian's fault.  That was a really bad set and he ended up Oleing Garrett straight to Dwayne.

Agree. Christian's slow feet got slower as the game went on and fatigue set in. Garrett started slow because Christian was just moving well enough to slow him... once Christian wore down, Garrett took control of the game. That was completely on Christian. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

You know what I'm more worried about...

But that's not even the part that gets me. 

I disagree. I think that’s the best part. He doesn’t realize he’s a fraud so he’s not padding garbage time stats. He honestly thinks he can perform at this level. It’s kinda cute. Good news is he’s already been exposed. There is no benefit of the doubt or uncertainty. He is unequivocally a bust. No sugar coating it. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's sort of the thesis from PFF and that was even before today.  Personally I think its premature.  But PFF's two main points about Haskins of late which they have in two different articles are:

A. Accuracy typically isn't easy to fix

B. He struggles beyond the short passes

I am not throwing in the towel on Haskins.  I think he deserves the full season.  But I agree with PFF and Cooley among others that Haskins really struggles going down the field with rare exception.  A lot of our bigger plays have been YAC plays or at least so it seems to me.

https://www.pff.com/news/second-year-breakout-watch-5-players-who-look-set-for-a-breakout-year-5-players-who-have-taken-a-step-back

QB Dwayne Haskins, Washington Football Team

Instead of taking a step forward from the 67.0 passing grade he earned as a rookie, Haskins has taken a step back. Through two weeks, the Washington signal-caller has earned the second-lowest passing grade in the NFL, at 47.8. And while he's taken great care of the ball once again — his 1.9% turnover-worthy play rate ranked fourth in the NFL last year, while his mark of 1.3% ranks sixth in 2020 — the accuracy has been really concerning.

Haskins has thrown just four accurate passes beyond 10 yards downfield this year, while he already has 10 completely uncatchable throws at the same depth. This was an issue last season, too, as he had the fifth-worst accuracy rate on such throws.

Haskins currently ranks second-to-last in negatively graded throw rate and last in positively graded throw rate. And while he has had to throw into a tight window at a high rate, he's still not even hitting open receivers downfield. So far, Haskins has thrown just three accurate 10-plus-yard passes to receivers with a step of separation — he's attempted 12 such passes.

I would begin taking a peek at the 2021 quarterback class if I were Washington.

Didn't pff like him coming out of college? 

55 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Haskins has WOW and then WTF moments.  More WTF lately.  Browns scouted him well and unfortunately he did exactly whey they expected.  

What WOW moments? There has been nothing in any of his 10 games that made me say wow or take notice. 

2 minutes ago, dyst said:

What WOW moments? There has been nothing in any of his 10 games that made me say wow or take notice. 

Let’s not underestimate him. His taking selfies in the crowd instead of running the Ace formation was certainly a “wow” moment. You don’t give him enough credit. Don’t be a hater...

Archived