Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

13 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I just hope he wasn't slimming down so he could run more.  But I like it. Hope he takes this gig and runs with it

I think it's more for pocket mobility. We'd be fools to believe this line is good enough for him to be able to sit back and relax. This line will need quite a few improvements after this season. 

57 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I just hope he wasn't slimming down so he could run more.  But I like it. Hope he takes this gig and runs with it

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Pic

He is wasting away in front of our eyes. Hopefully the people around him are concerned enough to intervene.

Soon there will be nothing left for Zombie

I could see more option plays from Haskins this year. We had to use AP last season, now we will have Gibson. Could be scary.

13 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Too much arc and overthrowing is not an example of arm strength unless the ball is going 70 yards in the air.  More arc = less juice required to make it go far.

Agree.  I didn't say otherwise.  I said Haskins arm was stronger than Kirk.  Yet I said Kirk overthrew the deep ball and had more arc on the ball.  So my point lined up with yours on it.

13 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Flatter deep throws are an example of relying too much on arm strength.  It's situational and for most QB's, not ideal. 

They were often under thrown when I was watching him go deep.  It's not that I questioned his arm strength on that front but just sharing an observation.  Where i saw Haskins arm strength was on the intermediate throws where some  throws were clear bullets.

And as i mentioned, that deep throw that was showcased on twitter from Haskins a few days back was better than any deep ball I saw from him in camp.  So it was a good sign.  

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Wonder what he weighs now. He looks Griffin size from that picture, but that could be misconception.

He’s almost too small now. But time will tell.

I think he posted on twitter he was down to 217 or so. I'm not sure Griffin's size was the issue--his injury was pretty fluky. It was his head and ego, influenced and encouraged by Snyder and Allen. He dropped 7% body fat which is more important.

4 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Like he says: Just don’t be a fan later!
All these fence sitters and haters on here who hated on DH before and during the season prepping their arguments for when he balls.. LOL. Love it. 

It'd be pretty refreshing to see people eat crow and be able to enjoy him balling out instead of sticking to their broken water guns.  I'd much rather that happen.

Guys have to learn to be a pro, look at Tom Brady’s body coming into the league. Some never choose to put in the work and others do, it appears Haskins is on the right track. A natural progression for a young dude in general with any type of profession. 

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Excited to see Haskins develop. They’ll probably throw on a few pounds of muscle going forward. 220-225 sounds about right. Glad to see him putting in the work.

Watching Haskins total picture last year... not just his play but everything from his social media presence, mannerisms, his play, reports on work ethic, his awful organizational support structure...

I was not optimistic.

He has begun to change that viewpoint. He may be too small now... or maybe not... pictures don’t really ever do things the proper justice... but the fact that he trimmed down that much shows he’s been putting in the effort. 

The positive comments from Rivera. The tide turning in the front office. Haskins pure talent and ability which was not shown except for small flashes last year...

All of that combined puts me on the optimistic front. 

His off-season work and mind set has won me over. Excited to see what he does.

Dwayne has been showing the signs that he can be the guy for a franchise long term.  We have got to get him more pass catching talent that he can grow up with.  I wish we had a good, established vet who knows how the league works and knows how to beat good coverage.  I am envious of how the Cardinals were able to get DeAndre Hopkins for Kyler Murray.  That kind of move would have been big for us.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

All of that combined puts me on the optimistic front. 

His off-season work and mind set has won me over. Excited to see what he does.

I am in the same place.  To me there were some red flags last year.  But as Rivera flat out said he has transformed.  So him having a Rocky like off season or so it seems -- has me feeling optimistic. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We have got to get him more pass catching talent that he can grow up with.

At least we know the front office sees that as a critical issue as well. They swung hard at Cooper for that very reason. I think we would have been bigger players in a trade market if the Pandemic didn’t guarantee a drop in the cap next year. The more time that past, the less likely teams were to stack money onto next season as it became more and more obvious that the cap ceiling was going to crash.

McL is a W and I think Sims locks down the slot moving forward, but that is not quite enough

Unless AGG or AG go absolutely crazy, I figure this would be potential priority 1 next offseason. Rest assured that if one of them managed to ball out of their mind, Zombie would be all over that fumble recovery tho.

Call me crazy, but looking at potential targets I can see one that I never thought possible before.

A lot of the best Free Agent wide receivers are coming from teams loaded in cap space (Keean Allen, Ty Hilton) so even with the shrinking ceiling, these teams will be able to retain those players. I don’t think the current FA crop of receivers will produce the kind of impact player we are looking for.

