Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I also wonder if there's any truth to rumors of trying Scherff at RT again.

Oh please say this is true, I’ve been on an island with this suggestion for 2 years, I’m half convinced your actually winding me up  :rofl89:

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Oh please say this is true, I’ve been on an island with this suggestion for 2 years, I’m half convinced your actually winding me up  :rofl89:

I saw it being floated around. I'd even go so far and maybe try Moses at RG and Scherff at RT. Moses doesn't seem to have the mobility to move around the edge but he's a big physical dude when he doesn't get embarrassingly beat by faster edge rushers.

18 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

15 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I saw it being floated around. I'd even go so far and maybe try Moses at RG and Scherff at RT. Moses doesn't seem to have the mobility to move around the edge but he's a big physical dude when he doesn't get embarrassingly beat by faster edge rushers.

The thing that concerns me about Scherff at Tackle is his wingspan.

His length is about 2 inches shorter than Moses, and that's important aspect at Tackle, moreso than Guard

How much of an impact it would have on Scherff performing at RT, is unknown, though.

55 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Just a quick response.... 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/austin-hooper-free-agency-it-really-came-down-cleveland-and-washington

We may not have wanted to reset the market, but it appears, at least from Hooper, that we were a major player. 

As far as Cooper is concerned, I thought i read that the contracts were almost identical, but the major difference in guarantees would absolutely play a part.

I agree we need to protect Haskins, and Warford is a very interesting option to me.  I worry about the concept that i've heard that his production dipped last year.  New Orleans is paying Peat quite a bit, and Peat is injury prone, so why chose Peat over Warford?  

I have no doubt that the Redskins were in contact with Hooper's agent, but, as RR stated, they weren't willing to reset the TE market on Hooper.  The Browns made him the highest paid TE in the NFL.  They reset the TE market.  The Redskins stopped talking when the price got that high.  Hooper's statement that he chose to be a Brown is a bit misleading.  He actually chose to be paid more money - and only the Browns were offering that.

6 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

I have no doubt that the Redskins were in contact with Hooper's agent, but, as RR stated, they weren't willing to reset the TE market on Hooper.  The Browns made him the highest paid TE in the NFL.  They reset the TE market.  The Redskins stopped talking when the price got that high.  Hooper's statement that he chose to be a Brown is a bit misleading.  He actually chose to be paid more money - and only the Browns were offering that.

but they were still actively in pursuit of a top tier FA.  They were players for Hooper, the Browns just priced them out.  

4 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

I agree. Hooper was being polite. We showed the second most interest after the Browns, but realistically were not going to get his services as the Browns were happy keep upping the cash. 

RIvera’s statement is clear on that. That said, I don’t totally disagree with the notion of standing firm on that one.

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Didn't they originally try Scherff at RT and then move him to Guard? IIRC reporters were that he was pretty underwhelming as a Tackle. 

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

Didn't they originally try Scherff at RT and then move him to Guard? IIRC reporters were that he was pretty underwhelming as a Tackle. 

Yeah, he was drafted to play RT, but it was somewhere in the early part of camp they moved him inside when it was clear Moses could actually play RT, and Scherff was really struggling in space.  

I wonder if Moses, fully healthy, because he never seems to be healthy, actually can play guard.  The problem with him is his feet.  He sometimes looks like he's stuck in concrete.  But that could be injuries, I know he's been dealing with ankle problems.

Maybe if he's finally healthy and recovered, he can play that spot.

That said, I think they should try Scherff at RT again.  Maybe he can play it, maybe he can't.  But it would be worth knowing.  

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds like Meyer isn't in love what what he perceived to be the culture there based on what he heard.  Hopefully that's changing.   I got some optimism that it will change.

Ousting Allen was step number one. Hiring a well-respected, class act like Rivera is step two. What's really telling to me that at least the effort is there to revamp the culture is that long-time Snyder aides Eric Schaffer and Larry Hess were removed--both there 17 years. Schaffer was long considered the lone adult in the room under Snyder, but Rivera parting ways with him is probably the biggest sign of an organizational shift. Sometimes new voices are needed. We shall see if it lasts, or if Rivera gets Schottied.

JP's interview with Haskins was a good listen.  Haskins seems much more focused, he seems to genuinely like the coaching staff and I got the feeling he's happy and feels like the team has his back for the first time.

Also, the article Haskins wrote about last season was also a good read.

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That said, I think they should try Scherff at RT again.  Maybe he can play it, maybe he can't.  But it would be worth knowing.  

It can't be worse than Moses last year.  That guy was good for a false start or a holding penalty at least twice a game and always in the most critical moments.  Also, Scherff plays with a nastiness that I think you want in a RT.  Moses seems soft.

10 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

It can't be worse than Moses last year.  That guy was good for a false start or a holding penalty at least twice a game and always in the most critical moments.  Also, Scherff plays with a nastiness that I think you want in a RT.  Moses seems soft.

Moses essentially beat Scherff out for the RT job his rookie year.

I don’t know if Scherff has improved outside since then.  I would like to see. Because as good as Scherff is, spending a top 5 pick on a guard is just a tough pill to swallow.  Especially with Leonard Williams sitting there begging to be picked.  

Again, I like Scherff. 

32 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Moses essentially beat Scherff out for the RT job his rookie year.

I don’t know if Scherff has improved outside since then.  I would like to see. Because as good as Scherff is, spending a top 5 pick on a guard is just a tough pill to swallow.  Especially with Leonard Williams sitting there begging to be picked.  

Again, I like Scherff. 

I think hindsight has born out that Scherff was a better pick than Williams.  Williams ended up being a bit of an underachiever and he got traded.  He made the Pro-bowl in 2016, but hasn't really reached that level of play again.  Scherff has been more consistent, and he's made three Probowls.

