Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Let's say for the sake of argument that Haskins is a prime Big Ben clone and Tua is a prime Drew Brees clone. 

Do people pass on the opportunity to draft a prime Julius Peppers clone in order to upgrade from Ben to Brees?

No.

Lets pretend for the sake of argument Tua is Brees and Haskins is Patrick Ramsey after he’s damaged. Do you pass on Brees to draft Peppers?

https://sports.yahoo.com/redskins-rivera-willing-gamble-no-184808726.html?src=rss

Lots of draft posturing and things we already know, but also this interesting tidbit:

"I think we have a very good, young player," Rivera said. "The more we break down, the more we learn about him, I think it puts us in a pretty good spot. I am excited about him. One thing that I have seen is his commitment. He's been around a lot. When I make my rounds during the day, and I'll walk by the weight room, there he is. I walk by the locker room, there he is. That to me is a sign of a young man that is learning he needs to be around."

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

John Keim on the Junks this morning said EXACTLY what I have been trying to say this entire time.

If Dwayne had not come out 2 years early --- had gone back to Ohio State and, on a more loaded team, put up similar numbers en route to a Heisman-finalist type of season ... what sort of discussion would we be having right now about the QBs at the top of this draft.

Oct

On 10/7/2019 at 11:22 AM, volsmet said:

People overdo the phrase reading defenses, plenty of guys get half a field to read, you can simplify a game plan enough for just about any pocket passer who was worthy of being drafted, DH isn’t Tyree Jackson. Pitt just lost their starter & backup after trading their #3.... and an udfa from Samford was competent enough v the Ravens. 

Anyone suggesting DH will need 2 years, before he can function, is full of wheat thins. If DH was still at OSU he’d be mocked ahead of everyone but Tua. 

Sept

On 9/29/2019 at 10:30 PM, volsmet said:

If you think Tua is a transcendent guy, then it’s simple. We’re always at a new starting point, when a decision was made shouldn’t be relevant, taking Haskins/any qb a year ago shouldn’t matter if you’re not sold on the player. Look at the nfl, a league of Keenum’s rotating from city to city ... if you believe Tua is one of the rare difference makers, you take him and it’s the easiest decision of your life. The rare QB makes everyone else better, that QB is an upgrade at every position ... if you can get that, you’re blessed.

This guy is consistently ahead of the other humans. 

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Let's say for the sake of argument that Haskins is a prime Big Ben clone and Tua is a prime Drew Brees clone. 

Do people pass on the opportunity to draft a prime Julius Peppers clone in order to upgrade from Ben to Brees?

I wouldn't.  I'd ride with what we got in that context.   If the guarantee would be it goes down that way.

And I'll keep doubling down that I don't have this possible puzzle figured out.  But I'll also double down that no one else on this thread has it figured out either.  I don't think it's a homer versus non homer position.  Or an Haskins versus anti-Haskins position.   We are all on the same side.

It's I'll trust whatever they think about it.  But yeah for me I'd love Haskins to be that guy and we get Chase, too.  I still think that is what happens.  But I suspect it might be a bumpy ride to that destination.

And I agree with @JSSkinz  I think Rivera successfully has pulled off some major confusion.  I am a bit of a media junkie and love to at least try to find common narratives and i am more inclined to believe common denominator type of stories.  But on the Tua stuff.    I really don't have a good feel for it.  There is plenty there to think heck yes they might do it.  And likewise plenty to think no, they are riding with Haskins.  If it is an intentional smoke screen they've done a good job of it.

I suspect though it isn't a game and they are just doing research on the prospects and making a decision accordingly.  Why not dive in and learn all you can about Tua for example, what do you got to lose.  Maybe your conclusion is he's the next Drew Brees or maybe its he's overrated?  But why not try to figure it out?

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No.

Lets pretend for the sake of argument Tua is Brees and Haskins is Patrick Ramsey after he’s damaged. Do you pass on Brees to draft Peppers?

We could also pretend Tua is Mariota who gets hurt a lot then becomes a shell of himself, and Haskins is Ramsey.  Neither QB pans out but the team has a chance at Peppers.

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This is a really interesting take. The issue is we don’t know yet if Haskins is more “Big Ben” or Byron Leftwich. That said I agree on Young. 

This is a lay up people, take Young and don’t look back!

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

We could also pretend Tua is Mariota who gets hurt a lot then becomes a shell of himself, and Haskins is Ramsey.  Neither QB pans out but the team has a chance at Peppers.

Agreed. We can make up anything we want! It’s wonderful :)

4 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/redskins-rivera-willing-gamble-no-184808726.html?src=rss

Lots of draft posturing and stuff in this article we already know, but I this interesting tidbit:

"I think we have a very good, young player," Rivera said. "The more we break down, the more we learn about him, I think it puts us in a pretty good spot. I am excited about him. One thing that I have seen is his commitment. He's been around a lot. When I make my rounds during the day, and I'll walk by the weight room, there he is. I walk by the locker room, there he is. That to me is a sign of a young man that is learning he needs to be around."

I am sure some will take the position of: What is he supposed to say? He could have said nothing. Yet he choose those words. It could all be a smoke screen. I doubt it. Ron does not seem a like a guy who plays games. He says what he means.

