Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

A lot more pressure on Haskins, but I like that approach. It's also going to give someone like Gibson all kinds of touches.

A lot easier to pass on first and 10 than 3rd and 8+. But yes it will put more of the offense on Haskins shoulders.

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

A lot easier to pass on first and 10 than 3rd and 8+. But yes it will put more of the offense on Haskins shoulders.

The Green Bay game last year:

First half: The Skins ran on first down 10 of 11 times in the first half. I did not count the run on 1st & goal from the 2 yd line or the first down pass when they got the ball back with 51 seconds before halftime. 

Second half: (down 17-6 when they got the ball the first time) ran on first down 6 of 7 times. It would have been 7 of 7 but the Skins had a holding penalty and then threw on 1st after that. I did not count the 4 times they threw on first down during the final drive of the game (down by 2 scores) that started with 2:34 left in the game.  

That's 16 of 18 not counting the end of half/game and goal line plays.

At least they weren't predictable. 

Haskins will be just fine. Outside of a clear number one TE; we have weapons. Tmac as #1. Gibson and Simms for underneath relief and easy yards. AGG and Harmon for safety and possession.

Finally a running back stable for balance. We could sure up the line but that will always be the case.

Probably most importantly a defense to keep games close in addition to providing extra possessions and allow us to stay within our offense and minimize risky unwarranted behavior. If he fails... Allen can guide the ship until we find another premier passer.

I wish some people who have no faith in haskins could tell me specifics why? Last year he started rough, no doubt. But he’s a rookie. Doesn’t anyone remember his last three games? If I remember correctly he had no sacks, 7 tds? Like did a complete 180. Do we have any insider knowledge on if he’s been workin his ass off in the off season? I do t know what he’s like outside of the field at all, just curious why some are so negative on him because I thought he rocketed upwards those last couple weeks 

2 hours ago, redskins4ever28 said:

I wish some people who have no faith in haskins could tell me specifics why? Last year he started rough, no doubt. But he’s a rookie. Doesn’t anyone remember his last three games? If I remember correctly he had no sacks, 7 tds? Like did a complete 180. Do we have any insider knowledge on if he’s been workin his ass off in the off season? I do t know what he’s like outside of the field at all, just curious why some are so negative on him because I thought he rocketed upwards those last couple weeks 

I wanted to add, everyone keeps hyping Daniel Jones without question but of the two I think I would prefer to have a Haskins rookie season because Jones started off hot and deteriorated where Haskins was the reverse . 

I honestly expect a huge difference this year between having a gameplan crafted with Haskins as the starter by coaches with the clues and autonomy to implement it vs Haskins as an afterthought with coaches that didn't want him or give him reps. 

Some people want to be wanted, crave being "the guy", and I feel like DH is like that. Not a criticism, that feeds him, motivates him, but needs that limelight. He IS going to get the light, spotlight/ limelight/ bulb in your face interrogation light/whatever, so this is his year. I keep going back to his time @ OSU, he stumbled out of the gate but you could see him evolving as the year went on. Ron is going to expect that he got his time to stumble last year and he will need to do more than that now. I believe he will.

6 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

I wanted to add, everyone keeps hyping Daniel Jones without question but of the two I think I would prefer to have a Haskins rookie season because Jones started off hot and deteriorated where Haskins was the reverse . 

I have not been a big Jones guy to say the least.  He actually though didn't really deteriorate that much towards the end.  His slump was in the middle of the season.  Probably his biggest game was right towards the ends of the season ironically against us.  The dude put up Tom Brady numbers against us.  He had about 75% completion rate against us in the first matchup.  And in the 2nd, 350 plus yards with almost a 70 QBR.  I didn't realize until just looking at his numbers as to how well he played against us.   Thankfully he did light it up against us otherwise they would be sitting with Chase Young as opposed to us. 

I admit Daniel Jones has been better than I expected, I've seen almost all of his games. But some like Kiper and Cowherd (who is a fool), get ridiculously carried away both as to the pro Jones stuff and the anti-Haskins sentiment.     As for Haskins, I think he can potentially be better than Jones.   I am not 100% sold on either QB, yet.  But I think both can make it. I hope Daniel Jones crashes but I think he at a minimum looks serviceable.   I think both have a handicap this off season where they have to learn a new system without actually being able to practice the new system.  Sadly, I think all of Covid-19 stuff IMO gives a major advantage to veteran QBs and in our division it especially favors the Eagles because they are carrying on the same system. 

