Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

On 7/17/2020 at 11:31 AM, wit33 said:

My worry is that pushing the ball and wanting to be a difference maker gets coached out of him and he just becomes a middle of the road QB (ho hum), but middle of the road QB on a rookie deal has tremendous value, though I’d be a tad disappointed.

My biggest concern is that Dwayne will fall out of favor in the offense and they go with Kyle Allen instead because he can run.  A passing game that's really heavy on short stuff peppered with occasional four verts stuff in order to try and beat cover 3 can work, but if you have a weak OL, then a running QB makes a really big difference.  Especially if you're trying to vary your run looks out of shotgun.  IMO, one of the things Dwayne is going to have to do this season is establish himself as at least a credible threat to run and pick up good yardage on zone read.  He doesn't need to be Lamar Jackson or DeShaun Watson or Kyler Murray, but at least like a Baker Mayfield type run threat would be big.  And he's going to need to demonstrate consistency with his touch and placement on short game throws because probably four of our five best weapons are running backs (Peterson, Guice, McKissic, Gibson).  Throw Bryce Love in there too if he gets healthy.  He needs to be able to effortlessly get them the ball in stride.

Frickin Gardner Minshew would probably be a really good fit in this system.  Big picture and long term, I too hope we get the kind of WR and OL talent necessary for Dwayne to be able to drop back into the pocket and launch lasers all over the field.  We're not there right now, and I don't think that's what the offense will look like next season.

This new offense is probably going to take adjustment from a lot of really good players though.  For example, I think Scherff isn't going to get the chance to do nearly as much power man run blocking, where he is one of the best guys in the NFL at doing that stuff.  Should be much more zone blocking, and he's going to have to show he's still highly valuable to us without getting to do so much high difficulty highlight run blocking in order to justify signing a big contract with us.

Another example is AP.  He's going to have to show really good blocking too IMO, as both a lead blocker and pass blocker, because he's not going to get to do a lot of the motioning and catching out of the backfield that other guys will since he's probably the worst receiver among our backfield group.  I'm not sure our new offense is a great fit for him unfortunately, I think this could be his final season with the team.  Sooner than later, we're going to need other RBs to step up and fill his shoes.

Nowhere close to enough speed— I want WRs 4, 5, and a practice squad guy or two who all run sub 4.4s. Never wish injury on a guy, but hoping Harmons injury leads to a speed guy taking his spot. 

I agree with you, but different types of players can play different roles though.  Speed with versatility to play both on and off the line and inside and outside like McLaurin is the ideal, but it'd also be nice to have slot guys who can do some blocking, especially if we're going run heavy.  That's one of the ways losing Harmon hurts.  Sims is tiny and won't even be a speed bump for a decent alley defender and he's not going to be cutting off backside pursuit.  I'd still happily take a big slot who is slow so long as he's a high effort blocker.

Completely lost on what to think about the Oline, I’ve been spoiled with average to above average play from the Oline for years and have lost perspective on what a bad Oline looks like lol. I’m higher than most on Moses, which provides me confidence with the right side is in good shape and center is serviceable. The left side, I’ll continue to listen and learn about who’s projected to fill those spots, but with the right side being able to compete in their 1 on 1s the left side can receive help when and if needed. 

The other huge factor is the creativity of the scheme, come on Turner!! 

You're right, the creativity of the scheme is a huge factor.  Turner has some playmakers in the backfield.  Figuring out how to turn them into a coherent offense won't be easy but NFL coaches are pretty incredible.  He can do it, and if he does, then they can take a lot of pressure off our blockers up at the line (including the TEs and WRs, where we're almost certainly going to have issues).  AP, Guice, and Gibson are the types of guys who can make their own hay.  They can deal with backside and alley defenders on their own either by going around or through them so long as we can get the force guys blocked.

The RB room is the real deal and we all have our fingers crossed for health of Guice. He’s dynamic in every way and compliments any style of play or situation. I like Mckissic, even more than a Chris Thompson (admittedly, I’ve always been down on the Thompson hype) due to rare ability to make guys miss. I think he’s a lock to make the team. 

