Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, dyst said:

I mean even last year. Dude looked lost. 

Even last year? Even last year? His rookie year that he started the end of and progressively played better and better as it went on? One year of starting in college and a handful of games at the end of the year in the NFL on an absolute **** show cluster**** of a team? And he improved greatly. 

I can understand tire kicking, but I don't understand character assassination of the level that some seem to be obsessing on. If he busts he busts, but we have to let him bust. If he busts we will be pick another QB, if that one busts we will pick again.

IMHO its a waste of resources to draft Tua (particularly that high because of his injury), but I can understand people being enamored with him. I don't understand this desire to paint a picture of Haskins when he hasn't even had a chance to show what he is. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been a Tua guy for years.  I love him as a player.  I love his intangibles.  If he's healthy I think he's a stud.  But I also hate the idea of this of all teams gambling on an injury prone QB.  So I am torn.    Ideally, I'd love it if the FO sees Haskins in the most optimistic tones that his biggest believers in him see him.   But if they don't, you'll get no complaints from me about Tua with the disclaimer that this organization seems jinxed when it comes to injuries so it would be just our luck that Tua is drafted and boom he has some career ending thing happen to him in training camp. 

Yeah, if Tua was healthy, I would probably be 50/50 on taking him or not.  But given the injury history, I think it would be a huge mistake, unless there's something I don't know about Haskins.  Bullock pretty accurately echoes my feelings on this whole thing.

14 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

He would have to be Josh Rosen.

Nothing saying he isn’t.

But, there’s equally nothing saying he is. That’s the hardest part with him. He showed some promise. Some signs of looking lost. 

He’s totally in the gray. And that’s why this is difficult. If he were a definitive bust, it would be easy to make the call on drafting Tua at 2. But he’s not. If he were a slam dunk, it would be easy to make the call on drafting Young. But he’s not. So now we have to weigh every detail. And even then there’s a good shot either decision could be great or horrendous. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Nothing saying he isn’t.

But, there’s equally nothing saying he is. That’s the hardest part with him. He showed some promise. Some signs of looking lost. 

He’s totally in the gray. And that’s why this is difficult. If he were a definitive bust, it would be easy to make the call on drafting Tua at 2. But he’s not. If he were a slam dunk, it would be easy to make the call on drafting Young. But he’s not. So now we have to weigh every detail. And even then there’s a good shot either decision could be great or horrendous. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he is nowhere near Josh Rosen. Rosen got demonstrably worse as the season wore on. Haskins, whatever he may be, is better than Rosen.

The idea of Tua at 2--not matter who I read, how I look at it--just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me.

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, if Tua was healthy, I would probably be 50/50 on taking him or not.  But given the injury history, I think it would be a huge mistake, unless there's something I don't know about Haskins.  Bullock pretty accurately echoes my feelings on this whole thing.

For me, I like Haskins talent.  I like him as a dude.  I've mentioned several times my kids interaction with him.  But nope I don't think the work ethics questions about him have been brought up by reporter after reporter are just made up -- though I do think that all could be on the mend, and I'd even entertain the idea that there was context to it -- but I want them (the FO) to be reassured about all of that.  That's my main hang up.  It's only a hang up with me because I am convinced its a hang up with them -- and that's not because I just want to believe it.  It's quite the opposite, I'd much rather not believe it but I cant just pretend its not being said to death and just always look at the glass half full.

I do think they are likely egging on Haskins on purpose to motivate him.  I do think if Haskins keeps on edge this off season, it will be a good thing for him.   The thing I like the most about Haskins is he's a competitive dude, comes off like a gamer.  And like I said, I actually like their plan or so it seems to keep Haskins guessing and challenging him.  If I am pushed to an opinion on him I'd lean optimistic.  I think he's a nice guy, smart dude and a gamer.  If motivation is his achilles heel so to speak and he needs to be egged on -- then egg him on.  I don't see that as cruel or wrong or whatever.  We all have buttons to push and if that's the button then push it. 

