PCS

Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

2 hours ago, Panninho said:

You know talk is talk but there is some serious growth shown in these words.

Total fluff/propaganda piece from the team.  Facts:  "Simba" sold "tickets" to his "draft party" to try to elevate the "Haskins and Haskins" (lol) brand, and wanted to be drafted by the Giants, threw a baby fit when he was not and his family rolled their eyes when the Redskins called.  This is not genuine at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

Total fluff/propaganda piece from the team.  Facts:  "Simba" sold "tickets" to his "draft party" to try to elevate the "Haskins and Haskins" (lol) brand, and wanted to be drafted by the Giants, threw a baby fit when he was not and his family rolled their eyes when the Redskins called.  This is not genuine at all.

Even if that was entirely true. Do you blame "Haskins and Haskins" wanting to play for the Giants organization 2 years ago rather than the Bruce-led disfunction I'm sure they were aware of? Do you blame his parents wanting a better situation for their Son? Do you think Haskins a should have been happy that Daniel Jones was drafted before him? I saw that same look on Aaron Rodgers face as he was being passed over in '05.

Will this be the year the league realizes it has messed up?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ggarriso said:

While it might have some puff in it, and there's no way for us to know how much is genuine, why do you automatically assume that it's all BS? You don't think people can learn and grow?

1 hour ago, ggarriso said:

You wanna say the n word, don't you

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

nope

21 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

I don't share ggarriso's viewpoint, but to assume that every criticism of Haskins is racially motivated is not great.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Nice read. 

Hi Dwayne, some of us saw the growth.  Just have to have self-belief.  I witnessed Aikman first year and the beating he took.  He kept getting better as the tools around him got better. They gave him one of the league's all-time best lines. A hall of fame RB, WR, TE and possibly a Hall of Fame FB. 

Keep working. The improvements are there...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

I don't share ggarriso's viewpoint, but to assume that every criticism of Haskins is racially motivated is not great.

Definitely not. There is a level of personal hatred in some posts that is just off-putting in regards to a guy we've hardly seen play, though. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

he didn’t say every criticism. He specifically called out one guy who clearly has a personal problem beyond football. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

2 hours ago, ggarriso said:

nope

Both of you knock it off or get knocked off of here. :)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ggarriso said:

You can believe whatever you want. I saw on-field performances that I think matched what he was saying. Everyone that saw the Bills game could see how he just tried to take it step by step, focusing on making fewer mistakes by keeping it simple.

I mean this guy is basically saying he was overwhelmed. Not only by the on-field stuff but also by the talk around him. He got away with stuff in college that he couldn't in the NFL. That he tried to overcompensate and then decided to take two steps back to make one forward. Even if the draft party thing was true, I mean he is a 20 year old star QB coming out of college. He did not face a lot of (on-field) adversity ever. He obviously thought he was further in his development than he actually was. Admitting it and going back to start working on your biggest problems by asking your veteran QBs for advice - and we heard from multiple sources how much Alex Smith helped him - why is this so hard to believe? Especially when you also saw some on-field growth on a week by week basis.

No one knows for sure how his on-field performance will look like this season but that he had a humbling experience and that he changed his working habits because of it...I don't see how you cannot believe that.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I read the entire thing and it sounds very honest and heartfelt. It;s polished which is fine. He needs to be careful what he says. Is some of it fluff? Sure. But again that shows an awareness of what he says matters. 

Will this translate on gameday? No way to know until he hits the field. But i like where it appears his head is at. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I read the entire thing and it sounds very honest and heartfelt. It;s polished which is fine. He needs to be careful what he says. Is some of it fluff? Sure. But again that shows an awareness of what he says matters. 

Will this translate on gameday? No way to know until he hits the field. But i like where it appears his head is at. 

He comes off to me both in interviews and small doses of seeing him up close as a super nice guy.  He is supposedly well liked in the locker room and is humble and coachable, etc.  There seems to be some concerns about how hungry he is to be the best but on that front he seems to be fired up and showing that he is indeed hungry this off season.   So hopefully it all comes together for him.  My main concern right now is learning a new offense without being about to practice it -- talk about an insane and unprecedented challenge.   I lean optimistic about Haskins.  But lean pessimistic about the offense as a whole coming together considering these off season challenges.  Teams with veterans who are carrying on the same system for years should have tremendous advantages. 