Forget who posted the stats, the offensive formation 3Wr/2Rb was rarely used by NFL teams (something like 20-40times, don't quote me on that). The idea of Guice and Gibson in the backfield with Mcclaurin, Sims, and another speed guy is a cool hypothetical. What are your thoughts on a formation such as this: why isn’t used? Pros and cons? 

I don't know the numbers about 20 personnel's use in the NFL either, but assuming your estimate is right, my guess would be that it was more common to motion into a split back look rather than to line up that way.  Would that still count as 20 personnel then?  One of your "RBs" in that situation would have started out as a WR or H-Back.

Shotgun split back formations are fairly common in the college game.  Teams use them to run option plays, particularly if they have a good running QB.  And they do a lot of throws into the flats from them or use the formations to cut the field in half for their QBs by doing levels concepts where everyone is flowing play-side so the QB doesn't have to sit back and do a lot of tougher whole field progression reading.  The concept is to trade off vertical spacing for horizontal spacing by giving defenses way more run looks to have to account for--disguising the potential mesh points in handoffs and forcing defenses to account for runs to both sides of the field.  Also gives you a lot of option looks for either side of the field.

So let's say you're right that straight up 20 personnel split back formations aren't common in the NFL any more, I'd guess the reason for that is because you're losing a blocker in the run game from it.  NFL defenders are so much faster and more aggressive in the way they manage their shifts and read their keys and they're way better at tackling when flowing outside.  The advantage you gain from having that second runningback force the backside or playside defenders sit on their RB assignment for a moment as the play design reveals itself in the backfield isn't enough to compensate for not being able to get a hat on that guy.

But I can see motioning to 20 personnel being a different animal, especially if your "H" is a true WR/RB hybrid like Antonio Gibson, Christian McCaffrey, and Curtis Samuel are.  That forces the defense to sub out a big hat for a little hat because you have to put speed on the field to cover a guy like them.  So that makes your match ups on the outside more favorable for runs and short throws into those gaps and zones.

The cons of the look are, as previously mentioned, you're losing a blocker when you put an extra guy in the backfield.  You can have some designs where the other back lead blocks for the QB or the runner, but that's not going to work for every look and the runner isn't as well positioned to block effectively as a guy at the line or in the slot.  The other trade off is losing vertical spacing to gain the horizontal spacing.  The runner in the backfield is in a far worse position to threaten a defense deep than someone starting from the slot or a split end alignment.

You can compensate for the loss of the blocker if your QB is a legit running threat on the option plays.  And you can compensate for the diminished verticality if your RBs are legit passing game threats like Gibson and McKissic are.  Gibson, for all intents and purposes, is a fast big slot first and RB second.  He's a unique weapon and he'll be the key to making 20 personnel looks actually highly threatening to a defense.  He has the potential to be a Percy Harvin type that is an elite weapon as an "H," but hopefully has better durability due to being bigger.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

If Haskins is in the top 10 we win the NFC East.. and i'm not afraid to say it.  

Good...you shouldn't be..it's what I was gonna go with..and it's how I truly feel..I keep envisioning the defense swarming the qb...empty stadiums..our defense feeds off of it..led by the man Rivera!!

We've done our best to ruin Haskins's career, broke every rule of how to develop a franchise QB prospect in the book.  But the one thing going for him is the owner has been in his corner.  People act like that's a bad thing, but it's not.

Wanted to say that Haskins could definitely play at a high individual level next season and the team could still be lousy.  It takes far more than good quarterbacking to win.  Hopefully Haskins makes a leap and plays well, but hopefully its part of a wave where the rest of the team does too. That's the only way we turn a corner and become competent and competitive.

I’ve definitely been over critical of Haskins in the past. His attitude this offseason has won me over somewhat. Hopefully he delivers the goods and entrenches himself as a true #1 QB. That would be a significant milestone in rebuilding this franchise.

The point below seems on point.  i was concerned with the stories about the dude during the last season as to his level of commitment but he seems to have transformed in a big way.  

