Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Zampese is the #1 key to Haskins' success or failure here imo. I really hope we don't allow him to be hired away after a year or two if things go well, it seems Kitchens benefited and took credit for a lot of the work Zampese did improving Mayfield's game in CLE. 

Kyle Allen is still quietly sitting away in the background. Haskins and Allen, two very young QBs but that has the makings of a really good QB competition. Allen was a good pick up for a 5th rounder. His knowledge of the system brings that competitive edge that must be driving Haskins on more. 

That’s a pretty good set-up for this season to see what we have.

16 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Kyle Allen is still quietly sitting away in the background. Haskins and Allen, two very young QBs but that has the makings of a really good QB competition. Allen was a good pick up for a 5th rounder. His knowledge of the system brings that competitive edge that must be driving Haskins on more. 

That’s a pretty good set-up for this season to see what we have.

Agree here..alot of folks knocking on allen..i remember last year him winning what 5 out of 7 games?. not sure what happened from there lol..he knows the system...two words for ya

Ryan Tannehill(not sure on the spelling there)

On 7/30/2020 at 4:01 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

Zampese is the #1 key to Haskins' success or failure here imo. I really hope we don't allow him to be hired away after a year or two if things go well, it seems Kitchens benefited and took credit for a lot of the work Zampese did improving Mayfield's game in CLE. 

I like this post..completely agree..Nahh we win some games things take a turn for the better and coaches will finally wanna stay here..for more than just money.

33 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Agree here..alot of folks knocking on allen..i remember last year him winning what 5 out of 7 games?. not sure what happened from there lol..he knows the system...two words for ya

Ryan Tannehill(not sure on the spelling there)

Eh, Allen is ok but he has much less pure talent as a passer than Haskins and he was also wildly inconsistent in Carolina last season. He'd look like Tom Brady one game and then go out and pull a Ryan Leaf in the next. I feel like he's mostly an insurance policy in case Haskins takes a turn for the worse and busts since we literally had nobody else on the roster after Keenum left, Colt lost his one man fan club in Gruden, and Alex's status was still completely unknown. Allen's upside is pretty limited IMO. But he's still pretty young so I could certainly be wrong. 

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Eh, Allen is ok but he has much less pure talent as a passer than Haskins and he was also wildly inconsistent in Carolina last season. He'd look like Tom Brady one game and then go out and pull a Ryan Leaf in the next. I feel like he's mostly an insurance policy in case Haskins takes a turn for the worse and busts since we literally had nobody else on the roster after Keenum left, Colt lost his one man fan club in Gruden, and Alex's status was still completely unknown. Allen's upside is pretty limited IMO. But he's still pretty young so I could certainly be wrong. 

Good stuff here..that's why I mentioned Ryan Tannehill..that's what he reminded me of in Miami..off and on...who knows we shall see

Hard not to see the similarities of the RG3-Cousins scenario. Man, I watched Kyle Allen in the mid part of last season throwing the ball like a seasoned vet. He fell off toward the end, maybe teams figured him out.

But yea, There is no doubt in my mind this will be a competition

2 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Hard not to see the similarities of the RG3-Cousins scenario. Man, I watched Kyle Allen in the mid part of last season throwing the ball like a seasoned vet. He fell off toward the end, maybe teams figured him out.

Now that you mention it, the similarity is pretty startling, with the exception being Allen was originally undrafted, Kirk was a 4th round pick.  Even if the 'Skins gave up a 5th to get him, that's after playing several games, and it was pretty clear he projects more to a solid backup than potential starter.  At least right now.

Also, I don't think Ron would have traded the 5th for Kyle Allen without a conversation with him to make sure he was good with a backup role.  Compete, sure, but the chances are you're backing up Haskins.  

The biggest difference, though, is the difference in Haskins vs. Griffin personality wise.  

Griffin felt threatened by Cousins from the absolute get-go. Because Cousins was a more polished drop back QB, because he was picked in the 4th round, and because Griffin didn't like the thought of ANYBODY being around which could threaten him.  He was incredibly insecure, given the fact the 'Skins traded 2 additional first round picks and a second round pick to pick him up.  

I don't think Haskins is going to feel threatened by Allen.  While Griffin was handed everything on day 1, Haskins almost had exactly the opposite situation: He was drafted by a coach and coaching staff who actively didn't want him, and spent 5 months ignoring him. The new coach came in and immediately said they needed to see leadership and growth from Haskins.  Even in college, Haskins also wasn't given the starting job at Ohio State, he had to earn it.  He's used to being in competitions.  Griffin never was.

So, the dynamic between the two is probably going to be different.  Haskins is probably not fretting having Allen around, and believes he should win any competition with Allen outright anyway.  

4 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

I really don't see that at all, but to each their own.

RG3, athlete, scrambler, moving pockets, pistol formation, not a pocket passer.

Kirk Cousins, pocket passer who likes quick reads and gets the ball out.  Doesn't really make off script plays.

Haskins is a pocket passer.  Gifted arm talent.

Kyle Allen is a pocket passer (right?) Mediocre arm talent.

Not seeing the competition angle either.  But again, to each their own.

5 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

I was not impressed with Allen, when he lost to Football Team.

17 hours ago, mistertim said:

Cousins was also wildly inconsistent in his first year or two, so I think Allen really could develop in to a avg to above avg starter.. possibly more. Don't be fulled, Riviera definitely hedged his bets by bringing in Allen.. knowing that if Haskins does not look good, behave, etc.. he can easily replace him with a viable starter. Hasksins should absolutely view Allen as a threat. This is a guy that is young, knows the O system well, and has shown ability to perform at a high level. Its a win win for us.. either Hasksins hears the footsteps and works hard to bring his game to the next level... or he falters and we see if Allen could continue to perform... either way it should clear up draft options for next year

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Kirk Cousins, pocket passer who likes quick reads and gets the ball out.  Doesn't really make off script plays.

