Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Name one name. And I'll happily admit I am wrong. Because there are many scouts who obviously have him as a 1st round grade.

Kevin Rogers, director of pro personnel, Indi. His father, my uncle was the oc at ND while Urban & Dan Mullen worked under him. Both named Kevin *Rogers, I just gave you a two for one special, my friend. 

You need admit nothing, I already know you’re wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's what I thought--you have nothing to back up your statement he was not a 1st round value. Let me know when you have something legitimate to add.

There may be some wording issues here - legitimate ones. The difference between where he would/should go in the draft and a true grade on him based on ability. 

Almost everyone had him going in the first rd - QBs that grade anywhere close to 1st rd talent are going in the first. But if you look at talent level and graded him not against that years draft group but where his actual talent level is, he graded out to be a 2nd rd maybe even a high 3rd rd. 

Still nothing wrong with Redskins drafting him in the 1st. You are not getting him in the 2nd. He probably doesn't last to 26 where they moved up to get Sweat. But in terms of talent he was a reach. 2nd/3rd rd talent. 

I still like his chances. He grew a lot in those last few games. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah that’s what I thought. It’s more of a “yeah, you have high end pro potential in a general sense” but not necessarily “**** yeah, I’d draft that mother ****er.”

The entirety of its function is to keep athletes from throwing eligibility away haphazardly. 

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Kevin Rogers, director of pro personnel, Indi. His father, my uncle was the oc at ND while Urban & Dan Mullen worked under him. Both named Kevin Rivers, I just gave you a two for one special, my friend. 

You need admit nothing, I already know you’re wrong. 

Was it that hard to answer the question in the first place? And all of them said he wasn't a 1st round grade?

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Was it that hard to answer the question in the first place? And all of them said he wasn't a 1st round grade?

Your factious predilections took the discussion where you wanted it, not I. Nothing is difficult, combative or not, we’re all just bored trying to entertain ourselves for a bit.

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Your factious predilections took the discussion where you wanted it, not I. Nothing is difficult, combative or not, we’re all just bored trying to entertain ourselves for a bit.

Whatever you wanna believe, chief. You won an internet argument. I am sure Urban Meyer will be proud.

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Whatever you wanna believe, chief. You won an internet argument. I am sure Urban Meyer will be proud.

You’re the only one grading a conversation & emotional about it. You’re welcome, btw. 

24 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

HAHA what!?

A rookie QB with a grotesque Oline, no veteran wr, no competent TE, an old rb nobody wanted, 3 rookie WRs, and a HC that wasn’t particularly good who didn’t want him .. ... he outperformed reasonable expectations. Nobody was less enthusiastic about DH, prior to the draft, than I was. 

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

A rookie QB with a grotesque Oline, no veteran wr, no competent TE, an old rb nobody wanted, 3 rookie WRs, and a HC that wasn’t particularly good who didn’t want him .. ... he outperformed reasonable expectations. Nobody was less enthusiastic about DH, prior to the draft, than I was. 

Fair play, but we agree then that its now or never, no excuses even if the team is not markedly improved this year talent wise

1 hour ago, ggarriso said:

Fair play, but we agree then that its now or never, no excuses even if the team is not markedly improved this year talent wise

Absolutely. I’m skeptical of what he can do consistently, I think bringing in Allen was a nice move, Haskins will have to earn it & he should be able to if he’s truly the QB of the future in DC. I’m hopeful, but not particularly optimistic. 

qbs like Haskins (big name team,boom year, elite attributes) generally go in the first round. someone takes a chance. While the talking heads may have been a little higher on him than pro scouts there is absolutely no way he was not a first or second round prospect. I don’t hate the move because we didn’t have to move up to get him though I would have preferred drafting a qb in year 1 with a new coach.

I have been very critical and remain very critical of Haskins, but I did like his poise in the pocket and some quick release mid to long range throws I saw. Difficult to teach those things.

if he can improve his fundamentals we can build around him. I don’t know if he has the maturity to do so and this is the redskins after all, so who knows if he’ll get the right support.

until then just throw to mclaurin every play.

14 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

qbs like Haskins (big name team,boom year, elite attributes) generally go in the first round. someone takes a chance. While the talking heads may have been a little higher on him than pro scouts there is absolutely no way he was not a first or second round prospect. I don’t hate the move because we didn’t have to move up to get him though I would have preferred drafting a qb in year 1 with a new coach.

I have been very critical and remain very critical of Haskins, but I did like his poise in the pocket and some quick release mid to long range throws I saw. Difficult to teach those things.

if he can improve his fundamentals we can build around him. I don’t know if he has the maturity to do so and this is the redskins after all, so who knows if he’ll get the right support.

until then just throw to mclaurin every play.

I think most had Haskins & Lock as pretty interchangeable with Lock slightly ahead on average. I hate that we’re unable to give DH the roster other rookies have due to Smiths contract & whatever is happening with Trent, he’s had some truly unfortunate circumstances to contend with. 

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I think most had Haskins & Lock as pretty interchangeable with Lock slightly ahead on average. I hate that we’re unable to give DH the roster other rookies have due to Smiths contract & whatever is happening with Trent, he’s had some truly unfortunate circumstances to contend with. 

Yeah he wasn’t supported well the first year. I also think he didn’t take advantage of the opportunities he did have.