As to Tua.  If I try to tap into my emotions, I'd take him.  My kid is an Alabama fan.  I've seen them play 3 times in the last two years live.  I've been touting Tua on the draft thread for years.  I loved what I've read about him over the years.    Great guy.  Leader.  Workaholic.  Intangibles through the roof.  And talk about completing the turning this team into Alabama. 😀

Then the clinical side of me thinks this dude has been banged up so much and he's not the biggest dude playing the position.  Personally, I'd lean with trying to ride it with Haskins and draft Chase Young. I disagree with those who say that if Haskins doesn't work out no big deal we'd be in a similar position to go fishing again for a top QB prospect.  You never know, maybe?  But us being in position to take one of the two top prospects at Qb landing at our spot is a unique opportunity versus a here we ago again so what should we do this time type of scenario.  I think if anything the fact that this is a unique opportunity is what makes it an interesting decision.

If his health checks out and Kyle Smith sees Tua like Saban does, I do think its presents at least a dilemma that demands some thought. 

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/02/nick-saban-compares-tua-tagovailoa-to-aaron-rodgers-drew-brees.html

Before the Alabama-LSU game in Baton Rouge two years ago, Brees said he “couldn’t be more impressed” with Tagovailoa’s style of play.

In comparing Tagovailoa’s traits to NFL quarterbacks, Saban gave Sports Illustrated the usual comparison to Brees but also mentioned another of the league’s most accomplished passers.

“I think he’s a lot like Drew Brees. I always thought Aaron Rodgers was a lot like that as a player too,” Saban said. “Not overly big, accurate with the ball, really good judgment, decision-making. Those guys are the style of player. I would never say the expectation should be he would accomplish what those guys have, I’d never wanna put that on a guy. But that’s the style of player he is.”

I just watched a segment on NFL Network on this.  Silver talking about it.   He doubled down that if Tua's medical checks out he thinks it's a viable possibility for the Redskins.   He said he and Dan talked about what Rivera thinks about Haskins and Tua and the other big Qbs in this draft before he got hired.   Like I said , Silver I trust on Rivera more than anyone, he was the dude who broke the story about Dan hiring him.  He's the dude who sat down with Rivera for a day months back. 

At a minimum hearing it from Silver, I would say its a very good chance that they aren't just simply humoring themselves and posturing when it comes to these QB interviews.  It's at least on the table even if they don't ultimately pull the trigger on it. 

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he is nowhere near Josh Rosen. Rosen got demonstrably worse as the season wore on. Haskins, whatever he may be, is better than Rosen.

The idea of Tua at 2--not matter who I read, how I look at it--just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me.

See, I don't put as much stock in Haskins early season struggles or his end of season thriving. He's still the same project quarterback. And he's minus 1 year of development because of the horrendous situation he was drafted into.

Part of my discomfort with him is him, sure, but a lot of it is that I don't believe he should have even been drafted under the following criteria:

1) The football people had him as a second round grade

2) Snyder wanted to draft him, so they did with their first rounder.

3) We had to use a second to move up and get the guy the football people wanted. Thus leaving us short a 2 this year.

4) The reason I feel he shouldn't have been drafted - Snyder meddled and drafted a guy at 15 that our football side thought was not worth that pick

5) Second reason I feel he shouldn't have been drafted, and this is the important one in my eyes the organization set him up to fail. Lame duck coach, that if they were even thinking about firing, they should have. But by keeping him, they ensured stunted growth on a significant developmental prospect of a quarterback. If I were Gruden I'm not sure I'd try to get a project QB ready to roll when I know I'm a loss away from losing my job. So, by doing all of that... They set this dude up for failure.

6) Third reason, Haskins doesn't thrive in a "sit off and watch" environment. This was something I learned this season as I was big time on the "sit him for as long as necessary" wagon. But after seeing how he responded to being the backup vs. being the starter, its clear he doesn't take being the backup as serious as being the starter. He needed to start from day one. And in the situation the Redskins were, with a lame duck coach needing to win now to survive, he wasn't going to get that kind of preparation.