BTW: I have meant to tell you - I really like your signature. That picture of a beaten and confused Parcells is priceless. He has said in many an interview that Joe Gibbs was hands down the best coach he ever coached against. 

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

BTW: I have meant to tell you - I really like your signature. That picture of a beaten and confused Parcells is priceless. He has said in many an interview that Joe Gibbs was hands down the best coach he ever coached against. 

Thank you! That picture puts a smile on my face, I'm glad others enjoy it too.

11 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

That to me is a sign of a young man that is learning he needs to be around."

This seems to be the obvious theme.  Keim talked about they have a plan to push Haskins.  Doug is clearly doing it.  Scott Turner referenced it.    My guess is the more they see Haskins going to town the less likely they draft Tua.  But you don't have to be a rocket scientist to piece together this narrative -- its practically a billboard.

My hope is Haskins kills it this off season.  And we draft Chase Young. 

3 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Thank you! That picture puts a smile on my face, I'm glad others enjoy it too.

I remember that game very clearly.  That was Chris Cooley's night, man.  He absolutely shined and we had quite a stud for a while after that.  Still my favorite Redskin years later.

So I think I’ve figured out why exactly I want to stick with Haskins.  Obviously Young (or a trade back I’d it comes to that) plays a big part, but...

Haskins has shown me enough to believe he has the goods in terms of tangible tools.  The major thing I’m waiting to see (which could sink the whole ship) is the intangible effort/preparation/maturity angle.  

Tua, on the other hand, I have no real concerns about the intangibles.  With him, though I have a major concern on the number one tangible aspect of qbing (and playing in the League period) - availability.  

So it’s a bit of a toss-up between the two for me.  I might lean toward Tua a bit, but this is where weighing in Young comes into play.  So I’m in the ride with Haskins for this year camp.  

It might be the wrong choice, I have no idea, but I don’t think I’ll have any real regrets about the decision.  

2 hours ago, TheDiplomat said:

Little off the current topic, but insightful. I for one like his demeanor. Have since we drafted him. The in-game selfie was embarrassing, but I'll give him a pass as I believe the emotions got the best of him during his first W.

GQ - My first Million

Geez, the dyslexia is just dripping off that video...

Finlay just on saying he's talked to a bunch of people in Indy around the team.  He said on the Tua stuff he doesn't know.  He's guessing its more likely a smoke screen than not but he said it's possible.   He'd bet on Chase Young or a trade down but won't rule out Tua.   He said he hears Tua's medicals will be cleared in the next two weeks. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Finlay just on saying he's talked to a bunch of people in Indy around the team.  He said on the Tua stuff he doesn't know.  He's guessing its more likely a smoke screen than not but he said it's possible.   He'd bet on Chase Young or a trade down but won't rule out Tua.   He said he hears Tua's medicals will be cleared in the next two weeks. 

I think the scan for cartilage is April 1st or so. So that part doesn’t seem right.

But if I were a betting man I’d bet on Young, too. I just don’t think this is a slam dunk like many here have been saying since the day after the season ended. Hence the “Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young” thread. 

Im really all aboard whatever way this team wants to go. Unless we don’t wind up with Tua, Chase, BarrOKUDAH or The Pterodactyl. Then I’ll be sad. And still try to back the team. But I’ll be sad when I do it.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think the scan for cartilage is April 1st or so. So that part doesn’t seem right.

But if I were a betting man I’d bet on Young, too. I just don’t think this is a slam dunk like many here have been saying since the day after the season ended. Hence the “Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young” thread. 

Im really all aboard whatever way this team wants to go. Unless we don’t wind up with Tua, Chase, BarrOKUDAH or The Pterodactyl. Then I’ll be sad. And still try to back the team. But I’ll be sad when I do it.

Not sure but listening to Finlay, something is cooking in about 2 weeks in the mix.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/latest-tua-tagovailoa-update-indicates-qb-could-be-very-early-draft-pick/ar-BBZR9dg

The good news keeps pouring in for Tua Tagovailoa. The latest health update for the former Alabama quarterback is all positive, which would be a good indicator that he will go very early in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media shared Monday that the three-month CT scan for Tagovailoa “was as positive as possible.” The reporter noted that the fracture has fully healed, that the hip and range of motion is good, and finished by saying “the expectation is for a very good medical exam at the Combine” if Tagovailoa’s recovery continues to progress the way it has so far.

If Tua’s health continues this way, the expectation is for a very good medical exam at the Combine. https://t.co/W1PKrxzNUo

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 10, 2020

Tagovailoa will still not be cleared for football activities for another month, per Rapoport, but teams needing a quarterback have to be thrilled with the progress he has made since going down in a heap following a brutal hit last November.

Initially, Tagovailoa’s injury was compared to the one Bo Jackson suffered, which ended his career. It turned out not to be the case, and the marvels of modern science heavily contributed as well to what’s been a swift, and totally successful recovery for Tagovailoa. He’s set to be ready for a pro day prior to the draft, and teams will have him in for private workouts.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not saying take Tua.  But I don't get the sentiment that you don't even consider it?  I'd consider everything. 

If Rivera does his due diligence and concludes that Tua is one of the best QBs he's ever studied and is possibly an all-time great, he has to draft him.  If he doesn't feel that way, I really hope he drafts Young, because I believe he is going to be special.

Archived