17 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’ve definitely been over critical of Haskins in the past. His attitude this offseason has won me over somewhat. Hopefully he delivers the goods and entrenches himself as a true #1 QB. That would be a significant milestone in rebuilding this franchise.

Yeah me too, ditto.  When you got Keim among others echoing those stories, I believed them.  Still do.  An Ohio State reporter also had a story along those lines.   But he seems to have done a 180 and its got my jazzed.    I think having Chase around might keep the fire burning too -- reading about Chase he has a maniac level commitment to being great.   And the two are friends. 

My opinion on Haskins and preparation is this:  some peoples' brain chemistry is such that they are focused/productive and even manic sometimes when it's "for real".  When it's "not for real", even if it's important because they are the backup, they lose focus and productivity.  Ever hear of ADD?  (I'm not saying he's ADD; I'm saying that some people have a very hard time focusing/producing when they're not "on".)  It's a matter of neurotransmitters, and not everyone's the same way.  It's not as if people with ADD can't focus on anything -- they can focus on what they really, really enjoy (i.e., what gives them a nice dopamine release).  Some guys thrive in practice as the 5th WR though they rarely see the field but then can't perform if they manage to get into a game because they're not that good.  Look at the progress Haskins made last season after he became a starter.  Didn't a similar thing happen at TOSU where he went from not knowing the playbook as a bencher to an incredible season when he was actually up to bat?  I have no doubt that if Haskins had had this much prep going into last season and was the annointed starter, he'd already be mediocre.  At this point, it's about continuing to develop his footwork, touch, and timing, and those things take reps.  I, too, am jazzed about his future as the QB of the Washington FT.

He’s started 7 games in his career!!!!! 7. Keep things in perspective. No matter what has happened in the lead up to this season Haskins still has it all in front of him. All of it. Sky’s the Limit with him. Said it from the get go. Be patient people. If after 32 games he’s not developed then ok move on, but until then sit back and enjoy the ride. I expect big growth and development from our young gunna..

That's a pretty interesting observation there @GothSkinsFan. People with ADD need to study extra hard and figure out a way to "reward" themselves when it comes to studying.

I got diagnosed with it as a kid and it took me a long time to figure out a successful way for me to study. (Quiet room, written quizzes where I fold the paper in half). For me, and I'm not sure it's like this with all ADD people, there's something about ink to paper that helps things stick in the brain better. 

Not if Dwayne is like that or not, but if he is the best thing he can do is tell the coaches so they can help him with studying habits. He's got all the talent in the world.

7 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Look at the progress Haskins made last season after he became a starter.  Didn't a similar thing happen at TOSU where he went from not knowing the playbook as a bencher to an incredible season when he was actually up to bat?  I have no doubt that if Haskins had had this much prep going into last season and was the annointed starter, he'd already be mediocre.  At this point, it's about continuing to develop his footwork, touch, and timing, and those things take reps.  I, too, am jazzed about his future as the QB of the Washington FT.

Definitely could be.  A Ohio State reporter shared a story similar to the rap on Haskins here when he was on the bench at Ohio State that made him come off as not the hardest worker.  There were even a little whispers about him pre-draft in that regard. 

As I mentioned, meeting him for a brief time in a few settings granted for just a minute or two and watching him interact with fans including my kids -- he came off like a super nice guy, good dude.  My concern with him though as Cooley likes to say most of his teammates didn't love football (he goes maybe 30% of them did) so I wondered if that point pertained to Haskins. A series of stories last year including from sources I 100% trust (local and national) painted a pretty strong picture that made you wonder. 

But this off season seems night and day.  Rivera saying his personality transformed fits all the clips and stories we keep hearing.  ADD?  Maybe.  But it could also just be maturing and the light switched on.  It's gone beyond to me just that's how he rolls and was like that at Ohio State, too, etc.  He wasn't (unless I missed it) in this kind of shape at Ohio State.  Heck part of the whispers of his work ethic pre-draft pertained to him coming to the combine out of shape (or so was the perception of some who said you could see he was out of breath, etc)

I follow the NY sports pages a lot because they cover my favorite baseball team so I read plenty about the NY sports teams.  And for awhile there was a lot of hype that the Giants would take Haskins.  But that somewhat cooled off in some quarters (but not others) at least as the draft approached.  And I recall it was either a sports writer or broadcaster who said what sold the Giants about Jones (referring to over Haskins) was superior intangibles.  I recall during the season a Giants reporter on talk radio saying how the Giants brass is in love with Jones because of how hard he works, in the building some days at 4:30 AM, etc. 