I think it's more situational:

Griffin - First rounder

Cousins - Fourth Rounder

Haskins - First Rounder

Allen - *Fifth rounder

Griffin had to learn to be a pocket QB, Cousins didn't.  

Haskins has to learn this offense, Allen knows it.

Griffin - favorite of the owner

Cousins - that guy who's also on the team

Haskins - Owner picked him over the advice of the "football people."

Allen - that guy who's also on the team

Situationally there are similarities.  

Practically, I think Griffin and Haskins are very different people.  I also think Rivera is MUCH better equipped to handle any disagreement than Shanahan or Gruden were.  

19 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I said similarities. not identicals.

VoR basically outlined the similarities. I have been and still am a huge Haskins fan and feel he is leaps and bounds better QB than RG3 was. But there are this eerily similarities. 

Frankly, with the work Haskins seemingly has put in and his preexisting talent, I don't see much manifesting. But if a glimmer of doubt sets in than I can see something 'similar' manifesting. 

I will stand by Allen's potential for being a very competent or even good QB in this league

22 hours ago, Die Hard said:

That’s racist!!! 😜

Nah, I ran it by internet filter site 'Is this racist.com'. Came out clean, its legit

11 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

For background, Riddick has always been high on Haskins. I believe he had Haskins as his #1 QB going into the draft. So this is not exactly ground breaking stuff considering the source.  

9 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I know he's on MNF now and all but Riddick just always feels like he's still angling for our GM job lol

My God how far MNF has fallen.  From the iconic days of Frank Gifford, Howard Cosell, Don Meredith to Al Michaels, Frank Gifford, Dan Dierdorf to Al and John Madden, all were iconic groups.  Even Tirico and Jon Gruden were really good.  

Now we have Steve Levy, who's an ok play by play guy, Brian Griese, who was mostly a bad NFL QB and is honestly most famous because his dad was a great NFL QB, and Louis Riddick, who is an out of work front office guy. It's so "meh."  Nobody really interesting, no real big name or draw, it's just a really ho-hum collection of average TV personalities.  

I mean, it's probably better than the group they've had the last couple of years, but the MNF group used to be the absolute top announcing group in football, and this group would probably qualify as the "C" (maybe) or more likely "D" team on either Fox or CBS right now. And definitely behind the SNF crew of Michaels/Tirico and dumbass.  Because even with dumbass, Michaels/Tirico are just SO much better than any of the MNF crew, it's not funny.  And Michaels lost his fast ball 10 years ago, and he's still better.  (FWIW, I can stand Collinsworth more than others, he used to be really good, but I think he's gotten lazier over the years and is just not as prepared. Hence I just refer to him as dumbass.)

Fox's top 3 NFL crews as of last year were:

Joe Buck/Troy Aikman (both since 2006)/Erin Andrews (sideline reporter)
Kevin Burkhardt/Daryl Johnston/Pam Oliver (sideline reporter)
Kenny Albert/Jonathan Vilma/rotating sideline reporters

I actually liked Albert and Vilma in one or two of the games I saw them do.  I actually really like Daryl Johnson as a commentator.  I might have been the only one, but I really liked the "Kenny, Moose and Goose" booth from a years gone by.  Johnson is a bit of a Cowboys homer, but I have liked him in the booth.  

I'd put the MNF crew behind all three of those crews.  

CBS (from 2019):
Jim Nantz/Tony Romo/Tracy Wolfson/Jay Feely
Ian Eagle/Dan Fouts/Evan Washburn
Greg Gumbel/Trent Green/Melanie Collins
Kevin Harlan/Rich Gannon/Amanda Balionis (week 1), Jay Feely (week 2) or Dana Jacobson (week 3) or John Schriffen (week 4)
Andrew Catalon/James Lofton/Jay Feely (week 1)
Spero Dedes/Adam Archuleta/A.J. Ross (week 4)
Tom McCarthy/Jay Feely
Beth Mowins/Tiki Barber

I think the MNF crew slots in under Greg Gumbel and Trent Green. 

It's shocking how far the booth has fallen.  

10 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I know he's on MNF now and all but Riddick just always feels like he's still angling for our GM job lol

He sticks up for Haskins.  He stuck up for Lamar Jackson too before the NFL world figured out he was good.  I think he pushes back against some of the bias against young black QB prospects in his industry.  As a black personnel man, I think he sees through that bias better than a lot of his white colleagues.  He was the biggest voice I can remember listening to in 2018 that said "put on the the tape of Lamar, he was pocket passing in a behind center offense at Louisville."  He is being a little rah rah here with Dwayne, but Dwayne could use a media figure in his corner.  These guys can shape perception about young players, especially on teams that nobody watches like ours.

My feeling about the Kyle Allen acquisition is that he is quality back up QB insurance that can save a season from falling apart if Dwayne goes down.  But he is a different QB from Dwayne, and the offense will change a bit with him behind center.  I believe his skillset dictates that you go shotgun heavy and spread the field wide and trade verticality for a quick, horizontally spaced out pass game.  He's a good runner and he should be utilized as part of an option heavy run game too.

22 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Hence I just refer to him as dumbass.  

Completely agree here..about the whole monday night crew. And yes collinsworth is a dumbass, I got to hang out with him one day..him and Merrill Hodge..haha chris is a goof ball

Archived