Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Listening to Cooley this morning, he's not that high on Daniel Jones but is high on the Giants roster, thinks their O line now is really good, talented roster, he thinks they have done a sneaky good rebuild in recent years and end up a surprise playoff team.   He doesn't think the Redskins are as good and thinks we got the worst roster in the East.   I hope he's wrong.   Will see. 

On 6/8/2020 at 5:33 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Ladies and Gentlemen.  I give you... Jeremy Sprinkle:

The odd thing about Sprinkle was the idea about him is that he'd be a good blocker so even if he isn't a hot weapon the dude should be able to block.  But IMO (and judging by PFF grades) he's at best pedestrian as a blocker. 

Next draft I think O line and TE are obvious targets.  I don't think we have a ton of holes.  But I think those positions might set us back this season.  And to me, that's fine, its a stacked draft again.  49ers had multiple drafts with high picks in almost succession.  Now look at them.  I think that could be us but not in 2020 but 2021. 

On 6/8/2020 at 9:32 AM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

His attitude and mindset was not good at the start, he deserves blame for that, but at the same time Gruden deserves equal blame.

Transparently did not want him there.  3rd string only, no 1st string reps.  Didn't bother to teach him concepts, mechanics, or have the coaches spend an extra effort on him.  Put him into the Giants game and set him up to fail as a 'F U' to Snyder/Allen.

As soon as Callahan replaced him, O'Connell began giving Haskins serious hands on focus.  How...?

I'm not buying the whole, Gruden was just trying to save his job.  Let's say he did save his job.  Keenum and McCoy had expiring contracts, he'd then have to go back to Haskins the following year who knows he didn't care about him, and had a year without much training or guidance at the organizational level.

So even if he saved his job...he just sabotaged it for the next year.  It doesn't make sense.  I think Grudens disregard for Haskins was just him lashing out at Allen/Snyder.

By saving his job that did mean the next season, he was literally week to week as we saw with his mid-season firing.  So knowing he was week to week he needed to win NOW and felt the best chance was with vets over a rookie with one season of college.  

19 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

By saving his job that did mean the next season, he was literally week to week as we saw with his mid-season firing.  So knowing he was week to week he needed to win NOW and felt the best chance was with vets over a rookie with one season of college.  

I don't fault Gruden for going with the vets.  The problem was that Haskins wasn't even getting team reps in practice, so when he was asked to go into the game due to injury, he fell on his face... as to be expected.  

46 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I don't fault Gruden for going with the vets.  The problem was that Haskins wasn't even getting team reps in practice, so when he was asked to go into the game due to injury, he fell on his face... as to be expected.  

Agreed.  But how many reps do 3rd string QBs typically receive?  

10 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

When you have a coach that is actually invested in developing the future, both for himself and the franchise? More than zero. 

The problem is that Gruden came into the season knowing he was dead meat. There was no way he was saving his job, and coaches contracts are fully guaranteed so he was just riding the end of the wave until he was inevitably fired. He had no interest in wasting time developing a young QB he didn't advocate for, for whoever the next coach would be. You could feel resigned exhaustion coming off Gruden that whole off-season coming into the year. He was a lame duck and he knew it, he was acutely aware.

11 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

If he was going into the game as the 3rd unless something catastrophic happened to the other two, he needed to get some reps at some point. But your point is taken, Gruden was in a ****ty spot too. I dont think it was out of malice. If anything I blame he who shan't be named more than anyone. 

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

he was acutely aware.

We all were, and i know his players must have been too. Thats the organizations fault. I almost felt bad for him. 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

But he would still be week to week the next season with a QB who he ignored and intentionally did not develop.

One of the reasons he was fired, supposedly Snyder didn't like that the first round rookie QB was getting next to no tutelage.  Could Gruden have kept his job longer if he had been hands on with Haskins while at the same time still starting Keenum or McCoy?  Maybe.  We don't know, but we do know Grudens actions were ill-advised and had no next step in his plan.

There was no multi-step process for Gruden.  It was 1 step, pretend Haskins didn't exist and hope the status quo on Week 1 somehow was a winning roster.  There was no 2nd step... because it didn't look like he had a plan to evolve or adapt the team as the season went along.

Grudens teams (after Sean McVay left) always struggled after half time.  It always seemed like we would always be surprised that the opposing teams adapted and made changes.

Gruden comes up with a plan, thinks it's the bee's knees, and then is too rigid to change.  Cooley on his radio show, in 2018, complained that we kept using these run plays that had almost no success.  He'd ask Gruden about them, and Gruden would seem surprised by the stats, because he'd cite a few positive runs...and in his head ignore the majority of them being no gainers.

I didn't realize how bad Gruden was at being a coach until Callahan took over.  And Callahan had his own flaws, but he was a breath of fresh air after Gruden.

47 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Grudens teams (after Sean McVay left) always struggled after half time.  It always seemed like we would always be surprised that the opposing teams adapted and made changes.

Which is funny because we were also slow starters. And poor closing the first half. And we lost a lot of games (more than a majority in fact), so obviously we sucked closing out games with a lead and sucked playing from behind in the 4th quarter as well.

Gruden was a ****show all around for the most part. Bad teams tend to fail all over but fans really internalize specific parts of that failure that bother them.

Haskins being tied to Rivera is the best thing that could have happened for his career. He's getting me excited. Not because I think he's great all of a sudden, but because I know he has all the tools and those types need the best environment to have the best chance at succeeding (really that applies to all QB's, but especially raw toolsy types without much experience). And I believe Rivera will not only create that environment, but that he also has a personality and leadership style that will really click with a young QB who wants to be great. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Cooley this morning, he's not that high on Daniel Jones but is high on the Giants roster, thinks their O line now is really good, talented roster, he thinks they have done a sneaky good rebuild in recent years and end up a surprise playoff team. 

