Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don't necessarily disagree. But if Rivera truly wants to win now you can't rely on Haskins and, say, Chase Daniels. You have to have a good QB behind Haskins if Haskins struggles. 

Matt Moore. 

1. Played for RR in Carolina 
  2. Won games as a backup last year
  3. Is a free agent
  4. Isn't a huge threat to a young QB

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

Mariota isn't half bad.

I'd include Bortles on the list before Keenum. 

Winston would at least be entertaining, but I think he'll start for Tampa. 

I can't see Winston starting for TB....maybe you are proven correct but I think Arians goes in another direction....maybe Bridgewater?

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree with all of that except this part I don't know. To me it all comes down to his medical reports.  If he's clear and different team's doctors are reassured, then I doubt Tua is a green room guy waiting around like Aaron Rodgers was years back to be picked.   But if there is some serious doubt, I can see teams bypassing him.  

The thing most people are not talking about is Tua's medical history (both ankles and a hip; all lower body injuries). Some are, but right now there's a lot of energy being spent on what he could be for a team. The Redskins can ill-afford to pick up another player with medical questions. That ship has sailed. I remember Ron's exit conference. He spoke about the QB and how important it is to have stability and health at that position. Picking up Tua would be an absolute counter to that. I am not wishing negative on a player, but if one team doctor has question marks about his health, its a wrap. We'll see how his pro day goes. For me, I am looking to see if he'll be able to sit in the pocket and make pro throws. If not, Tua will have to use his legs to create which feeds into more injuries IMO. He better play for a team with a all pro tackle and monsters up front. And lets face it, defenses are going to test every injury he's ever had, so that hip better be flawless.

My current take, given all the information available:

If it’s not Tua - meaning medical doesn’t check out or Ron/Kyle aren’t sure on him...

It has to be Haskins this season that is the guy. Second year under new leadership, with the most important piece of the pie being Zampese. Haskins is more valuable to develop than bringing in a veteran guy to start. Including Cam Newton, Phillip Rivers, etc. 

He has the physical tools, and with the right guidance can at the very least be serviceable if not a very good NFL QB. 

I am not, in any way, sold on him because of two games against bad defenses. He still has a lot to prove. But giving him the ability to do that, if we don’t replace him with a higher rated rookie prospect, is more beneficial to the team and Haskins’ career trajectory. 

In that case, I’d like to see what a Mariota, Bortles, PJ Walker or Jordan Ta’amu bring to the table to be his backup. I don’t think any of them outright take his job, though I think they all may be able to at least play a little bit (the XFL guys have much more to prove than even Haskins). 

Two things: First, the major feature of the Gruden interview was his plan (and enthusiasm) to further develop and work with Griffin. We all know that was a complete ruse. Got him the job, though. I don't think Rivera takes the job unless he wields genuine power, which the former coaches did not, and in related fashion, he has assurances that decisions on football matters will rest with the football people, including (re)setting the roster and coaching staff as he sees fit.

Second, a major wild card here (indeed, probably an Ace) is Ken Zampese. The Haskins we saw last year might (and probably will be) drastically different than the one we see during this upcoming season. That is my hope, both for the Skins and for this young man. He now has a damn good QB coach - one of the best in the business - and will be paired with him and him alone. The cluttered coaching of the Gruden/Rasputin era is over. We had Cavanaugh - also one of the best - but never fully utilized him in that capacity. Then we had Haskins work with Tim Rattay (somebody hand me the smelling salts, Lord Jesus!). Later, he was handed off to an OC who had the most inflated sense of self I have ever seen, and spent as much time promoting himself to the media as he did doing what he should've never been entrusted with the responsibility to do in the first place. None of this was good for the QB room, and certainly not for a rookie who had only played one full season as a collegiate starter. THIS will be year 1 of Haskins' genuine NFL tutelage, with the added bonus of what amounts to an extended college-to-pros transition. It can't get much better than working/learning/developing in that tent with The Great Zampese.

20 hours ago, KDawg said:

Winston would at least be entertaining, but I think he'll start for Tampa. 

This is the thing that worries me the most with regards to Haskins.  I don't think he'll be a total bust, but if his floor is somewhere around where Winston is, I could see the team (aka Snyder) hanging on to him just hoping he eventually "gets it" when he actually never does.

15 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Matt Moore. 

1. Played for RR in Carolina 
  2. Won games as a backup last year
  3. Is a free agent
  4. Isn't a huge threat to a young QB

Not sure how or why I missed this, but didn't even realize he was a FA. 

I'm on board.

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is the thing that worries me the most with regards to Haskins.  I don't think he'll be a total bust, but if his floor is somewhere around where Winston is, I could see the team (aka Snyder) hanging on to him just hoping he eventually "gets it" when he actually never does.

Somehow Haskins in short time has me confident in his ability to protect the football. 

Overall, the pair aren’t dissimilar in terms of talent level. I don’t think the Redskins should abandon their first-round pick from a year ago. Tagovailoa has better and more consistent mechanics, which leads to superb accuracy and ball placement. Still, Haskins is plenty accurate himself and has a better handle on controlling protections at the line of scrimmage. While Tagovailoa is a year younger than Haskins, he has played more games. Tagovailoa started 24 games at Alabama, and played in others. Haskins has started 21 games in his career, including both in college and the NFL. They’re similar in talent. Unless Rivera and the Redskins feel that Haskins lacks the work ethic and leadership required to develop or that Tagovailoa would change the culture off the field, then they would be smart to try and develop the talent they already have in Haskins rather than hitting reset by drafting Tagovailoa.

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Overall, the pair aren’t dissimilar in terms of talent level. I don’t think the Redskins should abandon their first-round pick from a year ago. Tagovailoa has better and more consistent mechanics, which leads to superb accuracy and ball placement. Still, Haskins is plenty accurate himself and has a better handle on controlling protections at the line of scrimmage. While Tagovailoa is a year younger than Haskins, he has played more games. Tagovailoa started 24 games at Alabama, and played in others. Haskins has started 21 games in his career, including both in college and the NFL. They’re similar in talent. Unless Rivera and the Redskins feel that Haskins lacks the work ethic and leadership required to develop or that Tagovailoa would change the culture off the field, then they would be smart to try and develop the talent they already have in Haskins rather than hitting reset by drafting Tagovailoa.

Also, Haskins is HUGE. He has the 15 year starter kind of body. Tua is already riddled with injuries AND he has a small frame. 

It's nice to hear Haskins is putting in the extra time.

However, I still fear his mechanics will be all over the place under live fire at the first chance this fall.

Maybe raw QBs need to have medicine balls thrown at them all off season.

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Looks like he accidentally quoted Peterson instead of Scherff. Embarrassing tweet from a guy who is clearly in over his head.

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Just saw on Pro Football Reference that Haskins had the 3rd highest percentage of dropped passes last year out of a total of 38 QBs.

Get this man some reliable weapons.

Funky spin from bad mechanics imo. 

7 hours ago, volsmet said:

Funky spin from bad mechanics imo. 

Agree. That's not to say his receivers didn't do him disservice a few times. But Haskins mechanics played a fairly significant role in the drop issue. 

Archived