I was telling people a week after the Alex smith injury that we needed to cut him as soon as possible and eat the dead money because he would never play football again. We took the longer route and it got us nowhere.

hopefully we can build a formidable defense and slowly build an offense, while seeing improvements from Haskins.

one thing I am worried about is the scoring. We were pathetic at moving the ball and putting up yardage. 150 passing yards a game ain’t cutting it.

on the flip side, a guy like Daniel Jones, I don’t know if he’ll make it either but I do know that he will at least be able to put up points. You will at least have a chance.

Last year was a wash. But it was a success as it achieved 4 things that this Team hasn’t done in forever: 

1. successfully tanked enough to put us in position to get an elite, generational talent without giving up assets

2. Finished the season without injuring our rookie qb ( physically or mentally)

3. removed the front office, coaching staff, and medical staff... and replaced them with competent and respected individuals

4. gave valuable playing time to rookies

If we had been able to move Trent back at the deadline, it would have been perfect. It’s too early to judge Dwayne. But I like the work he’s putting in, and think we are in the process of putting him in a position to succeed. 

Ok so for those in the know..if haskins is traded...let's say he struggles to pick up the offense and by week 4 Allen comes in and shines and leads the skins to the promise land(playoff appearance,or real close). The skins decide to move on from haskins and trade him. How much money would the skins be out on haskins?

6 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Last year was a wash. But it was a success as it achieved 4 things that this Team hasn’t done in forever: 

1. successfully tanked enough to put us in position to get an elite, generational talent without giving up assets

3. removed the front office, coaching staff, and medical staff... and replaced them with competent and respected individuals

If we had been able to move Trent back at the deadline, it would have been perfect. It’s too early to judge Dwayne. But I like the work he’s putting in, and think we are in the process of putting him in a position to succeed. 

I keep thinking of that play haskins made against the giants at home when they were down by the goal line and haskins took off like he was gonna run for the first but threw a dart to a wr in the corner of the endzone for the t.d...the way he had to torque his body to make the throw was awesome. That's when I knew the skins might have someone special.

8 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

So,..they didn't "tank".  That implies they were trying to lose games on purpose.  They were just a bad team and lost organically.

Um,...it wasn't serious but Dwayne did get injured and didn't finish the season.  As far as his mental "status" now,..who knows.

Yup, regime change and we all hope they're more "competent".  We'll have to see how it goes.

Yes, rookies definitely got playing time.

The reason Trent is still here is because Bruce is/was a ****ing asshole.  They had good offers, specially from the Browns to move him and the chose to play ****ing games and he's still here and an issue to contend with. 

Given that Dan just HAD to draft Dwayne in 2019 I hope he's given a true chance to start and be successful because I think he could be really good, but this situation is less that optimal for him.  And add in the abbreviated off-season due to covid-19 and it just compounds things.  Hell, it was bad coming into last year -- on-the-hot-seat HC, suspect Oline, talent deficient WR corp, etc.  It's always the smart move to draft a rookie QB when there's a good chance your HC is gonna be fired mid-season right?!  Yup, that always works out,..ha.  "Hey Jay, here's a rooke QB that played one season in college.  Make it work, get to the playoffs or you're fired!'  haha,..

Dan created this current QB situation, and now Rivera and company have to try and make it work.  In an alternate universe they've have never drafted Dwayne, Gruden still gets fired 5 games in and they still end up 3-13 with the 2nd pick overall.  You hire Rivera, they pick Tua.  Would have been so much easier.  

Oh well.

3 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Ok so for those in the know..if haskins is traded...let's say he struggles to pick up the offense and by week 4 Allen comes in and shines and leads the skins to the promise land(playoff appearance,or real close). The skins decide to move on from haskins and trade him. How much money would the skins be out on haskins?

I keep thinking of that play haskins made against the giants at home when they were down by the goal line and haskins took off like he was gonna run for the first but threw a dart to a wr in the corner of the endzone for the t.d...the way he had to torque his body to make the throw was awesome. That's when I knew the skins might have someone special.

Cam Newton had some great years in Carolina under RR and there's no reason why DH can't do the same. If he gets his confidence and is smart enough to learn defenses and pick up this new system then the sky's the limit. Haskins has a BIG arm and has shown he can be a great QB in college. Given help he should be great in DC....

23 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Cam Newton had some great years in Carolina under RR and there's no reason why DH can't do the same. If he gets his confidence and is smart enough to learn defenses and pick up this new system then the sky's the limit. Haskins has a BIG arm and has shown he can be a great QB in college. Given help he should be great in DC....

Yeah don't get me confused with not given Dwayne a shot... we all know Dan Snyder had his thumb in drafting Haskins and I truly believe he is stepping back and letting Riverboat Ron run things his way but I'm willing to bet anything he's put his word in that he wants Haskins as his quarterback hence why we will pick chase and haskins is starter week 1...if there's a season.

40 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Cam was the #1 pick in his draft.  He was a much better prospect coming out due to his mobility.  Haskins does not have Cam's mobility.  I don't think they are comparable at all.

45 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

For all of the "Haskins beat out Burrow" folks...Kyle Allen beat out Kyler Murray at Texas A&M.  

Allen beat out a true freshman, he started 5-0, got hurt, and he transferred out of A&M before Kyler. 

2 hours ago, Probos said:

Dan created this current QB situation, and now Rivera and company have to try and make it work.  In an alternate universe they've have never drafted Dwayne, Gruden still gets fired 5 games in and they still end up 3-13 with the 2nd pick overall.  You hire Rivera, they pick Tua.  Would have been so much easier.  

Oh well.

Slight amendment, Rivera & Turner chose to make this work. If Snyder is truly insisting on DH, it means Rivera & Turner chose him ... not all that long after playing against him. They must have seen something they liked if they’re here. 

Archived