19 hours ago, NYSkins21 said:

Even if that was entirely true. Do you blame "Haskins and Haskins" wanting to play for the Giants organization 2 years ago rather than the Bruce-led disfunction I'm sure they were aware of? Do you blame his parents wanting a better situation for their Son? Do you think Haskins a should have been happy that Daniel Jones was drafted before him? I saw that same look on Aaron Rodgers face as he was being passed over in '05.

I think the Giants drill is real simple.  He grew up a big time fan of the team.  He did camps with Giant players, etc, growing up.  So he's sort of like the reverse Landon Collins.  Collins wanted to be drafted by the Redskins, his boyhood favorite team, yet the Giants took him.   I can't blame him or any player for who they grew up rooting for especially when it's the hometown team which is was for him growing up mostly in NJ.   

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Definitely not. There is a level of personal hatred in some posts that is just off-putting in regards to a guy we've hardly seen play, though. 

I agree that IMO some are jumping the gun one way or another. My hard position on Haskins is it's borderline impossible to tell, yet.   There are things I like and things I don't.  Hard for me to say he's a franchise QB for sure or that he isn't.  I'd lean slightly positive on him.  My ride on Haskins so far is almost identical to early years Kirk.  Up and down, depending on the week.   I waffled a lot on Kirk until in my mind he established himself and after that I mostly had his back and took my share of heat from his critics, then. 

I recall all our QB threads well.  There was a lot of angst about most of our young QBs.  RG3 was the exception because he started so hot but then the heat and criticism came later.   Heck I recall how heated the Beck versus Rex thread was.  Campbell became a heated subject.  Kirk's thread was mega heated pretty much for the whole duration.   Heck so was even the Alex thread at times.  

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say more feelings have been bruised on the QB threads than any other topic here.  And I think much of it because we've been so battered by bad luck and false hope at the position that there is some natural reflex cynicism about each young QB.  Haskins is somewhat inheriting all of that baggage.  He seems like an astute guy who knows this team's history, and I'd guess he's aware of that. 

i think the two franchises that could easily do an entertaining 30 for 30 special on the QB position would be this team and the Browns.  The wild thing about the Browns is they thought they escaped the wilderness in 2018 with Mayfield but the dude regressed.  So IMO us and the Browns fans probably feel the most snakebitten and by extension cynical about the QB position in the NFL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree that IMO some are jumping the gun one way or another.

Is there anyone definitively saying that Haskins is definitley going to be an elite NFL starter? Or even just a good starter? I've not seen that said. I'm probably as high on Haskins as anyone on this board but I absolutely understand that this book is still being written. Conversely there ARE some posters who are absolutely sure right now that he is already a bust. That's just crazy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Is there anyone definitively saying that Haskins is going to be an elite NFL starter? Or even just a good starter? I've not seen that said. I'm probably as high on Haskins as anyone on this board but I absolutely understand that this book is still being written. Conversely there ARE some posters who are absolutely sure right now that he is already a bust. That's just crazy. 

I agree but I didn't say it that way.   I didn't use the word elite and if my posts suggests the word than my bad as to mis-communicating.   Some seem sold as him likely being the goods.  Some seem convinced he is headed to be a bust.  I have a pretty good memory of both points being made because I've argued with people on both sides of it on occasion.   And it was just my perspective that it's hard for me to land hard one way or another.   

And it's not that i don't think anyone can't be high or down on Haskins.  Obviously, everyone can have their take and be sold on their position.  It would be boring if we all saw it the same way.   I've taken some strong positions on just about every QB we've had ultimately and had my share of rows about them more so than any topic.   With Haskins, I am just back and forth, and waiting for it to unfold.  I lean positive but its a soft lean.  

I think there are some people on this thread with much stronger leanings than mine on both sides of the debate.   I am just explaining mine and recalling some of the other QB threads and how heated they were and I don't find this thread that unique considering.  I think it comes with the turf -- Redskins -- Qb -- angst.  And I've partaken in my share of it so it's tough for me to forget. 😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Is there anyone definitively saying that Haskins is definitley going to be an elite NFL starter? Or even just a good starter? I've not seen that said. I'm probably as high on Haskins as anyone on this board but I absolutely understand that this book is still being written. Conversely there ARE some posters who are absolutely sure right now that he is already a bust. That's just crazy.  

He's got the potential to be a high end starter.  But reaching that potential isn't just on him and his individual talent or performance.  He's going to need far more support from the organization than he got as a rookie to pan out.  Hopefully we can do better with the new FO and coaching staff, because what we did last year was pretty much the textbook method for busting a quarterback prospect.