8 hours ago, redskins4ever28 said:

I think some Redskins' fans are so snake bit that when they say a half full glass they immediately dump the contents down the drain because their sure the liquid has spoiled.

I'm in the camp that has no idea what we have in Haskins. I was encouraged by his last few games and dismayed by his first appearances. Right now, he is clay and I have no idea what it will be sculpted into.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

.  Probably his biggest game was right towards the ends of the season ironically against us.  The dude put up Tom Brady numbers against us.  He had about 75% completion rate against us in the first matchup.  And in the 2nd, 350 plus yards with almost a 70 QBR. 

Part of that though, was that the defense was just that bad. I think many of them had mentally packed it away for the season, too. The coaches sure had no clue. So, Jones' resurgence against us might be fool's gold.

I'm pretty sure I could have thrown for 600 yards and 5 TDs against our defense if given a half.

13 TD's and 4 Ints in his last 5 games, I'll take that deterioration all day.

He was by far a better QB than Haskins was last year.

Daniel Jones threw more TDs in his rookie season than Haskins!

23 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I

Part of that though, was that the defense was just that bad. I think many of them had mentally packed it away for the season, too. The coaches sure had no clue. So, Jones' resurgence against us might be fool's gold.

I'm pretty sure I could have thrown for 600 yards and 5 TDs against our defense if given a half.

I battered Jones like mad in the draft thread before that draft.  But I admit he was better than I expected.  Yet, I am skeptical that he's this rock star on the rise that Kiper and some others purport.  Will see.  The dude played relatively well on the aggregate and not just versus the Redskins.  But I hope he stumbles. 

And IMO we can't really slam him for putting up big numbers against the Redskins because it weakens our own hype about Haskins because he essentially had two good games at the end one of which was versus the Giants who had a defense that was even worse than ours.   One of the only defenses which were worse than ours was the Giants. They gave up more points than we did, they were atrocious.  Their pass defense was ranked much worse than ours via Football Outsiders.  They had the 2nd worst pass defense in the NFL.  The Eagles defense was better but their secondary was shaky at the end.  But for me big numbers, are big numbers, so he looked good against both teams, and deserves the hype he got from it.   But I don't think we can take the same thing away from Jones when its apples to apples. 

The Daniel Jones-Haskins stuff IMO needs to be played out.  I think it's impossible to crown yet one over the other.  Jones had the better season clearly but he had more college experience and the context was different.  So IMO this story has yet to be written.   My gut right now is they both end up working out.   I would have taken Drew Lock over both of them.  It should be interesting.   Hopefully we have a season. 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

i am really excited to see what Scott Turner’s offense will look like... you would think his father’s (Norv) offensive scheme (play action, aggressive passing attack) must have had some influence over him but he also spent time working with Cam Newton and Christian McCaffrey...

57 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Didn't Jones start week 1?

Whats your point? You mean to tell me that starting week one and knowing during the off-season you are going to be the starter with a coaching staff dedicated to making a game plan to help you alone would be THAT much more beneficial to a young QB??

Good players are good players and the cream rises to the crop. **** all that other noise. Also Fumbles dont count. 

9 hours ago, redskins4ever28 said:

I don't think there are that many who have "no faith" in him. But there are plenty who are mixed, including myself.

I think part of it is multiple reports about him not having the best worth ethic, and part of it is that he still has some serious flaws in his fundamentals (footwork, mechanics, throwing platform when forced out of the pocket) that need to be addressed before he'll be able to consistently be a really good QB. I'll add though that none of that is surprising, given how few starts he had in college before coming into the NFL. It's something that multiple people noted before and after we drafted him...that we'd need to have patience with him. 

There are some very positive reports about how he's been working in the offseason, but the truth is that we just don't know how much he's progressed. We'll have to wait for the season to see.

11 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

Haskins will be just fine. Outside of a clear number one TE; we have weapons. Tmac as #1. Gibson and Simms for underneath relief and easy yards. AGG and Harmon for safety and possession.

Finally a running back stable for balance. We could sure up the line but that will always be the case.

Probably most importantly a defense to keep games close in addition to providing extra possessions and allow us to stay within our offense and minimize risky unwarranted behavior. If he fails... Allen can guide the ship until we find another premier passer.

I agree 100% with everything you said. He also needs to adjust to being a move the chains kind of guy.  Not advocating that he become a checkdown Charlie or something but more like Alex Smith and then set up the big plays. Get the ball to his playmakers early will improve his completion percentage and his yardage. 

