Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

That clip of Watson is a great example of when not to throw a jump pass.

He had beautiful blocking in that situation. He lost his footwork as he climbed the pocket, then threw a panic ball to a receiver. There are no scapegoats when something works, but if that poor form lead to an errant throw believe me, they would have let Watson have it on the sidelines.

Its not the fact that Watson, or any QB, throws a jump pass. Its they fact when they do it unnecessarily, instead of relying on good throwing mechanics. If Watson's footwork on that play was better he could have stepped into the throw and delivered it with his whole body, making a more reliable and repeatable motion, and increasing the chance of success.

12 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Was that writer just hungover, or realized oh crap he hadn't finished yet and the deadline was in 5 minutes?

5 minutes???  "Haskins started off looking like the worst QB in the league but rebounded over his last several starts to post respectable numbers.  He apparently put in a lot of work during the offseason (impressive weight loss), and is continuing to develop chemistry with his backs and receivers.  Still has to shake some limiting tendencies.  Expectation this season = slightly below average."

5 minutes?  AGG couldn't solve Rubik's cube before I wrote that up.  5 minutes?  Pffft.  That writer had Lazy, Arrogant, and Stupid on base and hit a grand slam.

25 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I mean hot takes can swing both ways. One has to be willfully ignorant to not at least see the positive steps Haskins has taken this off-season as far as preparation and work ethic. I guess we'll see, won't we.

Ok, i get your main point here but IG workout videos as a positive step  is a stretch. He’s working out like he’s expected to and like every other player in the league does. I follow a few athletes on IG and they all post the same videos in the summer lol. 

We know very little right now because of the Rona. I’m rooting for Dwayne but (like you said to be fair) Sunday is the only thing that’ll matter in terms of eval. Until then I’m pretty neutral with a slight slant towards the negative if I had to choose bc of his relative inexperience, being controversially drafted HERE as an inexperienced collegiate QB, and of course, Rona ruining his second year development. A lot of that is beyond his control unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Ok, i get your main point here but IG workout videos as a positive step  is a stretch.

I get your point too, and giving anyone in this organization the benefit of the doubt is dubious at best. I really don't pay any attention--good or bad--to those IG videos. Not since the Terrell Pryor experience. I pay more attention when Rivera says he's met or exceeded all the criteria, and teammates praise him--those aren't typically easily earned accolades--especially Rivera. But let's see it Sunday--I worry about the left side of the line and a lot of unproven talent all over the offense.

I dont care how the ball leaves Dwayne's hand as long as it gets out.

Doesn't matter if he does a 360 balancing on his pinky toe... get the ball out of his hands.

Also there will be much more pressure on Dwayne running the new offense. Much more play-action, motions, sweeps, options, etc. He'll have more on his plate under center mentally.

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

That clip of Watson is a great example of when not to throw a jump pass.

He had beautiful blocking in that situation. He lost his footwork as he climbed the pocket, then threw a panic ball to a receiver. There are no scapegoats when something works, but if that poor form lead to an errant throw believe me, they would have let Watson have it on the sidelines.

Its not the fact that Watson, or any QB, throws a jump pass. Its they fact when they do it unnecessarily, instead of relying on good throwing mechanics. If Watson's footwork on that play was better he could have stepped into the throw and delivered it with his whole body, making a more reliable and repeatable motion, and increasing the chance of success.

Yep to all that but, but these are the top QBs that do it. Not just the low tier players.

If Haskins does it, I hope heads don't explode.

The problem with just saying Haskins is the worst starting QB in the NFL and then thinking nothing else needs to be said is that it doesn't take context into consideration. Haskins arguably had the worst playing situation in the NFL as well, and it may not have even been close. It's like analyzing Mclaurin...yes, his stats were impressive for a 3rd round rookie, but considering he had mediocre play from 3 different QBs, two different head coaches with 2 different offensive schemes, and no viable receiving option opposite him to draw away attention, the fact tht he did as well as he did should boost any evaluation of his production. Grading rookies from the Skins' 2019 season should be graded on one serious ****ing curve lol...

26 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

If Haskins does it, I hope heads don't explode.

There are situations where it is the right call, like the play in FedEx where he was running from Chase.

But if he is standing in a clear pocket, has ample time to get his feet under him and still chooses to throw a jump pass, I don't care if it is Haskins, Watson, Mahomes or P. Manning, its poor mechanics. God help you if the throw is off target because the entire world will instantly know why

I don't want to see any QB with any regularity attempt what Watson did in that clip. Its like shooting a 30ft jumper when you can instead shoot a 20. Sure you can make it, but why would you make it harder on yourself.

Edit: I do expect it to happen this week for the record

3 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

5 minutes???  "Haskins started off looking like the worst QB in the league but rebounded over his last several starts to post respectable numbers.  He apparently put in a lot of work during the offseason (impressive weight loss), and is continuing to develop chemistry with his backs and receivers.  Still has to shake some limiting tendencies.  Expectation this season = slightly below average."

5 minutes?  AGG couldn't solve Rubik's cube before I wrote that up.  5 minutes?  Pffft.  That writer had Lazy, Arrogant, and Stupid on base and hit a grand slam.

You really can't blame him. WFT is the last team going by alphabetical order. So he mailed it in.

I bet most of the writers didn't watch the last couple of games of team battling for 1st pick in the NFL draft.

I like that Dwayne is a competitor. He will compete. That is all we ask of him. 

I also like the fact that the current coaching crew are professional coaches than the last crew before Coach Bill Callahan. We will be effective moving the ball. 

I am predicting an offense of "death by a thousand cuts". 

Me, I just want us to win some games, heck, a game in our division. 

I would love to see Dwayne fired up. After a big play scramble TD or win whatever. The team is ripe to be lopped onto someones shoulders and them lead us out of the ranks as the leagues laughing stock for the past decade.  Or 2.   Even Cleveland passed us a few years ago.

I expect a solid day for Haskins via quick passing / feeding the backs with a little TMC of course.

It looks like he has taken ownership of the huddle and he's in command of the offense.  Lots of little mistakes, and they're not sharp yet.  But they are definitely off to a good start.  Come back win against a division rival who is an experienced opponent that has won a SB together.  This is the kind of thing that helps you find your identity and your confidence as a team.

Archived