I think we spend too much time here focusing on Haskins though.  He is only one element that needs to improve and find his identity in order for us to overhaul the team and become competitive.  He's the bellwether for the offense, but we need an equivalent culture change and level of improvement on the defense too.  The offense was understandably terrible last season as our only good players outside of Scherff and Roullier were rookies and redshirt rookies.  A bottom five defense was inexcusable.  If Haskins gets good but the defense and run game stay bad, we're still going to be a bad team.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's got the potential to be a high end starter.  But reaching that potential isn't just on him and his individual talent or performance.  He's going to need far more support from the organization than he got as a rookie to pan out.  Hopefully we can do better with the new FO and coaching staff, because what we did last year was pretty much the textbook method for busting a quarterback prospect.

I think we spend too much time here focusing on Haskins though.  He is only one element that needs to improve and find his identity in order for us to overhaul the team and become competitive.  He's the bellwether for the offense, but we need an equivalent culture change and level of improvement on the defense too.  The offense was understandably terrible last season as our only good players outside of Scherff and Roullier were rookies and redshirt rookies.  A bottom five defense was inexcusable.  If Haskins gets good but the defense and run game stay bad, we're still going to be a bad team.

I wish we did for Haskins what Denver did for Lock this year.  Talk about upgrading weapons.  As for here, I like Gibson a lot and Gandy-Golden.  So our weapons potentially could be good.  But we got at least in theory no legitimate TE.  LG is up in the air.  I like Charles at LT but he's a rookie and we aren't sure yet with his past problems that he's the answer.  You converge all of that with a weird off season where you can't practice a new system with young players.  It might be a challenge. 

I think the defense will be significantly better with the obvious concern about the secondary.  Hopefully the pass rush like it did for SF improves the back end. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wish we did for Haskins what Denver did for Lock this year.  Talk about upgrading weapons.  As for here, I like Gibson a lot and Gandy-Golden.  So our weapons potentially could be good.  But we got at least in theory no legitimate TE.  LG is up in the air.  I like Charles at LT but he's a rookie and we aren't sure yet with his past problems that he's the answer.  You converge all of that with a weird off season where you can't practice a new system with young players.  It might be a challenge. 

I think the defense will be significantly better with the obvious concern about the secondary.  Hopefully the pass rush like it did for SF improves the back end. 

Offense could well be a struggle this year even if Haskins takes a step forward for the reasons you cite. We are still relying on a lot of young players at the skill positions and LT is a huge question mark.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Offense could well be a struggle this year even if Haskins takes a step forward for the reasons you cite. We are still relying on a lot of young players at the skill positions and LT is a huge question mark.

Yeah agree.  It feels like everything is setting up not for 2020 but for 2021.  Cap room.  More time to build the culture.  Round out the roster.  Young guys gain experience with the system.  And possibly one more high draft pick. 

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

While I agree that Denver did a great job I feel like it's tough to compare that with our situation. The #2 pick basically made itself and then we didn't pick until the 3rd round from where we spent the next 4 picks on offensive players. We tried to upgrade during the offseason with Cooper and Hooper (lol feels funny to write those names after another) but they didn't want to come here or were too expensive. So keep the money and try next season. The offense is extremely young but we got some talent and we have another year to evaluate them.

I would have loved to get Haskins more options and I am sure we would have done that if we picked somewhere else in the first or had a second rounder. So let's hope Haskins shows enough growth so that we can focus on that next offseason without having another QB controversy.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Or what Arizona did with Murray.

Definitely don't have the star power that Denver added, but I'm hopeful that our lower-key additions are gems like McLauren was.  There is something about Gandy-Golden that makes him seem like he's just going to work out, and Gibson has pretty obvious and spectacular upside.  And I still believe in Guice too.  A healthy season from him would be like adding Melvin Gordon.

Just having a coach who will give Haskins first team reps and the chance to run our playbook all year will be an improvement over what he got last season...

Haskins was drafted without a plan for development or support from the coaching staff, and very little surrounding talent on the offense.  It was a terrible situation to walk into and I'm still not sold that we've got a coherent plan for and commitment to developing him.  But I do think that we'll at least have a concrete offensive identity and philosophy now, with simplified blocking schemes, and having that be the case should help all of our offensive players, including Haskins.  But you're right to expect it to be a weird and disruptive offseason, especially for our offensive players.  I'm hoping for the best but not really expecting it.

I'm skeptical that we'll see a SF-like turnaround on defense because I don't think we have the secondary talent in-house that they did.  But I think our defensive front is even more loaded than theirs was.

• Like 1