Pre draft, I didn't think much of it at the time.  I had some concerns about Haskins the prospect but not so much his intangibles in part because he had some people like Orlovsky who worshipped him.  He also had his own good rap about how he was doing film preparation.   And he was obviously a smart dude.  But as a draft geek who eats up draft news like candy, I do recall the few whisper stories that questioned his work ethic.

And heck Doug, Scott Turner and Rivera hinted heavily early this off season that they'd like to see the dude work harder.  For me buying into those previous stories is what makes me so optimistic now.  Rivera saying the dude's personality has transformed seems exactly how this narrative looks.  The dude seems to have like a Rocky level of commitment now.  So for me now my optimism about him is really high.  

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-sports-combine-standouts-dwayne-haskins-20190305-story.html

Armed with the knowledge that Kyler Murray wasn’t going to throw, and given that the other quarterbacks in this class had practically zero name value, Dwayne Haskins had a real chance to steal the show at this year's NFL Scouting Combine.

Instead, Haskins looked like that super smart kid in your English class you know didn’t study a lick but sticks a solid B+ on the midterm.

Show up, throw the ball, and duck out of town.

Haskins slogged through the 40 in 5.04 seconds, looking about as fast as dial-up. For reference, Peyton Manning ran the 40 in 4.8 seconds, Ben Roethlisberger in 4.75. Haskins' time was so bad his PR team immediately let reporters know Haskins had leg cramps during the run.

Speed is not central to Haskins game, of course. That is not the issue here. It's more that the showing was so underwhelming that it seems to dictate how seriously he took what was essentially a job interview.

...But he didn’t get himself into phenomenal shape, he didn’t rip off massive throws and quite honestly he didn’t look all that engaged in the entire process. I mean hell, we didn’t even get the requisite planted stories about how he blew away one or two general managers with how well he interviewed. There was zero buzz. There was more excitement surrounding Kyler Murray and for what? Being an inch taller than expected???

There’s enough there to let even casual observers know Haskins has got the goods. At 6-foot-3, 230 pounds he has the prototypical size. The game tape shows a guy with a NFL-caliber arm. And by all accounts he sounds like a very nice and intelligent young man.

It wasn't a terrible combine showing, but "not terrible" is a massive disappointment for a prospect like Haskins. It was the bare minimum from an uber-talented quarterback.

On 7/25/2020 at 1:41 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

We've done our best to ruin Haskins's career, broke every rule of how to develop a franchise QB prospect in the book.  But the one thing going for him is the owner has been in his corner.  People act like that's a bad thing, but it's not.

I get fans concerns about the owner on this front.  Dan's tendency to want to make players his pals hasn't always resulted in good things for team chemistry including empowering the coaches.   So hopefully his admiration for Haskins remains purely on field without any lets hang social stuff. 

Also, Dan's instincts on QBs hasn't always been stellar, too.  I recall the stories about him insisting on them taking Patrick Ramsey.  The WP stories about him having a massive man crush on Brady Quinn and it took the Redskins scouts a week to talk him out of it. The failed attempt to trade up for Mark Sanchez.  Him discarding Brad Johnson for Jeff George.  And other stories.  As we know, he's run a mostly losing organization for 20 years so he doesn't exactly have the Midas touch. 

It's better for Dan to stay out of the QB business or for that matter personnel period.  My take on that is that includes even when it comes to the players I agree with him about.  The dude is obviously no wiz when it comes to personnel.  Let Kyle Smith and Rivera and Scott Turner sort it out.  I'd like Dan out of the player-personnel business aside from writing the checks. 

