Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

He's bumped his total up to 8 good quarters of football now.  He's still largely an unknown.  So far there hasn't been a "yeah, he's going to be good" moment for me.  But I will take a win any way you can get it.  He did what needed to be done yesterday.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

He's bumped his total up to 8 good quarters of football now.  He's still largely an unknown.  So far there hasn't been a "yeah, he's going to be good" moment for me.  But I will take a win any way you can get it.  He did what needed to be done yesterday.  

I dont think we are going to get that moment from him for a while. Not consistently at least.  Honestly he doesn't have the experience to make it work with what hes got on the offense with him, or the talent to figure something else out in the mean time. I think he will continue to struggle this season. But I also expect he will strive to make the correct plays - rather his accuracy or his mechanics show up or not - and help us win rather than cause us to lose. There is a lot of middle ground for him to grow in there much like his mentor Smith. And if he can sit there and learn, we know he has the mindset and the arm talent to get better. So we will just have to wait for it to click for him. 

The leadership thing is encouraging. Its something else that can help him when his mechanics and accuracy fail. Its totally a thing he can use to his advantage. 

Keeping in mind that DH is still learning a new offense, he still seems a little off on his timing with his throws and he seems a little locked in on certain receivers on many plays. Once he gets more comfortable with the playbook and his teammates we should truly find out what we have in him. He still has a long way to go with his comfort level, pocket presence, etc...but he is competing hard and that is great to see. 

OBTW, Kurt Cousins lost again yesterday....

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

If you are looking for that moment, it might have come yesterday.  I think you might be looking for a dominant game, like a 400 yard, 4 touchdown performance, or some amazing clutch throw to win a game but, IMO, what separates the really good ones from the rest is finding a way to win when you don't have your best stuff.  I don't think Haskins had his best stuff yesterday, certainly not in the first half.  He stepped it up in the 2nd half, he completed more passes and, most importantly, he didn't turn the ball over.  

Like I said, he didn't have his best stuff but he still found a way to win a game.  And also, he was playing behind a poor O-line, too.  IMO, that's just as impressive as a big performance with gaudy stats and a line that can give him all day to throw.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, -JB- said:

The “new offense” excuse is tired.  He consistently misses targets down the field.

Agreed! New offense, has nothing to do with accuracy.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, -JB- said:

The “new offense” excuse is tired.  He consistently misses targets down the field.

Like who? He had some bad throws, but it's not like he had receivers running free all day. Given what Rivera said after the game about Turner, and his 2nd half performance, I believe play calling had a lot to do with the slow start. But if people want to complain about that 3/12 start--they have to give him credit for his 2nd half too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

He was not exactly missing a lot of open receivers. He chose to put the balls in safe places where only his WRs or noone could get it and there was no threat of a negative play. On a lot of his passes his guys were absolutely blanketed in coverage. There were only two or three truly bad throws that put the ball in harms way. It looked like his decision making was great

There was never a moment where he did something like overthrowing a guy running clean downfield like Wentz did several times.

He also willingly chose to throw a lot of balls away.

It was not some spectacular performance, but it was not bad either. He did what he had to do

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s honestly very difficult to separate the poor offensive line and lack of weapons from Haskins’ stats. You just won’t see much time to throw or much separation out there in this offense.

His stat sheet will look a lot uglier this season than it would if he was surrounded by stud weapons like Lock or Kyler. 

Still, his footwork and mechanics have to improve in order to reach this roster’s potential. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It’s honestly very difficult to separate the poor offensive line and lack of weapons from Haskins’ stats. You just won’t see much time to throw or much separation out there in this offense.

His stat sheet will look a lot uglier this season than it would if he was surrounded by stud weapons like Lock or Kyler. 

Still, his footwork and mechanics have to improve in order to reach this roster’s potential. 

This is where I’m at as well.  His downfield passes in the first half were close, and I don’t recall any wide open receivers he missed.  More than a couple throws looked poorly placed at first blush, but the replays showed he couldn’t have put it in front of the receiver safely.  Whether those were more on Dwayne for not looking defenders off or receivers not separating, I don’t know for sure.  

Obviously more game experience and time in the system will help Haskins and his receivers, but I think this is going to be a struggle all year.  

I did like the poise/resiliency/leadership we saw from Haskins.  

8 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

What happened in the locker room at half time may turn out to be as important as anything he did on the field.

I hope so. Its amazing to me that Ron would trust a player, any player, to give that speech down 17 in the home opener. To give it to Haskins, who we all know was not preforming well to that point is either luck or ****ing genius. The fact that it seems to have worked is....hard to believe honestly. 

Just now, Llevron said:

I hope so. Its amazing to me that Ron would trust a player, any player, to give that speech down 17 in the home opener. To give it to Haskins, who we all know was not preforming well to that point is either luck or ****ing genius. The fact that it seems to have worked is....hard to believe honestly. 

Hard to argue with the result. Twenty seven straight points on offense and a defensive shutout. 🤷‍♂️

One nitpick inaccuracy I saw yesterday... on the right sideline/seam pass to Inman and then the non PI call pass to Turbo, he is putting those ON A ROPE. Very tough catches, unless its a stop/back shoulder.  I think he needs a tiny bit of Brad Pennington grade loft on those. Flashing back to seeing Jason Campbell throwing missiles way over Santana's head.  Edit: and Moss turning to come back to the huddle before the ball would hit the ground.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2
20 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

One nitpick inaccuracy I saw yesterday... on the right sideline/seam pass to Inman and then the non PI call pass to Turbo, he is putting those ON A ROPE. Very tough catches, unless its a stop/back shoulder.  I think he needs a tiny bit of Brad Pennington grade loft on those. Flashing back to seeing Jason Campbell throwing missiles way over Santana's head.  Edit: and Moss turning to come back to the huddle before the ball would hit the ground.

Rivera just said essentially the same thing just now in hiss press conference. “I want to see Dwyane put more touch on some of his passes”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Rivera just said essentially the same thing just now in hiss press conference. “I want to see Dwyane put more touch on some of his passes”.

Thanks for sharing. I feel smart one day a year.

We can chalk up it up to nerves, youthful exuberance, or a rocket for an arm.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Thanks for sharing. I feel smart one day a year.

We can chalk up it up to nerves, youthful exuberance, or a rocket for an arm.

You got me as a fan Randy. Always like reading your takes.

Then again I think Raymond Chandler is a great writer so go figure. lol

• Thanks 1

I think one thing we forget is that this is Haskins's fifth start (I think that's right). Last year, was basically a wasted year and so the kid we drafted as a super-raw rookie QB prospect is still basically a rookie prospect.

Would like to see him clean up his mechanics and figure out his accuracy issues.

Forget 19, this is really Dwayne's first season. The coach saw enough to name him the starter. When Dwayne made that halftime speech that showed personal growth.

What we this year from Dwayne is that he gets better throughout the season. We want to know that he can be the franchise QB. If Dwayne fails to do that, he will not be here in 21.

He can certainly throw the ball, but I am not convinced he can pass it. People talk about separation, but you turn on other games and you see bang bang completions all day long.  You don't need receivers to be 5 yards or even a full yard away from the nearest defender to complete a pass.  

Hope he proves me wrong next week.