Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

I can absolutely see chess being helpful to a QB. Especially speed/blitz chess, because you have to develop extremely fast pattern matching abilities and react very quickly to an opponent's attack or defense. I'd guess that fast pattern matching and recognition ability would be very beneficial as a QB when you often have at most 5 seconds to see what the defense is doing post snap and make a decision based on it.

21 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I can absolutely see chess being helpful to a QB. Especially speed/blitz chess, because you have to develop extremely fast pattern matching abilities and react very quickly to an opponent's attack or defense. I'd guess that fast pattern matching and recognition ability would be very beneficial as a QB when you often have at most 5 seconds to see what the defense is doing post snap and make a decision based on it.

Great point about speed chess. Any idea if that’s the style they’re engaging in at times? Just curious. 

On 7/3/2020 at 9:12 PM, mistertim said:

Yeah that brings me back to Bruce Arians' book about QBs.  One of his big points is just about every Qb he had in his Qb room can decode a defense, come up with the right protection, see the field, etc with time.  But the great ones can process it in laser fast time. 

Speed chess is a different beast.  Make a bunch of pointless-but-lightning-quick moves and hope your opponent spends more time thinking about his moves and then runs out of time.  Regular chess puts more emphasis on thinking/imagining/imaging several moves ahead (yours and your opponent's).  Has anyone ever tried blindfolding the QB, have three receivers run patterns, call out the time in half seconds ("half, one, half, two, half, three") and then have the QB throw the ball to where the receiver should be based on the pattern and time elapsed?

3 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Speed chess is a different beast.  Make a bunch of pointless-but-lightning-quick moves and hope your opponent spends more time thinking about his moves and then runs out of time.  Regular chess puts more emphasis on thinking/imagining/imaging several moves ahead (yours and your opponent's).  Has anyone ever tried blindfolding the QB, have three receivers run patterns, call out the time in half seconds ("half, one, half, two, half, three") and then have the QB throw the ball to where the receiver should be based on the pattern and time elapsed?

This is not the same but I remember reading an article a decade ago about how Drew Brees for fun when he couldn't be studying tape or throwing, would close his eyes upon entering a room or hallway and then walk confidently to and touch an object he had picked out beforehand, 15+ feet away, or a light switch on a wall pretty far away, whatever, while he couldn't see. A way to work on spatial awareness, basically. 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

5 bucks for anyone who can come up with a shirtless pic of Haskins from the Summer of 2019.

Just to see the real difference.

I was just thinking this dude looooooves to show off his little bird chest now lol. I ain’t mad at him tho. He worked hard 

21 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I was just thinking this dude looooooves to show off his little bird chest now lol. I ain’t mad at him tho. He worked hard 

:ols:   I was thinking the same thing. Dude seems to never have a shirt on now that he lost weight. But yeah, can't be too mad. He put in the work. Still funny though. 

7 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I'm so all in on Kelvin Harmon. He is just the type of dude I love to watch play football. 

Harmon had some decent plays last season but he didn't really pop out to me when I watched him. Then again, he was a 6th round pick, so if he even becomes a decent contributor that's a good deal.

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Harmon had some decent plays last season but he didn't really pop out to me when I watched him. Then again, he was a 6th round pick, so if he even becomes a decent contributor that's a good deal.

Felt the same way. You have to be dammmn good at everything else if you don’t have great size or speed, so we’ll see. I’m on side of wanting Haskins to have as many sub 4.4 or twitchy guys as possible.

3 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Harmon just made plays, was big and physical. I know he isn't a burner but he won a lot of matchups once he had a shot. I just hate soft recievers, especially big ones. 

I liked when he would run people over in the secondary.

He popped here

Once he really started to get into the lineup, he started to produce quite a bit, especially when Dwayne Haskins became the starter at quarterback. In fact, 20 of Harmon's 30 total catches came when Haskins got the gig; that, in itself, is encouraging as Haskins is slotted as the starter for 2020. Harmon also caught 68.2% of the passes thrown his way, which was in the top 100 of all receivers in the NFL and top 50 for receivers with more 40 targets. In greater detail, according to Pro Football Focus' Nick Akridge, Harmon's 57.9% contested catch rate was sixth-best in the NFL, and he was one of just four wide receivers with zero drops on at least 40 targets.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/don-t-sleep-kelvin-harmon-washington-redskins-2019-nfl-draft

Not saying he is jerry rice but I really saw something in his game. 

I know its the wrong thread but whateves lol Ill move it to harmons if the mods want

Harmon has really good hands and is a very tough player but he doesn't get a lot of separation from what I saw. His acceleration is so-so as is his suddenness in and out of his breaks and his route running in general. Now, he was a rookie, so obviously that's something that will likely/hopefully improve. But at the moment I don't see him as much more than a possession receiver (which isn't a bad thing and a good possession receiver from a 6th round pick is a huge value). I do like his playing style though. 

It’s how you want to fill your roster: 

Would you rather have a Mecole Hardman/Demarcus Robinson fill your 4th and 5th WR spots or a Kelvin Harmon type WR?? I believe some teams are realizing the the speed guys are way underpaid and there’s a plethora of them out there, but you must commit your scheme to reap the full benefits. The Chiefs were able to continue status quo on offense while Tyreke Hill was injured, due to the above guys having game breaking speed. The offense continued to roll. Of course, the eventual Goat of football Mahomes played a significant role.

Admittedly, I’m all in on doing things like the Chiefs (who isn’t lol) and them having burners to spare each week is a luxury especially with a QB with arm talent. Haskins can be the poor mans Mahomes and get as many speed guys as possible. 

10 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I think it was always really footwork with dwayne, not so much overall athleticism - I've always felt like many people (media included) have confounded the two into one issue. 

He was being compared to Byron Leftwich coming out lol Hes much faster and nimble than people thought. I imagine that will improve with improved conditioning. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

He was being compared to Byron Leftwich coming out lol Hes much faster and nimble than people thought. I imagine that will improve with improved conditioning. 

In my estimation--and feel free to correct me--he doesn't have the big, Jason-Campbell wind up. When he throws. His release is much quicker.

Yeah I was actually pleasantly surprised by his athleticism last season. He didn't really do much running or scrambling at OSU. That combined with his super slow 40 time made me figure he'd basically be a statue. I'm curious if some of it was simply not preparing enough for the combine. Many prospects put in a ton of work on their 40 yard dashes pre-combine and there are lots of little things to do that lets them squeeze out an extra 1/10 of a second. Maybe Dwayne wasn't really that interested. 

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

In my estimation--and feel free to correct me--he doesn't have the big, Jason-Campbell wind up. When he throws. His release is much quicker.

Not at all.

His mechanics remind me a bit of Marino in my very ignorant view (not sure it’s quite as quick as Marino, but they both seem to develop a lot of their power from the upper half)

Archived