They're both interior linemen, so the position value is similar.  And we ended up getting a trio of stud interior DLs since passing on Williams for Scherff, such that we are very strong at the position today and in the meantime, Scherff panned out to become our best OL by far.  I definitely wouldn't trade Scherff for Williams right now.

Scherff needs to remain at RG.  I'm really hoping Lucas gets a fair chance to beat Moses out.  I think he wins in a fair competition. 

On my re-watch of last year's season, I can't count how many times I was shaking my head at something Moses did (or didn't do - like block).

You don't move a Pro Bowler to a position where he might be slightly above average. That's something this organization has done for years: playing guys at wrong positions and not optimizing the talent they do have.

A Scherff-Moses RG-RT combo is still one of the better ones in the NFL.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds like Meyer isn't in love what what he perceived to be the culture there based on what he heard.  Hopefully that's changing.   I got some optimism that it will change.

I would bet money this is just Meyer going public with what he was telling Snyder when he sat in his box for a game late last season. And to his credit, Danny went out and found a guy that is unanimously known for being well-respected and instilling a great culture and they cleaned house. There’s no doubt in my mind this is exactly what Meyer said to him.

Would have been nice to have Amari Cooper but he was too expensive and never really was interested in coming here anyway, just used us to drive up his price. I’ve gone back and watched Dwayne’s games last year though and I really do think he’s going to be good this year. I’m excited to see the offense utilize weapons like Gibson and Sims and I think they will really spread things out. When you look at our draft, outside of Charles, they all fit that mold of culture. Gibson and Hudson are guys that we’re stars on their team and yet LOVED and excelled at special teams. Similar to McLaurin last year. Young is known for his work ethic and desire. AGG clearly is passionate about mastering his craft. I like where we are going in terms of culture and I think Meyer is right. The better the team is around him, the harder Haskins is going to work so as not to be the weak link.

I’m excited for this year because I expect to see a respectable team that fights everyone this year like we had under Gibbs 2.0. We won’t be better than many teams we face but I’m hoping to see us compete on the scoreboard and to the eye test each game with some flashy scores by McLaurin/Gibson/Sims and a really fun defense that makes plays and finally stops the run. 

1 minute ago, moondog said:

I would bet money this is just Meyer going public with what he was telling Snyder when he sat in his box for a game late last season. And to his credit, Danny went out and found a guy that is unanimously known for being well-respected and instilling a great culture and they cleaned house. There’s no doubt in my mind this is exactly what Meyer said to him.

Would have been nice to have Amari Cooper but he was too expensive and never really was interested in coming here anyway, just used us to drive up his price. I’ve gone back and watched Dwayne’s games last year though and I really do think he’s going to be good this year. I’m excited to see the offense utilize weapons like Gibson and Sims and I think they will really spread things out. When you look at our draft, outside of Charles, they all fit that mold of culture. Gibson and Hudson are guys that we’re stars on their team and yet LOVED and excelled at special teams. Similar to McLaurin last year. Young is known for his work ethic and desire. AGG clearly is passionate about mastering his craft. I like where we are going in terms of culture and I think Meyer is right. The better the team is around him, the harder Haskins is going to work so as not to be the weak link.

I’m excited for this year because I expect to see a respectable team that fights everyone this year like we had under Gibbs 2.0. We won’t be better than many teams we face but I’m hoping to see us compete on the scoreboard and to the eye test each game with some flashy scores by McLaurin/Gibson/Sims and a really fun defense that makes plays and finally stops the run. 

Exactly!  No chance Meyer comes out with something like this unless Dan was aware of the sentiment.  

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If you move Scherff to RT, you make a hole at RG.  Moses at RT is better than our second best RG candidate.  Also Scherff is our best run blocker.  I like him at guard because he can dig up big IDLs and he can stick all of the move blocks we want from a guard.

that’s why you also go out and sign Larry Warford 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

You don't move a Pro Bowler to a position where he might be slightly above average. That's something this organization has done for years: playing guys at wrong positions and not optimizing the talent they do have.

A Scherff-Moses RG-RT combo is still one of the better ones in the NFL.

Moses generally sucks.

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Scherff needs to remain at RG.  I'm really hoping Lucas gets a fair chance to beat Moses out.  I think he wins in a fair competition. 

On my re-watch of last year's season, I can't count how many times I was shaking my head at something Moses did (or didn't do - like block).

Yeah Lucas does has a strong chance of winning that RT job too.

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

JP's interview with Haskins was a good listen.  Haskins seems much more focused, he seems to genuinely like the coaching staff and I got the feeling he's happy and feels like the team has his back for the first time.

Interesting situation really because Kyle Allen is still waiting in the wings. A Turner guy. That’s trade may have made Haskins a big more aware of the threat to his position. 

I like the QB combination/competition of Haskins & Allen.

21 hours ago, mistertim said:

Can't really compare when he's transitioning from college to pros and being a 5 year vet. 

7 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Moses actually improved a decent amount from 2018 to 2019 when it came to penalties. That's not necessarily saying a bunch since he was the single most penalized Offensive Lineman in the NFL in 2018 but he went from 14 penalties to 9, so it's something I guess. Scherff actually had the same number of penalties in 2019 as Moses in 5 fewer games.

As far as moving Scherff to Tackle...I mean I suppose I'd be open to trying it. But he's not even an All Pro level Guard...what makes us think he'll transition to RT and suddenly be really good there? Moses isn't great but he's serviceable. I'd rather keep Scherff where he's shown he can play well and let someone else challenge Moses for the RT spot. 

Archived