That's fine. Give me our defense. Their defense is hot dog ****, an their DC? The revered Patrick Graham. Who led the vaunted 2019 Miami Dolphins defense to a whopping 30th in yards and 32nd in points.

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

But he would still be week to week the next season with a QB who he ignored and intentionally did not develop.

One of the reasons he was fired, supposedly Snyder didn't like that the first round rookie QB was getting next to no tutelage.  Could Gruden have kept his job longer if he had been hands on with Haskins while at the same time still starting Keenum or McCoy?  Maybe.  We don't know, but we do know Grudens actions were ill-advised and had no next step in his plan.

There was no multi-step process for Gruden.  It was 1 step, pretend Haskins didn't exist and hope the status quo on Week 1 somehow was a winning roster.  There was no 2nd step... because it didn't look like he had a plan to evolve or adapt the team as the season went along.

Gruden comes up with a plan, thinks it's the bee's knees, and then is too rigid to change.  Cooley on his radio show, in 2018, complained that we kept using these run plays that had almost no success.  He'd ask Gruden about them, and Gruden would seem surprised by the stats, because he'd cite a few positive runs...and in his head ignore the majority of them being no gainers.

I didn't realize how bad Gruden was at being a coach until Callahan took over.  And Callahan had his own flaws, but he was a breath of fresh air after Gruden.

Oh I'm not defending Gruden, other than Zorn I can't think of a worse Redskins head coach.  Why he continued to call that fade when it was obvious that they could not execute it is just another in a long list of examples.  I think Snyder had plenty of reasons (35-49, 0-5) but you may be right that his handling of Dwayne didn't help his cause. I'm just trying to explain why I think he did it.  

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's fine. Give me our defense. Their defense is hot dog ****, an their DC? The revered Patrick Graham. Who led the vaunted 2019 Miami Dolphins defense to a whopping 30th in yards and 32nd in points.

Their defense is weak, I agree.  Though IMO their secondary is likely better.  And their interior defensive line is up there with ours -- if you go by PFF scores their interior D line is actually better.  Gettleman publicly comes off like a clown.  But I'll give him this.  He took a crap O line and arguably is making it good.  And their interior D line which they built from scratch with Hill, Lawrence and Tomlinson is really good.   That's part of the reason why I kept crying about the Giants being poised to get Chase Young for a spell during the previous season.  My thought was if the Giants added a killer pass rusher to their already good D line interior, I think it would have made their defense a lot better.  But instead we fortunately got lucky instead and we upgraded our D line instead of them.  I hope the rumors though about them having interest in Clowney isn't true.

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Their defense is weak, I agree.  Though IMO their secondary is likely better.  And their interior defensive line is up there with ours -- if you go by PFF scores their interior D line is actually better.  Gettleman publicly comes off like a clown.  But I'll give him this.  He took a crap O line and arguably is making it good.  And their interior D line which they built from scratch with Hill, Lawrence and Tomlinson is really good.   That's part of the reason why I kept crying about the Giants being poised to get Chase Young for a spell during the previous season.  My thought was if the Giants added a killer pass rusher to their already good D line interior, I think it would have made their defense a lot better.  But instead we fortunately got lucky instead and we upgraded our D line instead of them.  I hope the rumors though about them having interest in Clowney isn't true.

I don't think their secondary is better.  I'd call it a push.

And I think their OL has become overrated after the drafting of Thomas.  They're terrible at C and Will Hernandez hasn't been the player everyone thought he'd be.  Also, it's interesting so many people are taking it as a given that Nate Solder will succeed at RT.  He played poorly at LT and it's a tough transition to the other side when you've been playing LT your whole career.  And if they move Thomas to RT instead, they'll still be below average at LT.

IMO, they still have two glaring holes on their OL (RT and C) just like we do, albeit ours are at LT and LG.

Here's how I'd break down the position group advantage between the two teams.

QB > Redskins (based on PFF and my eye test)

RB > Giants (obviously, though we'll have better depth if Guice can stay healthy)

WR > Push (we have the best overall player but they have better depth)

TE > Giants (obviously)

OL > Push (see above)

DL > Redskins (the interior may be a push, but our EDGE rushers are far superior)

Off-ball LB > Redskins (we have better depth and more promising starters)

CB > Redskins (Darby had a down year last year but I think he bounces back, and I think Fuller, Moreau and Moreland round out a stronger rotation of 4 than they have)

S > Giants (though so much of this hinges on whether Sean Davis can duplicate his 2018 success at FS)

Head Coach > Redskins (obviously)

OC > Giants (Garrett is a good OC.  Better there than at HC.  Jury is still out on Turner)

DC > Redskins (obviously)

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

S > Giants (though so much of this hinges on whether Sean Davis can duplicate his 2018 success at FS)

I might be the lone dissenter, but I feel more confident about Davis playing 'OK' for us than the Giants rookie playing 'OK' in his first season.

Giants rookie is athletically limited but smart.  He can do it, but it'll be hard for him against a step up in competition. 

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I might be the lone dissenter, but I feel more confident about Davis playing 'OK' for us than the Giants rookie playing 'OK' in his first season.

Giants rookie is athletically limited but smart.  He can do it, but it'll be hard for him against a step up in competition. 

Well, tbh, I was just trying to look like less of a homer there...

Only one of these teams has a former All Pro starting at safety for them, who is also still in his prime.  

I also have more faith Davis can be average for us this season than McKinney can be for them.

Archived