Looking over receivers who’s names are constantly on the trade block, one stands out, OBJ.

Why does he stand out? CLE is already allocated $183 mil for the 2021 season, so there is a decent chance they will already be at or above next years salary cap. Another reason is their ridiculously inexperienced head coach who is running into a team of personality buzzsaws. I fully expect the browns to once again crash and burn.

OBJ has three years left on his deal, but no more Guaranteed money. I don’t expect him to sit quietly, He will want a new deal.

I’m also willing to bet we will over look his “diva” personality as I believe there was credible smoke to the rumors about us and Diggs. If we were cool with Diggs (He who wears another teams gear!!!) we’d be cool with OBJ.

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I’m also willing to bet we will over look his “diva” personality as I believe there was credible smoke to the rumors about us and Diggs. If we were cool with Diggs (He who wears another teams gear!!!) we’d be cool with OBJ.

I'm not a big fan of OBJ, so I wouldn't be in favor of trading for him.  I would pretty much rather have any of the other top WRs in the league than him, but so would their NFL teams, which is why they aren't realistic acquisition targets and he might be.

He's a clown who isn't an attention to detail type.  He hasn't really gotten better since his first couple of years in the league.   I don't think he fits in with a good team culture, and I don't think Rivera would like him at all.  I would have rather had Diggs than OBJ even though he's not as good as OBJ.  Diggs has a big mouth, but he's a serious competitor who can keep it together and act like a pro.

We definitely need way more than Sims and McLaurin and the rest of our unproven group.  What we have right now is a bunch of kids who don't know what they don't know yet, including Haskins.  They have raw talent, but none of them know what it takes to truly win at this level.

Losing Harmon was a bigger blow than people realize.  Unproven as he was, he and Dwayne at least had chemistry, which can make up for a lack of experience.  When I walk up to the line of scrimmage and it's "damned if can tell what this coverage is, but ****, we definitely have the wrong play called for that safety look and that leverage so... **** it, I'm going to go to Harmon in the slot."  We lost that with Harmon going down.  He was the guy you trust to go off script along with you and still be right there in the same page with you when necessary.

If we’re talking big name receivers who have some issues, I’m with Steve in having no interest in OBJ.

I’d rather take a flier on Antonio Brown. Brown is much more of a head case, but the guy is precise in what he does on the field. And that’s why he always finds ways to be productive.

Granted I don’t want him either... but at some point we run into the Receiver Paradox where every receiver has some arrogance in them and parsing them becomes more about tolerating character traits than not having them.

Sure, there are guys who aren’t on that level that are great receivers, but getting them is akin to finding a unicorn.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I’d rather take a flier on Antonio Brown. Brown is much more of a head case, but the guy is precise in what he does on the field. And that’s why he always finds ways to be productive.

Granted I don’t want him either... but at some point we run into the Receiver Paradox where every receiver has some arrogance in them and parsing them becomes more about tolerating character traits than not having them.

AB is an attention to detail tyoe.  He is a truly great player, but unfortunately, I think he is no longer fit for being a reliable pro.  Something really bad happened to him that drastically changed his personality, to the point where I don't think he needs to be playing football right now.  It seems an awful lot like he has some sort of CTE like disease.

You're right that arrogance is practically a prerequisite for being a great NFL receiver.  I'm a believer that you have to be crazy to thrive at that position in this completely crazy game and league. you must be hyper aggressive and there can be no fear or self doubt when you walk onto the field.  You have to be ready to make the play at all times.  But the ones who become great are the smart ones who can see the big picture and set those natural narcissistic personality traits aside to read what the coverages are doing, read what their QBs are reading, and deduce what adjustments they need to make.  They need to be able to constantly seek out ways to get better.  And they can manage their emotions so that they can bury frustration when the game and ball aren't going their way and still stay locked in and maintain their competitive intensity.  Still be ready to make the play when their offense needs them.

OBJ has way too much of a history of acting up or checking out when he's upset.  He's not a serious competitor despite his enormous natural talent.  It's frustrating that he hasn't really gotten much better than he was as a second year player.  You can't watch him and see that the game has become slow for him and he is now a master who dictates the action on the field against all but the very best DBs like you can with the other great receivers who made that leap in the middle of their careers.  If he were wired that way, he would probably be the best WR in the NFL right now, and there is no way the Giants would have cut bait on him.

Archived