Does anyone know what Scott Turner offense is like when it comes to screens? Man, I hated Andy Reid when he was with the Eagles. He will screen us to death. Would love to see us have something similar. 

55 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

i am really excited to see what Scott Turner’s offense will look like... you would think his father’s (Norv) offensive scheme (play action, aggressive passing attack) must have had some influence over him but he also spent time working with Cam Newton and Christian McCaffrey...

Listening to the Joe Banner interview (he worked with Scott) months back where he more of less said Scott wss ok but not the most creative or imaginative guy, didn't make me feel great.  And I noticed he's not a dude with much buzz around the league for whatever that's worth.

But I recall Warren Sharp liked his style.  And I am a big Sharp guy.  And I've liked what I've read about Scott since he arrived, so I think Banner might end up wrong about him.

I'll say though the same thing for him that I said about Haskins.  In all this craziness, its hard not to grade him on a curve.  It's not easy to istall a new offense in norma circumstances let alone without any OTAs, etc. 

10 minutes ago, WilberMarshall said:

Get the ball to his playmakers early will improve his completion percentage and his yardage. 

Does anyone know what Scott Turner offense is like when it comes to screens? Man, I hated Andy Reid when he was with the Eagles. He will screen us to death. Would love to see us have something similar. 

Distribution to his playmakers was how he was successful his final year at Ohio State. Remember he was knocked because of all the talent that team had and he was "only getting the ball to playmakers".

The Turner scheme is exciting with all the motions and shifts involved. This should provide more clearly defined reads and the ability to confuse the defense. With our speed that could be a big play waiting to happen.

Given CM's role in the offense in Carolina and the team's fondness of Gibson I think our screen game will be a heavy part of the offense. RB and WR screens.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Daniel Jones has been better than I expected, I've seen almost all of his games. But some like Kiper and Cowherd (who is a fool), get ridiculously carried away both as to the pro Jones stuff and the anti-Haskins sentiment. 

The stat that gets me was PFF's "interceptable passes" metric. I saw a report that he had 30 interceptable passes last year--they showed them all, it wasn't pretty. I think DBs Carlos Rogers-ed about 10 of them. That's one area Haskins has really shined--he does not turn the ball over much. He had the lowest turnover rate according to PFF, I think.

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The stat that gets me was PFF's "interceptable passes" metric. I saw a report that he had 30 interceptable passes last year--they showed them all, it wasn't pretty. I think DBs Carlos Rogers-ed about 10 of them. That's one area Haskins has really shined--he does not turn the ball over much. He had the lowest turnover rate according to PFF, I think.

I have a lot invested for Daniel Jones to fail. 😀  I said he's just a guy many times on the draft thread that year.  I have some family who are Giants fans who love to rub it in.  I'd love it for Daniel Jones to end up bad as some here think he is or believe that Haskins is a mile better or whatever.  But based on watching Jones, IMO he's better than some here think he is.  For a rookie to have a 2:1 TD ratio playing with a crappy supporting cast, isn't too bad.   But I'd love for my original prediction of him to come true.  Will see.    I think the book is not written yet on either QB.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I have a lot invested for Daniel Jones to fail. 😀  I said he's just a guy many times on the draft thread that year.  I have some family who are Giants fans who love to rub it in.  I'd love it for Daniel Jones to end up bad as some here think he is or believe that Haskins is a mile better or whatever.  But based on watching Jones, IMO he's better than some here think he is.  For a rookie to have a 2:1 TD ratio playing with a crappy supporting cast, isn't too bad.   But I'd love for my original prediction of him to come true.  Will see.    I think the book is not written yet on either QB.

Im definitely in that boat as well. The second worst intercept-able pass rate in the NFL and the 18 fumbles last year are good to see. I imagine Winston was the worst.

Sheehan today talked about what Joe Gibbs and Rivera is saying that Haskins- that Haskins has to demonstrate leadership.  Yesterday Doc Walker said Haskins has to command the locker room and lead the team and also talked about non-football issues like how he should dress for games, social media stuff, etc. He said Rivera is a no non sense guy with military background who can also relate to the players.  He said Haskins needs to really listen and hear what Rivera is saying about what he needs to do.  I think they are going to give him a long look but if he demonstrates through his actions that he is not completely getting the job done, then I believe Rivera will find another quarterback to replace Haskins.  Sheehan asked Rivera if he was pressured when hired to commit to Haskins by the owner and he said the owner just told him to evaluate the complete roster.

Archived