7) There is now a new regime that shouldn't feel like they have to hitch their wagons to the previous regime's quarterback (well, Snyder is current regime... but...). 

If the current group feels they can roll with Haskins, I'll be uneasy, but I'll trust that they have their finger on the pulse of the situation.

I will support Dwayne if he is our quarterback. Doesn't mean I won't be critical. But I've been critical of any player that's been here that I didn't think was getting it done.

We fundamentally disagree on Tua, but I hope my stance on Haskins is starting to become more clear at this point. It's not a blind dislike of the guy. I feel like he got a bad start here and shouldn't even be in this situation. Our old FO screwed it up and now he has to pay for it by them head hunting him. That's just not right. 

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We fundamentally disagree on Tua

We do. I think Chase is the better player. Haskins did enough to warrant a year under sane leadership. If he looked totally lost and didn't improve at all, fine, move on. But, we shall see...

Just remember:

1. Land war in Asia

2. Sicilian with Death on the line

3. Believing anything being said this time of year

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

At a minimum hearing it from Silver, I would say its a very good chance that they aren't just simply humoring themselves and posturing when it comes to these QB interviews.  It's at least on the table even if they don't ultimately pull the trigger on it. 

Or its Rivera and Silver have a bit of a quid-pro-quo...

19 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Or its Rivera and Silver have a bit of a quid-pro-quo...

Maybe but its been said by many that Rivera isn't a cagy dude like Shanny.  He's straight forward and honest typically.  In his press conferences if you noticed if he doesn't want to answer a question because it would give something away he just says look I can't answer that or it wouldn't be in the best interest of the team to answer that or something to that extent.

So if Rivera saying it's not just due diligence flat out and the reporter closest to him says its seriously on the table.  I'd trust that it likely is.  Otherwise it would be Rivera flat out lying and also using a reporter to do some dirty work for him.  It's possible but I don't think that's how he rolls.  But will see. 

As crazy as some think that the Redskins would consider Tua.  I think it would be crazy for them not to consider Tua. To each their own as to opinions on this.  But for me, why not?

Why limit your options unless you think you are 100% sure you have a franchise QB?  I know some here suggest he is a franchise QB or very confident he will be.  But at the very least there is a ton of smoke that they have some questions about whether Haskins is that dude.  Keim just said it again this morning.  

I am not saying take Tua.  But I don't get the sentiment that you don't even consider it?  I'd consider everything. 

11 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

In a vacuum, sure, consider it. But not with someone like Chase Young sitting there.

I've been on the Chase Young train before it was even cool.  😀   I am pretty sure I was the first guy to even say I am not trading down if Chase lands at my pick -- way back in the fall.    @volsmet has me beat talking about Chase back when he was even a high school player.  It's hard to find two bigger fans of Chase than the two of us, yet we both are pushing the narrative to at least consider Tua.   And its not because I don't think Chase is elite.  The dude to me is special.

But I want the team to be convinced that Haskins is the goods or at least aren't in love with Tua.   If Haskins ends up lets say like Andy Dalton and Saban is right and Tua is the next Aaron Rodgers or Brees then no doubt we'd regret it regardless of how good Chase Young becomes.  As Kiper said, you could have 3 Chase Youngs but if you don't have a QB you aren't winning a SB.  And I am not saying Haskins isn't that guy.  I don't know.  I'd leave it to Kyle Smith to figure it out.  I'd trust his take on this over my opinion or anyone else here.  He's got more information than we do and much more expertise. 

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So if Rivera saying it's not just due diligence flat out and the reporter closest to him says its seriously on the table.  I'd trust that it likely is.  Otherwise it would be Rivera flat out lying and also using a reporter to do some dirty work for him.  It's possible but I don't think that's how he rolls.  But will see. 

"I just think it's what you're supposed to do," Rivera told the Redskins Talk podcast on Thursday in Indianapolis. "Of course, that's one thing that people want to jump on and sink their teeth into and create stuff. All we're doing is our due diligence. If we don't look at those guys and something crazy happened, then we'd sit there and look silly."