I respect your opinion on Haskins and just in general of course on the draft thread.  You've arguably been his biggest fan.  I've been back and forth on Haskins. I love all the reports about his off season so got high hopes.  I've watched him for about 7 practices in camp.  And based on what I observed there and also in his spot duty last year IMO a main thing he has to do is work on throws in the flat around the numbers.  

You might recall I killed Daniel Jones on the draft thread that draft season.  But I have to grudgingly admit Jones frequently throws text book perfect throws in the flat.  He throws them just ahead of the receiver who catches them in stride and sets them up perfectly for YAC.  I watched Haskins probably simulate 300 some odd passes like that (Jay ran thoses passes a ton in the camps I watched and they did it over and over again) and Haskins really struggled with them.  He'd throw it mostly either right at the receiver so the receiver had to pause or step back as opposed to move forward or he'd throw it behind the receiver. I recall Harmon in particular bail out Haskins' errant throws.  Keenum wasn't as bad but he wasn't hot at it either.  I am not a big Colt McCoy guy but he nailed that pass.  Great touch. and hit the receivers in stride. 

My thought is if he conquers that and the improved footwork that entails as to turning his body-feet -- sky's the limit. Because he's really accurate in between the numbers.    

7 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

He’s started 7 games in his career!!!!! 7. Keep things in perspective. No matter what has happened in the lead up to this season Haskins still has it all in front of him. All of it. Sky’s the Limit with him. Said it from the get go. Be patient people. If after 32 games he’s not developed then ok move on, but until then sit back and enjoy the ride. I expect big growth and development from our young gunna..

What about those times he over threw open guys?..that's fixable right?

I am completely convinced haskins will be allright..world beater?..idk..multiple sb winning qb?..idk...I've said it before and I'll say it again...the play against the giants where he was running than threw for the t.d was on point..the final few games of the season looked promising that's for sure.

14 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

What about those times he over threw open guys?..that's fixable right?

Yes. Fix his footwork. He made significant progress in his last 5 starts in that area too. We'll see if he continues or if it was a flash in the pan, but all signs point to him taking it a lot more seriously. 

Love everything about his off-season. Training with high caliber NFL players as well as with our own WRs, got in great shape, Rivera praising his mindset, etc.

But to be honest, I was optimistic already when the season was over. If you look at the PFF video from a couple of days back where they ranked Haskins as the number 2 QB from last year going into next season the people in the comment section are losing their minds. And I can totally understand why fans from other teams dismiss Haskins based on last season. His stats weren't good, he had some absolutely horrible games (the first Giants game especially) and he just didn't look ready.

But I remember the game against the Lions where I was really impressed with his performance. His stats were 13 for 29 (44,8%), 156 yards, 0 TDs and 1 Int - on paper that's horrible and if you try to explain to a fan from another team that this is a game that gives you hope going forward, yeah I can see how that sounds crazy to them. But in that game Haskins, from my point of view, almost perfectly anticipated what the coverage was and always found the right guy to throw to. There were several drops in that game on some really good passes (one deeper shot to Terry included) and there obviously were also a couple of passes that were overthrown or just inaccurate in general. But the main theme was that Haskins was mentally in that game. He really showed how smart he is as a QB and what he can bring to the table. Sure, there were still some technical flaws and not everything was beautiful but one of the hardest part of the QB's game is the mental part, and he checked that. We know he has a cannon for an arm and he showed better elusiveness as we all thought, so I feel like a lot of the flaws that he displayed in that game were absolutely fixable - even short-term. I was really pleased to find out afterwards that he got a really good rating from PFF for that game (upper 80s if I remember correctly and I think it's his best overall from them) because even though the results weren't there to show for, his performance was really promising.

If he had a coach that didn't have a game plan from the 40s and if he had the time to establish a connection with the 3 rookie WRs I think we would have also seen a better output stat-wise in some of these games. Hence, I was not at all surprised when O'Connell took over our offense and it immediatly looked a lot better against Phily and the Giants.