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But I want the team to be convinced that Haskins is the goods or at least aren't in love with Tua. 

I don't know you can be convinced ANYONE is the goods after just 7 starts--and I cannot get over the severe injury concerns with Tua. Just seems like a lot of misdirection.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

"I just think it's what you're supposed to do," Rivera told the Redskins Talk podcast on Thursday in Indianapolis. "Of course, that's one thing that people want to jump on and sink their teeth into and create stuff. All we're doing is our due diligence. If we don't look at those guys and something crazy happened, then we'd sit there and look silly."

17 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Land war in Asia

Sicilian with death on the line

Believing anything anyone says this time of year.

I hear you.  I don't disagree that there is a lot of smoke at this time of the year.  Heck my gut remains they take Chase still at #2 and i am beyond fine with it.  Love Chase Young.

But too much smoke for me to believe that they aren't at least considering Tua.    If they want to drum trading interest the better leak IMO is that the Lions are interested in Tua.   Considering Chase Young is an elite prospect, IMO the Redskins don't have to pretend to like Tua to drum up interest for the pick or make the case that they are giving up a lot to move out of that spot.  The opportunity cost for trading out of that pick is obvious with or without any feigned interest in Tua.   In other words the leverage already exists. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 3.41.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 3.43.11 PM.png

The team has done a great job of making this whole scenario compelling. 

It could very well be that they spoke to Dwayne weeks ago and told him he was the guy, expect to see all kinds of crap leaked and don't pay attention to any of it.

But if that's not the case I'm worried that Jay didn't like him and now Ron comes in and we hear the things that everyone here has heard over the last few weeks.

I have no proof but I can't imagine that Ron took this job on the condition Haskins has to be the starter, he doesn't seem like that kind of coach. If he did take the job under that condition then he must love Dwayne but that doesn't fit what we've been hearing.

Lots of angles, not sure what to believe.

It would have to be 3 team deal but I love the someone to trade with us  for the #2 for the right to take Tua but we also get the Lions involved; so can just move down one spot and still take Chase.  While Detroit would get alot from the deal; we would still manage to get Chase and at least a 2nd rounder this year and an additional pick next year.  

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

It would have to be 3 team deal but I love the someone to trade with us  for the #2 for the right to take Tua but we also get the Lions involved; so can just move down one spot and still take Chase.  While Detroit would get alot from the deal; we would still manage to get Chase and at least a 2nd rounder this year and an additional pick next year.  

We'd have to get the Lions to deal the #3 pick and give up on Chase Young. They'd fleece us, and that's IF they'd even consider it. They'd be absolutely salivating if he were there for them at #3 and would probably want basically what we gained in the trade back with Miami (assuming that's who would trade up as they have the ammo). Detroit's pass rush is awful and one of the main reasons their pass defense was so horrific. I actually doubt they'd even deal that pick. They'd send us a bunch of flowers for being stupid enough to pass on Chase Young and then immediately snatch him up in a heartbeat. 

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Theisman just on Dukes and he went off on the idea of Tua at 2. All of it revolved around passing on Chase and being a dream add to a team led by Rivera and Del Rio. 

fascinating. He basically called the national guys idiots 

Yep I posted earlier today, Theismann said on 980 this morning he'd take Burrow if he fell to #2 but not Tua. 

20 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Theisman just on Dukes and he went off on the idea of Tua at 2. All of it revolved around passing on Chase and being a dream add to a team led by Rivera and Del Rio. 

fascinating. He basically called the national guys idiots 

Theismann has some questionable opinions.

Tough to argue his, or the national media’s angles here, though. Both have merit.

47 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Land war in Asia

Sicilian with death on the line

Believing anything anyone says this time of year.

That goes for anything you hear about Haskins being the QB, too.

Thats the beauty. All of it could be smoke screens and they have no idea what they’re gonna do yet. 

Archived