That is where I get most of my optimism from, and I guess the rest here too, not so much from training videos where every player looks awesome because you only get the highlights. I absolutely believe in Dwayne's ability and now that he put in a lot of work I can really see him taking a big step forward. I would have just loved if our organization gave him a bit more to work with. Obviously Terry is awesome and I also really dig Sims but besided those two we have basically nothing at WR (hope AGG is the real deal) and at TE and our Oline is also full of question marks. It's not the best situation for Dwayne. A lackluster offense, a new HC who didn't draft him, no major investments in free agency - it's an evaluation year for the whole roster. But I still feel optimistic and I think everyone else should too.

4 hours ago, Panninho said:

I was optimistic already when the season was over. If you look at the PFF video from a couple of days back where they ranked Haskins as the number 2 QB from last year going into next season the people in the comment section are losing their minds. And I can totally understand why fans from other teams dismiss Haskins based on last season. His stats weren't good, he had some absolutely horrible games (the first Giants game especially) and he just didn't look ready.

It's really important to add context with Haskins stats and realize why just looking at season totals doesn't make sense.  I can see why fans of other teams rely on those totals to paint a picture, because how would they really be expected to know that context?

It does make me wonder if there are players on other teams who I don't think are as good or something because I lack context.

On 7/27/2020 at 4:22 AM, Panninho said:

That is where I get most of my optimism from, and I guess the rest here too, not so much from training videos where every player looks awesome because you only get the highlights. I absolutely believe in Dwayne's ability and now that he put in a lot of work I can really see him taking a big step forward. I would have just loved if our organization gave him a bit more to work with. Obviously Terry is awesome and I also really dig Sims but besided those two we have basically nothing at WR (hope AGG is the real deal) and at TE and our Oline is also full of question marks. It's not the best situation for Dwayne. A lackluster offense, a new HC who didn't draft him, no major investments in free agency - it's an evaluation year for the whole roster. But I still feel optimistic and I think everyone else should too.

Reason why the training videos, and seeing him work mean a lot to me as for optimism is it helps turn around all the pessimism about the dude's work habits from last year.  And that chorus was the loudest aspect of questioning his potential.   Standig was just on talking about the same and what he heard last year which is your QB should be the hardest worker on the team, not the dude that you wonder if they are working hard enough.  And he implied as did many other reporters that was noticeable to some last year.  The narrative reminded me some of what some said about Josh Rosen when he was in Arizona but it was actually more intense about Haskins. 

Too many examples about Haskins on that front for me to believe everyone was just making it up, since just about everyone even Keim had that narrative, and an Ohio State reporter also had a narrative that made me pause.  So having that narrative do a complete 180 is huge IMO.  Rivera saying that his personality has done a complete transformation fits that narrative.  Plus I don't recall Haskins being in this top shape in Ohio State.  In camp last year, he was in better shape than earlier that off season and he looked noticeably more mobile than I and others expected.  This off season he looks to be in even better shape.  So I wonder if the dude turns the narrative on its head about him not being that mobile.  It wouldn't shock me that at this weight, he's mobility is actually above average.  

I’ve made this point many times, and with the decisions and integrity of this front office as of late, it shouldn’t be a surprise.

The moment Snyder kept Gruden on board and had his mind set on drafting Haskins anyways... the biggest failure occurred. 

Drafting a quarterback to a lame duck head coach that couldn’t focus on getting the rookie ready even if he wanted to because his seat was on fire was enough to set Haskins back. Now put Haskins in the situation where the lame duck coach had a seat on fire AND he didn’t care for the prospect (allegedly). Rough.

Haskins didn’t have the maturity... yet... to handle that, either. Seems like that’s changed, which is fantastic. But at the time he had absolutely no mental grounding. That hurt him significantly.

But his behavior is excusable as long as the reports are accurate, because it shows he learns from his mistakes. The front office’s behavior is not.

Haskins now has a pretty good situation on his hands. Strong HC, OC that will utilize his skill set, strong running game, meh OL, meh + receiving corps, but most important he has organization support. 

I’d be more optimistic if the organization wasn’t WTF... but as it is I think he’s going to do alright...

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’d be more optimistic if the organization wasn’t WTF... but as it is I think he’s going to do alright...

Completely agree with everything here..good write up kdawg..but the organization isn't wtf...its wft..

Archived